Zeitgeist - Addendum (the sequel)

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
almax

Zeitgeist - Addendum (the sequel)

Post by almax »

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 1912&hl=en

So here is the actual sequel to the first, im yet to watch it, just found the link here at work today so heres what some on another forum have written about it after watching it...

"After just watching it i have to say i really enjoyed it. I thought it was much better than the first one. It starts off alittle slow but it picks up. Unlike the first one, it gives practical actions we can take to solve many problems we are facing. I think this video is gonna get major attention."

"Much different than the first one, this one concentrates more on the power of money, with very light hints into other things such as energy, oil, religion and politics. It's pretty good stuff."

"Definitely the better movie than the first one; the first one had very good stuff mixed up with garbage that ruined its credibility.

Venus project is a utopia, I am pretty sure that the society will go back to violence if the current system fails. People haven't evolved that much and primitive forces will take over. US overlords know it so they constantly working on making military as deadly as possible to be ready for the time when the shit hits the fan."
Last edited by almax on Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ghetto kitty

Re: Zeitgeist - Addendum (the sequel)

Post by ghetto kitty »

nice one al...

will check it out.
almax

Post by almax »

that was awesome! so much better than the first one, solutions, ideas, fucking great, exciting stuff, bold proposals which will be extremely difficult to execute but heres hoping it can be done. The new Utopian Atlantis perhaps...
deviant

Post by deviant »

that was very inspiring.... very well done, that guy from the venus project is awesome... what a dude

shame that the website isn't working yet :?
almax

Post by almax »

yer it will be interesting to see what this "movement" will involve, i suspect not much other than enlightening people at first, there will need to be a massive groundswell of support for the ideas first.
But it all just made sense to me while watching it, but i cant fathom how the hell any change could be made.
I guess if enough people are behind it, it will, but it will need to be a massive majority.
deviant

Post by deviant »

^^^ the thing that I can't figure out within their model is..... who are the descision makers? 6,000,000,000 people is not an easy number to manage without disagreements etc.

Also, I think their will always be meanial low-level jobs no matter how automated society becomes... He explains that a major criticism of the model is that no one has any incentive to work, but he doesn't really adequately put that criticism to rest (in my mind at least), and especially since I don't believe there would never be a situation where no boring jobs exsisted.

What about other human traites like vainity, arrogance, egotism, anger, offence, hate, etc etc?.... surely you can't put all of these thing into the "simptoms of a sick society" basket?? I want to know more about what these people have to say.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Looking forward to checking it out tonight, thanks Al
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
almax

Post by almax »

What about other human traites like vainity, arrogance, egotism, anger, offence, hate, etc etc?.... surely you can't put all of these thing into the "simptoms of a sick society" basket?? I want to know more about what these people have to say.
They wont have anything to say, they will be too busy doing the meanial low-level tasks as punishment

:teef:

but yes, a very good point and its hard to see humanity transcending all of our inbred traits, especially at first.
Also how ripped off would you fell if you have spent the past 30 years saving cash only to have it taken away as a resource!
While the film is very Venus project orientated, i dont think this is neccessarily going to be the only way to be considered, merely just the best one so far.
In terms of who makes the decisions, i would think there would be a democracy still, but instead of a corrupted one ultimately run by corporations and money, it would be more of a world parliament, much like what George Monbiot has proposed where there would be 1 representative for every 10 million people (this would transcend national borders and be more region orientated)

Its very difficult to see how it would be implemented (for me anyway) my guess is it would be brought in stages at a time, which perhaps means that we wont see it in our lifetime :(
Im hoping when the website is put up there is more of a progress map showing what directions we would need to take. Untill then im reserving my judgements.
deviant

Post by deviant »

maybe a democracy where each descision is actually voted on.... online... rather than just voting in people and leaving them to it.
almax

Post by almax »

deviant wrote:maybe a democracy where each descision is actually voted on.... online... rather than just voting in people and leaving them to it.
Yeah how good would that be, power to the people!
Still need good leaders and good policies though.
almax

Post by almax »

ok so i have been reading up a bit at the venus project website http://www.thevenusproject.com
and im starting to grasp some of the ideas.
Yes there would still be menial tasks, perhaps not as many though. I figure there will be/are some people in the world who are happy to do mundane, menial tasks for there work (like stoners) while others will want more creative and contribute on a higher scale. People will be selected for these tasks on apptitude and intelligence. Perhaps those with the worst jobs will work the least hours as compensation.
almax

Post by almax »

A resource based economyfrom the venus project website for those who have not seen the movie yet

A Resource-Based Economy is a system in which all goods and services are available without the use of money, credits, barter or any other system of debt or servitude. All resources become the common heritage of all of the inhabitants, not just a select few. The premise upon which this system is based is that the Earth is abundant with plentiful resource; our practice of rationing resources through monetary methods is irrelevant and counter productive to our survival.

Modern society has access to highly advanced technology and can make available food, clothing, housing and medical care; update our educational system; and develop a limitless supply of renewable, non-contaminating energy. By supplying an efficiently designed economy, everyone can enjoy a very high standard of living with all of the amenities of a high technological society.

A resource-based economy would utilize existing resources from the land and sea, physical equipment, industrial plants, etc. to enhance the lives of the total population. In an economy based on resources rather than money, we could easily produce all of the necessities of life and provide a high standard of living for all.
almax

Post by almax »

so thats how he gets all those fantastical ideas
deviant

Post by deviant »

yes, he is really a ferengi
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

Hmmm I have read John Perkins book. Interesting stuff..
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Watched and enjoyed. I was really surprised to see the parallels in their proposition and the one I gathered from Conversations With God III. Very similar in the no money world government theme, along with the menial tasks bit. In CWG3 it's more about certain people being happy to do certain jobs because the are a) suited to it or b) know that it would benefit all. Rather than having a path set for us by societies requirement for schooling etc, each person would do their own thing. If you're good at art, you'd be a painter as well as an artist. There would be dual or triple fold roles in society, so everyone would have a chance to try everything and no one person would be stuck with what the majority would term a shitty job (toilet cleaner etc).

But if you think about it, we already have unpaid people who clean toilets and wash vomit with a smile on their faces. They're called mothers and fathers. Maybe if we could have the same affection for everyone (as humans) and we do for our own flesh and blood, maybe cleaning toilets for Joe Blow wouldn't seem so bad.
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
deviant

Post by deviant »

mixtress wrote:But if you think about it, we already have unpaid people who clean toilets and wash vomit with a smile on their faces. They're called mothers and fathers. Maybe if we could have the same affection for everyone (as humans) and we do for our own flesh and blood, maybe cleaning toilets for Joe Blow wouldn't seem so bad.
great idea mixie!
almax

Post by almax »

nice mixxie, also if we were all brought up like people are in Japan, with pride, respect and cleanliness paramount we could keep the place clean no problem.
bop apocalypse

Post by bop apocalypse »

Hey,

Great to see this film being talked about, i only discovered it myself a month or two ago.

Zday is coming up in march and i was considering trying to organise a screening, with possibly a speaker, or maybe throw some music in, i'm not sure.

I thought maybe loop bar in the city? haven't been in touch yet though as i thought i'd scour the internet fish for some ideas first.

So, any ideas, input, suggestions?

Si.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

what is zday?
almax

Post by almax »

ghetto kitty wrote:what is zday?
March 15th, action day, for more information check out the forums on

www.thezeitgeistmovement.com
konk

Post by konk »

Anyone heard anything about your legal fiction? Thats def a thing worth looking into if you want a ticket out of this corrupt society.. Have a very open mind and check out Robert Menard on youtube.

Watch the posted video on YouTube.

PM for more videos
deviant

Post by deviant »

^^ that was awesome.... watched about 7 parts. will watch the rest tonight
GrappleWeapon

Post by GrappleWeapon »

re Z-Day
---
Hi all Melbournites.. I WANT YOU!
I have a fantastic venue in Mckillop St. which is in the heart of Melbourne- This venue is a multi-level venue- & it has a modern restaurant/function room on street level with a bar & a massive video projector. It can fit upto 200+ people! Further more, the venue also has a 50 SEAT MINI CINEMA!!! I think this will be the perfect meeting place not only for the above reasons BUT! It is Private! Thus we can talk & do as we please- It is Central! It has a kitchen & 24hr licence!!! The owner is a very close friend of mine! My name is Moritz.. My email is [email protected] & my phone number is 0432219690- please sms me your emails! I shall forward to you all the details.. I need people to contact me- thus we can go to the venue & start planing for the 15th of March- I ask that you please cut & paste this message & promote it!
---
Hi everyone,

in addition to this both Moritz and myself (Nick) will be going to Glitch Bar at 7:30pm on the 18th of Feb (a Wednesday) for a Z-day meeting.. feel free to join us and see what it's all about.

check it out at
http://spiritualcinema.wordpress.com/

- that evening is a screening of Zeitgeist Addendum $15 + free drink 7pm -930 (the meeting is separate)

Cheers

Nick

318 St George Rd, North Fitzroy... They are
almax

Post by almax »

hey mate, saw your post on the zeitgeist forum but for some reason i cant get a username for the forum.
Whats the deal with charging people to watch the movie $15 seems a bit steep.
I would have thought you would be encouraging people to watch it.