The House Hunting Thread: "Be vewy, vewy quiet..."

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

not sure where you are looking GK, but my boy and i are paying $300 a week for two bedroom place (main bedroom is the size of a small apartment), nig loungeroom, fully carpeted, huge bir's, pretty big backyard, front yard, dishwasher. in north melbourne.

we got offered another place that was similar for $320, in North Melbourne as well.

i don't think you should settle. i know its trying, but you will be so much happier in the end if you hang in there...
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

yeah 2 bedroom is just not enough babe...

we need three to four really...
most of em seem to be 2 B/R's. no matter what area....

and we need to be in that side of town, boy works fitzroy,
me in city....

i dunno, im jsut over the hunt. its depressing me. we dont have a third person yet tho.
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

There's a few 3 b/r houses in Coburg area for about $350 on..

www.realestateview.com.au
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

yeah i dont want to live in coburg...

but its lookin like 350-400 for 3 B/r in that type of distance from the city is the go...
Charlie73
Location: Somewhere between South @ North.... Melbourne that is

Post by Charlie73 »

breaksRbest wrote:There's a few 3 b/r houses in Coburg area for about $350 on..

www.realestateview.com.au
wot bRb said - there are a fair few in our area poppet.......
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

i just searched on that site...

only one possible on darebin rd.
we check.

i do not want to live on the coburg side of life.

brunswick EAST is as far that way as id go.

if the one on darebin is no good i think we go for thornbury ghetto yard.
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

downsides are >
its in thornbury, near the split of high st and plenty rd. ten minutes walk to tram, twenty to train
That's a pretty good area ... you have 2 trams within 5 mins, a train station as well just off High St ... tram goes straight through the guts of the city down High st ... 5 minutes tram or 10 walk to northcote. 10 min walk to st. georges rd so Nth Fitzroy etc are easy to access.

Thornbury is far from 'ghetto' ... it's actually pretty expensive and has shitloads of nice places. I bought a place up the road in Preston just off High and it's a great area. Most first home owners with 5-600k to spend would kill to live in Thornbury - problem is there's no places!
deviant

Post by deviant »

ghetto kitty wrote:i just searched on that site...

we check.

seriously, I thought that too.... but back in '03 I moved into Coburg.... one of the best places and places to live I've been.... (just near where charlie is now, literally 'round the corner)

we had a 2 sorey, 5br place with air-con (ducted), 2 bathrooms and MASSIVE living area with open plan kitchen/dining, pollished boards throughout for $320 per week.

awesome, sooo gutted when we had to move due to owner wanting to sell :(
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

yeah i didnt mean thornbury was ghetto, i meant the backyard is ghetto!
as in, its a patch of dirt with a hill hoist on it and no trees at all....
but me and my succulent garden will be okay there i think...

i used to live right next to thornbury train station, and it is a great location!

im jsut worreid about boy cheffing all night then humping it on BMX from Bwick st, but he says hes up for it.

it seems we have the house. final call back tommororw.
and they know about yoshi so thats good....bungalow is major win.
Charlie73

Post by Charlie73 »

deviant wrote:
ghetto kitty wrote:i just searched on that site...

we check.

seriously, I thought that too.... but back in '03 I moved into Coburg.... one of the best places and places to live I've been.... (just near where charlie is now, literally 'round the corner)

we had a 2 sorey, 5br place with air-con (ducted), 2 bathrooms and MASSIVE living area with open plan kitchen/dining, pollished boards throughout for $320 per week.

awesome, sooo gutted when we had to move due to owner wanting to sell :(
WORD

Kitty it is closer to the city and Brunnie that Thornbury is that is for sure... And much more in the way of transport... We got buses x 2, trams x 2 and a train all within 10mins walk...

we have ducted heating and cooling, 3 bedroms, 2 livign areas, lock up remote garage.....
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

guys, ive lived in coburg.

dan that sounds like an 03 deal that house!!! ;)

i lived off melville rd.
and also near sydney rd.

never again. super dodgy at night, break ins, shite food options unless you like turkis.

i heart northcote area bad.

this place has heating/cooling/new stove, great kitchen, three large bedrooms inside, carpeted powered bungalow out back too, two living areas, one perfect for wii excercise, front verandah that gets sun in the mornin, , nice rose filled wogesque front yard, covered area for smoking outside..

just barren back yard with concrete slab and patchy grass.

anyone want to sell me some trees?
Charlie73

Post by Charlie73 »

Furry muff...

I still say it is hands down safer than Nth Melbs, and compared to teh real smack and crack hoods i lived in, in the UK, phft Coburg is safe as houses...

I walk the streets on my lonesome after dark... not an issue
deviant

Post by deviant »

pffft, you've obviously never LIVED in coburg... sounds like you know nothing of its greatness.

HEATHEN!! I scoff at your Thornbury!
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

scoff not gentle city dweller, one day you will ask to move to the outer burbs once again, and

thronbury may be the only place that will take your exiled soul back.

;)
deviant

Post by deviant »

I would go back to fitzroy/collingwood... two main gripes about my joint....

no air-con... OK if you've got a low rise house with insullation, fucking bad if you are on level 3 and 4.

no pets.. really want to get a dog and cat. cannot :(

everything else is spiffy :)

provided they don't try to put the rent up a third time :roll:
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

you can come visit us in da burbs and have cool breezes float aruond you as yoshi covers you in kisses!

:wink:
deviant

Post by deviant »

ew dog kisses gross
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

btw kitty there's loads of parks around thornbury/preston for the dog to run around ... there's a huge bunch of ovals right near northland as well as some parks on bell street too which would be walking distance. our dogs love the local parks.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

Charlie73 wrote:Furry muff...

I still say it is hands down safer than Nth Melbs, and compared to teh real smack and crack hoods i lived in, in the UK, phft Coburg is safe as houses...

I walk the streets on my lonesome after dark... not an issue

i reckon you were in a bad part of Nth Melbs Charlie, cos where i am seems safe as fuck (touch wood lol) and not that many smackies directly on my street. Few hang around the corner shop but they keep to themselves.
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
Charlie73

Post by Charlie73 »

^^ Probs was we were in a nice area but the location relevant to Errol St cause that is where tehy all asked for change etc, and our house was on teh stumble home from teh dealer me thinks...

But yeah main thing i was i well over the smackies etc...

Still i love the 'Burg
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

shepherd wrote:btw kitty there's loads of parks around thornbury/preston for the dog to run around ... there's a huge bunch of ovals right near northland as well as some parks on bell street too which would be walking distance. our dogs love the local parks.
yeah i think we are close to pender park actually...
his favorite thing at the moment is running between us as we throw the aerobie back and forth...

waiting for a call back about the house today.

you know when you begin to picture yoursefl in a house and it gets exciting?
well im excited now...
i think we might spend some $$ and time to make the 'ghetto garden' into a lush backyard.

now, how to poison the yappy dog that lives next door....

8)
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

ghetto kitty wrote:now, how to poison the yappy dog that lives next door....

8)
:shock:

:smt018
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
gnat

Post by gnat »

chris and marie's ftw kitty

pittosporums along fenceline- buy em for a fiver and they'll gorw out of control within 6-8 months
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

and houston, we have a house! my bday this weekend, then move in next weekend.

chris and maries for sure gnatty, my bestie is the best green thumb ever and last night he said
'with my knowhow and your money we can do anything!"

which is true :lol:

BRB > what about a drug to thicken the vocal chords of said doggie so he just yaps less high pitched?

thornbury here we come!

thanks for letting me workshop on MB as usual guys. :roll: @ me.
Charlie73

Post by Charlie73 »

ghetto kitty wrote:and houston, we have a house! my bday this weekend, then move in next weekend.

chris and maries for sure gnatty, my bestie is the best green thumb ever and last night he said
'with my knowhow and your money we can do anything!"

which is true :lol:

BRB > what about a drug to thicken the vocal chords of said doggie so he just yaps less high pitched?

thornbury here we come!

thanks for letting me workshop on MB as usual guys. :roll: @ me.
WOOOOOO HOOOOOOO Kitty has a house kitty has a house....
deviant

Post by deviant »

ghetto kitty wrote:BRB > what about a drug to thicken the vocal chords of said doggie so he just yaps less high pitched?
nangs?
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

yay kitten! can't wait to check it out. :D
all happening so fast.
gonna miss yoooouuuuuu! :(
Charlie73

Post by Charlie73 »

Fark Agents in the ass
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

im really really gonna miss you too babe.

not fair.

find amazing lady on interweb.

make friends.

move her in.

get boyfriend.

move out.

no fair.

:(
witty_pseudonym

:(

i visit.
lots.
who knows...i might come running to the bungy. :lol:
J Gal

Post by J Gal »

i'm moving outta my place in Port Melbourne. So my lovely house mate is looking for someone to move in @ the end of the month.
Its 800 pcm including all bills. PM me for me details. I'm sad to be leaving this house. :(
These are the days of our lolz
ulyssian

Re: The House Hunting Thread: "Be vewy, vewy quiet..."

Post by ulyssian »

This might interest a few people.
With the current housing 'crisis' we have seen longer waiting times for people to access Emergency, Transitional and Permanent Housing when faced with a crisis.
The Rudd Gov't has called for a Green Paper which forums have discussed throughout the country, they are developing ways of getting private developers to invest in providing affordable housing and supply housing to low income earners... this will take some time.
In Victoria, we have seen waiting list for Office Of Housing (Public Housing) lengthen to the point that in some areas, people on the most urgent category can wait 2-5 years for long-term secure accommodation.
Tenants in transitional (temp) housing are staying there much longer than their support issues take to resolve and cannot move on effectively blocking up the system for those who need support. As for Emergency accommodation... well... yikes.
Through a series of consultation forums and pilot projects... Victoria Gvt has set up Affordable Housing Associations which sort of run parallel to Office of Housing and are trying to accommodate people who have difficulty accessing other forms of accommodation (which is basically anyone these days whether they have mental health/drug etc. issues or not)...
Some people on this forum may be interested in applying for or suggesting to friends with housing difficulties to look at this option.... Basically we all have friends that are going through tough times and negotiating the supports can be tough.

This is one example of an Affordable Housing Association project:
M.A.H wrote:Recent studies indicate that housing affordability for first home buyers declines with proximity to central Melbourne. City of Melbourne research of the rental market shows that of all City of Melbourne precincts, Docklands has the highest housing cost.
Social and economic commentators all agree that diverse communities are healthy communities. Diversity of population and experience enhance the social, cultural and economic vitality of the area and help create a sense of community. It further encourages the growth of infrastructure and services that will support the community both now and into the long term.

Small business at Docklands has also indicated that a lack of skilled staff was a barrier that limited growth. With most of these industries being in the hospitality (53%), retail (19%) and cultural/recreation services (12%), the shortage can be directly apportioned to the lack of housing affordability on the grounds that these industries primarily offer casual or part-time employment.

The target group for the proposed Victoria Harbour project therefore focuses on these low-income and modest income households, ‘key workers’, requiring ready access to the inner Melbourne area who require accommodation close to their area of work.

MAH will purchase 57 units from LendLease Developments to provide rental accommodation to key workers at 838 Bourke Street Melbourne.

Target Group

Key workers are targeted for The Merchant project. Anyone can apply to rent our apartments and we will assess them on a number of criteria which include:
· being employed in the inner metropolitan area of the Melbourne labour market; or be seeking access to it including connections with the community / local area;
· having a single household income of around $38,000 or less, and around $64,000 or less for a dual income household type;
· have the ability to pay rent while not spending more than 25 - 30% of their income on this rent.
Most importantly we want to ensure that each applicant can be independent and able to sustain their tenancy for the long term.
http://www.melbourneaffordablehousing.com.au

A full list of Housing Associations can be found at http://www.dhs.vic.gov.au they cover different areas and housing needs.
Also... if anyone is cashed up and looking for Australian Charities to donate to.... http://www.probonoaustralia.com.au provides a list of Australian not-for-profit groups that are available for donat's.

(that's my social contribution today)
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

nice one uly...

its full on that so many people are living in sub standard accom, and often paying through the nose for it.
quick

Post by quick »

I have decided to buy a place, looking north Carlton, Collingwood, Kensington, Richmond...

I know house prices are quite low now, should I wait much longer for them to drop more or buy asap? anyone know anything about this stuff?

Also, I'm thinking of going through a mortgage broker, any recommendations?
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
nic

Post by nic »

get a wife first imo
i want to buy a haus as well, but i reckon all teh talk of housing price crashes actually means the desirable places (inner city) just hold their value and the shitty outer suburbs just die. good houses are always in demand imo.

get in whenever tbh, if u want one dont hold for some 'mega housing crash'

i made all that up
quick

Post by quick »

lol cheers nic... will u be my wife?
Friday

Post by Friday »

like nic said quick - it's only the outer suburbs that are really dropping. inner suburbs are holding up well on the prices and clearances... just gotta bite the bullet and do it when you're ready for it - don't wait for a huge crash as it's not going to hugely effect the suburbs you're looking at.

you can buy my old place! :teef: i'm selling it this saturday - more bidders the better :P

http://bigginscott.com.au/index.cfm?pag ... yID=874408

wrong suburb for you though ;)
nic

Post by nic »

steve:
your new wife, she works in realestate.
can has babies
Friday

Post by Friday »

:lol: nic
menace

Post by menace »

Friday wrote::lol: nic
x2
quick

Post by quick »

cheers again all, this "price drop" should keep prices steady for a few months tho yeah?

prolly looking at buying around Jan
nic

Post by nic »

spring is the best market though
deviant

Post by deviant »

Friday wrote:like nic said quick - it's only the outer suburbs that are really dropping. inner suburbs are holding up well on the prices and clearances... just gotta bite the bullet and do it when you're ready for it - don't wait for a huge crash as it's not going to hugely effect the suburbs you're looking at.

you can buy my old place! :teef: i'm selling it this saturday - more bidders the better :P

http://bigginscott.com.au/index.cfm?pag ... yID=874408

wrong suburb for you though ;)
out of interest... what's the expected price bracket?
Stray

Post by Stray »

Interest rates are likely to drop in November.. so would be best to buy before then.
Friday

Post by Friday »

deviant wrote: out of interest... what's the expected price bracket?
quoting high 600ks to low 700ks but hoping that the sky will be the limit :P i bought in 2002 so it's done well over that amount of time, been a good investment...

ps that is not my furniture or artwork! wouldn't want people thinking that it's my stuff :lol: it's rented stuff for the opens...
nic

Post by nic »

nice artwork friday
:teef:
ulyssian

Post by ulyssian »

Buy off da plan... save $$$.. but then you have to wait... check out what developments are coming up.... unless ya sick of living in dat style of housing.
Charlie73

Post by Charlie73 »

quick wrote:cheers again all, this "price drop" should keep prices steady for a few months tho yeah?

prolly looking at buying around Jan

I can has chats with you about this, i have been getting advice from one of the company directors in here (construction company) and he gave low down on all the burbs to look at, what to look at, what to look past etc.....

Lets do a coffee nibble after werk and chat
Charlie73

Post by Charlie73 »

ulyssian wrote:Buy off da plan... save $$$.. but then you have to wait... check out what developments are coming up.... unless ya sick of living in dat style of housing.
mm just as many cons as pros when you buy off the plan...

First of all you would have to pick a pretty special apartment to then be able to re-sell, location alone doesn't work for apartments, it needs to have a major WOW factor that the other apartments in teh same complex don't have. also yeah you save on stamp duty etc when you buy off the plan, BUT you have to be very confident (not easy these days) that the developer A. Will nto blow the time frame WAAAAY out and your deposit is dead money during that time not doing anything earning you less interest cause it aint in your bank, and if the developer does go broke (again more common these days) you join teh back of a loooooong line of creditors to try and get your deposit back......

but again pros and cons in everything....
witty_pseudonym

my ma has bought an apartment in the new block being built opposite workshop. fucking mad location. top floor styles.
fingers crossed it looks as good as the plans. i plan on house sitting frequently. :D