The House Hunting Thread: "Be vewy, vewy quiet..."

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
Will

The House Hunting Thread: "Be vewy, vewy quiet..."

Post by Will »

Thought I'd throw on my camo go and start hunting seeing as I'm gonna be down there in about three weeks.

Anyone know of vacancy in either:

a) a good share house in the eastern suburbs?

b) an amazing apartment in the city?

c) a jaw-dropping house in North Fitz or surrounds?

Single-ish, 27yo, ns, male, nerd, f/t journalist with hopefully enough good habits to make up for the bad.

Willing to pay up to $170 a week, depending on the room.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

b) an amazing apartment in the city?

:(
Don't hate me for house
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

$170 a week! I'm sure you'll find something Will.

You're checking realestate.com.au yeah?
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Just out of interest what would people consider "normal" rent. As in the middle of the range they would be willing to pay.

Not cheap, not exxy, normal.

Or alternatively what do you pay now?
Don't hate me for house
Will

Post by Will »

I woulda thought about $120 would be average these days yeah?
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Dunno, been living inner city apartment styles so am out of touch.
Don't hate me for house
cj the taniwha

Post by cj the taniwha »

we pay $240 for 2 bedroom + study house in northcote which we are vacating in a month. I bet the rent goes up to like $300 a month or something.

So technically i guess i pay $120 and we would be willing to pay about 300 a month for a 2bdr house.

Side note - in Dubai rent is about $2500 a month for a 2 bdr apartment. So about $580 a week. :shock: Just as well we're going to get accomodation allowances and stuff.
Back from the desert to stir things up a little :)
cha_chaos

Post by cha_chaos »

ok my turn!

Looking for

a share house/apartment in south eastern subs or close close to city (as close as i can get)

I am: 18 yo female, ns, working full time at an insurance company (admni and team assistant), am quiet through the week but enjoy a good rumble some times on the weekend(as long as its appropriate). Like interior designing and tetris (handing for cleaning)
if pets are exepted, then woot!

up to $150 a week

The rubber plant was surprised. If the rubber plant could have spoken, it wouldn't have said anything. That's how surprised the rubber plant was.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Used to pay something like $140-160 on Spring St Fitzroy (I think, long time ago).

Was too much for me, but the location was sensational 8)
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

cj the taniwha wrote: Side note - in Dubai rent is about $2500 a month for a 2 bdr apartment. So about $580 a week. :shock: Just as well we're going to get accomodation allowances and stuff.
$580 a week ain't too bad?? Two bedrooms, a couple plus a single even split thats $193 per week
Don't hate me for house
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

My turn too....

Looking for 2br aw/ outside area (min. balcony) in Northcote/inner northern suburbs area.

I am poor, really can't afford more than $250 a week.
Fents

Post by Fents »

I pay $175 for new 3 br house...but im not renting am i :lol:
cha_chaos

Post by cha_chaos »

Direktor wrote:I am poor, really can't afford more than $250 a week.
You're poor? Then what am I???

The rubber plant was surprised. If the rubber plant could have spoken, it wouldn't have said anything. That's how surprised the rubber plant was.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

cha_chaos wrote:
Umm... that's $250 divided by two!
SoulWhiteMan

Post by SoulWhiteMan »

move outer and get yourselves a mortgage

:)
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

^ Might move to the outer in a few years, not now though.
cha_chaos

Post by cha_chaos »

Direktor wrote:
cha_chaos wrote:
Umm... that's $250 divided by two!
oh... :oops:

JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

We are hoping to get down to $100ish each for our place.

Which is gonna be out of control considering what we pay now.
Don't hate me for house
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

at the mo i pay $672 a month, which i just calculated to be $155 a week. is that right? Image
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

Direktor wrote:My turn too....

Looking for 2br aw/ outside area (min. balcony) in Northcote/inner northern suburbs area.

Taking you ages to find a place!

Hard to put a number on what 'reasonable' rent is.

Northside, south of Bruswick is usually $150 - $180 per person depending on number of people and condition of house.
Last edited by stovequeen on Thu May 17, 2007 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
spiral

Post by spiral »

we shell out 350 a week for a 2 bedroom house in north melbourne, fairly good size plus we have dog so kinda hard to find landlords that accept them..
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

stovequeen wrote:

Northside, south of Bruswick is usually $150 - $180 per person depending on number of people and condition of house.
To be hoenst I haven't been looking too hard Fi. It's so disheartening with the state of rental prices at the moment.

Hard to move from a nice secure and clean place in a nice suburb to the opposite and have to pay more money.

Not saying that inner-north aint nice by any means, talking more your Preston/Resevoir type suburbs which are still more than our current rental.

$150-180 p/person.... DANG!
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

Direktor wrote:
stovequeen wrote:

To be hoenst I haven't been looking too hard Fi. It's so disheartening with the state of rental prices at the moment.

Hard to move from a nice secure and clean place in a nice suburb to the opposite and have to pay more money.

Not saying that inner-north aint nice by any means, talking more your Preston/Resevoir type suburbs which are still more than our current rental.

$150-180 p/person.... DANG!
You are better off staying where you are until they try to increase you rent dude.

I would not like to be anyone looking to rent a new place at the moment... unless you have some sweet hook up ..you are going to get strung trying to find a place.. they are doing rent auctions now because there are so many people looking.

Oh.. that reminds me. I know comeone who is moving out of a mad place near the st kilda park (off Dandenong Rd). I think it's two or three bedrooms with massive front and back yard, garage, offstreet parking, hugh private fence etc. It's going cheap because it has been passed through friends privately over the last 5 years.

if anyone is keen i can't find out if its still available and what the $$ is
SoulWhiteMan

Post by SoulWhiteMan »

Direktor wrote:^ Might move to the outer in a few years, not now though.
I'm only 23. The thought of not having to put on nice clothes to walk down to the milkbar appeals to me.
cha_chaos

Post by cha_chaos »

Are there any rooms to advertise?

breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

SQ, can you please find out more details about that place in St Kilda for me?

Going to an O.F.I tonight for a house in Brunswick West. It's $390 p/w and we'll be offering $400 and a 2 year lease. Farken sik house though

I currently pay $822.50 p/c/m
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
cha_chaos

Post by cha_chaos »

breaksRbest wrote:SQ, can you please find out more details about that place in St Kilda for me?
:scr1pt: that sounds worthwile to go out on a limb for, am keen to know more... more!!!

Direkt

Post by Direkt »

stovequeen wrote: You are better off staying where you are until they try to increase you rent dude.

I would not like to be anyone looking to rent a new place at the moment... unless you have some sweet hook up ..you are going to get strung trying to find a place.. they are doing rent auctions now because there are so many people looking.
Yeah for sure. Just sucks with the 3hrs of transport per day, especially as the evenings/mornings are getting darker earlier, and more cold.

We should have din-dins sometime soon! :D
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

Direktor, there are heaps of 2&3 bedroom places in Coburg & Preston areas for $250 p/week

www.realestateview.com.au
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

breaksRbest wrote:Direktor, there are heaps of 2&3 bedroom places in Coburg & Preston areas for $250 p/week

Thanks mate. Really hoping for Nth Fitzroy, Northcote, Clifton Hill, Nth Melb type thang - but I reckon I'd be struggling to get one of those trendier places on my budget hey?
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

breaksRbest wrote:SQ, can you please find out more details about that place in St Kilda for me?

Going to an O.F.I tonight for a house in Brunswick West. It's $390 p/w and we'll be offering $400 and a 2 year lease. Farken sik house though

I currently pay $822.50 p/c/m
Hey G

My friend left a message with the landlord to call her.

I found out a bit more..

- No garage.. my bad.. but a small shed
- two bedrooms only.. but has a sun room that could be office
- big attic with pull down stairs, hand for storing stuff

The current rent is $330 a week which is very cheap for that area. But we are checking so see if they are going to put it up.

My friend had a large dog when she was renting there a few years back so i will be sweet for junior.

BUT, is saying all this.. i would rather you come Northside!
cha_chaos

Post by cha_chaos »

stovequeen wrote:
Hey G

My friend left a message with the landlord to call her.

I found out a bit more..

- No garage.. my bad.. but a small shed
- two bedrooms only.. but has a sun room that could be office
- big attic with pull down stairs, hand for storing stuff

The current rent is $330 a week which is very cheap for that area. But we are checking so see if they are going to put it up.

My friend had a large dog when she was renting there a few years back so i will be sweet for junior.

BUT, is saying all this.. i would rather you come Northside!
He can go NS and I'll take over this place :) I need a place for my pets!

huge
old boy

Post by huge »

breaksRbest wrote:I currently pay $822.50 p/c/m
holy shit.

ive never paid more than $600 a month.
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Direktor wrote:
breaksRbest wrote:Direktor, there are heaps of 2&3 bedroom places in Coburg & Preston areas for $250 p/week

Thanks mate. Really hoping for Nth Fitzroy, Northcote, Clifton Hill, Nth Melb type thang - but I reckon I'd be struggling to get one of those trendier places on my budget hey?
Didn't CJ say he was vacating a northcote house above?

Get in thur!
Don't hate me for house
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

Direktor wrote:

you'll be looking at closer to $300 for a house or apartment in those areas, but there's the occasional one that's cheaper

SQ, $330 p/week is pretty good.

huge, I've paid $2100 a month for a place. not for long though
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

jbs wrote:
Didn't CJ say he was vacating a northcote house above?

Get in thur!
That he did. He also said he thinks it's gonna go up to $300 p/w.

Any chance of a word CJ?
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

That was guess wasn't it?

Although what do I know!
Don't hate me for house
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Yeah, he said "thinks" not "knows" - here's hoping!
cj the taniwha

Post by cj the taniwha »

sure mate. i don't know about the rent increase, just know things are crazy in northcote at the moment. when we got the house over a year ago we were competing with 17 other people who put in written applications and got it because we were a nice soon to be married professional couple and we offered 240 a week instead of 230, you might get away with offering 250, i don't know.

Drawbacks:
* Landlord lives next door. Like right next door. Goes away most weekends to house in Dromana though and have never had any problems.
* On busy road - Arthurton road - because of this and above landlord we couldn't have a cat there, don't know if you have pets. Off street parking but it is round the back down a tight alley.

Pros
*Wicked public transport connections - 3 trams, a train station and a bus line all within 500 metres.
*Big house on double fronted section with big back yard
*Good location

We've loved it there and have counted ourselves very lucky to get it and at that price. Can PM you details of real estate agent if you like, best to get in waaayyyy early.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

CJ, is your landlord Greek/Italian??

Just wondering.
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
calstro

Post by calstro »

The Mixtress wrote:CJ, is your landlord Greek/Italian??

Just wondering.
Stab in the dark??? lol.

Does Landlord only accept cash?
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

cj the taniwha wrote:sure mate. i don't know about the rent increase, just know things are crazy in northcote at the moment. when we got the house over a year ago we were competing with 17 other people who put in written applications and got it because we were a nice soon to be married professional couple and we offered 240 a week instead of 230, you might get away with offering 250, i don't know.

Drawbacks:
* Landlord lives next door. Like right next door. Goes away most weekends to house in Dromana though and have never had any problems.
* On busy road - Arthurton road - because of this and above landlord we couldn't have a cat there, don't know if you have pets. Off street parking but it is round the back down a tight alley.

Pros
*Wicked public transport connections - 3 trams, a train station and a bus line all within 500 metres.
*Big house on double fronted section with big back yard
*Good location

We've loved it there and have counted ourselves very lucky to get it and at that price. Can PM you details of real estate agent if you like, best to get in waaayyyy early.
Cool man.

No pets. We're semi-professionals soon to be married also.

Landlord next door aye - may prove a little tough when it comes to the music, did you have any drama's regarding sound levels....

Is the busy road noticable inside the ride?
gnat

Post by gnat »

i'm currently helping friends with 'the search'. i'm a gun at it seriously

best tips i can give for not being turned down include writing a really good letter to attach to application, noting that you're looking for 'a home', long term lease, prev maintained and planted garden etc, plus your backgrounds/ what you do/ lived together long term etc and a the reason why you're moving elaborated upon

also at OFI's stick back and intro yourself/ schmooze the agent. he gets 30+ anonymous applications and can't put faces to names so makes a choice based on income and relationship of renters otherwise. make it so when he picks up your application he remembers you as the ones who stayed behind or were waiting earlier who were well presented and friendly- the ones who told him about a mad cafe around the corner, then ones who went to morocco etc

has always worked for me 8)
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
cj the taniwha

Post by cj the taniwha »

Direktor wrote:
cj the taniwha wrote:.
Cool man.

No pets. We're semi-professionals soon to be married also.

Landlord next door aye - may prove a little tough when it comes to the music, did you have any drama's regarding sound levels....

Is the busy road noticable inside the ride?
never had any complaints about noise from the landlord - he's old and can't hear and is away most weekends.

the road noise is a bit bad in the mornings in the front bedroom- but there is another smaller bedroom that we use that is quiet as.

you can come around on the weekend and take a look at the place if you like, we move out on June 16.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Thanks CJ.

Mighty kind of you.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

huge wrote:ive never paid more than $600 a month.
don't ever move to sydney then.
Last edited by system on Thu May 17, 2007 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
cj the taniwha

Post by cj the taniwha »

The Mixtress wrote:CJ, is your landlord Greek/Italian??

Just wondering.
Close - he's from Cyprus.
PahMaLa

Post by PahMaLa »

[quote="stovequeen
You are better off staying where you are until they try to increase you rent dude.

[/quote]

I'm holding off (yet AGAIN) as in 3 months time they are bringing in a law that it will be illegal to bid on rent. HOWEVER what is to stop the landlord in putting the price up even further?
If anything when your negotiating with rent if should be going down not up, that I don't get. Too many money hungry pigs!
calstro

Post by calstro »

^^^ supply and demand.

Out my way there is no demand... so theres plenty of supply.
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

I'm going to the Open for Inspection right now, armed with a fully sick application, cover letter and references.

We better get this place, I can't be farked looking anymore