OSTARA FESTIVAL 2010 - September 17, 18 & 19th

This is the forum for all things Melbourne beats. Post your gigs and other Melbourne music related information here. Keep it about the music and music only, please keep on topic.
SoulWhiteMan

OSTARA FESTIVAL 2010 - September 17, 18 & 19th

Post by SoulWhiteMan »

Waking from slumber and dreams of flight,
I blink my eyes against the light.
I feel the warmth of the morning sun,
Excite at the day and what is to come -
For now is a time of life and love,
A change is coming brought from above.
The Green Lady calls from the valleys of home -
“Ostara is here!, Ostara has come!”.

I greet the day and welcome the sound,
Of birdsong and chatter from all around.
Down to the green grass and all the life there -
The rebirth of nature, the chase of the Hare.
The world is awakening to life anew,
I see the beauty in the morning dew.
The changing of seasons, the warmth of the sun -
“Ostara is here!, Ostara has come!.”

The children are playing, the men are in song,
The women are dancing and playing along,
The bells they are ringing, the fires alight,
The Green Lady smiles as we rejoice in her sight.
With love in our hearts and peace in our minds,
We welcome the spring, leaving sorrow behind.
New beginnings are here with joy to be won -
“Ostara is here!, Ostara has come!”.

Now in it's fourth year, Ostara Festival, brought to you by Bish Bash Bosh Productions Inc will be celebrating the coming of Spring once again, with 3 days of music carefully hand picked to bring you a weekend full of live music and electronica. With over 60 artists on the bill, you will be guaranteed there will be something there for everyone!

From such artists as Sun in Aquarius (Addictech / Enig'matik), Goosebumpz (Disconekta), Mr Bill (Qwerty), Jigsaw, Merkaba (Zenon), Mollusk (Omlette), Svelt (Qwerty), The Backyard Job, Tim McMillan Band, Yelka, Alias and the Jams, Sans Gras, Geamala, Spyndrift, Loren Kate, with more to be released in the next couple of weeks. This is just a taster!

FIRST ROUND EARLY BIRD TICKETS HAVE SOLD OUT.

Limited 2nd round tickets available now $80 + bf each until Midnight 24th August.
Click on the link below to purchase yours online before they go up to Round Three at $100.
Details of retail outlets of where you can purchase tickets also, will be notified shortly.

http://www.greentix.com.au/events/11806

SOUND: FUNKTION ONE KINDLY PROVIDED BY ISHTAR PRODUCTIONS
POWER: GREEN POWER SOLUTIONS (BIO-DIESEL ALL THE WAY)
DECOR: PIXIE LOU AND FRIENDS
MARKET STALL AREA BROUGHT TO YOU BY: THE PIXIE ARTS COLLECTIVE

VOLUNTEERS OTHER THAN GATEl: [email protected]
GATE VOLUNTEERS: [email protected]
DECOR CONTRIBUTIONS: [email protected]
MARKET STALL EXPRESSION OF INTEREST (non food vendors): [email protected]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>>>>> PRODUCERS/DJs: <<<<<

SUN IN AQUARIUS (Addictech / Enig'matik)
http://www.myspace.com/suninaquarius

Sun in aquarius is the Synthesized Data from an exploration through the deep, drenched underworlds of experimental electronic composition. Sound design plays a leading role and is carried out with in this project with scrupulous attention to the gl♪tchest of details.

The name Sun in Aquarius draws from an astrological connection and also to the love of the sea and all things water sounding, so field recordings of water from a variety of soundscapes are manipulated in with other captured sounds as well as dense sonic scapes . Acid drenched basslines and intelligent sampling to create a truly origional aural experience.
Sun in Aquarius also draws attention to the light in the dark (or the sun in the deep sea.), for this project encompasses deep underworld like soundscapes which often have a ray of light through the use of ethereal and uplifting sound design.

Jake (23) resides in the lush hinterland of the Northern Rivers region of New South Wales (Australia), in the hills just out of Byron Bay, He uses this as a defining tool to draw inspiration from the landscape and also the people he surrounds himself with.

THE BACKYARD JOB
http://www.myspace.com/thebackyardjob

‘The Backyard Job’ was formed by Dim and AP, after the two broke away from the Axle Whitehead Band in 2008. Wanting to get a little more juicy the boys built some custom effects and their own sound system! (In the backyard)

During the duration of the period till now, Backyard have teamed up with Melbourne based Dubstep and Drum n’ Bass crews to play gigs in parks, under bridges, or anywhere a system might reverberate nicely!

After their first gig being broken up by riot police, and sleeping in the park in the rain, (to guard the system), the Backyard only got hungrier, which led to them playing at Strawberry fields festival later that year!

Their sound is a mixture of punk/dnb/dubstep/ and noise, comprising of guitars/vocals/samples/and some dirty rotten bass. At a live show you can expect nothing as a large portion of their set is improvised, with some mash ups and originals thrown in for kicks!

Come and celebrate the backyard lifestyle, and remember it’s not just a band, it’s a lifestyle!!!

MR BILL (QWERTY)
http://soundcloud.com/mr-bill

Hi, my name is Bill. I am from a little town called Windsor in Sydney, Australia. Throughout my life I have always been exposed to music. When I was 5 my mother bought me a Casio CTK-330 (which is now in the process of being circuit bent). I screwed around on this machine for a few years before getting bored and moving on to bigger and better things. When I was about 10 I was given a guitar also by my mother which I proceeded to play every day for the next 10 years for a few hours a day.

I studied music throughout high school then went on to TAFE afterwards. When I was 17 I studied drums at NIRIMBA TAFE in Quakers Hill, Sydney, Australia. I had the naive attitude that it was taking up too much time listening to people talk about music and not spending enough time playing. So I dropped out and continued to play guitar and drums at home for the next few years.

In this space of time I was in a few different bands and was regularly jamming with many musicians just having fun with instruments until I was introduced to Ableton Live by a friend who had convinced me that Garage band (the program I was using to plot my ideas previously) was totally not the go.

After using Live for a few months and realising its true potential I didnʼt look back. From then on I spent all the time I used to play guitar and drums to work out how Ableton Live works.

After spending much time working out the inʼs and outʼs of Live I decided it was time to go and learn the inʼs and outʼs of sound theory. Why things do what they do, how we can implement these things in different ways etc. So I started studying Audio Engineering at SAE, Sydney, Australia.
I hope you enjoy what I do and I hope to hear from you all soon! Thanks very much for your support!

GOOSEBUMPZ (DISCONEKTA)
http://www.myspace.com/goosebumpzmusic

Currently based in Brisbane, Nash began producing dance music in 2007. Inspired by outdoor dance parties as well as Australian artists, he developed a taste for wacky morning psy. After several months of writing morning trance and with a release on Adapted Records, Nash began to broaden his horizons which led to the birth of Goosebumpz.
With a passion for all sorts of electronic music, Nash still finds it difficult to commit to a certain genre and is currently producing a variety of styles including dub-step, mid-tempo breaks and electro.

Focusing on moist, squelchy basslines and sharp, pretty leads Goosebumpz delivers a staunch psychedelic experience resulting in multiple Chakra explosions similar to the White House from "Independence Day". Like drinking a Sprite on Mt. Everest, Goosebumpz will leave you revitalised and dripping...

JIGSAW
http://www.myspace.com/jigsawdoof

Jigsaw is the solo project of Tom Crossley; Musician, Producer & Psychedelic adventurer. Based in Melbourne, Jigsaw frequently plays at parties, festivals and clubs around the country. With a solid 9 years experience writing electronic music, and a taste for all things psychedelic, the Jigsaw sound is a balance of frequencies designed to navigate. Influenced by many genres and styles, it is raw yet mature, full of complex rhythms and attention to detail, and coming to a dancefloor near you!

MERKABA (Zenon Records)
http://www.myspace.com/elfunkshui

From the depths of a valley in the Southern Highlands of NSW comes Merkaba, a deep progressive project from Elliot Wilmot. From jamming out as a drummer to spinning hip hop and breakbeats for 6 years Elliot has always had a healthy relationship with music. In 2004 he decided to have a go at making his own deliciously phat beats, however, it wasn't until Jan 2007 when he found himself barefoot in the Aussie bush in front of some monster speaker stacks that he realized his ultimate musical direction. The Doof had changed him forever! With a focus on positive and healing vibrations Merkaba combines deep basslines with lush melodies, tribal percussion and a focus on an overall 'organic' sound. Prepare for a vibrational journey that connects the mind, heart, body, and dancefloor!

MOLLUSK (Omelette Records)
http://www.myspace.com/themolluskband

The Mollusk aka Shane Vigo started back in 2007 as a solo project. At the beginning of his carrier he was mainly composing down tempo music but has strayed away from the more ambient style and started to experiment with a glitchy upbeat dance vibe, taking inspiration from 70's Funk, Disco, Electro, dub-step and just about everything else! In more recent years The Mollusk has been churning out funky, dynamic, animated beats with his Debut release "Sea Food" becoming an instant hit and immediately topping the Addictech charts. He has played at such party's as Renaissance, Rainbow Serpent Festival, Winter Solstice, Ostara Festival and much more.

The Mollusk is now working on his 2nd project with the likes of: Vibesquad (USA), Opiuo (NZ), Mr Roger's (USA), SpoonBill (OZ), Ben Samples (USA) and more to be announced!. Unlike a remix album or compilation all tracks on the next release will be "The Mollusk" collaborating with each of the artist involved!

>>>>> LIVE BANDS <<<<<

SVELT (QWERTY)
http://www.myspace.com/sveltband

Live-beats band Svelt combines jungle, hip-hop and dub influences using squelched synths, stabbing guitars and live
drums to create a cerebral dance-floor experience. The band’s five members include Aden Wessels on vocals and FX,
James Nichols on synths, Jesse Ricketson on drums, and Duncan Ford on guitar.

Svelt carry the flame of other great Australian live electronic bands such as Pivot and The Bird, but mix in their own
flavour with influences ranging through Aphex Twin, Flying Lotus and Joker with the vocal stylings of Tom Waits,
Goldfrapp and Little Dragons.

Their self-titled LP was released on the 5th of March, 2010, on QWERTY records. It is an eclectic mix of punchy songs,
bass heavy jams and incendiary percussion. Self recorded and mixed, the band had the chance to hone the production
and experiment with sounds more than in a traditional studio.

Svelt’s growth as a band has been lovingly nurtured by the Sydney DIY warehouse party scene which has given the band
the freedom to experiment, toy with improvised sets and carry out seamless DJ-style performances. So far, Svelt have
been attracting big crowds in venues throughout crumbling industrial sites of Sydney's Inner West, such as at the
legendary free "Channel" parties. Svelt have played alongside a diverse range of acts including Pendulum, The Bird, Sub
Bass Snarl, El Gusto (Hermitude), and The Barons of Tang. They have performed at a variety of festivals including the
Peats Ridge Festival '09-'10, Newtown Festival '09, High and Dry Festival '09, Addison Rd Community Open Day '10,
and are due to tour nationally in September.

TIM MCMILLAN BAND
http://www.myspace.com/timmcmillanguitar

Tim McMillan Band from Melbourne, Australia, is a renegade and a totally unique musician. He presents his virtuoso acoustic capabilities in the almost athletic Gitarrenkniffen and with ingenious and melodic songwriting.

After the release of his debut album "After Party" Tim McMillan Band played at several European and Australian tours, and spread it to be self-conceived genre known as Goblincore, a colorful mixture of different styles, from Swamp Folk (Marsh Folk) to Acoustic Viking Metal (Acoustic Vikings Metal). Between these trips, he joined again in a studio, where with the help of various guest musicians, the new album is knitted: 2.13 is a collection of songs, solo guitar pieces and instrumental tracks with full band accompaniment.

YELKA
http://www.myspace.com/yelkamusic

Yelka’s charmingly imperfect voice hovers gorgeously throughout minimal acoustic-based arrangements, gleaming with lyrical and instrumental hooks. Her slightly coy, yet genteel performances barely mask an artistic maturity well beyond her years.

Yelka enamored audiences and judges alike at The 2008 Queenscliff Music Festival’s Foot In The Door competition, picking up first prize in the Acoustic category. 2009 has seen Yelka support artists at The Thornbury Theatre, The Northcote Social Club, and play her own packed-out headline show at Manchester Lane.

Peppered with self-made words (‘Yelkaby’) and nonsense syllables, Yelka’s songs invite singalongs and infectious smiles. And in the same breath, Yelka delivers searingly personal renditions of love lost, gained and shared with friends. It’s no wonder this young songbird is receiving comparisons to hitmakers Norah Jones and Corinne Bailey Rae.

She is currently under the mentorship of Clare Bowditch which she is unbelievably ecstatic about.

ALIAS & THE JAMS
http://www.myspace.com/aliasandthejams
http://vimeo.com/13480885

A grunty down-tuned 12 String guitar with melodic vocals and a double bass with a drum kit laden with African and Middle Eastern hand percussion is the sound of Adelaide trio Alias & The Jams.

Alias & The Jams have been described to those such as José Gonzalez meets The John Butler Trio meets Rage Against The Machine. They have been making their mark playing at such festivals at the Sydney Road Music Festival, Mr Gambier Blues & Roots with Ash Grunwald and Bonjah, Little Buckley Gathering with Band Woo Hoo, Review, Mihiranghi and at various venues around Australia with the likes of Ash Grunwald, Rob Sawyer, Butterfingers, and Marshall & The Fro.

“Organic-sounding…cruisy, earthy vibe” - Aaron Farrant DB Magazine

“Big sounding, poetic, original, catchy, cryptic, earthy, humble & authentic” - The John Woods Band (Big Day Out)

“I must admit I was actually powerfully blown away by your material” - Tom Hallett from Deep Grooves Production/Pulse of the Twin Cities Newspaper

SANS GRAS
http://www.myspace.com/sansgrasmusic

We make psychedelic indie-rock. Born of the ashes of an arrogantly named solo project, Sans Gras have just finished recording our debut EP at Birdland studios. Insert bit here about how awesome we are live using words such as "frenetic" and "blistering". Shared stages with: The Fumes, Tom Ugly, Dead River Deeps, Electric Jellyfish, The Orphanage, Cuba is Japan, The Black Hill Five. Film clip for first single "Wild Wind" on the way. See you at Ostara Festival.

GEAMALA
http://www.myspace.com/geamala

Geamala are a world music group unlike any other, combining elements of many genres, ranging from atmospheric, eastern, arabic, tribal, electro-acoustic and trance maintaining a profoundly spiritual focus. These elements are boldly woven together exploring new angles of traditional music to create mesmerizing timeless soundscapes and powerful hypnotic rhythms that leave audiences in a state of enlivened connectedness.

Having such an eclectic sound, Geamala have taken a leaf from many books, these main influences would include but are not limited to, Dead Can Dance, The Tea Party, Secret Chiefs 3, Rodruigo y Gabriella, Taikoz and Riley Lee.

Geamala have had the joy of playing on some of Melbourne's finest stages including The Corner Hotel, The Espy Gershwyn Room and Front Bar, Northcote Social Club, The Evelyn, Ding Dong and many others. Geamala have also shared these stages with some of Melbourne's most respected acts including Mushroom Giant, Jericco, Sydonia, 12 Foot Ninja, Sleepmakeswaves, Sleep Parade and Dub the Magic Dragon.

In 2010 Geamala are seeking to expand their audience and are eagerly setting their sites on performing on the vibrant festival circuit. With the release of their upcoming debut album “Forking Paths” due out in mid 2010, Geamala are set to make their mark on the ever-growing Australian and International festival scene.

SPYNDRIFT
http://www.myspace.com/spyndrift

Situated along one of the most stunning coastlines of Southern Victoria is Spyndrift a lively band with a lot to offer!!

The Music: is raw, grungy, bouncy, frisky, sassy and sweet. Reggae ska inspired combined with rockin fine licks, catchy lyrics and a down to earth message.

The Show: VIBRANT, BURLESQUE, EXPLOSIVE, CAPTIVATING THEATRICAL & MEMORABLE.

Band members Elle, Hoya and Merin have performed in numerous musical outfits together and separately for over two decades. They also have a depth of experience and skills in theatre, children's pantomimes, workshops, puppetry and dance. In 2004 Merin reunited and Richard, an experienced and seasoned musician joined and together, Spyndrift was born. With a plethora of songs under their belt their self produced album ‘Sound Swell’ was recorded 2006-07. Since then the music has undergone a steady metamorphous from laidback groove to a dynamic and highly energetic show. Spyndrift were the 2010 winners of the Vic Hunt Memorial Music Award at Sleepy Hollow Blues Club in Geelong, with the prize money they will be recording their second EP in Melbourne.

Spyndrift have regular appearances and call backs to popular coastal music festivals and are continuing to wow and captivate new audiences wherever they go.

LOREN KATE
http://www.myspace.com/lorenkate

Enchantingly beautiful, down-to-earth and absolutely spellbinding, Loren Kate has cast a sublime and haunting web over audiences around the country with her unique and unforgettable sound and soul.
Having travelled and toured to most corners of Australia over the years, Loren has steadily forged a close relationship with her music and the land, having penned songs in just about every town from Fremantle to Byron Bay.

Her debut album, Brand New Shoes is a great milestone for the 25-year-old songwriter. Recorded over just 5 days at Soundmine Studio in Western Australia with producer Lee Buddle and 7 talented WA musicians, the album has the sound and feel of a highly crafted work of art, no doubt due to the amount of energy, enthusiasm and love put in during the time leading up to recording. The result is a beautifully dynamic, emotionally charged storybook of two or more years’ worth of joy, love, loss, gratitude, family, friends, travel and everything in between.

Over the last few years, Loren has travelled extensively around the country, taking her music from the deserts to the seas and back again. She has performed at countless venues and festivals around the country including Woodford Folk Festival (QLD), Peats Ridge Folk Festival (NSW), Fairbridge Festival (WA), Fleurieu Folk Festival (SA), Tamar Valley Folk Festival (Tas), Earthdance (WA), Alice Springs Desert Festival (NT), Oenpelli Open Day (NT), Go Organic Festival (SA) and was awarded most promising emerging artist at the Nannup Music Festival (WA).

Loren Kate has also shared the stage with such fine musicians as Tim Freedman (The Whitlams), Lior, iOTA, Epicure, Vika and Linda Bull (The Black Sorrows), and folk legend Eric Bogle.
In 2010, Loren is planning on releasing a new 5 track EP collaborating with acclaimed cellist, Mel Robinson (Tim Rogers, Missy Higgins).

Don’t miss her performance at Ostara Festival at it’s bound to move your heart and soul!

Stand by for further updates! There's a lot coming your way soon over the next few days/weeks leading up to the festival. See you all in September, everyone!
Last edited by SoulWhiteMan on Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:42 am, edited 13 times in total.
Direkt

Re: OSTARA FESTIVAL 2010 - September 17, 18 & 19th

Post by Direkt »

I haven't heard of any of those dudes...
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

Direkt wrote:I haven't heard of any of those dudes...
that's cuz ur not a hippie
Kaiproject

Post by Kaiproject »

isn't it a good thing sometimes?

low expectations = mind may be blown

still haven't got to ostara before, always mean to...maybe...
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Kaiproject wrote:
isn't it a good thing sometimes?

low expectations = mind may be blown

still haven't got to ostara before, always mean to...maybe...
Not in my opinion, no.

It's not exactly a walk around the corner - takes a bit of commitment to attend such a gig, it'd be nice to know there at least a couple of acts that you're into before making the trek.

Just my 2c, and I'm sure there'll be other acts announced later. It's just that usually the first acts announced are the draw cards, of sorts.
SoulWhiteMan

Post by SoulWhiteMan »

Hey guys, it would probably help to know that Ostara Festival is about promoting up and coming artists both in the live band sector as well as electronica across all genres.

Here's our mission statement and the charity we'll be donating to this year. In the last three year's that Ostara has been running, we have raised a total off $16,500 (since 2007) with $10,000 raised last year alone which was donated to the Wurdale Community Centre and the Wautharong Community - our indigenous host community.

Below our Mission Statement:

OSTARA'S MISSION STATEMENT:

To host an annual music, arts and lifestyle festival celebrating the birth of new life surrounding the Spring Equinox. The equinox is significant because it marks the promise of growth that we strive to share with the artists we promote.

OBJECTIVES
* To foster a festival space for creative expression with focus on musical, visual and performing arts.
* To donate raised funds to grass-roots, community and environmentally based organisations.
* To expand the social and creative networks between different communities.
* To promote unsigned and independent Australian artists

One of the charities we'll be donating to this year is:

The Ripple Effect Western Victorian Rural Indigenous Recover and Healing Service Inc.

These guys are in much need of funding. They are a multi-disciplined service, providing transgenerational support and assistance for ATSI families, individuals and communities to develop personal and collective strategies to overcoming social disadvantage and build sustainable pathways with employment, education and training. They also provide holistic services for Indigenous people and support the current mainstream employment, education and training organisations to build and enhance their working relationships with Indigenous Australians, and so much more!!!

This event is also about bringing together different types of communities together in order to bring unity between different music crews. Diversity in range of music spans from blues and root, rock, folk, dub, reggae, dubstep, DnB, progressive, techno, ambient chill and more! It's not a hippie fest - it's a music festival event to cater for all and sundry.

Both stages will be presenting a wide variety of music both live and producers.

Hope that helps.

Thanks.

Ostara HQ
Dubspiral

Post by Dubspiral »

Yeah stay at home guys. Then you'll miss Sun in Aquarius and all of the other retarded bass spasms we'll be pushing from the 2 Ishtar Funktion1 systems on site.

There's still a lot of announcements to come, including a great Dubstep, IDM lineup. A little bit of D&B as well.

Friday night will be mostly bass music. Live dub, dubstep and dubstep DJs.

Saturday night will have a complete Dubstep / IDM alternative to the 'doof'.

Seriously guys we are pushing some quality, quality original local Dubstep / IDM producers that you may never have heard of.

Keep your eyes peeled over the coming weeks and if you STILL don't see anything you 'know' then maybe its time to realise that sometimes the roads less traveled are the best ones to be on.. ...especially when it comes to great music!

Open your ears people... ...there's fresh, unreleased stuff going on within this country that you'll miss while waiting for the next 'big name' to hit the city. If people want us to start pushing music they love and know then they should start supporting us so we can deliver it the only way worth its worth having...

OUTDOORS!

Cheers and stay tuned.
SoulWhiteMan

Post by SoulWhiteMan »

Just added to the line up ............

SVELT
http://www.myspace.com/sveltband

Live-beats band Svelt combines jungle, hip-hop and dub influences using squelched synths, stabbing guitars and live
drums to create a cerebral dance-floor experience. The band’s five members include Aden Wessels on vocals and FX,
James Nichols on synths, Jesse Ricketson on drums, and Duncan Ford on guitar.

Svelt carry the flame of other great Australian live electronic bands such as Pivot and The Bird, but mix in their own
flavour with influences ranging through Aphex Twin, Flying Lotus and Joker with the vocal stylings of Tom Waits,
Goldfrapp and Little Dragons.

Their self-titled LP was released on the 5th of March, 2010, on QWERTY records. It is an eclectic mix of punchy songs,
bass heavy jams and incendiary percussion. Self recorded and mixed, the band had the chance to hone the production
and experiment with sounds more than in a traditional studio.

Svelt’s growth as a band has been lovingly nurtured by the Sydney DIY warehouse party scene which has given the band
the freedom to experiment, toy with improvised sets and carry out seamless DJ-style performances. So far, Svelt have
been attracting big crowds in venues throughout crumbling industrial sites of Sydney's Inner West, such as at the
legendary free "Channel" parties. Svelt have played alongside a diverse range of acts including Pendulum, The Bird, Sub
Bass Snarl, El Gusto (Hermitude), and The Barons of Tang. They have performed at a variety of festivals including the
Peats Ridge Festival '09-'10, Newtown Festival '09, High and Dry Festival '09, Addison Rd Community Open Day '10,
and are due to tour nationally in September.
ulyssian

Post by ulyssian »

3rd year in a row.... and I reckon I'll be going til the day I.. or it dies!

Plenty of artists to be added Direkt... you may know of some... we know of a few..... and it is exciting :D

And even if you don't know of some of them... it is well worth ALL the effort for what will be showcased!!!! WELL WORTH IT IMO.

This festival has grown but has retained it's intimacy.

It has become more diverse..... they have really embraced the jungle/dnb/dubstep crowd and given us somewhere to 'doof' or 'thump/stomp'....

The lineup last year left us murdering the grounds with the beats stage... then the renegade stages filled some gaps.

The people are amazing... after popping my festival cherry with this one, and after going to a couple of others.... I rate this as my FAVE, hands down, full stop, exclamation mark!!!!!

The organisers are champions.

I put my leave in 2 months ago... that's how much it means to me :D
:dancing: :joy: :brohugs: :kooislayer.: :teefnilly: :joy: :dancing: :brohugs: :angel10: brushteeth :smt049 :smt049 :smt049 :smt049 :smt049 :smt049 :smt049 :smt054 :smt055 :smt060 :smt065 :smt043 :smt044 :smt045

Yeah, think that covers it!!!
Dingo

Post by Dingo »

Love this festy-
Spewin to miss- Enjoy 4 me 2
Check out my soundcloud page at:
http://soundcloud.com/nativedog
Mixes and productions by Native Dog
SoulWhiteMan

Post by SoulWhiteMan »

Ostara Festival ticket office is now opened! As mentioned, there will only be a limited number of early bird tickets available and for two weeks only. So get in quick if you don't want to miss out! Price is currently set at $60 each and available online only.

Sale ends midnight 10th August.

:joy:
Last edited by SoulWhiteMan on Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
manofunreal

Post by manofunreal »

Always up for dubstep and d'n'b outdoors... FUUUUUCKKK YEAAAHH! (Having said that, not sure if I can make it but will certainly try)
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Cool.
eN

Post by eN »

manofunreal wrote:Always up for dubstep and d'n'b outdoors... FUUUUUCKKK YEAAAHH! (Having said that, not sure if I can make it but will certainly try)
This guy doesn't think so: (from oztrance)
eden_project wrote:i'm all for diversity but for im not too sure about increase the amount of glitch-hop/dnb/dubstep in the doof scene. it's the kind of music that if you're parents walked in on you listening to it full blast they'd think you'd lost the plot
manofunreal

Post by manofunreal »

That's hilarious :lol:
Dubspiral

Post by Dubspiral »

eN wrote:
manofunreal wrote:Always up for dubstep and d'n'b outdoors... FUUUUUCKKK YEAAAHH! (Having said that, not sure if I can make it but will certainly try)
This guy doesn't think so: (from oztrance)
eden_project wrote:i'm all for diversity but for im not too sure about increase the amount of glitch-hop/dnb/dubstep in the doof scene. it's the kind of music that if you're parents walked in on you listening to it full blast they'd think you'd lost the plot

You see what we have to deal with here? Where's the balance? Soft hippies crying for a nice conversation over the 'background doof' and hardened bass heads who can't regulate their BPMs with diversity...

All I can say is who needs balance when you've got Sun in Aquarius summoning sub demons that spew bubbling bile onto your pretty little toes. Better bring some spare footy boots to hand to the barefoots getting stuck in the dancefloor spew.

Honestly the boy from Byron is incredible. Come and listen before the rest of the world finds out after his album (mastered Dave Tipper) drops on Addictech in just 3 days...

Don't say I didn't warn you and I won't have to insist that I TOLD YOU SO!

That is all. :kooislayer.:
marke

Post by marke »

yew sun in aq sweet on a good system
am hoping to be able to come again, got to check dates...
calling you soon dubspi to conform another date upcoming :smt033
SoulWhiteMan

Post by SoulWhiteMan »

manofunreal wrote:That's hilarious :lol:
I love the assumptions here:

(1) Mum and dad walk into cranking psytrance: no big deal
(2) Mum and dad walk into glitch hop/dnb etc: they'll freak out
(3) I'm a hippie and still live with my parents.
manofunreal

Post by manofunreal »

:lol:
deviant

Post by deviant »

spewin' was totally planning on going this year....
SoulWhiteMan

Post by SoulWhiteMan »

Hi everyone, just letting you know that first round tickets are selling fast and likely to sell out by the weekend. We only set aside a certain number for Early Birds at $60 each. Click on the link below to purchase yours online before they go up to Round Two at $80.

Thanks all.

SoulWhiteMan

Post by SoulWhiteMan »

Here goes ...... next round of announcements!

THE BACKYARD JOB
http://www.myspace.com/thebackyardjob

‘The Backyard Job’ was formed by Dim and AP, after the two broke away from the Axle Whitehead Band in 2008. Wanting to get a little more juicy the boys built some custom effects and their own sound system! (In the backyard)

During the duration of the period till now, Backyard have teamed up with Melbourne based Dubstep and Drum n’ Bass crews to play gigs in parks, under bridges, or anywhere a system might reverberate nicely!

After their first gig being broken up by riot police, and sleeping in the park in the rain, (to guard the system), the Backyard only got hungrier, which led to them playing at Strawberry fields festival later that year!

Their sound is a mixture of punk/dnb/dubstep/ and noise, comprising of guitars/vocals/samples/and some dirty rotten bass. At a live show you can expect nothing as a large portion of their set is improvised, with some mash ups and originals thrown in for kicks!

Come and celebrate the backyard lifestyle, and remember it’s not just a band, it’s a lifestyle!!!

JIGSAW
http://www.myspace.com/jigsawdoof

Jigsaw is the solo project of Tom Crossley; Musician, Producer & Psychedelic adventurer. Based in Melbourne, Jigsaw frequently plays at parties, festivals and clubs around the country. With a solid 9 years experience writing electronic music, and a taste for all things psychedelic, the Jigsaw sound is a balance of frequencies designed to navigate. Influenced by many genres and styles, it is raw yet mature, full of complex rhythms and attention to detail, and coming to a dancefloor near you!

MERKABA (Zenon Records)
http://www.myspace.com/elfunkshui

From the depths of a valley in the Southern Highlands of NSW comes Merkaba, a deep progressive project from Elliot Wilmot. From jamming out as a drummer to spinning hip hop and breakbeats for 6 years Elliot has always had a healthy relationship with music. In 2004 he decided to have a go at making his own deliciously phat beats, however, it wasn't until Jan 2007 when he found himself barefoot in the Aussie bush in front of some monster speaker stacks that he realized his ultimate musical direction. The Doof had changed him forever! With a focus on positive and healing vibrations Merkaba combines deep basslines with lush melodies, tribal percussion and a focus on an overall 'organic' sound. Prepare for a vibrational journey that connects the mind, heart, body, and dancefloor!

SANS GRAS
http://www.myspace.com/sansgrasmusic

We make psychedelic indie-rock. Born of the ashes of an arrogantly named solo project, Sans Gras have just finished recording our debut EP at Birdland studios. Insert bit here about how awesome we are live using words such as "frenetic" and "blistering". Shared stages with: The Fumes, Tom Ugly, Dead River Deeps, Electric Jellyfish, The Orphanage, Cuba is Japan, The Black Hill Five. Film clip for first single "Wild Wind" on the way. See you at Ostara Festival.

GEAMALA
http://www.myspace.com/geamala

Geamala are a world music group unlike any other, combining elements of many genres, ranging from atmospheric, eastern, arabic, tribal, electro-acoustic and trance maintaining a profoundly spiritual focus. These elements are boldly woven together exploring new angles of traditional music to create mesmerizing timeless soundscapes and powerful hypnotic rhythms that leave audiences in a state of enlivened connectedness.

Having such an eclectic sound, Geamala have taken a leaf from many books, these main influences would include but are not limited to, Dead Can Dance, The Tea Party, Secret Chiefs 3, Rodruigo y Gabriella, Taikoz and Riley Lee.

Geamala have had the joy of playing on some of Melbourne's finest stages including The Corner Hotel, The Espy Gershwyn Room and Front Bar, Northcote Social Club, The Evelyn, Ding Dong and many others. Geamala have also shared these stages with some of Melbourne's most respected acts including Mushroom Giant, Jericco, Sydonia, 12 Foot Ninja, Sleepmakeswaves, Sleep Parade and Dub the Magic Dragon.

In 2010 Geamala are seeking to expand their audience and are eagerly setting their sites on performing on the vibrant festival circuit. With the release of their upcoming debut album “Forking Paths” due out in mid 2010, Geamala are set to make their mark on the ever-growing Australian and International festival scene.

SPYNDRIFT
http://www.myspace.com/spyndrift

Situated along one of the most stunning coastlines of Southern Victoria is Spyndrift a lively band with a lot to offer!!

The Music: is raw, grungy, bouncy, frisky, sassy and sweet. Reggae ska inspired combined with rockin fine licks, catchy lyrics and a down to earth message.

The Show: VIBRANT, BURLESQUE, EXPLOSIVE, CAPTIVATING THEATRICAL & MEMORABLE.

Band members Elle, Hoya and Merin have performed in numerous musical outfits together and separately for over two decades. They also have a depth of experience and skills in theatre, children's pantomimes, workshops, puppetry and dance. In 2004 Merin reunited and Richard, an experienced and seasoned musician joined and together, Spyndrift was born. With a plethora of songs under their belt their self produced album ‘Sound Swell’ was recorded 2006-07. Since then the music has undergone a steady metamorphous from laidback groove to a dynamic and highly energetic show. Spyndrift were the 2010 winners of the Vic Hunt Memorial Music Award at Sleepy Hollow Blues Club in Geelong, with the prize money they will be recording their second EP in Melbourne.

Spyndrift have regular appearances and call backs to popular coastal music festivals and are continuing to wow and captivate new audiences wherever they go.

LOREN KATE
http://www.myspace.com/lorenkate

Enchantingly beautiful, down-to-earth and absolutely spellbinding, Loren Kate has cast a sublime and haunting web over audiences around the country with her unique and unforgettable sound and soul.
Having travelled and toured to most corners of Australia over the years, Loren has steadily forged a close relationship with her music and the land, having penned songs in just about every town from Fremantle to Byron Bay.

Her debut album, Brand New Shoes is a great milestone for the 25-year-old songwriter. Recorded over just 5 days at Soundmine Studio in Western Australia with producer Lee Buddle and 7 talented WA musicians, the album has the sound and feel of a highly crafted work of art, no doubt due to the amount of energy, enthusiasm and love put in during the time leading up to recording. The result is a beautifully dynamic, emotionally charged storybook of two or more years’ worth of joy, love, loss, gratitude, family, friends, travel and everything in between.

Over the last few years, Loren has travelled extensively around the country, taking her music from the deserts to the seas and back again. She has performed at countless venues and festivals around the country including Woodford Folk Festival (QLD), Peats Ridge Folk Festival (NSW), Fairbridge Festival (WA), Fleurieu Folk Festival (SA), Tamar Valley Folk Festival (Tas), Earthdance (WA), Alice Springs Desert Festival (NT), Oenpelli Open Day (NT), Go Organic Festival (SA) and was awarded most promising emerging artist at the Nannup Music Festival (WA).

Loren Kate has also shared the stage with such fine musicians as Tim Freedman (The Whitlams), Lior, iOTA, Epicure, Vika and Linda Bull (The Black Sorrows), and folk legend Eric Bogle.
In 2010, Loren is planning on releasing a new 5 track EP collaborating with acclaimed cellist, Mel Robinson (Tim Rogers, Missy Higgins).

Don’t miss her performance at Ostara Festival at it’s bound to move your heart and soul!
Last edited by SoulWhiteMan on Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ulyssian

Post by ulyssian »

Gotta Big Up Ya Boys Right::

Review and recording of The Backyard Job on soundpond.net :) :D :kooislayer.:

http://forum.soundpond.net/index.php?/t ... am-review/
Dubspiral

Post by Dubspiral »

Yeah the webcast says it all really.

Backyard Job.

:banghead:

We wanted to book these guys last year, but the decision was canned due to concerns that they might scare the audience.

This is no lie...

They will bring damage.
SoulWhiteMan

Post by SoulWhiteMan »

Prayer for Peace: Ostara Festival 2010.

This year the Earthdance Global Prayer for Peace falls on the Sunday morning at Ostara Festival. Ostara has been given the blessing by both Earthdance Melbourne and Earthdance Gippsland to take part in this special prayer, which was moved a week back by Earthdance International, letting it surprisingly fall on the weekend of Ostara. While unexpected, we are very excited for the opportunity to be a part of this special tradition. The prayer is simultaneously made with parties all over the world celebrating the global Earthdance festival, and is synced at an exact time (9:00am Sunday morning) through a song played at all the sites doing the prayer for peace. Ostara would like to extend it’s thanks and love to both Earthdance Melbourne and Gippsland, for it’s openness in letting Ostara hold a prayer for peace and be a part of this special Global celebration.
SoulWhiteMan

Post by SoulWhiteMan »

FIRST ROUND EARLY BIRDS NOW SOLD OUT

Limited Round Two tickets at $80 + bf now available until midnight 24th August. We will soon release details on outlet stores where they will be available for purchase if you are unable to get buy them online.

Thanks all.

Last edited by SoulWhiteMan on Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SoulWhiteMan

Post by SoulWhiteMan »

ADDED TO THE LINE UP ................

CONTINUUM
http://www.myspace.com/continuumsound

Brothers Scott and Brent Miramz, share a focus on producing an originally inspired blend of progressive electronic sounds.
Inspired by influences ranging from Minimal, House, Techno, Dub, Reggae, Orchestral, Jazz and Progressive genres they are truly a reflection of their name and have established themselves a strong following within Australia and internationally, playing alongside many of Australia’s best local and international acts.

The Continuum boys have finely tuned their live set to incorporate new and fresh production techniques and sounds, transmitting unpredictable soundwaves of joy to the masses, the show being an auditory and visual experience, seamlessly dissolving between minimal organic melodies and industrial techno soundscapes with jazzy vocal bleeps squeaks and stabs that is sure to get any dancefloor frenzied, and does! They have played at some of Australia’s most recognized festivals including: Rainbow Serpent festival, Earthdance (Melbourne & NSW), Maya festival, Cairns Winter Solstice (FNQ) Ostara Festival, and Subsonic Music Festival (NSW) also appearing regularly at club nights LAB, Slap, Tickled Pink and many other party's they can't quite remember... The brothers have so far worked with Antix/Fiord, Daniel Dreier (Highgrade), Anard le Texier (Safari Electronqe), Jamie Stevens (Infusion), Shades of Grey (Beef records) and Solead.

Continuum’s clean blend of funky, psychedelic-tech sound is continuing to impress punters at home and abroad with release’s on Moonbeam’s Disoma records, Finnish based label Planetaria records, France’s BUS records and home grown labels: Beef records, Subsonic music and Chameleon records available through Beatport.com and all good digital download stores.
Dubspiral

Post by Dubspiral »

Continuum?

Man, do the MB massive even know these lads?

Why don't you just let the cat out of the bag and announce Pendulum are doing an exclusive UNRELEASED EMO set for Saturday sundown...

Just kidding it's OK...

BACKYARD JOB
ulyssian

Post by ulyssian »

Oh Dubspiral... they used to have a singer that would scare the dreads off a hippie a while back.. now they are way more 'mellow' :smt002

This spyndrift sound interesting... Continuum & Cheeky was good but better outside at Rainbow.
Friday night be stomping night... hoping volunteer duties are not on then.

Which on that note... think there is still a call out for voluteerism :) Good way if ya a bit povo to get that side of things covered I think...
We might reinstate the Facebook carpool page so people can link up again, think last year it worked out well for a few!

Wonder where though SWM??? :D
Dubspiral

Post by Dubspiral »

Call out for volunteers:

Yeah bro, Spyndrift are really great. They played at Ostara's very first humble little festival gathering and now they're back armed with some seriously skankable Gypsy Dub Funk. Not to be missed.

VOLUNTEERS OTHER THAN GATE: [email protected]

GATE VOLUNTEERS: [email protected].

There ya go but be quick because as far as I know the Gate is almost finished.

Dunno what else Kate's got on offer but I know the gate pretty much sorted. At least for Friday anyway.
SoulWhiteMan

Post by SoulWhiteMan »

Hi everyone,

Just letting you all know that as from today Round Two tickets at $80 + bf now available at Ministry of Style (Brunswick Street) and Happy High Herbs (Smith Street) until 24th of August and then we cross over to final round tickets at $100 + bf. Tickets will also be made available and Alley Tunes (Hawthorn) and Peril Underground (City) as from tomorrow. More details on other outlets to be notified shortly!

One again, Round Two will only be made available until 24th August then we cross over to Round Three at $100 each.

Thanks everyone!
SoulWhiteMan

Post by SoulWhiteMan »

OSTARA TICKETS NOW ALSO AVAILABLE AT ALLEY TUNES (660A Glenferrie Rd Hawthorn) AND PERIL UNDERGROUND (Basement, 17-19 Elizabeth St Melbourne)
Calvs

Post by Calvs »

CANT FKN WAIT! But when will we know the full line up..???
Dubspiral

Post by Dubspiral »

I wish we could release the full lineup because it just got 100% confirmed this morning.

All will be revealed in the coming weeks.

For now, all we can tell you is this...

------------------------------------------------

Friday 17th / Saturday 18th

Solar Stage
* Bands from about 5:00pm until 9:30pm
* Electronica (predominantly Dubstep/D&B) from 9:30pm until 3:00am

Saturday 18th / Sunday 19th

Solar Stage
* Bands from 10:00am until 10:00pm
* Electronica from 10:00pm until 10:00pm Sunday

Lunar Stage
* Open Mic from about noon until about 4:30pm
* Bands from about 6:00pm until about 12:30am
* Electronica from about 12:30am until 10:00am Sunday

Friday night will turn into a fairly bass-heavy party, but it's an early night because Saturday / Sunday is huge.

There will be plenty of wobbly goodness throughout the whole weekend. Breakbeats, Dubstep, Chillstep... all sorts of stuff.

The majority of the music will have been written by those performing it. Out of 55 acts, only 13 are 'Djs' and some of them write most of their material anyway. I don't want to harp *too* much but it's going to be one big massive huge stompin' slicked-out mindbend of a sonically synthesized wormhole designed by mad unqualified scientists as tribute to the joy of playing with sound.

:joy:
manofunreal

Post by manofunreal »

Sounds pretty friggin' sweet
SoulWhiteMan

Post by SoulWhiteMan »

ONE OF MANY ANNOUNCEMENTS COMIN' ATCHA'S!!!

MOLLUSK (Omelette Records)
http://www.myspace.com/themolluskband

Australian based Omelette Records is once again rolling out the red carpet, this time for The Mollusk (aka Shane Vigo) with his Debut EP Sea Food. This release is sure to take you on a jovial journey, manufactured for the wonkiest of celebrations & pool parties alike.

Sea Food's idiosyncratic sound will have you questioning where reality ends and the land of milk and honey begins. The Mollusk formula brings together ageless classic sounds with a glitchy, fat, sloppy mid range and rolling bass that has the crowd twirling, playing, spinning and toppling over.

"Breaking convention" is the Mollusk's middle name, with his constant array of inventive ways of coming up with new sounds. These include recordings of a spray can underwater, circuit bending toys and wet towels thrown at a brick wall, among hundreds of other hair brain & fun ideas to create sound art. After recording these sounds, a select few are re-worked in the studio to become a bass line, synthesis, percussion and other quirky re-creations.

The Sea Food project is a soup of field recordings, live guitar, bass, synthesizers and countless recordings from studios around the world. The resulting recipe is a combination of flavors from downtempo, electronica, folktronica, glitch-hop, left-field hip hop, brokenbeat, jazz groove, funk, disco, dubstep and more. but that said ,The Mollusk's cutting edge style has such a distinctive sound design that most people find it impossible to relate to anything they have heard before.

The Mollusk started back in 2007 as a solo project, and has been to every state of Australia on his sonic journey. He has played at festivals such as Renaissance Festival, Rainbow Serpent and Winter Solstice. Shane has had the opportunity to play with some of his favorite artists such as Bluetech, Bassnectar and Vibesquad to name a few.

AUTONOMECH (Zenon Records)
http://www.myspace.com/autonomechzenon

One of Zenon’s most talented and original artists, Autonomech has spent the past few years developing his own unique approach to Psychedelic music. While staying completely on par with the classic Zenon sound, his music is also somewhat more of a spacious sound collage of organic fx and creative synthesis.

RHYTHMIK (Morning Monster Records)
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmik24

Rhythmik is the sound project of Michael Scarlett, a 25 year old from a cosy little house in Northcote.

With 10 years exposure to electronic sounds, he has developed a very particular ear for what he likes, and will always follow this over trends, formulas or what his Mum says is kicking.

His shows involve live drum machine and synth work, and cross a range of styles, emotions and tempos, quite often within the one track!

The sounds are grunty, funky, melodic, bouncy, quirky and sexual....... oh so sexual.

If you are a bit sick of the same old and want something different, come check out Rhythmik for a funked up fun boogie!

SELWA
http://www.myspace.com/selwasound

Selwa - {a tibetan term meaning luminosity and clarity or bright, clear and awake} is the project of Melbourne based Dj and Producer Ryan Lautenbacher. Combining musical movements such as Dub Step, IDM, Dub Tech, Ambient Electronica, Glitch and Depth Step with a Tribal/Spiritual ethos, the Selwa sound aims to illuminate the integral connection between the earthly organic world and the cosmic realms. With both dance floor and ambient atmospheric sensibilities, the music is open to a variety of interpretations. Having played all over Australia at many of this country's largest outdoor electronic music festivals and a stack of events in and around Melbourne city over the past 3 years, you will be sure to see more Selwa sets over the 09/10 Australian summer and beyond.

ANNA CE (Somatica Productions)
http://www.myspace.com/anna_ce

Anna Ce will be gracing the stage with a selection of ridiculously funky + quirky techno .Playing recent main floor sets at Tweaky Beats, Somatica, Earth Freq, Japan Solstice and Arcadia in France, she is no stranger to rocking the absolute shit out of a party!

POLYMORPH
http://www.reverbnation.com/polymorph

Catalyzed in the deep forests of Victoria, Polymorph is the latest project of Melbourne based producer, Gav Seed. An eclectic psychedelic blend of progressive and melodic deep tech grooves. With an intense period of studio work currently in high gear, expect a large number of new releases to be landing on a dance floor near you.

DYSPHEMIC
http://www.myspace.com/dysphemic
http://www.dysphemic.com/

Dysphemic’s obsession with electronic music began at the age of 10 when he experimented with Sound Tracker 2 on his family's Amiga Commodore computer.

At 13 he was given a drum kit and for the next few years played heavily in various bands. Heavily interested in the drum programming of Jungle, at age15, he produced his first 60 minute album which consisted mainly of old school Jungle. Later becoming influenced from Gabber and Hardcore Techno, at age 17 he independently released his 2nd album, with a more hardcore sound entitled “decapitation.
By the age of 19 Dysphemic released a 12”vinyl split with world renowned speedcore artist “passenger of shit” through the Pain Free Found Sound Institute record label.

Dysphemic also around this time was a member of the speed core crew-Hazelbrook Terror Squadron.

Dysphemic completed a 60 min CD compromising of work from 2002-2007 entitled Corporate Warfare which was independently released and distributed worldwide through Sound Base Germany. This CD focused on complex breakbeat programming with tracks ranging from 200 to 240bpm.

In early 2008, Dysphemic put out a limited release cd called Fire Bomb in 2008, which was a return to his drum and bass and jungle roots.

KALYA SCINTILLA
http://www.myspace.com/kalyascintilla

Dripping thick molasses over a tabla, a journey through an enchanted forest, the soundtrack to an epic dreamscape. Kalya Scintilla takes influence from the middle Eastern, Gypsy, and tribal realms and intertwines them over chunky and intricate dancefloor friendly beats, with an overall focus on intention.

INTERVAL (Byron, NSW)
http://www.myspace.com/jonnycoates

Interval can be found supplying deep tunes to the sonic pallet across the local airwaves in Northern New South Wales and South East Queensland, and blasting out the sub frequencys in person at bass-central odyssey's. Constantly searching through a myriad of sounds Interval has found his current resting place within the dubstep genre, with its bass churning fundamentals an obvious drawing point. His extremely varied musical influence has seen Interval mould a left-of-field sonic journey in his electronic compositions, the final result lends to an original and stylistically distinct fusion of dub inspired, techno driven escapism into the subtleties of sound. In his live show's expect anything from the deep and thoughtful fringes, to the nastiest chest rattling dubstep.

BANDS ..............

El Moth & The Turbo Rads
http://www.myspace.com/elmothandtheturborads

Spawned after a few too many three a.m. jams in lounge rooms, parks, and warehouses around Melbourne, El Moth & The Turbo Rads are a group of six musicians who create an infectious fusion of reggae/dub, funk, and punk jams.
Since the creation of the band, these boys have been gigging heavily and creating quite a name around the Melbourne live music scene. El Moth’s true-to-life lyrics combined with the dance-able jams from The Turbo Rads have been heard at festivals around Australia, including Folk, Rhythm & Life; High Vibes; Maitreya, and Ostara Festival(s).

Currently in the studio laying down some new tracks, El Moth & The Turbo Rads have been rocking Fitzroy during their Monday night residency at The Evelyn in 2010, keeping the dance floor moving and enticing fans to come back for more.

PATAPHYSICS
http://www.myspace.com/brotherpataphysics

Evolutionary Poet/ Subversive theorist. MC. Beat Maker.

Mercury prize Winning Song Writer (Speech Debelle2009). Has written and produced for local and international labels including Ninja Tune, 299 (Russia), Soulmate. Multi-Instrumentalist, all ways in demand for his signature Trumpet/Flugel style.

Played all over Australia, has performed along side artists such as : Dead Prez (US), Poirier (Ninja Tune), Batucada Sound Machine (NZ) , M-Phazes, Diafrix, Mista Savona, Joelistics (TZU), 360 and Pez (Forthwrite), LABJACD, Curse ov Dialect, Phinesse, The Melodics, Barons of Tang, Pablo Discobar, Rapskallion, Laneous and the Family yah among others..

Recently undertook a National tour with Olmecha Supreme (NZ) and performed this year opening night at the Sydney Festival 2010.

Has played a host of festivals around the country, highlights including: Opening night at the Adelaide Fringe Festival in front of 20,000 and NYE at Falls Festival 2008.

An accomplished artist, who gained the #1 position Triple J’s Unearthed 2 weeks in a row '09. Also the back to back winner of The Uber Lingua Intercontinental Multilingual MC cipher 2007.

DUB THE MAGIC DRAGON
http://www.myspace.com/dubthemagicdragon

Dub the Magic Dragon are a 4 piece band based in Melbourne, Australia. They combine Eastern Traditional music with African Latin rhythms and Western / sensibilities to create an orgasmic listening experience. The focal point of Sitar leading the tantric sounds of Dub/DnB/DubStep produces a moveable, hypnotic and sexy sound.

Often incorporating live circus and acrobatic acts, a typical show consisted of Sitar, Guitar, Drums, Bass, Percussion, Vocals, Horn section, Accordion, MC’s and Belly Dancers and has been described as “The best rave music you’ll ever hear except played on real instruments and totally live!” With this energy a second album, "KAMA SUTRA”, was produced in early 2008. It is available at a dozen inner Melbourne stores.

With gained support from Don Steele, CEO of Vinyl Pusher Records, DTMD will release the new EP and album globally and exclusively through Vinyl Pusher.

The band aim their music at those who love a new, different and rich sound and want a real experience at a gig. It’s Ravi Shankar meets The Chemical Brothers, Bob Marley meets DJ Shadow!

It’s high energy Dub/DnB/Dubstep like you’ve never heard!

THE FROWNING CLOUDS
http://www.myspace.com/thefrowningclouds

On the evening of the 7th day The Frowning Clouds came out to play. The five halflings have quite the obsession with the rhythm & blues of old and were summoned from the misty depths of the jungles of Kaonga by king BoBo to show this music to inhabitants of the land of Norm.

Primarily about Jangley textures, wild rhythms, throbin’ beats and wishful thinking instead of elongated guitar solos and ponytales, we prefer to show what you can achieve as a sect rather than an individual of the group getting the spotlight, and dont say that shits quaint cause it ain't!

PLANET JUMPER
http://www.myspace.com/fordandschapper

Planet Jumper aka Ford and Schapper's sound combines the various and varied interests the two of them possess to create dance music that everyone can shake to. Fusing low slung disco, breaks, hip hop, house, rock, trance and of course funk, the music is a highly percussive, groove based sound that moves between tempos, while always having one eye on the dance floor. Planet Jumper's live show which is often supported by the metronomic Richard Kelly and takes in a range of production from collaborators Henry Banks, Ash Mortimer and Ed Lane, is a furious live remix - mash of 40+ original compositions that changes quickly, but always ensures that the focus of the music is on the groove.

Formed out of a shared love of mid to late 70’s and early 80’s funk, disco and boogie (Paliament Funkadelic, Zapp, Locksmith, The Bar Kays, Fatback Band etc), Ford and Schapper started writing together in 2005 after talking about it through many a useless afternoon. Once they got going, they decided that no amount of rudeness was too rude. They write rude tunes, for rude people who like to party and dance.

Both musicians/artists outside the group: Drew Schapper plays drums in the engaging psych/classical rock band “Artist Proof”, while Steve Ford has DJ’d all over Melbourne, regularly dropping his own production and edits, as well as the sounds of Planet Jumper in his sets. Combining twisted basslines, eclectic samples and live drums and percussion, Planet Jumper’s unashamedly sticky sound guarantee’s get down in all the right ways and areas.

THE GOOD SUNS
http://www.myspace.com/ingreatergood

Good Suns are a recently formed 4 piece roots band. Singer and guitarist John Goodall is a songwriter,vocalist and multi-instrumentalist originally hailing from the Canberra blues scene via Melbourne. His roots are steeped in passionate guitar melodies via barefoot tribal life off the grid and on the pulse in the city of music; the bones for these songs created around many a campfire since arriving in Victoria in 2001. Piano player "Reckless" Charlie Williams is a talented Sydney import holding the rhythm section together with special soul. Al Mason is an all round beacon of light and animal on the kit. Ty Wood rounds it off with a smile behind his arsenal of basses, keeping your feet movin and your booty groovin...... Live, they are a mix up of folk funk groove, sick blues slide, progstomp-jazz and eastern raga.

SOUL TRIP
http://www.myspace.com/soultripcrew

Soultrip consists of a core group of musicians:

Renegade Rhythmatist Jimi,
Percussionist Genie,
Spanish guitarist Aidan,
Funk bassist Charlie,
Psychadelic Electric Guitarist Guisepe,
Dynamic MC James,
Chimerical vocalist Diantha,
DJ Twisty,

... And the happenstance additions of amazing guest musicians and friends...

Melding into distinct warm blends of anything from hypnotic Funk and psychedelic Dub to Trip Hop and even Folk.

Ummm, quite a few more coming ..................
quick

Post by quick »

I didn't know any names for the first 3 rainbow serpents... and that festival has become the one music event i never want to miss, been 7 years in a row, but sadly missed this year cos i was in colombia. Because i just decided to give it a go because it was music in the bush and some friends were going, i have found a huge new love in my life, been doin these fests in Europe now, best scene ever!!!

knowing the artists isn't important, knowing the party will be sick, is obvious...
:wink:
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
Charlie73
Location: Somewhere between South @ North.... Melbourne that is

Post by Charlie73 »

quick wrote:
I didn't know any names for the first 3 rainbow serpents... and that festival has become the one music event i never want to miss, been 7 years in a row, but sadly missed this year cos i was in colombia. Because i just decided to give it a go because it was music in the bush and some friends were going, i have found a huge new love in my life, been doin these fests in Europe now, best scene ever!!!

knowing the artists isn't important, knowing the party will be sick, is obvious...
:wink:
WORD!

I am pretty keen on this TBH... just not sure can take the time off for a few days afterwards tho...

COME ON RAINBOW HURRY UP ALREADY! heehee

we are getting a van this year and going all out! after Rainbow mission down the coast till the Friday afters.. :joy:
SoulWhiteMan

Post by SoulWhiteMan »

Just a reminder to everyone that Second Round tickets currently selling at $80 +bf ends after tomorrow. Online ends midnight tomorrow via http://www.greentix.com.au. From Thursday we cross over to final round which will be selling at $100 +bf ($120 at the gate).

You can purchase tickets at the following outlets:

Ministry of Style (Brunswick St, Fitzroy)
Happy High Herbs (Smith St, Collingwood)
Peril Underground (Swanston St, Melbourne CBD)
Alley Tunes (Glenferrie Road, Hawthorn)
manofunreal

Post by manofunreal »

Getting sent on an all expenses paid trip = AWESOME

Getting sent on said trip, departing 8am on the Sunday morning of Ostara = FAIL :smt005

Have fun peeps
Dubspiral

Post by Dubspiral »

Stomping Friday night bass to the Backyard Job at Ostara (petrol, ticket, food and drinks) = $250

Singapore Airlines turning into the yellow submarine shortly after 8am Sunday takeoff = priceless
manofunreal

Post by manofunreal »

:lol: okay well maybe I could be convinced...
SoulWhiteMan

Post by SoulWhiteMan »

FINAL ROUND tickets currently available now $100+bf.

Outlets: Ministry of Style (Brunswick St, Fitzroy),
Happy High Herbs (Smith St, Collingwood),
Peril Underground (Swanston St, City)
and Alley Tunes (Glenferrie Road, Hawthorn).

Or online: http://greentix.com.au/events/118063

Last chance to get cheap round tickets or pay $120 at the gate!

See you in a few weeks!!!

FINAL ARTISTS ANNOUNCEMENTS IN THE NEXT FEW DAYS!!!

DIRECTIONS A WEEK BEFORE THE EVENT: 2 HOURS NW OF MELBOURNE / PYRENEES SHIRE DISTRICT
kiss & tell

Post by kiss & tell »

anyone good playing at this?!?
Calvs

Post by Calvs »

NOT A SINGLE GOOD ACT AT ALL...

***sarcasm***
kiss & tell

Post by kiss & tell »

its way too long to read but is it all just that horrible doof music?
SoulWhiteMan

Post by SoulWhiteMan »

kiss & tell wrote:its way too long to read but is it all just that horrible doof music?
NO

It's an outdoor music festival, not a 'doof'

Check out some friends of mine, Planet Jumper for example:

http://www.myspace.com/fordandschapper

They recently released a tune on Agent 86's label and have been sought after by Theo Parrish's label.

I've taken the liberty of cutting snippets from the artist bios and creating the following paragraph to give you an idea:

The band aim their music at those who love a new, different and rich sound and want a real experience at a gig. It’s Ravi Shankar meets The Chemical Brothers, Bob Marley meets DJ Shadow!

It’s high energy Dub/DnB/Dubstep like you’ve never heard!

Primarily about Jangley textures, wild rhythms, throbin’ beats and wishful thinking instead of elongated guitar solos and ponytales…

…who create an infectious fusion of reggae/dub, funk, and punk jams.

Interval has found his current resting place within the dubstep genre, with its bass churning fundamentals an obvious drawing point…

…takes influence from the middle Eastern, Gypsy, and tribal realms and intertwines them over chunky and intricate dancefloor friendly beats, with an overall focus on intention…

…early 2008 was a return to his drum and bass and jungle roots.

An eclectic psychedelic blend of progressive and melodic deep tech grooves with a selection of ridiculously funky + quirky techno .

The resulting recipe is a combination of flavors from downtempo, electronica, folktronica, glitch-hop, left-field hip hop, brokenbeat, jazz groove, funk, disco, dubstep and more.
Last edited by SoulWhiteMan on Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dubspiral

Post by Dubspiral »

Well if you're going to be like that Kiss & Tell...

He're pretty much a full breakdown of the entire lineup....

-----------------------------------------

Live Bands, solo acoustic musicians and all sorts ranging from Dub, Hip Hop, Psych Rock, Blue & Roots, Funk......

Svelt
Sans Gras
Pataphysics
The Frowning Clouds
Dub the Magic Dragon
Spyndrift
El Moth
Emu
Geamala
Tim McMillan Band
Loren Kate
The Good Suns
Sarah Standish
Alias and the Jams
Yelka
Soul Trip
Cambrian Party
Planet Jumper
Al Mustapha Al Shahid
Coen Dixon

--------------------------------------

Dubstep, experimental low-end music, Drum & Bass, Chillstep, electronic dubbiness...........

Sun in Aquarius
The Backyard Job
Dysphemic
Deadlock (UK)
Shredder vs. Baron Von Rotten
Bass Bin Laden
Flippo
Selwa
Lub Dub
Kalya Scintilla
Desiseq
Interval
D-Rektional
Vibraphonic Orkestra
JDub

Glitchy, wobbly, doofy, breaksy, all sorts of stuff.....

Mr. Bill
Mollusk
Goosebumpz
Circuit Bent
Terminal Dysfunktion
Rhythmik
Ruff Stuff
Azlan

This may all clasify to some ass that 'horrible doofy stuff' but there truly are some amazing varieties of it in here...

Autonomech
Merkaba
Jigsaw
Continuum
Polymorph
Closer Apart
Anna Ce
The Loom
Xen Ochren
Psyanyd
Morphington

'they're all good sweetheart'
kiss & tell

Post by kiss & tell »

thanks guys, that was way less convoluted then scrolling through endless text.

can't make it anyway but not a bad lineup of local acts.
Rhythmik

Post by Rhythmik »

Nice work on the diversity, even more so this year!

Gonna be rad! :joy:

Good to see some quality interstaters like Goosebumpz and Sun In Awarius on the bill too :-)