DJ Fresh "Future Jungle"

This is the forum for all things Melbourne beats. Post your gigs and other Melbourne music related information here. Keep it about the music and music only, please keep on topic.
Cubist

DJ Fresh "Future Jungle"

Post by Cubist »

Cubist

Re: Future Jungle

Post by Cubist »

Yeah man. They're sick. ;-)
enigneyratorelknaw

Post by enigneyratorelknaw »

Bass Cannon :tard:
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

If by "best tunes for years" you mean "lazily throwing together old samples to create disposable gash that's been done a million times before", then yes, I completely agree.
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

i kinda like the beats. but the rest is a bit hmmm. would go off in the rave tho im sure.
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
Cubist

Post by Cubist »

I love the switch ups. Here's another one. Not into this one as much.

Watch the posted video on YouTube.

Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Cubist wrote:I love the switch ups. Here's another one. Not into this one as much.

There are some nicer vibes on this one. I don't think it will herald the second coming of hardcore though.
nic

Post by nic »

isnt this fast tearout breaks from a few years back lol?
aroes

Post by aroes »

promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

me like. what tempo is that, 150bpm?

sounds like old skool hardcore with up to date production and that can only be a good thing.
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

That flashback mashup is appalling.
Don't hate me for house
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

youthful_implants wrote:me like. what tempo is that, 150bpm?

sounds like old skool hardcore with up to date production and that can only be a good thing.
the main sample from "arkanoid" is from "djs take control": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJr8-xZo40I#t=0h0m33s

always glad to hear old tunes, but lazy production tbh.
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
JAMESSSS

Re: DJ Fresh "Future Jungle"

Post by JAMESSSS »

And it has also been used by Fresh years ago at varying speeds in Flashback and Miami Flashback.

Kinda feels a bit like get on the gear and drop samples from your a++ folder till your mate Big Kev looses his shit and says it's a gwarning inside the ride --> all rudebwoy mus big up.
Don't hate me for house
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

He also used a sample from one of those tracks in another one of his own tunes that was released only months ago. Lazy as fark.

EDIT: to clarify, Ice Cream uses the same sample used in Cylon (which was actually a pretty bangin tune)
Last edited by Hardy on Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
youthful_implants

Well IMO dancefloor DnB has become a pretty hackneyed and well-rinsed formula in 2011 and Fresh is just trying to mix things up a bit.

I mean dropping the tempo, using old samples and harking back to a vibe (jungle) which has been very much lost is pretty risky if you ask me but someone like Fresh, who is a studio don IMO, has the skills to do it. The fact that these are coming on RAM which was never really a jungle label but always very DnB focused speaks volumes about where Andy's heads at right now as well.

I dont think the production is lazy in the slightest, its just a different approach. People use samples to breathe familiarity into music, which is why he's using ones which people will recognise. People will know its a Fresh tune. And its also blurring the boundaries between DnB, Dubstep and Breaks. Its just rave music at the end of the day and doesn't require intellectualisation despite my attempt to anyway haha.

This is close to what Skream has been on lately so I think there is a massive crossing over of scenes gwanen. A breath of fresh air tbh.
Strontium Music

system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

youthful_implants wrote:Well IMO dancefloor DnB has become a pretty hackneyed and well-rinsed formula in 2011 and Fresh is just trying to mix things up a bit.
which i totally agree with.
youthful_implants wrote:The fact that these are coming on RAM which was never really a jungle label but always very DnB focused speaks volumes about where Andy's heads at right now as well.
a specious comment imo. ram was one of the bridges between 'jungle' and 'drum and bass' back in the period ~1992 - '97. you can't dismiss tunes like 'valley of the shadows', 'predator', 'sound control', '6 million ways to die', etc etc just because of the last 5 or so years of popularist tosh that have been released.
youthful_implants wrote:I dont think the production is lazy in the slightest, its just a different approach. People use samples to breathe familiarity into music, which is why he's using ones which people will recognise. People will know its a Fresh tune. And its also blurring the boundaries between DnB, Dubstep and Breaks. Its just rave music. I am so bored of clinical, abstract music being played at raves. Kids love rave, doesn't matter how you dress it up. They don't like pseudo-intellectualised musical noodling, save that for your sofa innit.

This is close to what Skream has been on lately so I think there is a massive crossing over of scenes gwanen. A breath of fresh air tbh.
if it actually promotes new and varied production, excellent. i think it'll just encourage a bunch of bad 'remixes' of classic tunes masquerading as 'new' music.

there's a line between "we are i.e." and "trip to trumpton".
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

I really like these discussions, it's always interesting to see differences in views between someone who actually produces music for a living and people who just love music.
Don't hate me for house
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

youthful_implants wrote:Well IMO dancefloor DnB has become a pretty hackneyed and well-rinsed formula in 2011 and Fresh is just trying to mix things up a bit.

I mean dropping the tempo, using old samples and harking back to a vibe (jungle) which has been very much lost is pretty risky if you ask me but someone like Fresh, who is a studio don IMO, has the skills to do it. The fact that these are coming on RAM which was never really a jungle label but always very DnB focused speaks volumes about where Andy's heads at right now as well.

I dont think the production is lazy in the slightest, its just a different approach. People use samples to breathe familiarity into music, which is why he's using ones which people will recognise. People will know its a Fresh tune. And its also blurring the boundaries between DnB, Dubstep and Breaks. Its just rave music at the end of the day and doesn't require intellectualisation despite my attempt to anyway haha.

I don't think anyone is doubting his production skills, I agree he IS a don in the studio. That's maybe why I think his use of these samples is lazy.

I'd also like to point out that i'm old, cranky, and trying to quit smoking.
youthful_implants

system wrote:
which i totally agree with.
youthful_implants wrote:The fact that these are coming on RAM which was never really a jungle label but always very DnB focused speaks volumes about where Andy's heads at right now as well.
a specious comment imo. ram was one of the bridges between 'jungle' and 'drum and bass' back in the period ~1992 - '97. you can't dismiss tunes like 'valley of the shadows', 'predator', 'sound control', '6 million ways to die', etc etc just because of the last 5 or so years of popularist tosh that have been released.
youthful_implants wrote:I dont think the production is lazy in the slightest, its just a different approach. People use samples to breathe familiarity into music, which is why he's using ones which people will recognise. People will know its a Fresh tune. And its also blurring the boundaries between DnB, Dubstep and Breaks. Its just rave music. I am so bored of clinical, abstract music being played at raves. Kids love rave, doesn't matter how you dress it up. They don't like pseudo-intellectualised musical noodling, save that for your sofa innit.

if it actually promotes new and varied production, excellent. i think it'll just encourage a bunch of bad 'remixes' of classic tunes masquerading as 'new' music.

there's a line between "we are i.e." and "trip to trumpton".
IMO Ram personify the transition from Jungle to what became better known as DnB. Of course tunes like Valley of The Shadows etc got played (still get played) at every jungle rave going, but that doesn't really make em jungle music. RAM's musical identity from the get go has been firmly rooted in forward-thinking, science-fiction influenced concepts and sounds. Thats not really what Jungle means to me but I'd have to say its pretty open to interpretation.

Definitely agree that everyone's threshold for what constitutes cheese is different. I'm not afraid of music which is cheesy at all, and you can't deny that it sells well. Its also attracts a broader audience. Magnetic Man being a good case in point. Hardcore was often cheesy back in the day and these tracks manage to combine a pretty healthy contrast of hands in the air energy and filthy bass and Fresh has been churning out some very anthemic and commercial-sounding music of late. Quite different to these in fact (heard Gold Dust?) and very different to the music he was making in 2000 say, which was strictly underground shiznit.

How commercial is this tune? Its pop music! (7 million views, KERCHING)

Strontium Music

system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

JAMESSSS wrote:I really like these discussions, it's always interesting to see differences in views between someone who actually produces music for a living and people who just love music.
very true. i have little in the way of pragmatism when it comes to music, but i've never made a living off it.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

youthful_implants wrote:IMO Ram personify the transition from Jungle to what became better known as DnB. Of course tunes like Valley of The Shadows etc got played (still get played) at every jungle rave going, but that doesn't really make em jungle music. RAM's musical identity from the get go has been firmly rooted in forward-thinking, science-fiction influenced concepts and sounds. Thats not really what Jungle means to me but I'd have to say its pretty open to interpretation.
fair enough. tbh i don't make any real distinction between them as genres - it's just a label that gets put on the time period or amount of ragga samples. ram is as much about jungle to me as kemet or reinforced.
youthful_implants

system wrote:
JAMESSSS wrote:I really like these discussions, it's always interesting to see differences in views between someone who actually produces music for a living and people who just love music.
very true. i have little in the way of pragmatism when it comes to music, but i've never made a living off it.
well that makes two of us. :lol:
Strontium Music

system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

:teefnilly:

fair play.
Cubist

Post by Cubist »

I remember listening to Bailey interview DJ Die about 5-6 years ago. Bailey said something like "I notice on your myspace you have that you write Jungle" and Die said something like "yeah".

Apparently Die and Fresh are going to be doing a 'Future Jungle' colab. I can't wait for that. Will be Funkeeeee!
aroes

Post by aroes »

Cubist wrote: "I notice on your myspace you have that you write Jungle" and Die said something like "yeah".
lol
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

If it was something like yeah, was it "yes"... or maybe "yep"? ;)
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

youthful_implants wrote:I dont get Boddika at all.. it sounds exactly like old skool warehouse rave did in the 1990's. (think Harthouse, or Rising High records)
:smt102
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
spiral

Post by spiral »

youthful_implants

fooishbar wrote:

youthful_implants wrote:I dont get Boddika at all.. it sounds exactly like old skool warehouse rave did in the 1990's. (think Harthouse, or Rising High records)
:smt102
I see what you did there. Yeah maybe I just dont dig acid house as much as I used to.
Strontium Music

aroes

Post by aroes »

When I heard the intro to Circles I was about to call rape, but then the drop came and I was suitably impressed

This IMO is an example of tastefuly re-jigging jungle for the modern masses

The Fresh stuff at the top of the page is utter bum
Cubist

Post by Cubist »

Eeew. Not at all into that Adam F defacement. :smt078
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

aroes wrote:The Fresh stuff at the top of the page is utter bum
Actual LOL!
Fents

Post by Fents »

its like they took cirlcles and removed all the amens! horrible.
killeye

Post by killeye »

Cubist wrote:Eeew. Not at all into that Adam F defacement. :smt078
Wonder what Bob James thinks of it?? :wink:

(Clicky)
"That's my desire, keep pushing, keep striving"

killeye myspace
Cubist

Post by Cubist »

killeye wrote:

(Clicky)
Good Point ;-)
Zero Hour

Post by Zero Hour »

killeye wrote:

(Clicky)
Terrible. :smt005
enigneyratorelknaw

Post by enigneyratorelknaw »

Cubist wrote:I remember listening to Bailey interview DJ Die about 5-6 years ago. Bailey said something like "I notice on your myspace you have that you write Jungle" and Die said something like "yeah".

Apparently Die and Fresh are going to be doing a 'Future Jungle' colab. I can't wait for that. Will be Funkeeeee!
Guessin it will be the same old loud over compressed grindfest that dnb has been overproducing for too long now. But if either of them can actually make a banging modern organic jungle sound without it sounding like chopped up dnb then i will be impressed.
Heres guessin theres a bass cannon remix on the LP :changingteam:
I have alot of respect for them as producers just the ideas and sound they aim for don't excite me much
Adam F is a whole other level

Anyway each to there own :retzielikes:
Cubist

Post by Cubist »

Heaps of sick tunes around atm! G Dub should never have stopped releasing on Propaganda. ;-)
Raider

Post by Raider »

Trying to decide what something is generally ruins something... In regards to jungle... It's like when you study something at school, and by the time the you're done studying it, you hate it and never wanna hear about it again...

I think people on here need to start enjoying music they like instead of sapping any last possible bit of fun out of music other people like...
Why did the elephant get lost in the jungle?
CAUSE THE JUNGLE IS MASSIVE!

http://facebook.com/RaiderDNB
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

no it isnt
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
youthful_implants

opinions are like onions, everyone needs them to make a good bolognese but they make you cry.
Strontium Music