Aussie Hip Hop

This is the forum for all things Melbourne beats. Post your gigs and other Melbourne music related information here. Keep it about the music and music only, please keep on topic.
youthful_implants

Re: Aussie Hip Hop

Post by youthful_implants »

FRAKSHA... wrote: stuff like true live makes me cringe hard, kinda embarassing, its hip hop for non-hip hop fans and festival monkeys, no offence it its ur thing
I dont agree with that at all, I think they happen to be a band that cross over not the other way round.

First time I heard them I thought they were a breath of fresh air. Well produced, fun lyrically and with lots of energy. Which is all I need to hear, be it hip hop or anything else.

I dont think Hip Hop NEEDs to be raw, or dark, or about anything in particular. Some of the best hip hop ever penned came out of the early Afrocentric age when it was all about peace and love not urban warfare.

Bands like Stetsasonic, Jurassik 5, De La Soul, Queen Latifah, Monie Love, Jungle Brothers, TCQ etc.

True Live are following a rich tradition of jazz and blues in hip hop form.
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

and cue argument about purist roots/crossover/wide appeal/selling out/dark vs light/east vs west/ south vs north/ tags vs art/dubstep vs breaks

:lol:

each to their own.
i need more good aussie hip hop in my life, and if this thread gives me one or two more acts i like, then great.
true live played on a stage i managed once, and yes it was a festival, and yes they rocked it, but they are only hip hop cos they have an MC tbh, the beats are not really what i class as hip hop per se.

hilltops, bash em all you like but they fucknig rock live and have done so much for the scene getting acceptance that kudos is due even if you think they is juveniles.

fraksha and baddums, thanks for the tip offs, and the links. must wait till im not at work to watch. i like da dark stuff too. :)
FRAKSHA...

Post by FRAKSHA... »

youthful_implants wrote:
FRAKSHA... wrote: stuff like true live makes me cringe hard, kinda embarassing, its hip hop for non-hip hop fans and festival monkeys, no offence it its ur thing
I dont agree with that at all, I think they happen to be a band that cross over not the other way round.

First time I heard them I thought they were a breath of fresh air. Well produced, fun lyrically and with lots of energy. Which is all I need to hear, be it hip hop or anything else.

I dont think Hip Hop NEEDs to be raw, or dark, or about anything in particular. Some of the best hip hop ever penned came out of the early Afrocentric age when it was all about peace and love not urban warfare.
its not that i think it needs to be dark etc, thats just the stuff i generally prefer...i just find they dont have anything whatsoever that appeals to me...i dont really listen to dnb anymore so i may be talking incorrectly, but i'm a hip hop person and to be they come across in a similar way that something like pendulum come acorss to dnb fans...its fun etc to people who are not fully in that scene, but most dnb heads seem to dislike it
i like stuff that i can relate to like i was saying and them sort of acts just dont appeal to me lyrically, comes across as music students trying their hand at something they shouldnt, lyrically its air to me, BUT, i see their appeal and they're definitely musically talented
FRAKSHA...

Post by FRAKSHA... »

ghetto kitty wrote:and cue argument about purist roots/crossover/wide appeal/selling out/dark vs light/east vs west/ south vs north/ tags vs art/dubstep vs breaks

each to their own.
i need more good aussie hip hop in my life, and if this thread gives me one or two more acts i like, then great.
true live played on a stage i managed once, and yes it was a festival, and yes they rocked it, but they are only hip hop cos they have an MC tbh, the beats are not really what i class as hip hop per se.

hilltops, bash em all you like but they fucknig rock live and have done so much for the scene getting acceptance that kudos is due even if you think they is juveniles.

fraksha and baddums, thanks for the tip offs, and the links. must wait till im not at work to watch. i like da dark stuff too. :)
haha, yeah soz if i started that...but i really dont care about people selling records, it aint that...i'm totally cool with hilltops, i've done stuff with them so i couldnt possibly say anything negative...they have a particular sound which they have always had, just happened to blow up at the right time, good on 'em

and yeah i agree with your point about true live and the beats...i've heard bare people talking about 'might get a live hip hop thing happening cos we'll get festival bookings' lol when its done well, its sick tho
youthful_implants

FRAKSHA... wrote:
youthful_implants wrote:

its not that i think it needs to be dark etc, thats just the stuff i generally prefer...i just find they dont have anything whatsoever that appeals to me...i dont really listen to dnb anymore so i may be talking incorrectly, but i'm a hip hop person and to be they come across in a similar way that something like pendulum come acorss to dnb fans...its fun etc to people who are not fully in that scene, but most dnb heads seem to dislike it
i like stuff that i can relate to like i was saying and them sort of acts just dont appeal to me lyrically, comes across as music students trying their hand at something they shouldnt, lyrically its air to me, BUT, i see their appeal and they're definitely musically talented
Horses for courses of courses obviously, but I think they do have skills.

For me personally hip hops biggest problem is not the music, but its image. Its just too hard to break the mould, without being forced into cliche.
Strontium Music

Direkt

Post by Direkt »

True Live, live - are very impressive. A tight, vibing unit.

Who cares if they come from a VCA background. Rhyno was also a local dnb MC for quite a while, and the fact that he's also formally educated in the art of music isn't exactly a negative in my book.

And in reference to the Hilltops. The guys broke down barriers and have done so much for homegrown hip-hop, reason being that they were the first to bust their balls and write accessible (aka good) and polished, authentic tunes in this country. Nothing wrong with that. As much as I don't like the sound of his voice, Pressure is a decent MC IMO.

But yes, each to their own... whatever floats your boat, rah rah rah.
FRAKSHA...

Post by FRAKSHA... »

Direkt wrote:True Live, live - are very impressive. A tight, vibing unit.

Who cares if they come from a VCA background. Rhyno was also a local dnb MC for quite a while, and the fact that he's also formally educated in the art of music isn't exactly a negative in my book.

And in reference to the Hilltops. The guys broke down barriers and have done so much for homegrown hip-hop, reason being that they were the first to bust their balls and write accessible (aka good) and polished, authentic tunes in this country. Nothing wrong with that. As much as I don't like the sound of his voice, Pressure is a decent MC IMO.

But yes, each to their own... whatever floats your boat, rah rah rah.
whats VCA?
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Victorian College of the Arts
FRAKSHA...

Post by FRAKSHA... »

safe...i dont mind that they came from that background - i didnt know they did! but they came across like that when i saw them, kinda session musicians with no grittyness and emotion...like if you listen to someone like Gargoyle, you will absolutely hate it, and its probably the epitome of what a lot of people dislike about ozzie hip hop, but you cant deny the emotion and reality in his voice...and as someone coming from England, when i first came here and heard oz mc's i thought it was a bit funny sounding at first, but now i love that strong accent, theres no pretension with it and its what i like about hip hop, raw, real and gritty stuff...but yeah when i hear some UK rappers in a real strong accent i dont like it same way that a few of you hear ozzies...spose its something relatively new for me

1/6 is another favourite over here, very talented guy!
youthful_implants

FRAKSHA... wrote:safe...i dont mind that they came from that background - i didnt know they did! but they came across like that when i saw them, kinda session musicians with no grittyness and emotion...like if you listen to someone like Gargoyle, you will absolutely hate it, and its probably the epitome of what a lot of people dislike about ozzie hip hop, but you cant deny the emotion and reality in his voice...and as someone coming from England, when i first came here and heard oz mc's i thought it was a bit funny sounding at first, but now i love that strong accent, theres no pretension with it and its what i like about hip hop, raw, real and gritty stuff...but yeah when i hear some UK rappers in a real strong accent i dont like it same way that a few of you hear ozzies...spose its something relatively new for me

on the UK tip what about Foreign Beggars, d'you like them?
Strontium Music

FRAKSHA...

Post by FRAKSHA... »

youthful_implants wrote:
FRAKSHA... wrote:safe...i dont mind that they came from that background - i didnt know they did! but they came across like that when i saw them, kinda session musicians with no grittyness and emotion...like if you listen to someone like Gargoyle, you will absolutely hate it, and its probably the epitome of what a lot of people dislike about ozzie hip hop, but you cant deny the emotion and reality in his voice...and as someone coming from England, when i first came here and heard oz mc's i thought it was a bit funny sounding at first, but now i love that strong accent, theres no pretension with it and its what i like about hip hop, raw, real and gritty stuff...but yeah when i hear some UK rappers in a real strong accent i dont like it same way that a few of you hear ozzies...spose its something relatively new for me

yeah man, i prefer them nowadays to their older stuff to be honest, now that they're experimenting a bit more...i remember seeing Pavan spitting over DnB yeeeaaaaars ago under the name MC Drop @ Mass in Brixton, he was a sick dnb mc too...they're a very very very good live act!
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

and they are playing @ miss libs soooon.... :)
FRAKSHA...

Post by FRAKSHA... »

ghetto kitty wrote:and they are playing @ miss libs soooon.... :)
yeah it'll be a good one!
youthful_implants

FRAKSHA... wrote:
youthful_implants wrote:

yeah man, i prefer them nowadays to their older stuff to be honest, now that they're experimenting a bit more...i remember seeing Pavan spitting over DnB yeeeaaaaars ago under the name MC Drop @ Mass in Brixton, he was a sick dnb mc too...they're a very very very good live act!
I've not seen them live, but the collabs they've done with other producers this year are farkhen sick.

Really like how they manage to combine sick, angry flows with different styles of music. They're ruthless, must check their live act.
Strontium Music

youthful_implants

FRAKSHA... wrote:
ghetto kitty wrote:and they are playing @ miss libs soooon.... :)
yeah it'll be a good one!
Whens that?

I wanna do some hip hop, this thread has got me vibed.
Strontium Music

ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

its on september 12th, satruday.

maybe we will finally meet there YI!
youthful_implants

ghetto kitty wrote:its on september 12th, satruday.

maybe we will finally meet there YI!
sounds good! :D
Strontium Music

almax

Post by almax »

cant believe no one has mentioned HERMITUDE yet!
Fents

Post by Fents »

did get a mention al by amick. hermitude feat urthboy and alan - your call. its one of the youtube vids posted. sick song.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

okay have listened to some links on previous page...

my opinions

pegz - good story to his lyrics but the beats hella boring to me. not really into it tbh.
muph and plutonic - this was one of the first tracks that got me really into aussie hip hop. <3 so much.
and downsyde - they are great. anyone going to the gig soonish?
herd- fuck their beats are great, love the samples in there...cruisey...funky...
hermitude - (i mentioned urthboy already al!) sound real cute in that track. i love cute sounding hip hoppers. they prolly dont want to be called that, but suffa! ;)
low budget - yeah not bad. still lacking in the beats side of things, i dunno. slightly meh.
koolism - loved that one. nice n bouncy. i like his voice too.
astronomy class- great clip, and liked ze tunes too, will find more of them.
realise i have heard heaps of bliss n esso before- i like dem guys. not bad at all.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Good on ya Kitty... enjoy!
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

andy_hoffman wrote:99% of hip hop is arse IMO
Agree.
The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well
el-mike-affair

Post by el-mike-affair »

Respect to a lot of the artists already mentioned (Polo Club and a lot of those Elefant Traks artists are dope). Thought I'd chuck a bit of a plug in...I play keys with a live hiphop crew Inner City Science - soul/jazz based beats with harder live drums.

(really) rough demos on the 'space, but we got a record coming out soon, produced by Choi from True Live. Heads up...

Peace.

mikekay

www.myspace.com/innercityscience
Amick

Post by Amick »

@GK - a great source of the history of aussie hip hop (if you're interested) is on this CD titled '15 OZ VINYL (15 YEARS OF AUSTRALIAN HIP HOP)' (with the Mass MC track BBQ Song Obie was talking about)

@Fents should grab me a copy of that new Bias B album, something about that guy and being on the Hursty line...

For those of you like dark stuff Tornts is good, although his 'ocker' accent is thicker than vegemite mixed with cement.

Watch the posted video on YouTube.

Also if you like raps about drinking and partying funkoars are worth checking out, some decent beats there as well.

Its great to see a few people on this forum listening to home grown hip hop.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Not a big Funkoars fan - too much yelling, MOP style for my liking.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

total respect to Def Wish Cast - early 90's stuff was WAY ahead of the game.

Celsuis - Kickin' it to Hell N Back, on which they appear, is one of the grittiest, nastiest, best produced Aussie Hip Hop albums still to date. That raw 808 sound makes me stand to attention everytime. Developed a niche there that a lot of the aussie 'rap' stuff still follows imo.

BIAS B's also worth a look if you like that side of things, Adam still got it.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Amick wrote:@GK - a great source of the history of aussie hip hop (if you're interested) is on this CD titled '15 OZ VINYL (15 YEARS OF AUSTRALIAN HIP HOP)' (with the Mass MC track BBQ Song Obie was talking about)

Its great to see a few people on this forum listening to home grown hip hop.
ill check it out...

and agree. now, how do we get the slappers and wankers ratio at the gigs of said acts to a tolerable level?

Direkt

Post by Direkt »

I hear ye... I hate the crowds at hip-hop gigs

Too much testosterone and tough-guy personas for my liking.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Heh, I swear its the chicks too man.

Have nearly had punch-ons with psycho bitches at hip hop gigs, even at the forum!

and i am not a scragger. I likes to fights with words.

;)
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Make peace, not war - indeed.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

oh no, i dont mind a good fight.

just fighting the right wars!

like poverty, ignorance and equality, rather than 'get outta my face/space slutbags'

Amick

Post by Amick »

DBoy wrote: Celsuis - Kickin' it to Hell N Back, on which they appear, is one of the grittiest, nastiest, best produced Aussie Hip Hop albums still to date. That raw 808 sound makes me stand to attention everytime. Developed a niche there that a lot of the aussie 'rap' stuff still follows imo.
:scr1pt:

Gritty as feck. I <3 this album. Sereck is a badman.

As for the violence issue, ban all the Franga/Dandy skanky bitches from coming in.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

hrmmm. 808 huh? gritty huh?

one for the list then!
Amick

Post by Amick »

Interestingly they just announced the Obese Block Party 2009 dates.

So far headlining are Drapht, Muph & Plutonic and a new super group called Gully Platoon feat. Pegz, Dialectrix and Joe New also announced are Illy, Spit Syndicate and Thundamentals with more acts to follow.

Melbourne's show is November 6th @ The Palace.

Still a long way away...

Did I mention the main sponsor of the gig is Slate Bourbon? Let's promote crap/nasty bourbon to quell violence!!!
spin

Post by spin »

i supported muph n plutonic and new obese guy illy at bulla a few weeks ago, muph was funny, bonez and plutonic were so damn tight and funky!!!!
ANYTHING:TEST
BOB DEEP
WOBBLE
REVOLVER
BLACK CAT
http://gutterhype.blogspot.com/
Amick

Post by Amick »

Checking out this tonight then shooting over to Laundry.

ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

damn.

i want to go!

dumb doorbitchin duties...

no fair.

plz report back amick!
Dingo

Post by Dingo »

Amick wrote:Checking out this tonight then shooting over to Laundry.

yep on this shit! yew
Check out my soundcloud page at:
http://soundcloud.com/nativedog
Mixes and productions by Native Dog
flippo

Post by flippo »

Baddums wrote:unofficial polo club video

talking my language here
Amick

Post by Amick »

Arrived at the Espy a bit later than planned. Missed out on Polo Club but instead walked into a 1/4 full Gershwin Room playing Black Sabbath, thought I came on the wrong night until I saw Muph at the bar...

After 5-6 more Sabbath tunes and girls wearing wife beaters showing off their air guitar moves to each other Low Budget took the stage to a fairly small crowd. However they kicked off their set with a track from their new album Freak Mystique. From the reaction of those there most men in the crowd weren't sure to dance or wave their arm up and down whereas the ladies understood that disco/funk breaks means you shake your booty and they complied. The rest of their set was enjoyable, a highlight being Gentleman Gene throwing a few tinnies into the front row mid verse.

After the hour set DJ Efx started spinning US rap tunes which I thought was strange for an all Aussie Hip Hop gig, however Biggie Smalls - Hypnotized got the crowd buzzed before Downsyde took the stage.

The Gershwin by this stage filled up to about half capacity, although there was still plenty of space amongst the crowd. The boys from Perth worked the crowd flawlessly. Each spitting their verses with precision and character. However, they managed to make every song sound almost identical. If it wasn't for their well known hooks their set sounded like one very long rap song. I was disappointed there was no freestyling amongst the 3 MC's, no improvised jamming with the live drums, bass and MC Armee on the decks. Around half way through their set they did a cover of Pharoah Monch's Get The Fuck Up. This was kinda embarrassing for me as a live hip hop group who ooze talent to rehash a classic song that's been flogged to death.

So for me, I wish I hadn't seen Downsyde last night. I've seen them previously and had the pleasure of recommending them live to anyone who wanted to see a great act perform good quality live hip hop. However now I would say listen to their CD's at home and save your money.
Dingo

Post by Dingo »

Well put..
The rock tunes were doing my head in.
Check out my soundcloud page at:
http://soundcloud.com/nativedog
Mixes and productions by Native Dog
Amick

Post by Amick »

Obese Records Block Party 2009

November 6th @ The Palace (formerly Metro)

$37

Drapht
Muph & Plutonic
Gully Platoon (Pegz + Joe New + Dialectrix + DJ 2Buck)
Hyjak N Torcha
Illy
Reason
Spit Syndicate
Chasm (+ guests)
Thundamentals
Skryptcha

Anyone going? Good price I reckon.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

ya looks alright.
its our bday at libertine though so ill be drinking the free booze dry i reckon.

also - I'm really digging 'The Winnie Coopers' atm, took a few rounds of the album to get me there, but now its on high rotation on the car and im loving it!!!

also - The Album Launch for Ciecmate & Newsense as well as Fluent Form (both launching albums on the night)
with Swarmy (SYD), Mata & Must and Dj's Doc Felix and Dj Nathan is on at Miss L's Friday Dec 18th.
I like these guys! Come down n check it out with me guys...

Amick

Post by Amick »

If you like Winnie Coopers you should check out Casual Projects' album No Rest.

Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Should be popping down this Friday.
Wax Museum Records

Post by Wax Museum Records »

Be sure to check out the best hip-hop night happening monthly in Melbourne!

vjs1987

Post by vjs1987 »

Calvs

Post by Calvs »

Mata and Must anybody??? Theyre live shows fucken blew my mind... unreal rawness..

Also Chasm has got some unbelievable tracks, but others lack it.. extreme potential tho.

and to everyone saying aussie hip hop is overrun with bullshit accents, A MIGHTY BIG FUCK YOU!!!! Maybe its just that u've never heard an aussie rapping? maybe ur just brain dead? but its never sounded like that to me.. Anyways, thats the most annoying comment bout hip hop that generally means that person knows 2/5 of fuck all bout the genre.

Aussie hip hop is one of the most pure scenes out there, and i recommend some exploration....... though the crowd is a tad bit staunch ey bro. Anyhooo theres a big, wide, bad world of music out there so get out n enjoy it yo
tee193

Post by tee193 »

got the thundamentals album today, some cool stuff on here, them and raven are the only artists that have really caught my eye coming from our shores in the last 2 years or so.

calvs, mata and must do an unreal show hey, much better than their recorded stuff which is usualy the opposite with most aussie mc's