Anyone here experience Synesthesia?

This is the forum for all things Melbourne beats. Post your gigs and other Melbourne music related information here. Keep it about the music and music only, please keep on topic.
almax

Anyone here experience Synesthesia?

Post by almax »

Seeing color in sound. Check out this chart i found, relating the 12 notes to the chromatic wavelength of color. Not only can some people see these colors in sound, but they also have distinct personality traits for each note. Keep in mind, this chart is not complete because it should have darker shades in the lower octaves and brighter shades as you go higher. But you get the general idea. This stuff isn't new at all, Issac Newton wrote a book on it called Optiks. Liszt and Rimsky-Korsakov famously disagreed on the colors of music keys. To me, Red to C is just perfect. it makes sense, the most popular note with the most popular color.

So, now that you can see color in music, and paint sounds, lets get a little deeper and meet these notes, and see what kind of people they are.

Meet the Chromatic Personalities

Red C- Alpha Male, Jock, the leader of the pack. a very successful man.

Vermillion C#/Db- The Type of guy who will start his own cult.

D Orange- Life of the Party, Joker of the pack. You will never see him down, he lifts everyone's spirits, and everyone loves him. But has that Belushi darkside.

D#/Eb Schoolbus Yellow- He's mentally slow. He got dropped on his head as a child. He likes to eat paste

E Yellow- She is a sophisticate, a connoisseur, a lover of the finer things in life, and a bit of a lush.

F Green- the consummate musician. An artistic genius, doesn't talk the talk, only walks the walk. Leads by example. Likeable fellow.

Emerald F#- She is the most beautiful specimen at the party. Quiet, smart, tall, olive skin, long brown hair. She is a perfect 10. Supermodel material

Cyan G- a reader. an introvert. Massive vocabulary and a great wordsmith. A librarian.

Marine Blue G#/Ab- He's a lover of the outdoors. Likes hiking, kayaking. Probably wears a fanny pack. He's a dad. Wears short sleeve collared shirts tucked into khaki colored cargo pants, and socks with sandals. Dork.

Blue A- as you can imagine, is not the most cheery guy at the party. He revels in his sadness and loves to let you know it. Misery loves company is the case with this guy. He's the Bukowski Type

Indigo Bb- The basketcase of the group, super weird dude. Possibly homosexual. Possibly a serial killer, possibly both.

Magenta B- Airhead, valleygirl, cheerleader, blonde, like whatever. Most likely to marry Red C.
mrj

Re: Anyone here experience Synesthesia?

Post by mrj »

hmmm

does it say anthing about chords.

I mean does C major have different personality to C minor. What about C major 7. C major half diminished etc. Or is it like some of the above personalities have got together and are having a party?
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
almax

Post by almax »

yeah i guess they would be getting together and having a party, and if you get the wrong personalities together, they argue/sound like shit :lol:
gnat

Post by gnat »

i've read a LOT about this 'phenomenon' al

read the man who tasted shapes

go the limbic system!
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
ctoafn_DMZ

Post by ctoafn_DMZ »

Yeah, I saw this doc that these 2 people who were synesthesian's who could not only see colour but also taste it.

So they'd see a colour and taste banana, but they were both 40 years old, never met before and notes tasted the same for both. Bloody interesting IMO.

Never heard about the personality traits though................lol.
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

Confusion of the senses. One of the most interesting things around this is I reckon.

Always think of that Infusion track :lol: aqua man knows what to do!

Fascinating. but thats not your question, I havnt, no. 8)
mrj

Post by mrj »

maybe this is why we sometimes refer to people as having "terrible taste in music".
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

:lol:!!
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

snozberries taste like snozberries
mrj

Post by mrj »

gnat wrote:the limbic system!
the limbic system? what....like...arms and legs?
J Gal

Post by J Gal »

My friends 3yr walked outside on Monday and said "it smells like rectangles"
Interesting
These are the days of our lolz
fikuss

Post by fikuss »

Wasn't Synesthesia was a mad phat rave everyone went to in Altona back in the day or a mixtape that got handed around a while back with early Mickey Finn Jungle sets on it?
Amick

Post by Amick »

same o wrote:snozberries taste like snozberries
:lol:
Coco Grimes

Post by Coco Grimes »

Me.since 1987
not in colours but in shapes..
it's nothing unusual some people tasted some feel sensations some experience colurs...
many different ways......
check book called Musicophilia by Oliver Sacks it breaks it down pretty well...
i know heaps of peeps all over the world, the well known who got synesthesia are Aphex Twin, duke ellington......
MY BEDROOM IS PAINTED RED. ITS A HORRIBLY VIOLENT SHADE OF RED BUT I'M AFRAID TO CHANGE IT BECAUSE I FEEL I MIGHT MAKE LESS AGGRESSIVE MUSIC IF I DO.
Coco Grimes

Post by Coco Grimes »

btw to every person different sound and notes comes up in different colour or taste.....that chart doesnt apply to everyone with synesthesia
MY BEDROOM IS PAINTED RED. ITS A HORRIBLY VIOLENT SHADE OF RED BUT I'M AFRAID TO CHANGE IT BECAUSE I FEEL I MIGHT MAKE LESS AGGRESSIVE MUSIC IF I DO.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

I lent 'musicophilia' to someone and cant recall who. :(

jgal - thats wierd and wonderful!

coco - it damn well works for you mister cos your tunes are awesome.
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

i am led to understand that very young babies are synesthetic in a sense, e.g noises disrupt field of vision - we learn to separate the messages, as we get older
tee193

Post by tee193 »

what is the colour for your average "donk"?
rainbows?
Lauer

Post by Lauer »

I do but not like that chart though, i'm still trying to work out whats what though all i know so far is a saw tooth wave is a orange colour and a square wave is a blue at middle c and gets brighter or darker when going up or down. Sub Bass is black-grey and highs are white, the rest is a little unclear but its all colours when i listen but i do have to pay a good amount of attention to see them.
deviant

Post by deviant »

I see months of the year, days of the week and chords/notes as colours and shapes..... not that unusual imo.
pagaille21

Post by pagaille21 »

ctoafn_DMZ wrote:Yeah, I saw this doc that these 2 people who were synesthesian's who could not only see colour but also taste it.

So they'd see a colour and taste banana, but they were both 40 years old, never met before and notes tasted the same for both. Bloody interesting IMO.

Never heard about the personality traits though................lol.
Excuse me, im gonna conpose a track in Banana Minor
mrj

Post by mrj »

lol
gnat

Post by gnat »

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss