SHINDIG @ WORKSHOP // FRI MARCH 30TH // FREE ENTRY!!!

This is the forum for all things Melbourne beats. Post your gigs and other Melbourne music related information here. Keep it about the music and music only, please keep on topic.
obliveus

SHINDIG @ WORKSHOP // FRI MARCH 30TH // FREE ENTRY!!!

Post by obliveus »

What’s the deal with nappies worn on heads of state?

Or tube tops stretched to the limit on buxom hermaphrodites with a penchant for Neil Diamond on crack?

Don’t even get us started on tofu yogurt!

Far from trying to ponder an answer to life’s little questions like these, we’ve decided to throw out anything resembling a plan of attack and grab some serious vinyl recordings of the funk, soul, breaks, hiphop, dancehall and pop variety and head down to a nice little CBD venue called Workshop.

When we say “we”, we’re talking about a bunch of geeky, musical sorts with an obvious over abundance of time and cash to spend on something that most people thought went out with British Knights High Tops and “Save Mandella” medallions. 4 party peeps who’ve chosen names that read like Heptune, The Alias, Snowie and Obliveus. Added together, that’s 750 years of dance floor reads and if our Maths is correct, you’ll be dancing your ass off!

To add, multiply and shake to this word problem, we’ve also invited down the freshest turntable duo in the land, aptly labeled The Scratch Foundation.

All in all Friday March 30th is going to be a fricken great night out, not just because of all mentioned so far, but also because Snowie turns the big 65 on the night. Yeah, it’s all Metamusal, fig cookies and green tea as the Snowman heads into peaceful old age with a birthday party fit for a king…or the Mayor of Melton, at least.

Shindig @ Workshop // Friday March 30th // Level 1 413-417 Elizabeth St, CBD (Enter through A Beckett) // FREE ENTRY // 9pm - LATE

CLICK HERE FOR MORE SHINDIG INFO
Last edited by obliveus on Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Snowie

Post by Snowie »

BRING IT ON.

I will need a walking frame by the end of this thats for sure.
Easy @ Word - 23rd May Opening Night, every saturday
Everything You Want - Fridays @ Lounge Downstairs
OldSkool Hip Hop and Funk - Saturdays @ Red Violin
www.myspace.com/djsnowie

obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Snowie wrote:BRING IT ON.

I will need a walking frame by the end of this thats for sure.
You actually need a walking frame now...been meaning to tell ya. You'll need an electric wheelchair and a hair piece before this one's over. Kinda like Lob...

:lol:
Snowie

Post by Snowie »

Actually the electric wheel chair is a wicked idea. I've always wanted one of those. The hair piece....i needed a pet to look after, they're sort of like a hamster aren't they ?
www.myspace.com/djsnowie

obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Snowie wrote:Actually the electric wheel chair is a wicked idea. I've always wanted one of those. The hair piece....i needed a pet to look after, they're sort of like a hamster aren't they ?
Nah, that's what they're like over at Drew's house. But you know how they do it in his hood. Must be all the radiation coming through the water supply.

:wink:
Snowie

Post by Snowie »

They've mutated pretty big over his way, they now look like llama's.
www.myspace.com/djsnowie

obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Snowie wrote:They've mutated pretty big over his way, they now look like llama's.
I heard it the other way round...

Drew's mutated from a llama.

Little Llama.

I can feel the comeback and it's going to be ugly.

:roll:
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

So anyone else feel that vinyl is still the king?

All these other formats are cool, I guess, and they get the job done. But it almost seems like kissing your cousin. Sure you can do it, and for some, it may be easy and slightly nice in some sick, demented way. But it's still your cousin. Just because you can and it's easy doesn't mean you have to.

Everyone's talking about the death of vinyl again...it's something I got into this past Saturday with some drunk, again, but I honestly feel that it will never be obsolete. Collectors will always support the format and I'll be dragged kicking and screaming out of this industry before I ever give it up.

Vinyl is cool for many reasons that could fill their own thread, but the reason I love it and worship it is the fact it just feels right. I love the size of all its formats, i.e. 12's, 7's, 10's, full-lengths, EP's, 45's, picture discs; you name it. They all feel rad on my finger tips. Album covers look better on vinyl. I love opening a brand new record and you get that whif. Like heaven, if you ask me. I also love the smell of used record stores. The mold from the corners, out-of-shape clerks, plastic sleeves and ancient vinyl just go together so well.

I have no idea why this rant appeared just now. Maybe it's the dude who told me on Saturday that it doesn't seem worth the hassle dragging around my box, bag and 45's case when he could fit 3 times that on an Ipod that fits in his pocket and nobody in the club would know the difference.

Am I just getting old and nostaligic for the days gone past? Does anyone else love vinyl as much as I do. I mean, I have nothing against other formats. It's just that they're not vinyl and hold nothing for me.

What do you think?

Snowie

Post by Snowie »

I whole heartedly agree with ya bruva. Digging for records is an art. That day that you find that gem you've been after for 3 years finally shows up in some dodgey second record store, it's like the best day you've ever had, nothing can top it unless you find more of those tracks you've been searching for years.

You can't do that with digital. No feel , no soul.

I will open say that i'm addicted to the BLACK CRACK !
www.myspace.com/djsnowie

Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

I told a guy tonight who was crazy about vinyl and the whole record collecting culture that I think people attach far too much significance to things than they really warrant. I don't think he liked my opinion. Oh well.

Remember, plenty of people still have the attitude that DJs are rubbish because they don't play a "real" instrument. I say: make music with whatever means. Just do it for the love.

Most importantly - put on a good night and I'm there.
By design

chicken milk

Post by By design »

damn the turntable in my mind is as real an instrument as a guitar or piano it's just a matter of what you do with it. Yeah and us we're going to be dropping a wide array of disney classics with a bit of a bulgarian polkas all to the sound of the war of the worlds sound track in reverse. 8)
Brain

Post by Brain »

obliveus wrote:So anyone else feel that vinyl is still the king?

All these other formats are cool, I guess, and they get the job done. But it almost seems like kissing your cousin. Sure you can do it, and for some, it may be easy and slightly nice in some sick, demented way. But it's still your cousin. Just because you can and it's easy doesn't mean you have to.

Everyone's talking about the death of vinyl again...it's something I got into this past Saturday with some drunk, again, but I honestly feel that it will never be obsolete. Collectors will always support the format and I'll be dragged kicking and screaming out of this industry before I ever give it up.

Vinyl is cool for many reasons that could fill their own thread, but the reason I love it and worship it is the fact it just feels right. I love the size of all its formats, i.e. 12's, 7's, 10's, full-lengths, EP's, 45's, picture discs; you name it. They all feel rad on my finger tips. Album covers look better on vinyl. I love opening a brand new record and you get that whif. Like heaven, if you ask me. I also love the smell of used record stores. The mold from the corners, out-of-shape clerks, plastic sleeves and ancient vinyl just go together so well.

I have no idea why this rant appeared just now. Maybe it's the dude who told me on Saturday that it doesn't seem worth the hassle dragging around my box, bag and 45's case when he could fit 3 times that on an Ipod that fits in his pocket and nobody in the club would know the difference.

Am I just getting old and nostaligic for the days gone past? Does anyone else love vinyl as much as I do. I mean, I have nothing against other formats. It's just that they're not vinyl and hold nothing for me.

What do you think?

:scr1pt: x 10000000000000000000

Also, when I saw the Crystal Method recently, after playing some track that the crowd loved he HELD THE CD UP FOR THE CROWD TO SEE! It was kinda crap coz you could barely see it in his hand. I love seeing a dj holding that big vinyl mother up for the whole crowd to go sick at.

Oh, and vinyl sounds better...
Hep

Post by Hep »

obliveus wrote:So anyone else feel that vinyl is still the king?

What do you think?

I think vinyl is a true artifact of time and music...

did you know schoolteachers used to teach moralistic tales from their old 78 players....also mp3's sound shit....vinyl feels better, its just bad on ya back and wallet....

...as for kissing your cousin, it never happened!
MR B

Post by MR B »

Hear that guys! vinyl has soul to it.
www.myspace.com/thescratchfoundation
Dropping Phat @ The Workshop
BASS CAMP @ The Lounge
Fitzroys Finest @ Alia
BEAT Inc. @ Murmur
+more....
Lephrenic

Re: chicken milk

Post by Lephrenic »

By design wrote:damn the turntable in my mind is as real an instrument as a guitar or piano it's just a matter of what you do with it.
:scr1pt:
When you consider how many crap guitarists there are out there, the 'real instrument' argument doesn't hold water.
Hep

Re: chicken milk

Post by Hep »

Special Hegg wrote:
By design wrote:damn the turntable in my mind is as real an instrument as a guitar or piano it's just a matter of what you do with it.
:scr1pt:
When you consider how many crap guitarists there are out there, the 'real instrument' argument doesn't hold water.
hang on...that dont make snense...a good dj can use his instrument...?
Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

I'm saying those who criticise DJing as inferior to 'real' musicianship forget how bad so many of today's rock stars are.
Hep

Post by Hep »

aha..yes its true rock musics progression finished about the time steam trains came in vogue...
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

I have nothing against progression and I'm far from being a turntablist, I just love the look, feel and sound of vinyl. Clean and simple. I've seen some rad sets from dudes on Serato and CDR's; good on them. Just not for me to play it that way I guess. Fortunately, I've got a big, strong back to carry so much around. Glad others do agree and I'm not a solo dinosaur.
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Hep wrote:...as for kissing your cousin, it never happened!
That's not what Snowie's been telling everyone. Apparently, you're not too "well liked" round his aunt's house. Something to do with his cousin Bill, he tells us...

By design

Post by By design »

obliveus wrote:I have nothing against progression and I'm far from being a turntablist, I just love the look, feel and sound of vinyl. Clean and simple. I've seen some rad sets from dudes on Serato and CDR's; good on them. Just not for me to play it that way I guess. Fortunately, I've got a big, strong back to carry so much around. Glad others do agree and I'm not a solo dinosaur.
dig it it's just a matter of getting out there and playing no matter what the medium, music is food for the soul.
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

By design wrote:
obliveus wrote:I have nothing against progression and I'm far from being a turntablist, I just love the look, feel and sound of vinyl. Clean and simple. I've seen some rad sets from dudes on Serato and CDR's; good on them. Just not for me to play it that way I guess. Fortunately, I've got a big, strong back to carry so much around. Glad others do agree and I'm not a solo dinosaur.
dig it it's just a matter of getting out there and playing no matter what the medium, music is food for the soul.
Could not agree with you more. I honestly feel I'm a better person because of music and it's always kept me grounded. I care not how a person delivers their music to the masses, as long as their feeling it in some way. But my favorite way to deliver it is through vinyl recordings and if it means my neck will be crook every Sunday morning due to carrying record bags...so be it! That's why I married a chiro. :wink:

As a side note, this is the year that I've seriously started collecting 7's. It's like collecting the vinyl children of 12's. My hot pink 7" case is testament to the lengths I will take my geeky addictions. Plus, they're not as heavy.

MR B

Post by MR B »

By design wrote:
2 true! At the end of the day it's all about great tunes.
BASS CAMP @ The Lounge
Fitzroys Finest @ Alia
BEAT Inc. @ Murmur
+more....
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

MR B wrote:2 true! At the end of the day it's all about great tunes.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's rad!!!

8)
Hep

Post by Hep »

As a side note, this is the year that I've seriously started collecting 7's. It's like collecting the vinyl children of 12's. My hot pink 7" case is testament to the lengths I will take my geeky addictions. Plus, they're not as heavy.

:lol:[/quote]

yeh s sevens are usually the hits single or rariety that the band could afford to press, so its usually the bizness... all 7" set?

i will be mashing westcoast/eastcoast/southside/northwilder beats from the bronx to the burn....
Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

MR B wrote: Image
zomg that's just like so four score and seven years ago.
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Hep wrote:
obliveus wrote:As a side note, this is the year that I've seriously started collecting 7's. It's like collecting the vinyl children of 12's. My hot pink 7" case is testament to the lengths I will take my geeky addictions. Plus, they're not as heavy.

yeh s sevens are usually the hits single or rariety that the band could afford to press, so its usually the bizness... all 7" set?

i will be mashing westcoast/eastcoast/southside/northwilder beats from the bronx to the burn....
Dude, that could so easily be a theme for a future Shindig...all DJ's playing nothing but 7's. I got about 90.

8)
Snowie

Post by Snowie »

I just mighty have to go second hand record shopping at op shops then...I got about 6 or so. How about only originals, pressed before 1990.
www.myspace.com/djsnowie

obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Snowie wrote:I just mighty have to go second hand record shopping at op shops then...I got about 6 or so. How about only originals, pressed before 1990.
No! 7 inches only, ya blodger!!!

The Perpetual One

Post by The Perpetual One »

obliveus wrote:
Hep wrote:
obliveus wrote:As a side note, this is the year that I've seriously started collecting 7's. It's like collecting the vinyl children of 12's. My hot pink 7" case is testament to the lengths I will take my geeky addictions. Plus, they're not as heavy.

Dude, that could so easily be a theme for a future Shindig...all DJ's playing nothing but 7's. I got about 90.

8)
If i EVER see that Linda Ronstadt 7 again, i'ma beat your ass....

And if wanna see some future shit....

http://72.232.195.114/~djwiij/news.php
I love you like fat kid love cake

http://www.myspace.com/pmpjumpoff
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

The Perpetual One wrote:
obliveus wrote:
Hep wrote:

8)
If i EVER see that Linda Ronstadt 7 again, i'ma beat your ass....

And if wanna see some future shit....

http://72.232.195.114/~djwiij/news.php
:lol: :lol: :lol:

WHat you got against Linda?

8)
Hep

Post by Hep »

how bout dj sets in british knight high tops!
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

I missed last weeks convo.

Vinyl rules.

It looks better, feels better, sound better and smells better. As said before, just sucks that it costs more...
Snowie

Post by Snowie »

Hep wrote:how bout dj sets in british knight high tops!
I just may be able to still do that. Would have to hunt thru boxes of of old shoes to find them
www.myspace.com/djsnowie

obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Direktor wrote:I missed last weeks convo.

Vinyl rules.

It looks better, feels better, sound better and smells better. As said before, just sucks that it costs more...
As already mentioned...

:scr1pt: X 1,000

8)
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Oh yeah...

:teef:
Snowie

Post by Snowie »

Vaguely i remember it being something about my birthday... This means i'll have to dig and search for some rare and favourite schizzle. Wicked ! 24 days to go, and i'm ready getting impatient...
www.myspace.com/djsnowie

obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Snowie wrote:Vaguely i remember it being something about my birthday... This means i'll have to dig and search for some rare and favourite schizzle. Wicked ! 24 days to go, and i'm ready getting impatient...
What's it like to be turning 65 years old. Can you still...you know? I mean, do you get...um...you know? Are you ever...

MR B

Post by MR B »

obliveus wrote:
Snowie wrote:Vaguely i remember it being something about my birthday... This means i'll have to dig and search for some rare and favourite schizzle. Wicked ! 24 days to go, and i'm ready getting impatient...
What's it like to be turning 65 years old. Can you still...you know? I mean, do you get...um...you know? Are you ever...

Bwah haha!

it's robs bday on the 1st of april! Double bday shindig!!!
BASS CAMP @ The Lounge
Fitzroys Finest @ Alia
BEAT Inc. @ Murmur
+more....
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

MR B wrote:
obliveus wrote:

Bwah haha!

it's robs bday on the 1st of april! Double bday shindig!!!
Things are going to get quite ugly real fast.

8)
Snowie

Post by Snowie »

^^You said it.... That will be like 3 birthdays in a row...I don't think i'll be able to stand by monday. Where is that wheelchair ?
www.myspace.com/djsnowie

Hep

Post by Hep »

hang on...its my birthday on the 2nd....i ohmpletely forgot...haha.
Snowie

Post by Snowie »

Lets just order 5 wheelchairs that have an autopilot. Large is begining to seem very small compared to how this is going to turn out. Bring IT ON !!!!
www.myspace.com/djsnowie

mr lob

Post by mr lob »

it's my b'day on april 17 now if only peeps would return what they owe me or give me something new :lol:

I've warned youse start saving up your dollars :wink:
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

It's my birthday in July...will that count?
Snowie

Post by Snowie »

No, we'll just have to throw another ShinDig then. Easy, you can borrow my wheelchair, i mean i do have to give up my seat to the elderly....:teef:
www.myspace.com/djsnowie

obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Snowie wrote:No, we'll just have to throw another ShinDig then. Easy, you can borrow my wheelchair, i mean i do have to give up my seat to the elderly....:teef:
That's so nice of you to do that for Rob...I'm sure he'll appreciate it.

mr lob

Post by mr lob »

obliveus wrote:
Snowie wrote:No, we'll just have to throw another ShinDig then. Easy, you can borrow my wheelchair, i mean i do have to give up my seat to the elderly....:teef:

I do snowie you prick you :lol:
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

mr lob wrote:
obliveus wrote:

I do snowie you prick you :lol:
Sounds like the talk of a grumpy old man...

Snowie

Post by Snowie »

I was meaning you OB, Lob's got that whole Thai herbal remedies going on, he'll be well preserved and looking better than us, when we're well into our 100's.:teef:
www.myspace.com/djsnowie