US Election - Nov 4, 2008

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
DBoy

US Election - Nov 4, 2008

Post by DBoy »

BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND

ot sure if there was a topic on this already.

Unfortunatley what happens in these elections does effecr us, no doubt about it. I am of the belief that this election will play a major role, if not only symbolically, in the end of the American Era. George W Bush is going to be remembered as last leader of the American Empire. And America will be remembered as the first Empire of the truely global community. England may be remembered for creating many of the foundations of this empire, but it was the US that embrassed it and influenced it until all had been brought "on line" (so to speak).

Empires in the past have been remembered for different things, creating styles of logic for example or particular cultural traits. They have been remembered for being great conquerers, or caring about speading their religion. They have been founded on the dreams of a few and built to replicate those dreams. What then is America's legacy? Well it's just that, the American Dream. And what is the American Dream, well, it's selfishness. It is MY home, MY fence, MY family, MY MONEY. What are the symbols of this era? Hollywood for one. Corporations are another. The only real great cultural impact, in my opinion, is some of the music that has been created. Other than that, lets say jazz and other African American born styles, the US and the American era has not given us anything that I would call a legacy to be proud of.

And that is what why we are where we are now. The era of greed has lead us to this point. Not that this is anyone’s fault, it is an era that pays respect to many eras before it, and given all those things those eras have represented and created, it is no wonder we have arrived at this point. But no one is doubting that this era is in it's death throws.

So, the election. Well let's treat it like a symbol. It's likely to be a farse. The world will watch as superficial and empty promises are thrown around in a media frenzy and as the legal system is brought into the fray as case after case is brought to the courts because of tampering, allegations, miscounting, fraud, personal law suits. Heck, it's already started...
Wikipedia wrote:
The issues of caging lists and other techniques of voter suppression which gave rise to many 2004 United States election voting controversies have not been addressed by further legislation or a regulatory crackdown, and are predicted by Greg Palast (a reporter who has investigated these controversies) to recur to the extent that they could swing the result.

Voter list purges using unlawful criteria threaten election integrity in at least six swing states: Colorado, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, Nevada and North Carolina.

It just feels to me like this may be the straw that breaks the one legged wolves back and leaves it open for the circling hawks to come get a fed. Something is going to come out in the wash, and it ain't going to be pretty.

Hang on tight, it is going to be a interesting ride.

In my opinion.
Last edited by DBoy on Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
youthful_implants

Re: US election - Nov 4, 2008.

Post by youthful_implants »

Yep its going to be fun! ;)
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
almax

Re: US election - Nov 4, 2008.

Post by almax »

Doesn't matter which puppet wins, the government still gets in.
I hope Obama does though, but then he will probably get shot anywho.
almax

Re: edit

Post by almax »

ha Dboy
I KNOW YOUR VIEWS PAY ME $$$ OR I SHALL POST THE QUOTE
almax

Post by almax »

:teef:
almax

Post by almax »

brushteeth
Last edited by almax on Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
deviant

Post by deviant »

edit: will read again

or maybe not
nic

Re: US Election - Nov 4, 2008

Post by nic »

I accidentally the whole election
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

nic wrote:I accidentally the whole election
:lol:
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Obama FTW.
and i can hope that he wont go the way of JFK but it is pretty likely.

i jsut hope that this election brings the minorities to the booths, and shows them that they do in fact, have a voice.

if it isnt rigged this time, that is.

right now is one of the most intersting times in US politics, and suddenly everyone is reaslising how it does actually effect them, even in other countries.
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

very interesting times indeed.
please please please get it right America.

lol @ the age.

(even more lol @ McCain tbh)
lynt

Post by lynt »

same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

notsafeforworklyntisbreakingtheinternets
lynt

Post by lynt »

NO WAE
mrj

Post by mrj »

Elections really don't get any more symbolic than this do they. A young(er) black guy up against an old white guy. Whatever the result there will be one hell of a battle following, there is no such thing as an uncontested election these days.

Colin Powell crossing the floor speaks volumes, a former Republican Secretary of State endorsing a Democratic Candidate? HOLY SHIT!!!!! That shows how topsy turvy this whole thing has gone.

People are acting like its a done deal, its not. Races always tighten towards the end. All it takes is one big national security event and a whole bunch of voters will swing back to Republicans plus energise their base.

In America voting is not mandatory, so getting people to turn up is just as important as getting them to vote your way. The Democrats have had a dream run with all these domestic issues in play as they get to talk to the issues that concern their support base therefore increasing likely Democrat turnout. But like I said all it takes is one big national security issue and the Republicans will turn out in droves and then its a real ball game.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
nic

Post by nic »

i hope obama wins - solid trustworthy nice guy (appears to be). wouldnt be surprised if Mccain does though, i think its still close. maybe having a decent alternative this election will entice non voters to actually vote.
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

I find it REALLY, REALLY hard to believe that anyone who hasn't been labotomised would vote for McCain & Palin to run their country
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

breaksRbest wrote:labotomised
the bible belt may as well be man.

they is scared of younguns who have never been in a war, niggerz and white teef.

;)
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

I wish it was just the 'bible belt'

Close to 50% of Americans will vote for these jokers, that's over 150 MILLION people walking around with absolutely no sign of brain activity.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

i was bein silly.

i know mate.
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

lynt wrote:NO WAE
WAE

nah but seriously if mcain wins atleast we will have pailin providing letterman with jokes for the next 3 or so years.

or are they in for 4 over there?
deviant

Post by deviant »

nic wrote:Image.
this is what Obama looks like under his suit.... full gangster imo
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

sAme'0 wrote: nah but seriously if mcain wins atleast we will have pailin providing letterman with jokes for the next 3 or so years.

maybe that's it, these brain dead fucktards actually think they're voting for David Letterman & Tina Fey

Post by 10.15 »

Colin Powell on Meet The Press last week: http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=3ImjcoCmC-M

At 2.40 he say that there is "a crisis coming that we don't know about on January 21 or 22 (new president inaugurated on Jan 20). wtf.

That on top of Biden saying this just days ago:
"Remember I said it standing here," Biden said. "If you don't remember anything else I'd said, watch. We're going to have an international crisis, a generated crisis, to test the mettle of this guy." As if that weren't enough, Biden went on to say that it would not be readily apparent that Obama's response would be the correct one and urged supporters to stand by him even in doubt.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfg ... y_id=31736

Sat 1st May: TREVOR LOVEYS (UK)
Sun 30th May: OXIA (8BIT RECS - FRANCE)
http://the-late-show.blogspot.com/
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

breaksRbest wrote:
sAme'0 wrote: nah but seriously if mcain wins atleast we will have pailin providing letterman with jokes for the next 3 or so years.

maybe that's it, these brain dead fucktards actually think they're voting for David Letterman & Tina Fey
i think we are onto sumfin.
mrj

Post by mrj »

10.15 wrote:Colin Powell on Meet The Press last week: http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=3ImjcoCmC-M

At 2.40 he say that there is "a crisis coming that we don't know about on January 21 or 22 (new president inaugurated on Jan 20). wtf.

"Remember I said it standing here," Biden said. "If you don't remember anything else I'd said, watch. We're going to have an international crisis, a generated crisis, to test the mettle of this guy." As if that weren't enough, Biden went on to say that it would not be readily apparent that Obama's response would be the correct one and urged supporters to stand by him even in doubt.

um.............thats hella scary. what they hell could they be alluding to. remind me to have no money in the market on 21/01/09.

any guesses.

maybe the world is going to decouple from the US currency standard and go back to the gold standard (overdue imo).
dust

Post by dust »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/oc ... arackobama

The American Evangelists talking about an Obama win. Will change things dramatically for them if the democrats win, as they lose their influence over policy etc.

The religious right will all vote for McCain and there are loads of them in the US.

The Guardian online has really good election coverage for those interested.
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

I think its a little stupid boiling voters against obama down to idiots and racists. People might not agree with his taxation policy for example.

Post by 10.15 »

mrj wrote:
10.15 wrote:Colin Powell on Meet The Press last week: http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=3ImjcoCmC-M

um.............thats hella scary. what they hell could they be alluding to. remind me to have no money in the market on 21/01/09.

any guesses.

maybe the world is going to decouple from the US currency standard and go back to the gold standard (overdue imo).
Plenty of guesses. No positive ones though :(
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

FoundationStepper wrote:I think its a little stupid boiling voters against obama down to idiots and racists. People might not agree with his taxation policy for example.

yeah whatevs. You show me one single person that isn't voting for Obama coz of his Tax policy & I'll show you 100 who won't just because of his surname

that's both idiotic AND racist imo
deviant

Post by deviant »

FoundationStepper wrote:FoundationStepper

same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

deviant wrote:

FUCKEN LOL
FoundationStepper

breaksRbest wrote:yeah whatevs. You show me one single person that isn't voting for Obama coz of his Tax policy & I'll show you 100 who won't just because of his surname

that's both idiotic AND racist imo
I dont think those people are the swinging voters who decide elections. There will always be people voting on party lines but the people in the middle decide the outcome. My impression is that over here it goes down to the handout mentaility - over there moreso on personality i imagine. Obamba obviously takes the pip on that but he isn't univerally adulated, and those critical of him do sometimes have logical reasons.

There are plenty of conservative commentators who take issue with statements by obama on foreign policy, taxation etc. They say he is inconsistent, confused between being a pushover and being hawkish on other countries, that his taxation policy is geared to reduce growth. Some people do read this stuff and consider these elements. They aren't the traditional voter base for either side but I dont think they are an insignificant part of the swinging part of the electorate.
mrj

Post by mrj »

10.15 wrote:
mrj wrote:

any guesses.

Plenty of guesses. No positive ones though :(
yeh whatever it is will probably suck. a lot.

altho we should keep in mind that they see World Crisis and US Crisis as perfectly interchangable terms. we could be fine yanno.

but probably not.
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

dust wrote:http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/oc ... arackobama

The American Evangelists talking about an Obama win. Will change things dramatically for them if the democrats win, as they lose their influence over policy etc.

The religious right will all vote for McCain and there are loads of them in the US.

The Guardian online has really good election coverage for those interested.
Apparently the only reason McCain chose Palin as his running mate was due to pressure from the anti-abortion lobby. Basically gave him an ultimatum saying that they would pull all their support if he chose anyone else. Yay for democracy. :?
FoundationStepper

in a perverse way, it kind of is an excersise in democracy though - palin fired up thier traditional support base, which was losing interest as mccain was too progressive for them. like it or not, the anti abortion lobby have views shared by a shedload of fundie americans. if that was the view of the majority of americans, then it would be approproaite to have legislators who share that view, no? i mean we have sharia law in the middle east, stupid as we may think it is (and yet it may well be imposed), it could be seen to fit the demographic
mrj

Post by mrj »

The problem tho is that it is not the view of the majority of Americans. 60% of Amercians are pro choice.

Not all Republicans are Pro-Life. But they can't win without the Religious Right so they have to be the Pro-Life party.
FoundationStepper

so people might vote republican on social or economic issues. same for democrat. same for lib and lab here. far from perfect. its funny though that these spectrums all end up correlating (e.g. social conservative, economic rationalist).

i was thinking about the potenital fora nationals/labor merger in the recent WA elections. socially the parties are ages apart - but economically quite similar in a lot of ways (very protectionist/subsidy focused for example)
retzie

Post by retzie »

breaksRbest wrote:I find it REALLY, REALLY hard to believe that anyone who hasn't been labotomised would vote for McCain & Palin to run their country
Wandering around campus here, there are seriously "Nobama" chalkings :puke:. These are young, educated Americans and the wee fuckers are as Republican as they come..... :?

Soooooooooooo glad I'll be in California for the day itself. Dun think I could even pretend to be professional if I were faced with a roomfull of my own students in Republican colours.
deviant wrote:I'm some sort of man-machine.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

http://news.theage.com.au/world/alqaeda ... -563v.html

Post by 10.15 »

mrj wrote:yeh whatever it is will probably suck. a lot.

altho we should keep in mind that they see World Crisis and US Crisis as perfectly interchangable terms. we could be fine yanno.

but probably not.
Ya. When Mark Textor is breaking out the rant I'd say we got ourselves a problem.
nic

Post by nic »

deviant wrote:

hay i forgot about that one!

Post by 10.15 »

Ah sinfest. ROFL.

http://www.sinfest.net/
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
almax

Post by almax »

DBoy

Post by DBoy »

I am so sick of hearing snippets of speeches which don't actually promise anything, but just seem to use power words to incite cheering from the crowd. I can not actually figure what either of them actually stands for. What is this change they talk off?
FoundationStepper

The change they stand for - geddit now?
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

ahhh, knew the answer was in the question somewhere!
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Politics is the art of saying nothing but making it sound like everything. Did John Howard ever give a straight answer?? I can't stand to watch the American's doing their speeches, it's so frustrating. The crowd responds like fucking sheep, no matter what the candidate says.

Candidate: Hi there America
Crowd: YAY!
Candidate: It's great to be here in Asshole County
Candidate: I wanna support...
Candidate:...you hard working folk...
Candidate:...and do the best job I can.
Crowd: YAY!!!

:roll:

I watched a couple interviews from the Bible Belt (couldn't find the link, sorry) where 95% of the people they interviewed were against Obama...and for the most pathetic of reasons. His last name, he's black, he's too young...are you FUCKING SERIOUS!!?? :?
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive