First rave .....Clubbing experience ...

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
razyier

Re: First rave .....Clubbing experience ...

Post by razyier »

evol intent @ brown alley 2005 *ruins thread* :teeeef:
was 17 at the time, rocked up with a mate 30 minutes before the door opened hoping that we would get in somehow - lucky the bouncers hadn't shown up yet!~ was around the time i discovered pings, i remember running around hugging as many randoms as i could

really REALLY wished i could've experienced the earlier days, the docks esp would've been wicked - actually came across a doco on youtube today which had clips from the grooverider gig at salt, and a few other things - massive crowds! *__*
kronz
Location: so a family walks into a talent agent and the talent agent says "what's your act"?

Post by kronz »

Change thread title to
'old jaded ravers become nostalgic'
GO CATS! GO CATS!
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

:lol:
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

'Wicked' in SF, circa 98-99. Doc Martin, Jeno, Garth n Markey (not the dnb version) droppin phat deep house n breaks. Some crazy warehouse (though it might have been a dingy club I'd never heard of that looked like a warehouse) in the dodgiest area of town, which was apparently too "up-scale" for my seasoned mates who took me. First time I partook n a mate talked me into sittin in a speaker cabinet cuz it was the thing to do...hearing aint been the same since. Good night, packed but not too packed, awesome decor (candles everywhere) n perfect sound. Watched the sun come up over the bay in the morning and listened to Journey's Greatest Hits on the drive back to San Jo. I was hooked.
Last edited by obliveus on Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kronz
Location: so a family walks into a talent agent and the talent agent says "what's your act"?

Post by kronz »

razyier wrote: youtube today which had clips from the grooverider gig at salt
link or stfu
GO CATS! GO CATS!
tee193

Post by tee193 »

shit what i'd do to see a dnb gig these days with 3000 people.

and possibly warren g playing at a dnb gig haha
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

tee193 wrote:and possibly warren g playing at a dnb gig haha
the DNB or hip-hop Warren G? :wink:
razyier

Post by razyier »

kronz wrote:
link or stfu
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=LEiT84BJHJw

looks HUGE - who are the cats talking anyway? still around?
Fents

Post by Fents »

razyier wrote:
kronz wrote:
link or stfu
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=LEiT84BJHJw

looks HUGE - who are the cats talking anyway? still around?
so many memories in that doco!

the dudes talking are the original old schoolers..1LC, Ruxspin, Trooper, Neptune, Atom 1, Rollin and a whole heap of others. These guys imo made dnb gigs what they are today. be very thankfull we had these guys around
Fents

Post by Fents »

ahhh the SS and WarrenG gig at POW where managment had to rip the power cords out to stop them playing at like 6 in the morning...hands up?!
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

I miss 1LC sets

he got me into d'n'b
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
NakedAge

Post by NakedAge »

I don't know if it counts, but Coburg Festa years and years ago.

Robert Anthony & Seratone played a Techno sett and yeah.. I was like a potato in an exauhst pipe after that
FOREST LIAM

Post by FOREST LIAM »

think its gq at the salt one with grooverider - another ggod one was night before 99 grand final between north and carlton, some dude came down straight after work in suit and tie by the end he was dancing on a platform in undies and a singlet. can't remeber where or who was on, somewhere in town...
aroes

Post by aroes »

A balmy summer's night at the old Scu, a Just Rite night
Think it was 2002????
I was a 17yo heavy metal kid
Walked down those rickety old stairs, heard the most wikkid sound ever and saw about 100 peeps raving their asses off
Asked my mate "what the fuck do they call this shit?"
He said drum and bass
Hooked ever since
Fents

Post by Fents »

FOREST LIAM wrote:think its gq at the salt one with grooverider - another ggod one was night before 99 grand final between north and carlton, some dude came down straight after work in suit and tie by the end he was dancing on a platform in undies and a singlet. can't remeber where or who was on, somewhere in town...
think that was upstairs at the old tatto club yea? up thos huge amount of stairs and there was booths around the bar and the dancefloor was sort of in another room..vaugue memories of that guy in his jocks losing it to bailey i think.
kronz

Post by kronz »

FOREST LIAM wrote:think its gq at the salt one with grooverider - another ggod one was night before 99 grand final between north and carlton, some dude came down straight after work in suit and tie by the end he was dancing on a platform in undies and a singlet. can't remeber where or who was on, somewhere in town...
In the midnight in melbourne video it's GQ with Grooverider but i dont believe that is the actual sound from the night. I am sure Warren G never showed up but then again my memory might be a little off after that night, it was a smasher.
GO CATS! GO CATS!
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

first rave prolly "every picture tells a story #2", first club night might have been "whizz" or "pure" (before it was at the back of the palace). not sure. good times.
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
FliP

Post by FliP »

after a few warehouse parties and boiler rooms the first big rave was Hardware @ Kryal..

Probably the first time i heard big main festival techno - I remember Patrick Lindsay banging out 'RhythmKillaz - Wack Ass MF' to the whole packed castle at about 3am thinking.. holy fuck! i've struck gold here :D
spent the rest of the night smoking bifta's trying to figure out what drum and bass was watching the usual suspects in a tiny rotunda..

the next was WOTW2038.. main room madness with richie hawtin and what seemed like a million dollars worth of lasers.. mezmerized.
struck gold again..!

..but you can never go back :cry:
spin

Post by spin »

bit of a blur now, i remember prodigy tour in 92, i also remember grooverider, rap, dr s gashet, ratty, lenny dee around that time...

first one my mates older brothers had to many tickets and gave us a couple, we took acid... i was into death metal and really enjoyed dancing around with girls in lycra instead of stinky men, lots of blurry warehouses and lasers...

prob the reason im on this forum today, so much fun and silly dancing, the shuffle looks quite smart compared to what we were doing in sydney back then...

once i was gonna gurn/puke in a tent right up the front neckin allsorts of bits n peices with 10000 between me and the exit, i tried to slide under the side of the tent and got my head stuck outside the party coverd in spew while my body was up the front in the middle of apoclyptic rave madness... goodtimes
ANYTHING:TEST
BOB DEEP
WOBBLE
REVOLVER
BLACK CAT
http://gutterhype.blogspot.com/
menace

Post by menace »

spin wrote:, the shuffle looks quite smart compared to what we were doing in sydney back then...
:scr1pt:

good thread this read again tbh

some of the best raves i went to where at shed 13 flower centre the bowl gobal village altona and some warhouse partys in port melbourne and spencer street .

hardware partys where kings back in the day

:smt007 loved a good rave

Clubs :teriyaki's Filter deluxe

good pingzass clubs

some fav local dj's where rudeboy jeff tyler and simon coyle

first breaks gig was soul of man downstairs at colonial with ben sims upstairs

special mention to carl cox jeff mills cj bolland tommy schumacher

Good times :3some:
gnat

Post by gnat »

lol rudeboy is he still kicking?
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
spiral

Post by spiral »

first sydney rave regent st top of broadway bedlam sound system 99
first melbourne club n rave .. virus sound system geddes lane and various virus warehouse parties 00
Fents

Post by Fents »

spiral wrote:first sydney rave regent st top of broadway bedlam sound system 99
first melbourne club n rave .. virus sound system geddes lane and various virus warehouse parties 00
do you remember a guy called Pang (greg)? gave me my first ever gig at geddes lane.
aroes

Post by aroes »

Does Geddes Lane still exist?? (the venue, not the lane)
Been to some rawkus parties there over the years
Small dingey joint and possibly the most poorly stocked bar in melbs, but fuck i've had some good times there
I think it used to be owned by the same mob who ran Inflation???????
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

i think it was school of thought at the lounge.

dont remember what year but i was underage.

first dnb party i went to was either spin dry at laundry or blazin at the lounge
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

Fents wrote:
the dudes talking are the original old schoolers..1LC, Ruxspin, Trooper, Neptune, Atom 1, Rollin and a whole heap of others. These guys imo made dnb gigs what they are today. be very thankfull we had these guys around

full on, massive respect.
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

-aroes- wrote:A balmy summer's night at the old Scu, a Just Rite night
Think it was 2002????
Walked down those rickety old stairs, heard the most wikkid sound ever and saw about 100 peeps raving their asses off
He said drum and bass
Hooked ever since
:smt003 fuckin' ay. Scubar = happiest DJ'ing memories ever, got bigger and better every fucking week.
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Scubar/Just Rite was the business.

Such a memorable (albeit forgettable) period of my life.
NakedAge

Post by NakedAge »

-aroes- wrote:A balmy summer's night at the old Scu, a Just Rite night
Think it was 2002????
He said drum and bass
Hooked ever since

You know what man. I remember a similar scenario, also 2002.

It was my graduation night of highschool, and we had a graduation dinner and it was the last time we ever had to see the teachers again. I was 17, but, I'd been going to day festivals and shit. Little all age events in the parks and stuff.
Anyways, so, dinners coming to an end, and we fucked off early.... We were in trouble for leaving early, leaving our parents there and shit but fucken, we didn't care we never had to see the dump again. November 2002, go to the old Scu bar.

We were scared I wouldn't get in, fucken, $5 entry. $5!!! You don't get prices that good anymore. Went down the stairs, this Dj's playing electro. But, not the fucking, M.O.S. shit of today, the old school bubble gum elastic band shit. I was never a fan of Electro. Never. But for that night, I loved it.

There was us 4 guys and a group of girls. Older girls, and, that was it. Venue was empty, they were looking and stuff, we were all young and shit, thinking with our dicks, and, wouldn't you know it nothing happend :D

But, being in that venue, that night, sipping a Vodka rasberry, with, maybe 7 other people, just fucken relaxing to this electro, well, I've never forgotten it.

Now days if people had walked into a situation like that they'd of said "it was empty how fucking shit" but, back then, it was an appreciation for where you were and who you were with. I'll never forget the old Scu bar... Ok... I'll admit I've forgotten where it was, but, I'll never forget that night. Just, graduating, then walking into that scenario, it was like walking straight into the direction I wanted my life to take. Out of education, into a club.
aroes

Post by aroes »

deep
RGLZ

Post by RGLZ »

Yeah, what was that shite?!
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

menace wrote:first breaks gig was soul of man downstairs at colonial with ben sims upstairs
That was my first breaks gig, too. I was like WTF??? I need to start playin this type of music.

8)
deviant

Post by deviant »

some warehouse party in Tassie (circa 1995) then some outdoor doof (also in Tassie) around 1997/8..... gave it a rest for a good number of years. Had a few random drunken evenings where we'd end up in clubs.. But during that time I was a Jazz muso, my electronic music listening was all IDM, Warp/ninja tune etc etc... never really ventured into club music that much. Until I saw Thomas Schumacher in June 2002 at QBH and had my first pingah.

After that it was all on... I went to heaps and heaps of different things, two tribes, gods kitchen, 33 1/3, scubar, lounge (mainly filter), salt, etc etc... decided I wanted to start DJing, it was a hard choice to know what to play as I really did like most genres, techno, trance, DnB, Breaks, house etc etc ALL OF IT.

goog times
quick

Post by quick »

RGLZ wrote:Yeah, what was that shite?!
lol

:scr1pt:

wtf?
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
nic

Post by nic »

goog times, goog times.
quick

Post by quick »

nic wrote:goog times, goog times.
yes, but when and where?

explain and try and create an image of this moment... were there girls? where u young and stupid? did u think of your parents?
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
RGLZ

Post by RGLZ »

Laughterfromme
menace

Post by menace »

obliveus wrote:
menace wrote:first breaks gig was soul of man downstairs at colonial with ben sims upstairs
That was my first breaks gig, too. I was like WTF??? I need to start playin this type of music.

8)

:smt060
was best ... at there time there for a breaks bootleg floating ab " man from down under " lolz is my memory serve s me right
breaks where much slower then better to get ya groove on :angel3:
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

-aroes- wrote:deep
nah, not deep.

he's 'underground'

:roll: ;)
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

menace wrote:
obliveus wrote:

8)

:smt060
was best ... at there time there for a breaks bootleg floating ab " man from down under " lolz is my memory serve s me right
breaks where much slower then better to get ya groove on :angel3:
From memory that room was actually called the 33 1/3 room at the Ben Sims party, was the beginning of the party having Agent Mad doing breaks tours under that name. Was a dope night actually.

First taste of breaks outside of Perveyors local players was Freestylers at NYE 08/09 i think, Halcyon Nights at Old REB. They dropped "going to party like it is 1999" around midnight and place went crazy.
Fents

Post by Fents »

Speaking of halcyon nights....doc scott and someone else cant remember! and they had this pissy curtain separting the dnb room from the main room...i tied my jumper onto one of those grand stand seats so it wouldnt get lost and someone spewed all over it and noahs jacket as well.

lost my shit to groove armada that night too.
Smile on Impact

Post by Smile on Impact »

ghetto kitty wrote:
he's 'underground'

Just what does that mean anyway?

:?
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Aah the ol' ostracise and gang up goodtimes...
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Smile on Impact wrote: Just what does that mean anyway?

:?
twas a joke relating to some other thread we wont mention arlo...

nobody is 'ganging up' direkt, i was making a JOKE eGADS!

:roll:
Smile on Impact

Direkt wrote:Aah the ol' ostracise and gang up goodtimes...

yeah.... As a JOKE, sir !
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Kitty - there were 3 people before you who had a sly dig about a certain new members post in this thread.

This dude is new here, and I just don't think it's fair when people gang up on new members.

Maybe you're making a joke, but it's been pretty clear you've got something against this dude from day 1 (right or wrong).... you can hardly blame me for thinking ill of your intentions.

Am I wrong to think this?

No offence intended.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Direkt wrote: I just don't think it's fair when people gang up on new members.
but its okay to gang up on old ones right?

i cant speak for the other three people, but i was making a joke, due to the fact that Nakedage and I knew each other and discussed 'the underground' BEFORE he was here.

:overthemoralpolice:

:angel13:
Smile on Impact

Direkt wrote:Kitty - there were 3 people before you who had a sly dig about a certain new members post in this thread.

This dude is new here, and I just don't think it's fair when people gang up on new members.

Maybe you're making a joke, but it's been pretty clear you've got something against this dude from day 1 (right or wrong).... you can hardly blame me for thinking ill of your intentions.

Am I wrong to think this?

No offence intended

why don't you marry him, if you love him so much
?

:teef:
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Jesus Christ GK!

Did I say it's okay to gang up on anybody?

Did I even mention your name in my post you took objection to?

Excusing me for standing up for my principles in the interest of defending someone I thought was being attacked.

Hell, I've done the same for you before.
Smile on Impact

oh I just relised that i PM'd Direkt thinking he was talking to me !

:tard:

sorry for the thread/ attention hijack !