Is Global Warming Real?

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

saintberry wrote:If we were as scared as we are now at the dawn of the industrial revolution... there wouldn't have been one.
lol, well put. Better the devil you know seems to be today's catchcry.

It's broken motherfuckers, let's fix it!
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
Dark Lord Piddle Bottom

Post by Dark Lord Piddle Bottom »

Quotes I found regarding global warming on the internet

"According to a new U.N. report, the global warming outlook is much worse than originally predicted. Which is pretty bad when they originally predicted it would destroy the planet." --Jay Leno

"President Bush has a plan. He says that if we need to, we can lower the temperature dramatically just by switching from Fahrenheit to Celsius" --Jimmy Kimmel, on fighting global warming

"Scientists say because of global warming they expect the world's oceans to rise four and a half feet. The scientists say this can mean only one thing: Gary Coleman is going to drown." --Conan O'Brien
Everything is proceeding as I have Foreseen

http://www.myspace.com/dark_lord_piddle_bottom
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

:lol:
SoulWhiteMan

Post by SoulWhiteMan »

Stray wrote:Obviously global warming is real.. how it occurs is the point of conjecture.

Considering the ocean creates the majority of co2, followed by vegetation and then animals, with man coming in with a miniscule percentage of green house gasses.. and then considering that green house gasses make up some tiny percentage of the total atmosphere.. you gota wonder.

Check out the documentary "The great global warming swindle". Good viewing.
it's on youtube, and it is interesting....

but!

The crux of their theory is this: Maggie Thatcher pumped loads of cash into the global warming research to come up with "carbon emissions cause environmental harm" - heaps of scientists research it, and hey presto, they discover that C02 hurts the planet.... and "global warming" is manufactured by Thatcher...

So:

Right Wing Conservative Doesn't like middle east, doesn't trust coal miners (because of the unions)

Creates Global Warming "conspiracy"

The Hippies of the 60's/70's latch onto it as part of an "alternate" way of life, better ecology, save teh trees and all that

......A right wing idea was twisted and taken on by the left, then the rest of the world

this "false" theory becomes a major research institute at universities all over the globe

everyone was swindled by Maggie Thatchers desire to cut down on coal, and use nuclear power.....

pissweak theory to me
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

^^ it's gonna be shown on ABC soon I beleive.

Check out "crude" (On ABC last night).. real eye opener.
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

Peak Oil will render the whole global warming fact/fiction argument unnecessary.

Whether it is true or not, we soon won't have affordable fossil fuels to maintain our current way of life and no amount of existing renewables will come close to making up the shortfall.
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

ADD_Boy wrote:^^ it's gonna be shown on ABC soon I beleive.

Check out "crude" (On ABC last night).. real eye opener.
Crude was excellent last night. Very informative television on where oil comes from, how it was made during the last period of global warming (when the dinosaurs died) and how it just might be made again if our worst fears of global warming come to fruition.
Just because I rock, doesn't mean I'm made of stone.
Will

Post by Will »

mrj wrote: From a financial perspective, sure, I can see how they really isn't a lot of money to be made from pushing the greenie agenda, or maybe there is but the reality is you can make heaps more money from being a fossil fuel guzzling uberconsumer.
Actually, some greenies, like my dad, are in a position to potentially make a shitload of cash.

He started up a carbon trading company a couple of years ago and recently pulled off the biggest deal of its kind in Australia by preventing massive amounts of deforestation in North Queensland and selling the credits for all the carbon that didn't go into the atmosphere.

If he doesn't fuck it up, he's likely to make a killing over the next little while.

Nonetheless, I know for a fact that he absolutely believes that the human race is under threat from global warming of our own creation and he only got into the business because he wants to save the world. The money, if it ends up coming, would just be a welcome side effect.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Will wrote:If he doesn't fuck it up...
that qualification killed me :lol:

Good luck to him :D
Will

Post by Will »

The Mixtress wrote:

He'll need it. He's such an idealistic trusting motherfucker and just doesn't know how to build wealth.

I pray daily I haven't inherited the poor gene.
lynt

Post by lynt »

I like that rational.

First, the dudes mining the earth are making shit loads of money.

Now, the ones who are saving it are making shit loads of money.

I think it all comes down to money.
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

Will wrote:
The Mixtress wrote:

He'll need it. He's such an idealistic trusting motherfucker and just doesn't know how to build wealth.

I pray daily I haven't inherited the poor gene.
my dad is a energy efficiency consultant.. he is starting to alright now all that every one is trying to save energy
quick

Post by quick »

sAme'0 wrote:he is starting to alright now all that every one is trying to save energy
classic bear
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

Carbon trading is a recent phenomenon that arose out of necessity.
Global Warming research has been going on since the 1960s.

Can we please dispense with this 'greenie conspiracy' line now? It just doesn't hold water.

I don't blame anyone. For the record, I myself am a believer in a few controversial theories. But this is only because for years I've thrown as much at them as I could to disprove them and failed - the evidence just kept piling up in their favour. Sometimes you have to challenge your own assumptions and test the facts even if they go against what you want to believe.

But honestly. The posts here from Fooishbar, Saintberry, NinjaGaijin and Will more than sufficiently settle the debate. Test their ideas first before you go any further.
mrj

Post by mrj »

Fair enough

I like Wills example, and think its great that someone was able to make a killing off helping the environment.

And I probably was a bit sweeping with my statements, obviously there is some money to be made with an environmentally friendly approach. Environmental consulting firms might be such an example. I know our work has recently introduced a an enviro group in their internal auditing division, and are doing very well advising on everything from carbon trading to helping firms find alternate ways to become "carbon neutral"(I'm not a big fan of that term, I think carbon offsets for example don't make you carbon neutral, just capable of passing the problem onto someone else, which big business has a long history of doing very succesfully).

But I still think that corporations wanting to make lots of money quickly are still best to do it the old fashioned way, by digging shit out of the grouind and making people want shit that they don't need. Ie all environmental unfriendly stuff.

Obviously money is to be made where there is demand (market forces always rule), and who knows maybe we will see a market in the future where its easier to make money being nice to the environment than it is being a prick to it, but I don't think thats the case now, and I think there is more money to be made for big business (lets face it these are the guys who influence policy and media) by downplaying and discrediting global warming than by hyping it.

As such if we are using a simple "follow the money" approach to determine the validity of "global warming is a conspiracy"" theories then I would argue that it would be a waste of time because the people with the money to exploit such opportunities would probably be much better off sticking to their environemnt killing ways.

HOWEVER

I will add this caveat. I can potentially see how a global warming conspiracy might help those with money in the uranium sector.

- Fossil fuels will and are running out. That much is beyond refute.

So, is it possible that all the big boys with their money tied up in oil, are slowly moving towards the Uranium sector so that they still have control over the main energy resource when fossil fuels dry up?

To do this it would certainly be in their favour to
- Get governments to make the switch to nuclear power (using public pressure)
- Get people to accept the potential environmental impacts of nuclear by portraying it as the lesser of two evils (which I would argue is currently happening)

Anyone been paying attention to the world uranium price lately? What about the share prices of uranium exploration and mining companies? I reckon theres some evidence lurking there that could be used to argue that the uranium guys have a lot to gain from a global warming "conspiracy". There is also enough money in that sector to buy influence to push such a conspiracy on the scale that would be required!

I'm not saying that this is what I think is happening. Its pure postulating. But its an interesting concept anyways.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
SoulWhiteMan

Post by SoulWhiteMan »

mrj wrote:
Anyone been paying attention to the world uranium price lately? What about the share prices of uranium exploration and mining companies? I reckon theres some evidence lurking there that could be used to argue that the uranium guys have a lot to gain from a global warming "conspiracy". There is also enough money in that sector to buy influence to push such a conspiracy on the scale that would be required!

I'm not saying that this is what I think is happening. Its pure postulating. But its an interesting concept anyways.
that was the crux of "the global warming swindle" on BBC, their contention was that Thatcher wanted Uranium/Nuclear power to be the main source of energy for fear of the middle east and coal miners.

hmmm......
Dark Lord Piddle Bottom

Special Hegg wrote:Whether it is true or not, we soon won't have affordable fossil fuels to maintain our current way of life
Well thanks to the good old Nazi's who paved the way for mass production of synthetic fuel we could actually continue for some time using coal and natural gas to produce gasoline, diesel or kerosen.

mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Dark Lord Piddle Bottom wrote:
Special Hegg wrote:Whether it is true or not, we soon won't have affordable fossil fuels to maintain our current way of life
Well thanks to the good old Nazi's who paved the way for mass production of synthetic fuel we could actually continue for some time using coal and natural gas to produce gasoline, diesel or kerosen.
Is that information gleaned from your SS book DLPB??
Dark Lord Piddle Bottom

The Mixtress wrote:
Dark Lord Piddle Bottom wrote:
Is that information gleaned from your SS book DLPB??
Close... it was from a book on Auschwitz which talked about the largest industrial plant established by I.G.Farben producing synthetic fuel, which I think accounted for 70% of fuel used by the nazi's.

almax

Re: Is Global Warming Real?

Post by almax »

Bumpity

came across this:

Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

what's your thoughts Al?
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
almax

Post by almax »

Im no scientist so my opinion is pretty useless innit?

But....since you asked...I think that there is more important issues than CO2 such as polution, destruction of habitat and over fishing of our oceans which should be addressed first and foremost.
I dont believe that CO2 is all that its made out to be and the fact its gonna be taxed re-enforces this in me (another way to tax the population).
I read that the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere is something like 0.03% so it seems like a very minute amount.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

yeah just asking hey. I don't get this CO2 argument much either, or global warming. i just think the planet runs in cycles. But i don't know a great deal about it all. Just seems like they all keep changing their minds constantly about it
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos