google maps - street view

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
huge
old boy

Re: google maps - street view

Post by huge »

far out lol
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

the future is very far out

;)
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

The future is "Heavy"

haven't you seen back to the future GK?

Post by 10.15 »

almax wrote:sorry guys im obviously pretty passionate about this, its just something that deeply concerns me.
Anyone wanna start a riot?
:teef:

no seriously
Feigan wrote: I'm not saying that this couldn't happen, because it could, I am more so saying it is unlikely this would happen and that this technology would be used against us.
I agree that its unlikely in the current political climate, but fuck, peak oil is about to come and go, the world is about to possibly turn to shit, whos to say what life in Australia or the world for that matter will be like in 30, 20 maybe even 10 years time. Once this technology is implemented, it wont be stopped.
:scr1pt: Al. Well and truly onto it tbh.
Sat 1st May: TREVOR LOVEYS (UK)
Sun 30th May: OXIA (8BIT RECS - FRANCE)
http://the-late-show.blogspot.com/
deviant

Post by deviant »

peak oil is going to be nasty.
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

show us your nasty dan
nic

Post by nic »

boing
FunkyJ

Post by FunkyJ »

almax wrote:bzzz

Where is YOUR proof it wouldnt happen, you even just admitted that governments are fucked up.
Im not saying it WILL happen, im just saying it could happen, and if it does would be totally fucked all just so we dont lose our wallets?
The risk doesnt weigh up to the perceived benefits.
Tell me what astounding benefits a microchip will bring our society?
To twist your example:

People get killed at nightclubs - so should we risk people getting killed, or should we just not allow nightclubs?
Tell me what astounding benefits will nightclubs bring our society?
Ready to drop, Audio rock, here comes the boy from the South!
-= www.funkyj.com =-
almax

Post by almax »

FunkyJ wrote:
almax wrote:bzzz

Where is YOUR proof it wouldnt happen, you even just admitted that governments are fucked up.
Im not saying it WILL happen, im just saying it could happen, and if it does would be totally fucked all just so we dont lose our wallets?
The risk doesnt weigh up to the perceived benefits.
Tell me what astounding benefits a microchip will bring our society?
To twist your example:

People get killed at nightclubs - so should we risk people getting killed, or should we just not allow nightclubs?
Tell me what astounding benefits will nightclubs bring our society?
:roll: well thats simple innit, amongst other things, people get laid in nightclubs! well at least i did :lol:
and getting laid is one of the fundamentals to the survival of the human species

but really a ridiculous flip there, or are you just trying to wind me up again?
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

I'm going to do some more reading on this topic I think.

Post by 10.15 »

Feigan wrote:I'm going to do some more reading on this topic I think.
http://www.australiamatters.com/

edit: was just reading an article about id cards / chips the other day, seems to be gone now :(
Interesting site anyway.
Last edited by 10.15 on Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sat 1st May: TREVOR LOVEYS (UK)
Sun 30th May: OXIA (8BIT RECS - FRANCE)
http://the-late-show.blogspot.com/
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

:groan:
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
deviant

Post by deviant »

^^ My god. While I can't comment on the accuracy of the content on that site... I seriously can't stand the delivery. propaganda much???? jeezus, when every second word is underline to get YOUR POINT accross, it's akin to yelling the shit louder... As my dad used to say when me and my brother were aguing as children... "just coz you say it louder or more forcefully doesn't make you right".

Just reading the water fluridization section..
  • Sodium fluoride variety waste product of the aluminum smelting industry, phosphate fertilizer industry, nuclear industry, and was Hitler's choice of sedative to dumb prisoners down.
wtf???

water fluridization is sodium hexafluorosilicate, not pure sodium fluoride. This argument reminds me of the people that say... "OMG you took Ketamine, that's a horse tranquilizer!!" Purely sensationalist... so what if a chemical is used as a tranquilizer? this is in no way a measure of it's potency or danger... a substance being used for a purpose is far different to saying it "IS" such and such (defined by purpose).

Hitler's choice of sedative??!?!!! :shock: links?, citations, wtf

jeezus, I'm not going to sit here and say that this information is incorrect... but please present it in a proper fashion that doesn't treat you like a dickhead. I just switch off after the first couple of sentences.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Ketamine is a horse tranqualiser :wink:

To me, this just illustrates the chemical effects/properties of the drug.

I.e. it ain't an upper.
deviant

Post by deviant »

lol, yep, not a stimulant at all.

This may sound like nit-picking... but saying it is a horse tranqualiser is a dramatisation... it's used as an anesthetic and traqualiser accross all vetenary medicine, not just for horses. And in fact it used to be used on humans too, as a general anesthetic.

It's also like saying Direktor IS an MC... I prefer it put that you are a person who MCs... might sound picky, but I believe these are very different views.
spiral

Post by spiral »

no ketamine is a skeletal muscle relaxant
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

deviant wrote:lol, yep, not a stimulant at all.

This may sound like nit-picking... but saying it is a horse tranqualiser is a dramatisation... it's used as an anesthetic and traqualiser accross all vetenary medicine, not just for horses. And in fact it used to be used on humans too, as a general anesthetic.

It's also like saying Direktor IS an MC... I prefer it put that you are a person who MCs... might sound picky, but I believe these are very different views.
Gee Dan, you would be great at general semantics...

But I agree with your point.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Indeeds
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

id like to ask, myki, the new public transport card, if it ever gets up and working, good idea or not?
Fents

Post by Fents »

hahaha from street maps to govt to K. top work peeps.
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

ghetto kitty wrote:id like to ask, myki, the new public transport card, if it ever gets up and working, good idea or not?
I say good idea, but see how the implementation goes. Its similar to oyster card in London...
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Shitload of coin been spent on it.

Let's hope it's a success.
deviant

Post by deviant »

apophenian wrote:Gee Dan, you would be great at general semantics...

But I agree with your point.
what do you mean by "but"?? lol

I'm very interested in cognitive science, linguistics and philosophy as a whole if you must know.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

see, to me it is the beginning of said 'micro chip' mentality.

street view gets us used to the fact that nowhere is private.
myki gets us used to the fact that no movements are outside the grid.
medical incompetence gets us used to the fact that it might be easier to have all records stored on your person.
lockouts gets us used to the fact that the world is a dangerous, violent place and your better off chatting online while ordering your groceries to be delivered to your door...etc etc

i see the media, the oil tycoons, the banks and the mainly western govts with this huge long plan that stretches from the past right into the future, pretending that its all just occurring as it happens, not being orchestrated with a major world plan in mind.

i think that while hitler has been publicly blacklisted for his actions in the modern politically correct world, he is still the secret poster boy for many people in power's agendas today.
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

deviant wrote:what do you mean by "but"?? lol
Because I think the idea of general semantics is great, and I try to make distinctions of symbolism versus reality, but I think trying to apply that type of discipline to your life in general, would drive you (or people around you) nuts. ie, I was being a little sarcastic.
almax

Post by almax »

:smt005

"I can only repeat her question: What are they putting in the water? It’s the only thing that could explain such astonishing stupidity."

GOLD
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

lol i found my house

man if peeps are getting up in arms about this, don't read stuff about CCTV. Shits been around for ages, and is public access to anyone who asks.
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
almax

Post by almax »

http://www.theage.com.au/news/technolog ... 16564.html

Two American artists have made swooning for Google's all-seeing eye an art form, creating what they term the first artistic intervention in Google Street View.

After witnessing the immense online interest in quirky sightings on Google Maps, Robin Hewlett and Ben Kinsley approached Google with the idea of creating a series of staged tableaux along a street in Pittsburgh.

The scenes, which were shot on May 3 this year and feature Pittsburgh's Northside residents hamming it up along a nondescript lane called Sampsonia Way, went live on Google Maps this week.

They include firemen rescuing a cat from a tree, a giant chicken sculpture, a woman dressed in a ham suit, a fake marathon, a rehearsing garage band, a mad scientist lab complete with "love laser", a high school marching band, a woman escaping from a window using a rope made from bed sheets and a medieval sword fight.

The project, called Street With A View, "introduces fiction, both subtle and spectacular, into the doppelganger world of Google Street View", Hewlett and Kinsley announced on their website.

The site includes links and photographs for each of the scenes as well as YouTube videos charting the making of the project.

The artists may have got their idea for staged Google Maps sightings from Google employee Michael Weiss-Malik, who is pictured standing outside the company's Mountain View headquarters with a sign saying "Proposal 2.0: Marry me Leslie!!"

Of course, despite the colour, theatrics and artistic cred offered by Hewlett and Kinsley's project, the more enthralling Google Maps sightings occur in an unstaged environment when the subjects are unaware of the presence of Google's camera-equipped cars.

Street View, a feature of Google Maps that lets users explore street-level images of several countries, was launched in Australia in August. It quickly exposed a cheating spouse, uncovered a lying neighbour and snapped a man sleeping on the job.

But one of the more unfortunate sightings was that of a man in Victoria snapped unconscious in front of his house following a boozey weekend of grieving over his dead friend.

Street View was launched in the US in May last year and was far more controversial. Sightings included a woman exposing her g-string, a man striding into an adult bookshop and another man apparently relieving himself on the pavement.

Many of the more salacious sightings have since been removed from Google Maps after they were reported as being inappropriate.

Following the controversy in the US, Google was more careful in launching Street View in Australia, making an effort to blur faces and number plates and to take photos during hours when there were few people on the streets.

But unlike those accidentally immortalised on Street View, Hewlett and Kinsley's project should be a more permanent fixture on the site - until the next time Google updates its images.
gnat

Post by gnat »

article is cosmopolitan i read yest- how to stalk a potential fella via google earth. quotes like : what his house looks like indicates wealth etc. so fail. fukcing dumb. imagine chekcing the washing on the line blah blah=-- this is seriously the kinda stuff written. e staLK fa1L. encouraging psychos imo
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
almax

Post by almax »

gnat wrote:article is cosmopolitan i read yest- how to stalk a potential fella via google earth. quotes like : what his house looks like indicates wealth etc. so fail. fukcing dumb. imagine chekcing the washing on the line blah blah=-- this is seriously the kinda stuff written. e staLK fa1L. encouraging psychos imo
who has their washing line in the front yard where google streetview can see it? maybe in China
almax

Post by almax »

Google streetview Brazil

more crazy pics here

http://www.theage.com.au/photogallery/t ... tedImage=1
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

Fents wrote:hahaha from street maps to govt to K. top work peeps.
huge wrote:far out lol
all of the 'government is out to get us with microchips and we have to STAND UP and be active because being passive makes you a cunt who wants to microchip me' people in here ... hands up if you use gmail and facebook?

every technology has its uses, good and bad ... imagine 1970s cash-only you being told that eventually every single thing you buy will be listed with its price on a piece of paper sent to you by your bank every month. scandalous!
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
almax

Post by almax »

lol, i just bumped this thread for the new Brazil pictures, but thanks for the insight.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

yeah fair play, the brazil pictures were comedy haha
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl