Fire:Aid - March 3rd @ Miss Libertines

The forum to discuss the upcoming event held in Melbourne to raise funds for charities currently involved with the Victorian 2006 Bushfire disasters.
breaksRbest

Fire:Aid - March 3rd @ Miss Libertines

Post by breaksRbest »

Following on from the very successful Beat:Aid party that MB.C organised almost 2 years ago a few of us have decided to do it all over again, this time to benefit people in our own back yard, particularly those affected by the fires that are burning across half our state.

This idea is only 3 days old and already the awesome people at Miss Libertines have offered all 3 rooms for a full 24 hour period for FREE!

The idea so far is to go from 9pm on Saturday until 9pm on Sunday.

Beat:Aid was organised and promoted in just 10 days, this time we have a couple of months which will hopefully translate into raising a shitload more $$$ for our chosen charity.

We haven't decided on an exact charity as yet, but we are thinking something along the lines of Firefighters Widows or the council of the worst hit town in Victoria.
What are your opinions on where the money should go?

We would produce another CD, have a raffle, BBQ on the Sunday arvo and possibly even an Art Auction.

So, what ya reckon?
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
ShiKung

Post by ShiKung »

I was thinking this myself!

Bring it! I'm prepared to put 100% of my efforts into this! Put me down on the list.

Um.. will think about the money question. No doubt somebig company might start a worthwhile donation pledge relief package thing we could just ad to!
gnat

Post by gnat »

Sign me up Chicken 8)

Good idea

Money where it's needed- to help people rebuild their homes and lives
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

me too, anything i can do to help organise.

most of my djs would be up for donating their time im pretty sure.

props.
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Would love to be involved, Glenn. Let me know how I can be of assistance. Good on ya!!!
8)
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

Count me in - I'm happy to contribute in any way that I can to this worthy cause!

Perhaps a new forum dedicated to the Fire:Aid effort (a la the Beat:Aid effort) would be a good idea?

Gah, typos.
Last edited by system on Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Brilliant BRB, just brilliant. An art auction is a fantastic idea too, I think there are heaps of talented artists out there. :D

My vote goes to the Widows of Firefighters. A house can be rebuilt, but if someone loses their life in the struggle I think that their family should take precedence.
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
Brain

Post by Brain »

Awesome idea Glenny. The firefighters deserve any help they can get becasue they put their lives on the line for us. Let's do it. :smt023
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

system wrote:Count me in - I'm happy to contribute in any way that I can to this worthy cause!

Perhaps a new forum dedicated to the Fire:Aid effort (a la [url=http://melbournebeats.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=4]the Beat:Aid effort[/url) would be a good idea?
Lucas will be sorting out a seperate forum for this very soon

Love your work guys! thic can't be pulled off without ya :smt023
marcus

Post by marcus »

Great proposal Glenn.

Will have a think about where money should go. Some other organisations include: 1. CFA? 2. Some type of wildlife organisation which looks after injured animals due to fire?

Also, I'd like to see a BBQ day style event. Lot more fun I reckon, and Miss Libertine's would be perfect for it.
Stylus Radio :: Every 2nd Sunday :: 6-8pm AEST :: http://www.nsbradio.co.uk
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

marcus wrote: Also, I'd like to see a BBQ day style event. Lot more fun I reckon, and Miss Libertine's would be perfect for it.

9pm Satdee till 9pm Sundee

;)
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

marcus wrote: Also, I'd like to see a BBQ day style event. Miss Libertine's would be perfect for it.
:smt045 Sunday bbq's styles, in the sun out the front there. For shizzle. I meant that pun this time :roll: :lol:

Charity organisations do so many wonderful things, and have so many people give to them to do their bit. Id love to be able to donate to somewhere that maybe might miss the 'standard' charity givings, if that makes sense? Like widows of firefighters, or perhaps give it to an actual town directly....

So many worthy places to consider.

I fucking love this idea.

BIG UP BrB :smt049 :smt041 :smt055
marcus

Post by marcus »

breaksRbest wrote:
marcus wrote: Also, I'd like to see a BBQ day style event. Lot more fun I reckon, and Miss Libertine's would be perfect for it.

;)
That would be one long rave!
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

It could be worth donating to the CFA to allow them to buy new equipment. That way the fire crews are better equipped to tackle the fires and hopefully prevent them spreading.

I was listening to Eat It on RRR yesterday and they were interviewing one of the Dal Zotto family, who have a vineyard at Cheshunt in the King Valley, where the early fires swept through. They are helping their local CFA to buy new equipment by donating $1 to their local CFA from each bottle of wine purchased.
Just because I rock, doesn't mean I'm made of stone.
marcus

Post by marcus »

Polecat wrote:It could be worth donating to the CFA to allow them to buy new equipment. That way the fire crews are better equipped to tackle the fires and hopefully prevent them spreading.

I was listening to Eat It on RRR yesterday and they were interviewing one of the Dal Zotto family, who have a vineyard at Cheshunt in the King Valley, where the early fires swept through. They are helping their local CFA to buy new equipment by donating $1 to their local CFA from each bottle of wine purchased.
Was just about to write that!

My folks used to have a property up near Woodend, and the local CFA station would use to do fundraising around town to assist in acquiring new equipment. Might be an idea to join in on that, and get a MBC logo on an actual piece of equipment bought using funds. Would be something tangible which could be seen being put to good use saving property etc.
nic

Post by nic »

Like PC said I think the money raised should go to equipment and support resources for those fighting fires like CFA, not for people that have had their houses burnt out.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

nic wrote:Like PC said I think the money raised should go to equipment and support resources for those fighting fires like CFA, not for people that have had their houses burnt out.

:scr1pt: There will be many charities (as well as various Government and media organisations) helping the pople affected. Sorting out the CFA with more equipment sounds like a great idea!
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

marcus wrote:
breaksRbest wrote:

;)
That would be one long rave!
Nah, its not just a 'rave'. Im hoping we can encorporate a lot of other things into this that appeal to ALL the community on some level. And more time open, more cashola can be raised eh! If people cant make it on the saturday, then there is an option to attend sunday to still help out. :D

Keep the ideas coming people, this is great!

Melburn :smt049 being shared is whats it all about. Cos how good is Melbourne really 8) :smt055
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

Big ups! Think it is a great idea.
J Gal

Post by J Gal »

Bus sammy and glenn, such an amazing idea... Will do anything i can to help... Haylee and i have decided to work the whole 24hrs of fireaid , would love to get friends and family to donate a couple of bucks for each hour we last, to raise more money. So it's kinda like the 24hr famine.
These are the days of our lolz
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

J Gal wrote:Haylee and i have decided to work the whole 24hrs of fireaid , would love to get friends and family to donate a couple of bucks for each hour we last, to raise more money. So it's kinda like the 24hr famine.
:smt041 :smt041
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

Great Idea.

Happy to contribute in any way possible.
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
dust

Post by dust »

I'd like to donate my time Djing and being a goon. Both worth good money.

:wink:
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

Although it seems like a long time to organise lets not sit on our hands, seems like there is a bunch of enthusiastic peoples here... lets get any brainstorming happening.

so far what has been suggested...
BBQ / Raffle/ Art Auction
All for a good cause, such as widows of firemen, or a specific community that has been badly hit...
(i like the second one).

Obviously a shit load of DJ's to cover 24 hours of party time need to put their hands up.

Anyone got ideas for some artwork for the fliers or what not?
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

DBoy wrote:Although it seems like a long time to organise lets not sit on our hands, seems like there is a bunch of enthusiastic peoples here... lets get any brainstorming happening.

so far what has been suggested...
BBQ / Raffle/ Art Auction
All for a good cause, such as widows of firemen, or a specific community that has been badly hit...
(i like the second one).

Obviously a shit load of DJ's to cover 24 hours of party time need to put their hands up.

Anyone got ideas for some artwork for the fliers or what not?
for Beat:Aid we had 'teams' that were headed by one person, it worked really well and I think that's the way to go this time around too

such as....

Marketing
Promotions
Raffle
CD
Art Auction
Design

and a shitload of volunteers for door bitches/bastards

as far as artwork is concerned I think a flyer & poster with a Fire Extinguisher or Fire Engine theme would be rad!
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

breaksRbest wrote:as far as artwork is concerned I think a flyer & poster with a Fire Extinguisher or Fire Engine theme would be rad!

:scr1pt: (So long as there's no wastage of water evident. ;))

Keep it firetruck red.
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

Fireman Sam.

sorry :oops:
marcus

Post by marcus »

breaksRbest wrote:
as far as artwork is concerned I think a flyer & poster with a Fire Extinguisher or Fire Engine theme would be rad!
I can recommend two excellent people for designing flyers. Will suss them out first. :wink:

Will gladly help out in some capacity before I head off to WA in late Jan - not working a lot at the moment so I have a large amount of spare time.
valuetime

Post by valuetime »

happy to offer music and design again.
quick

Post by quick »

Great idea Bro, you know I'll be keen to help. ;)
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

more than happy to help a hand, although i'm not good at much. :(
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

we didn't have the time to source sponsors for Beat:Aid but we'll definately be trying for that this time around

Streetpress simply WILL NOT donate advertising space (as we've discovered in the past) so if we could get some sponsorship dollars towards advertising that'd definately help.

If anyone knows (or works for) a company that could be up for sponsoring this it would be a massive help

As the venue is being donated for free we can't mess with the bar takings, so any alchohol/drink related sponsor that donates product will be given to the artists for their rider.
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

witty_pseudonym wrote:more than happy to help a hand, although i'm not good at much. :(
oohh i beg too differ my dear :wink:
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

This is an absoloutely brilliant idea. brb and all who came up with it, you are utter legends!!!! Just brilliant :D 8) :D

my 2 cents - considering you forsee more money being donated this time round, it would be good to maybe split between the major charities i.e. families of firefighters, wilderness (for animals and also new plant growth), CFA (equipment and anything else they need), and families who have lost their homes.

brb - any help you need whatsoever, i am on board!
gnat

Post by gnat »

Put me down for promo Chicken

I'm good with the gab
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
kronz
Location: so a family walks into a talent agent and the talent agent says "what's your act"?

Post by kronz »

Big Ups Glenn. Fire:aid or STFU T-shirst :teeef:

I'm there for sure, if you need any help let me know.
GO CATS! GO CATS!
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

Happy to door bitch it up :D

i also know one of the managers at PBS - that any help? And she used to work at Beat mag.

edit - and i know some peeps who do shows on RRR

i know people :roll:
Last edited by Lizkins on Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

kronz wrote:Fire:aid or STFU T-shirst :teeef:
:lol: :lol:

excellent Liz, once we have a Press Release done I'll get you to send it to your mate at PBS (and anyone else you can think of)

who's a good writer?
gnat

Post by gnat »

breaksRbest wrote:

excellent Liz, once we have a Press Release done I'll get you to send it to your mate at PBS (and anyone else you can think of)

who's a good writer?
I can write 8)
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

And i'll do the spell check
witty_pseudonym

Lil MiSbreaks wrote:
witty_pseudonym wrote:more than happy to help a hand, although i'm not good at much. :(
oohh i beg too differ my dear :wink:
aw why thanks lady.

Lizkins wrote: Happy to door bitch it up :D
:scr1pt: i like taking people's money.

but as long as it's not with liz. :teef:
gnat

Post by gnat »

Lil MiSbreaks wrote:And i'll do the spell check

:smt043
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

Lizkins wrote:my 2 cents - considering you forsee more money being donated this time round, it would be good to maybe split between the major charities i.e. families of firefighters, wilderness (for animals and also new plant growth), CFA (equipment and anything else they need), and families who have lost their homes.
Wildlife Victoria are a group who look after fire affected animals. They are seeking help and donations.
http://www.wildlifevictoria.org.au/
Just because I rock, doesn't mean I'm made of stone.
quick

Post by quick »

breaksRbest wrote:

who's a good writer?
Will!!!
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

:looks for magnet:
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

This is looking major! Lizkins you are in Law are you not? We should really just have a look at any requirements for taking large amounts of money for charity - or ensure that as we did last time we have it in writing from the choosen charities that we are acting on their behalf.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

breaksRbest wrote:excellent Liz, once we have a Press Release done I'll get you to send it to your mate at PBS (and anyone else you can think of)

who's a good writer?

:wave:

What do you need in it? Give me the areas to cover and I'll have it done in a jiffy.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

DBoy wrote:This is looking major! Lizkins you are in Law are you not? We should really just have a look at any requirements for taking large amounts of money for charity - or ensure that as we did last time we have it in writing from the choosen charities that we are acting on their behalf.

It will be far easier to just act as an official representative of a charity/charaties. There are some very lengthy and involved steps required to set up a new charity. (This would be a requirement for the first option.)

Nominate the charities, I'd say! That way, people can get in contact with them ASAP to guage their interest.
witty_pseudonym

DBoy wrote:This is looking major! Lizkins you are in Law are you not? We should really just have a look at any requirements for taking large amounts of money for charity - or ensure that as we did last time we have it in writing from the choosen charities that we are acting on their behalf.
also of the necessity of the whole 'tax deductible donation' perhaps? or is that over doing it?
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

system wrote:
breaksRbest wrote:excellent Liz, once we have a Press Release done I'll get you to send it to your mate at PBS (and anyone else you can think of)

who's a good writer?

:wave:

What do you need in it? Give me the areas to cover and I'll have it done in a jiffy.
Thanks mate.

All we have so far is the idea, venue & date. I think we need to lock in a few more details before writing a press release

at the rate we're going we'll have alot more locked down in the next couple of days

btw - this is by no means 'my' party, I just got the ball rolling. Ideally this would be a community driven event, MB.C being that community.
ALL ideas and ANY kind of input is more than welcome and encouraged.

P.S - you guys ROCK!