CYBERDADA, on 3PBS, 1994-2001

This is the forum for all things Melbourne beats. Post your gigs and other Melbourne music related information here. Keep it about the music and music only, please keep on topic.
Andrez

CYBERDADA, on 3PBS, 1994-2001

Post by Andrez »

Hey guys,

Just stumbled across a moth-eaten, very faded semi-journal thingy I kept (darned irregularly) during my time doing the Cyberdada program on Melbourne's PBS-FM over 7 years from 1994.

During that time I guess you can guess the changes in musical style and interests anyone would undergo, but the focus was always on electronica, from early Cabaret Voltaire, Underground Resistance and Front 242 in the early days, through to Luke Vibert, Si Begg, Metalheadz, Virus and Tresor and Noodles stuff by the end - plus a LOT of local Aussie stuff.

Anyway, we also got in a swag of local live acts and guest DJs, including: Voiteck, Steve Law, Blimp, Digital Primate, Eden, Boogs, Trooper, TR-Storm, Honeysmack, Mad Rod, Artificial, B(if)tek, Nasenbluten, Soulenoid, Guyver 3, Son Of Zev, Isnod, Graham Mono (Honeysmack, Guyver 3 and Soulenoid together), TDM, Sub Bass Snarl, Fiery Eye, P-King, Slinky, Tee-Art, Kandyman, the LN Elektronisch Ensemble (me, Isnod, Son Of Zev & Marcella together), Bent Spoons, Schlock Tactile, David Thrussell, Dave Beattie (Q-Kontrol), Amnesia, Mute Freak, Dee Dee, etc, etc.

Plus interviews with internationals like Tobias Schmidt, A Guy Like Gerald, Luke Vibert, Si Begg, Neil Landstrumm, DJ SS, Cristian Vogel, Goldie, Justin Berkovi, Dave Tarrida, Jeff Mills, Ed Rush, Cabaret Voltaire, Frontline Assembly, Laibach, Coldcut, DJ Hell, Thomas Heckmann, Ian Pooley, DJ Sneak, Derrick Carter, Juan Atkins, Joey Beltram, Cari Lekebusch, Adam Beyer, The Advent, Pacou, Biochip C, Jammin' Unit, Khan Oral (4E), Gene Farris, Genesis P. Orrige (Throbbing Gristle), etc, etc.

Do I miss the beast?

Hell, yeah...

Everyone here, if they haven't already done it, should take on their own radio show!!

:wink:
Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

I heard someone say recently RRR is looking for presenters.
cj the taniwha

Post by cj the taniwha »

Special Hegg wrote:I heard someone say recently RRR is looking for presenters.
go for it Leigh.

I used to have a couple of radio shows on student radion in NZ.

One was saturdays from 12-2pm. "The under done and over easy breakfast show". That was fun and very random.

The other was the all NZ kiwi music show, which was awesome and opened my eyes to a lot of undiscovered local and domestic music.

I loved it. But it is so hard to commit to those hours every week for a lengthy period.
Back from the desert to stir things up a little :)
Andrez

Post by Andrez »

cj the taniwha wrote:I loved it. But it is so hard to commit to those hours every week for a lengthy period.
...oh yeah... that's right!!!

:shock:
Ides-GotFunk?

Post by Ides-GotFunk? »

:lol: @ this thread

oh andrez you sentimental fool :P

internet radio!
http://www.myspace.com/got_funk

Feb 15 (07)::FK5 vs THUNDERBALL
Nov 24 (07)::REPHRASE

27 DEC :: MBBB returns!!!
MAR 2010 :: WMC USA :D

ides :smt055 parov stelar
diode

Post by diode »

I used to have a couple of radio shows on student radion in NZ
Last time I was in NZ I bought this amazing Flying nun 25th anniversary Boxset, So many gooood Kiwi bands.

:endhijack:
Andrez

Post by Andrez »

Ides-GotFunk? wrote::lol: @ this thread

oh andrez you sentimental fool :P
internet radio!
...Hey lassie - I am so sentimental, aren't I? Shocking!! Gotta snap outta it... :shock: ...there - hit myself a few times with my coffee cup. Always works a treat; it's bloody heavy!!

Now, where was I...?

Internet radio... mmmm....

:wink:
Andrez

Post by Andrez »

DJ Trooper used to be a regular turntablist on the show - a local Melbourne guy who played the best cutting edge drum 'n' bass and breaks at the time.

Check him out here, if you don't know already:
http://www.myspace.com/JayTrooper

Very nice laddie, to. Respect.[/img]
Andrez

Post by Andrez »

OK... so here is a sample of Cyberdada, thanks to the inimitable Garry Shepherd.

He recorded the program on 3rd January, 1995.

So, lots of Nasenbluten and associated Bloody Fist stuff, Speedfreak, Dumb Type, Bunker, sampled Orchestra Of Skin & Bone, Force Inc., etc, etc - and finishing on the brilliant Planet Of Drums 12-inch, and Biochip C.

Some cool; some downright scary - was I listening to this stuff 12 years ago? Zounds!!
Also some pretty shoddy mixing and some inane rambling... apologies!!

Link is here:
http://www.myfilehut.com/userfiles/49745/andrez951.mp3

:smt028

Good luck with yer crap Melbourne airwaves history lesson!!!
Ides-GotFunk?

Post by Ides-GotFunk? »

didnt you have a Jammin Unit & Biz OD spot on your show around the time of that infamous Filter appearance?? (pre-launch Kung Fu Fighting remix - must be '96 or '97?)

i would KILL to hear that one - very inspiring melbourne dance floor moment when they played the show!

i'm pulling out the Cube 40 tonite, thanks for the rewind andrez (again)
you make me funktion, oh so funktion, you make me funktion

:lol:

Andrez

Post by Andrez »

Oh yeah - that's right!! Totally forgot about that!!

;)

Those guys rocked my world back then, and still do - Khan (Bizz OD) is supposed to be remixing my track Cocaine Speaking, lovely man.

Khan's gig at Filter was cabaret brilliance...

Man, I have to relocate my Cube 40 - I think it's still inmy old record box in Melbs, at my mum's place. You make me function indeed...

Cheers yet again, Ides...

xx
Ides-GotFunk?

Post by Ides-GotFunk? »

remote car babe rates highly still.... anything Mr Walker or Burger Industries or Structure or Air Liquide (etc!) ... trust: Funk the Industry still gets played here ad nausaem, and in drunken stupors ive been heard screaming DONT FUCK WITH COLOGNE!! at full throttle outside Bimbo's (just to relive the bad ol days (aka Punter Club days w/Raisbeck & co.)... dont worry, i realise im slowly becoming a jaded old skooler, so figure its ok to be re:living those days

EVERYTHING off this comp has influenced me SO much - thank fark for the industrial era :lol:

Andrez

Post by Andrez »

Indeed, matey!! Walker still rocks my world. I remember Mad Rod introduced me to him waaaaaay back, in about 1994, and I was smitten. That whole Cologne circuit of acid electronica... yum.

Jaded old-skooler syndrome is fine - just so long as you don't get nostalgic about glow-sticks and big pants.

Finally, ACID RESISTANT... aye-aye, what a brilliant mix-n-match...

By the way, I think I totally destroyed my CDs of the Acid Resistant compilations in drunked sets at the Punters Club, so was chuffed when
I picked up a mint condition copy o' Acid Resistant Vol. 2 here in Tokyo last year, at a used record shop, for 200 yen - about $2!!

:shock: