Orbital LIVE - Fri Feb 19 @ Billboard

This is the forum for all things Melbourne beats. Post your gigs and other Melbourne music related information here. Keep it about the music and music only, please keep on topic.
dengelman

Orbital LIVE - Fri Feb 19 @ Billboard

Post by dengelman »

Heads up for the semi-retired golden oldies who remember the goog times.

Back from "retirement" etc and smashing it live.

Tickets on sale tomorrow, starting at $60 I think.
Giddy up.

Watch the posted video on YouTube.

Skirmish

Re: Orbital LIVE - Fri Feb 19 @ Billboard

Post by Skirmish »

oh shit. This will be incredible! :shock:
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Is Billboard horrible?
Don't hate me for house
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

billboard is a great venue if you remove the general friday and saturday teenage crowds....

I am not missing Orbital for the world..
Upcoming....
DNB Sessions Sundays 10.30pm // KISSFM.com.au // 87.6FM
Total Science - 26th June @ Mercat
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Right I'm there then.
Don't hate me for house
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

billboard is a great venue to see a good act!

i saw Camille there, and it was fantastic.

I think Phil Hartnoll is a funny guy and it will be great to see him again, after i sent his HD lost at earthcore full of new tunes over to him, he loves me now hehehe (we did joke about me releasing an album before i sent it though heheh)

would not miss this for anything.

Bigups Stable!
saintberry

Post by saintberry »

FUCK. YES! Not missing this one.

Lip techno... CHIME! (who remembers this off the Altogether DVD?)

First you get her name. Then you get her number. Then you get some get some in the back seat of a hummer!
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

we get Orbital @ playground weekender....

JOY!
Amick

Post by Amick »

I really really like this photo.

saintberry

Post by saintberry »

When I first started mixing I wanted a pair of those light glasses soooo bad. Tres cool.
First you get her name. Then you get her number. Then you get some get some in the back seat of a hummer!
stable

Post by stable »

Full details here for Facebookers..

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=2 ... 924&ref=mf

and for everyone else..

Stable presents the pioneers of electronica, Orbital Live...

Orbital will perform with their full live show on Friday 19th February 2010 with Jeff Tyler, Eric Powell and Mat Radovich.

First Release: Tickets SOLDOUT in 3 hours.
Second Release: http://www.moshtix.com.au/event.aspx?id ... d&skin=747

Friday, February 19, 2010 at 8:00pm
Billboard The Venue
170 Russell Street, Melbourne, Australia

“Orbital” is an electronic duo consisting of brothers Phil Hartnoll and Paul Hartnoll formed in London, England whose career originally lasted from 1989 until 2004.

Orbital took their name from Greater London’s orbital motorway, the M25, which was central to the early rave scene and party network in the South East during the early days of acid house. One of the biggest names in British electronica during the 1990s, Orbital were both critically and commercially successful, being particularly known for an element of live improvisation during their shows, a rarity with techno acts. They were initially influenced by early electro and punk rock.

In 1989, Orbital recorded a track called “Chime” on their father’s cassette deck. It was released on Oh Zone Records in December 1989, and re-released on FFRR a few months later. The track became a rave anthem, reaching number 17 in the UK charts, and earning them an appearance on Top of the Pops, during which they wore anti-Poll Tax t-shirts. A few singles and EPs followed, and their first self-titled album, a collection of tracks recorded at various times, was released in late 1991.

In late 1992, the “Radiccio” EP barely reached the UK top 40, but it included probably their most well-known song, “Halcyon”. The song featured a backwards sample of Kirsty Hawkshaw from “It’s a Fine Day” (a chart hit for Opus III earlier that year), and B-side “The Naked and the Dead” was similarly based on a line from Scott Walker’s rendition of Jacques Brel’s song “Next”. Halcyon was dedicated to the Hartnolls’ mother, who was addicted to the tranquiliser Halcion (Triazolam) for many years.

The duo’s popularity grew rapidly with the release of their second album, titled “Orbital 2”, in 1993. The album featured complex arrangements and textures, and opens with the two minute track “Time Becomes”, which comprises nothing more than 2 slightly detuned, looped samples of a Michael Dorn line from Star Trek: The Next Generation, “…where time becomes a loop” being played simultaneously through the left and right channels, respectively (until 1 cycle of phase difference has happened). This very same sample was used at the beginning of “The Mobius”, the opening track in the previous album. This audible pun was intended to make listeners believe that they had bought a mis-pressed album (orbital 1 packaged in orbital 2). The album reached #28 on the UK album charts, staying in the top chart for fifteen weeks. Halcyon was remixed for the album, as “PlayHalcyon + On + On”. The version played live has also gained notoriety amongst fans for containing a complete mashup of diverse samples including “PlayYou Give Love A Bad Name” by the band “Bon Jovi”, “Heaven Is A Place On Earth” by Belinda Carlisle, and most recently “PlayI Believe in a Thing Called Love” by the band “The Darkness”. The first two albums are commonly known as the “Green Album” and the “Brown Album”, after the colour of their covers.

Orbital won a NME award for “Vibes Best Dance Act” early in 1994, but it was their headline appearance at the Glastonbury Festival on 25 June 1994 that brought them most attention. Q magazine classed it as one of the top 50 gigs of all time, and in 2002 included Orbital in their list of “50 Bands to See Before You Die”. Orbital gave an improvisational element to live electronic music as the brothers mixed and sequenced their tracks on the fly, wearing their trademark head-mounted torches behind banks of equipment. Orbital were one of the few electronic acts invited to play at Woodstock ‘94.

The third album “Snivilisation” was released in August 1994. Alison Goldfrapp provided vocals on a couple of the tracks, including the single “Are We Here?”. This track also included a sample from “PlayMan At C&A” by “The Specials”. Among the remixes of Are We Here? was “Criminal Justice Bill?” - four minutes of silence, a reference to the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994, which was in part intended to clamp down on the rave scene which had given birth to Orbital. The other track with Goldfrapp vocals, “Sad But True”, was remixed for the “Times Fly” EP, the band’s only release in 1995.

The single “The Box” was released in April 1996, reaching #11 in the UK, and its parent album “In Sides”, released in May 1996, became their second top five album. It revealed a less obviously dance-oriented sound than previously, and had more in common with soundtrack music. In Sides has since come to be considered one of their most critically well-regarded works. As with the previous album, there was a vague theme of ecological disaster and dissatisfaction with society.

The following year, the duo contributed to film soundtracks (The Saint & Event Horizon) and enjoyed the biggest singles of their career, with a live version of “Satan” and their reworking of the aforementioned “The Saint” theme both reaching #3 in the UK. 1997 also saw the inclusion of the In Sides track “Out There Somewhere (Part 2)” in the long-awaited game series relaunch Test Drive 4.

1998 saw a return to the studio to work on their fifth album “The Middle of Nowhere”. This was released in 1999, becoming their third top five album, and was a return to a more upbeat style, with Alison Goldfrapp returning on vocals, and included the single “Style” featuring the stylophone. In 2000 the single Beached was released from the soundtrack to the film “The Beach”, mixing the brothers’ musical style with a melody by Angelo Badalamenti and the words of Leonardo DiCaprio from the film.

2001’s “The Altogether” featured guest vocals by the Hartnolls’ brother-in-law David Gray, a sampled Ian Dury, and a version of the “Doctor Who” theme (”Doctor ?”). It was to be their last album for FFRR, and had a mixed critical reception. The following year, “Work 1989-2002” collected various singles from Chime onwards.

Orbital split up in 2004. They played a final series of gigs from June through July 2004 at the “Glastonbury Festival”, the “T in the Park” Festival in Scotland, the “Oxegen” festival (formerly known as “Witness”) in Ireland, and the “Wire Festival” in Japan, concluding with a live “Peel Session” gig at Maida Vale Studios in London on 28 July 2004. The release of their seventh and last original album, the “Blue Album” (which, unlike the untitled previous green and brown albums, was actually named the “Blue Album”), coincided with this final wave of shows. The album featured “Sparks” (on “PlayAcid Pants”) and Lisa Gerrard (on the final single “PlayOne Perfect Sunrise”).

Paul Hartnoll continues to record music under his own name, including tracks for the new “Wipeout Pure” game for the PSP. He released his first full length solo album, entitled “The Ideal Condition” on the ACP record label in June 2007. Phil Hartnoll formed a new electronica duo, “Long Range”, with Nick Smith. Their debut album, “Madness and Me”, was released on their own label, Long Range Recordings, on August 6.

In 2008 as “Long Range”, they signed to commercial management company Angel Artists who additionally represent the likes of Dave Ball (of “Soft Cell”), “The Grid”, Paul Dakeyne & “Icehouse Project”. He lives in Brighton with his three sons, Louis, Milo and Conrad.

Orbital released a 2 CD/DVD compilation “Orbital: Live at Glastonbury 1994-2004” on 11 June 2007. The collection contains over 2 hours of music recorded from the group’s performances at the festival over the course of a decade of appearances there.

Orbital sometimes incorporated political and environmental commentary into their music. The track “Forever” on Snivilisation samples a speech by Graham Crowden from the 1982 Lindsay Anderson film Britannia Hospital, in which he lambasts humankind for its destructive ways; and the track “PlayYou Lot” on the Blue Album, features a confrontational, partially vocoded anti-genetic engineering sample from Christopher Eccleston, originally from the TV two-part series The Second Coming written by Russell T Davies.

They recorded “The Girl With the Sun in Her Head” from In Sides using Greenpeace’s mobile solar power generator CYRUS. They named an early record “Belfast” after playing live in the city of Belfast at the height of The Troubles in 1990. Other album track titles suggest environmental concern such as “Kein Trink Wasser” (”no drinking water” in German) from Snivilisaton and “Dŵr Budr” (”dirty water” in Welsh) and “PlayP.E.T.R.O.L.” from In Sides.

Pioneer of British electronic music returns Orbital (aka Phil and Paul Hartnoll) were, for almost two decades, one of the most creative and influential electronic acts on the planet, recording their seventh and last studio album in 2004. Not content to rest on the laurels of past glory, Phil Hartnoll’s new creative project is Long Range, formed in conjunction with Nick Smith, an artist whose recording career for dance labels Dragonfly and Atomic Records has led to major film credits with Ridley Scott. Long Range’s sound harks back to the ambient genius that was Orbital whilst transporting the listener into a more acoustic, atmospheric and cinematic realm. From blissed out moments to jarred and broken beats, their eponymous album references a spectrum of genres and refuses to be pigeonholed.

Orbital reformed in 2009 with the original lineup of Phil Hartnoll and Paul Hartnoll and will perform across the globe from 2009/2010.

Orbital website: www.loopz.co.uk
Expert Knob Twiddler

Post by Expert Knob Twiddler »

dengelman wrote:Back from "retirement" etc
yeah I thought they called it a day.
ferg

Post by ferg »

nice one :)
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

SOOO up for this one.
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

^ massively.
Upcoming....
DNB Sessions Sundays 10.30pm // KISSFM.com.au // 87.6FM
Total Science - 26th June @ Mercat
spin

Post by spin »

played funny break at the pub on sunday night, was awesome.
ANYTHING:TEST
BOB DEEP
WOBBLE
REVOLVER
BLACK CAT
http://gutterhype.blogspot.com/
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

Oh god damn it, I'm at a bucks weekend otherwise I'd be all over this. Saw them at Glade (or half the act anyway, same diff) a few years back so got a fix... :D
dengelman

Post by dengelman »

a1studmuffin wrote:Oh god damn it, I'm at a bucks weekend otherwise I'd be all over this. Saw them at Glade (or half the act anyway, same diff) a few years back so got a fix... :D
pretty sure it's not the same diff, but keep telling yourself that whilst at your bucks! :lol:

Phil Hartnoll played at Earthcore few years back - was great but just a DJ set. I think they cut the sound at the end of his set - meaning "Doctor" was just played through the foldback... Loved it anyway.

No comparison to the full live experience!
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

dengelman wrote: Phil Hartnoll played at Earthcore few years back - was great but just a DJ set. I think they cut the sound at the end of his set - meaning "Doctor" was just played through the foldback... Loved it anyway.
He did, and i was stage managing, and they didnt tell me they were cutting us off!
hence why i ended up with his HD full of tunes...all lights and sound went down and it was POURING. so we sat in my car and smoked spliffs instead of worrying hahah

:lol:

earthcore - fun times for punters - nightmare for international acts and workers.
saintberry

Post by saintberry »

dengelman wrote:
a1studmuffin wrote:Oh god damn it, I'm at a bucks weekend otherwise I'd be all over this. Saw them at Glade (or half the act anyway, same diff) a few years back so got a fix... :D
pretty sure it's not the same diff, but keep telling yourself that whilst at your bucks! :lol:
Hahaha yeah, as thinking exactly this.

Phill played pretty naff the past few times I've seem him. They are a great live act, not great DJs...
Kaiproject

Post by Kaiproject »

phil also played after myagi at lucky break a few years back at miss lib?
i think i left halfway thru, was a bit disjointed and didn't suit the night or the vibe of the crowd, so what saintberry said about the dj sets..
everything ive watched of orbital live looks well wicked tho
Kaiproject

Post by Kaiproject »

any orbital live set recordings floating around?

youtube vids make me want moar

esp this one someone posted in the itm thread:

J0rdz

Post by J0rdz »

See you there! :D

Iv got a live set of theirs at home somewhere - the breakup one they did a while back? I'll try source it out, its fucking phenom!
ferg

Post by ferg »

just bought tickets for this :)
J0rdz

Post by J0rdz »

Kaiproject wrote:any orbital live set recordings floating around?
Sourced out their 'Final Performance Live at Maida Vale 28/07/04' - their last set before they "broke up".
Uploading as i type. Will post the link once it's up. It is freakin phenomenal! Defo give you an idea of what to expect on the night :D :D
Kaiproject

Post by Kaiproject »

J0rdz wrote:
Kaiproject wrote:any orbital live set recordings floating around?
Sourced out their 'Final Performance Live at Maida Vale 28/07/04' - their last set before they "broke up".
Uploading as i type. Will post the link once it's up. It is freakin phenomenal! Defo give you an idea of what to expect on the night :D :D

Sickkk look fwd to hearing it
J0rdz

Post by J0rdz »

Orbital - Final Performance Live at Maida Vale 28/07/04
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AGLKYHEZ

BAM! :)
Amick

Post by Amick »

J0rdz wrote:Orbital - Final Performance Live at Maida Vale 28/07/04

Throw it in the mixes thread boss.

:D
dengelman

Post by dengelman »

Yeah I remember that mix well - was so sad that I would never get to see them but caned the mix for years.
Crowd noises a bit annoying. ("Badger" is now in Oz and coming to the Melb gig...)

Now I can enjoy the mix and see them live!
WOOT!
stable

Post by stable »

They are the greatest live act you will ever see, I promise.

I saw a few of their final performances back in 2004 and it's really something special, and that was just live, no video, light show etc, just them and a pile of analogue gear.

But for their return to the stage there will be a full multimedia rig coming with them and their own custom stage show!!!
(plus every vintage synth you can imagine!!)

The show is almost sold out, and there will be NO SECOND SHOW.

:)
spazz

Post by spazz »

Amick wrote:
J0rdz wrote:Orbital - Final Performance Live at Maida Vale 28/07/04

Throw it in the mixes thread boss.

:D
This is a freakingly awesome set. Well rinsing at the mo.

Amick just noticed your little sig with a Ginsburg quote................. 8) Angel-headed hipsters what an awesome term, it was coined by Jack Kerouac but very cool.
stable

Post by stable »

aweee yessss....
menace

Post by menace »

supports are great jeff tyler omg :smt007 :smt007
menace

Post by menace »

any industry tickets ?
dengelman

Post by dengelman »

I've got 3 tickets I now need to sell.
Please pm me if you need cheap early bird prices.
I'm not a promoter but would really like to offload these tix...

Show will be amazing!
Kaiproject

Post by Kaiproject »

this week cannot go fast enough.

that live set is fantastic, 'cept for the pausing between tracks sometimes but massive live hardware setup so fair enough. they're using more software now i believe a bit of ableton so hopefully its an even moar epic show in 2010...
mrj

Post by mrj »

menace wrote:supports are great jeff tyler omg :smt007 :smt007
yeh script, was one of the main reasons i considered this gig.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

i am excited.

and to anyone who i told it was sold out - 300 more tickets have been released so get in there!
bandpass

Post by bandpass »

Kaiproject wrote:
that live set is fantastic, 'cept for the pausing between tracks sometimes but massive live hardware setup so fair enough.
honestly i would rather artists DID spend a moment between tunes, loading patches and sequence patterns into their equipment...i'd much rather see a genuinely live show with songs played on the instruments they were written on, than have a seemless mixed set of non-stop beats

Friday can't come quick enough!!
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

Very excited.
Kaiproject

Post by Kaiproject »

bandpass wrote:
Kaiproject wrote:
that live set is fantastic, 'cept for the pausing between tracks sometimes but massive live hardware setup so fair enough.
honestly i would rather artists DID spend a moment between tunes, loading patches and sequence patterns into their equipment...i'd much rather see a genuinely live show with songs played on the instruments they were written on, than have a seemless mixed set of non-stop beats

Friday can't come quick enough!!
true. they could keep one patch going though just a pad or something for some vibe then drop it out later :P
just being fussy, it was a radio studio in 2004 not a club or festival in 2010 hehe
can't wait
saintberry

Post by saintberry »

What time are they playing?
dengelman

Post by dengelman »

Matt Radovich 8pm - 10pm
Eric Powell 10pm - 11pm
ORBITAL 11pm - 12.30am
Jeff Tyler 12.30am - 1.30am

Sorry to harp on, but I've still got 3 cheap tix I can't seem to give away.
Getting pretty desperate so will consider any offers to avoid them going unused.
Kids heading to Boratto or No Nonsense could even pop in for pre-drinks at Orbital before for a cheap price?
PM if interested.
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

have fun kids!
dengelman

Post by dengelman »

Stable says may be on stage from as early as 1030, and will play as long as they want (but a live show so don't expect a marathon...)

In other news - I am eternally grateful to my mate for filling in for me at work for a few hours whilst I get all crazy with the Hartnolls LIVE!

Thats right - I'm back baby!!

Super pumped now :blob6: (or ":blob6:" as elflaymo would say ;) )
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

Gotta love an early start!
The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well
lilstormer

Post by lilstormer »

Wish I was going to this, but broken ankle still too broken :-( have fun kids!
saintberry

Post by saintberry »

For something like Orbital playing live on a Friday, what time did you expect? Personally I was thinking they would be on at 10. 11 is fine for a show like this IMO.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

yeah, its a concert gig, not a nightclub event.....

I am REALLY excited. and 11 is perfect! even earlier would be good hehehe