Flying Lotus, Aphex Twin, sideshows???

This is the forum for all things Melbourne beats. Post your gigs and other Melbourne music related information here. Keep it about the music and music only, please keep on topic.
thfc

Flying Lotus, Aphex Twin, sideshows???

Post by thfc »

So Flying Lotus is coming for Sumadayze and Aphex for Future Music

Anyone know anything about possibility of side shows, do these festivals normaly have sideshows for their international artists?

Two of my favourite Electronic artists playing at two festivals i really don't wish to attend, if Aphex Twin isn't doing a side show it looks like i will be going to me first "Rave" in 12 years!
sPeCtRuM

Re: Flying Lotus, Aphex Twin, sideshows???

Post by sPeCtRuM »

Yeah pretty keen for a sideshow for both acts. Not heard anything as yet but hopefully it'll happen. Chemical Bros did a sideshow this year...so could be a possibility with an act like Aphex Twin.
cammo

Post by cammo »

unlikely, this major events get these acts that a popular but are so out of touch with the rest of the event. they want you to spend a fortune on a ticket just to see a couple of great acts.
no hope in hell that these acts will do a side show. trust me, see if i turn out to be wrong
thfc

Post by thfc »

i hope to god your wrong cammo. I may just bite the bullet and go to Future Music as i missed Aphex last time he was here

The only glimmer of hope is that as Spectrum said that Chemical Brothers did do a side show last year even though they played at Future Music

I am not so fussed about Fly Lo, (eventhough i seem to miss him everytime he is here) as he seems to like it here and i think will be back in the not too distant future
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

yeah shithouse that festivals put on acts you want to see but not at a festival huhu. i remember photek played two tribes like 7 years ago and it was bloody embarrassing. was playing to a room of about 15 people with no speakers working but his monitors spun around to face us. obvs never coming back after that.

aphex & luke vibert at POW before that was amazing.
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

i think the dates for future music (in other cities the nights either side of the melbourne gig I think) prove cammo right, aside from his general point

i didn't find the whole aphex experience intersting enough last time to warrant shelling out the bucks this time around
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

huge wrote:yeah shithouse that festivals put on acts you want to see but not at a festival huhu. i remember photek played two tribes like 7 years ago and it was bloody embarrassing. was playing to a room of about 15 people with no speakers working but his monitors spun around to face us. obvs never coming back after that.
I remember not going to that. It's fucked, really wanted to see him, but why would in that situation?

I think there is a slim hope of FL and AT sideshows. The festivals do have exclusivity clauses, but FL and AT aren't their big drawcards. Younger peeps have no idea who or what Aphex Twin is, and FL aint big in Australian mainstream dance circles.