Martial Arts - close to city

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
FoundationStepper

Re: Martial Arts - close to city

Post by FoundationStepper »

Well found a place im intending to check out tomorrow.

http://www.ziranmen.com/main/main.php

I like the look of what they emphasise on their site - including styles focused on qi awareness (again the 'fight stuff' is secondary for me - im after something just more dynamic than qi gong)

plus the guy looks pretty bonafide in terms of lineage and been around a bit

a lot of the sites - yeah like anyone can become and instructor, without real credential

GH, heard of this place?
Kaiproject

Post by Kaiproject »

did wing chun at rmit for a bit

enjoyable for a while but then upon realisation of the amount of time/effort/repetition involved to get any good i gave up pretty quick. red belts have been doing it for 3-4 yrs 3-4 sessions a week f that....
mrj

Post by mrj »

anybody really wanting to learn how to defend themselves should try the new sport of the russel rush.

tie a one hundred dollar note around your neck and then walk down russell st at 11.30 on Friday night. the goal is to reach the other end of russell still carrying the 100. You will very quickly learn to defend yourself against multiple opponents.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
Gliding High
Location: Little Evil's evil cave, 666 Nasty St, Horribleville

Post by Gliding High »

FoundationStepper wrote:Well found a place im intending to check out tomorrow.

I like the look of what they emphasise on their site - including styles focused on qi awareness (again the 'fight stuff' is secondary for me - im after something just more dynamic than qi gong)

a lot of the sites - yeah like anyone can become and instructor, without real credential

GH, heard of this place?
Sorry mate - would help you if I could - but I know very little about Chinese martial arts.
Personally, I've never heard of that place, or instructor before.
Give it a go I guess - just don't sign anything until your sure it's the real deal 8)
retzie

Post by retzie »

FS - my 2c when it comes to choosing a martial arts school:

* Go to a trial lesson. If they make you sign up and pay, or only let you watch, don't bother - there is no way you can decide until you've participated. I'd also go to more than one school, just so you get a feel for the many permutations out there.

* Do you feel safe at all times? Everyone focuses on sparring, but the bit where you're holding a pad for someone else to hit can be the killer. I know of people who have trashed their shoulders just doing this. A good school will pay as much attention to you holding the pad safely, as the person doing the hitting. Look for: no locked joints, and giving as full a range of the joint as possible eg. holding the pad directly in front of you (see Ecky Thump above), as opposed to next to your own shoulder.

* Does the overall 'vibe' work for you? I have walked out of a trial lesson because of the stupidly blokey atmosphere. Yes, you should be prepared to get hit during martial arts training, but the 'asserting dominance by punching in face' school of instruction doesn't work for me at all. The approach the instructor takes has an overwhelming influence over how the other students will conduct themselves.

Hope that place has got the goods :)

Oh and GH, I think way back in 1973 I was telling you about a mixed art school in Adelaide? Well, this is it.
deviant wrote:I'm some sort of man-machine.
Gliding High

Post by Gliding High »

retzie wrote:
Oh and GH, I think way back in 1973 I was telling you about a mixed art school in Adelaide? Well, this is it.
That's Krav Maga - the Israeli fighting art - I've done some of it - it is as brutal as it gets.
I'm talking half a dozen dudes jumping on you, and you having to fight your way out at any cost.
They used to teach it at my old BJJ center.
I find people who do that sort of thing for prolonged amounts of time usually have gun turrets fitted to the tops of their houses, or have an AK under the bed, waiting for the 'invasion' :lol:
No, seriously - it works, Krav Maga.

Did we know eachother in 1973? I was still a foetus. A clued in foetus definately, but a foetus undoubtedly :lol:
retzie

Post by retzie »

Dunno why they've made the site look like it's just Krav Maga... Keep looking - it gets much more interesting 8)

Graham started out in Wing Chun, which is why I know him. I've done some of his seminars on knife attacks, ground fighting, doce pares... He's basically taken the best style for any given situation and melded them all together. He is still the hardest cunt I've ever met.

Yeah, random gig convo in 1973... or thereabouts... :teef:
deviant wrote:I'm some sort of man-machine.
Coco Grimes

Post by Coco Grimes »

Banana Alley......come down to get your fillings knocked out
MY BEDROOM IS PAINTED RED. ITS A HORRIBLY VIOLENT SHADE OF RED BUT I'M AFRAID TO CHANGE IT BECAUSE I FEEL I MIGHT MAKE LESS AGGRESSIVE MUSIC IF I DO.
FoundationStepper

Hey thanks to everyone for the help

Really pleased with the place - a good balance of striking practice, chi awareness and fitness with authentic trainer and nice atmosphere

perfect for me! going there weekly now, general training a ba gua
aroes

Post by aroes »

Gliding High wrote:Thought maybe I could swing someone here - but good luck in whatever you do guys :)
I'm swung
Started training with Dave at Technique Jiu Jitsu in Bayswater today........although I know it's gonna be a long and painful road, I can really see myself getting serious about BJJ, even at this very early stage
I don't EVER wanna get into a fight, but tbh I'm sick of clamming up and shitting myself every time some fuck head gets aggressive, whether it be towards me or those around me.
Signed on for one private session per week, and access to training whenever the gym is open

8)
Gliding High

Post by Gliding High »

-aroes- wrote:
Gliding High wrote:Thought maybe I could swing someone here - but good luck in whatever you do guys :)
I'm swung
Started training with Dave at Technique Jiu Jitsu in Bayswater today........although I know it's gonna be a long and painful road, I can really see myself getting serious about BJJ, even at this very early stage
I don't EVER wanna get into a fight, but tbh I'm sick of clamming up and shitting myself every time some fuck head gets aggressive, whether it be towards me or those around me.
Signed on for one private session per week, and access to training whenever the gym is open

8)
Dave teaches the same Jiu Jitsu as I learn, and he is one tough knowledgable dude - he wears a black belt in Machado BJJ, and that is pretty much top of the food chain.
He used to be one of my instructors when I did BJJ when I was younger -he was a purple belt then I think (It takes at least 10 years to get a black belt in BJJ)
He's brutal, but he's fair.
Good luck. You've made a great decision for yourself - in 6 weeks (if you train hard) you'll be pulling your first submissions on a regular basis, and getting a feel for things.
It's tough, and some days you feel it's just too much - but keep pushing, it is a highly rewarding, and extremely effective sport :)
aroes

Post by aroes »

thanks for the encouraging words mate
i'll get back to you in a month or so and let you know how things are going
got my second private session tomorow morning

early days
L-J

Post by L-J »

Are there any BJJ venues in the city, Northern or Western suburbs?
The South East Connection-Every Sat 9am-11am GMT+1 8pm-10pm GMT+10
Big Tings-24th Oct With Coki, Loefah, Mj Cole and Zed Bias @ Roxannes
Branded Beats- 6th Nov @ Mercat
L-J

Post by L-J »

rad, thanks
The South East Connection-Every Sat 9am-11am GMT+1 8pm-10pm GMT+10
Big Tings-24th Oct With Coki, Loefah, Mj Cole and Zed Bias @ Roxannes
Branded Beats- 6th Nov @ Mercat
mantis

Post by mantis »

Try to attend SSBD seminar next year.

Guru Maul come to Melbourne every year for seminar, and he has amazing skills.

Not really for the sports side of the Martial arts!!

I love to train in traditional martial arts!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrRo-Nw0 ... annel_page
mantis

Post by mantis »

FoundationStepper wrote:Well found a place im intending to check out tomorrow.

GH, heard of this place?

Master Liu Deming is really amazing with teaching and his martial skills.

He exhibits joy, grace and poise in his movement. The sign of a rare master.

I have seen and trained with many martial artist but he is on completely another level. You just to give bit time until you physical and mental level can reach certain level to go through his training.

he is very much into Internal Martial arts. He believes in training not muscles but also internal such as spine energy and Qi energy Spirit.

and the sessions are great, very relaxed, you ca have good fun, laugh during the session and he is very friendly.

Wish I could continue for more training!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9Jj-eJ ... PL&index=8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWPPYsc-zpo
Gliding High

Post by Gliding High »

L-J wrote:Are there any BJJ venues in the city, Northern or Western suburbs?

www.renegademma.com.au
FoundationStepper

mantis wrote: Master Liu Deming is really amazing with teaching and his martial skills.

He exhibits joy, grace and poise in his movement. The sign of a rare master.

I have seen and trained with many martial artist but he is on completely another level. You just to give bit time until you physical and mental level can reach certain level to go through his training.

he is very much into Internal Martial arts. He believes in training not muscles but also internal such as spine energy and Qi energy Spirit.

and the sessions are great, very relaxed, you ca have good fun, laugh during the session and he is very friendly.
Yeah I've been getting so much out of training this past year and a bit - internal bagua training and so fuifulling ... love it. master liu is a legend
Gliding High

Post by Gliding High »

Sounds good, even tho I don't know what that is - 'bagua'
I'm open to anything tho.

I just like choking people in elaborate and effective ways :)
It brings me inner peace.
And renegademma.com.au is where I get to do that.
Machado BJJ, MMA, Circuit training, Greco and Freetsyle wrestling. Muay Thai coming soon. Day classes starting on the 2nd of Aug. Full weights gym and bag area. 180 square metres of Olympic mats.
Best of the best instructing you on the mats every night.

http://www.renegademma.com.au

Address is Unit 3, 60 Stubbs St Kensington (Next to Middy's electrical)

FoundationStepper

well ba gua is nothing like that. moving meditation and chi building really, with martial application there but not immediate (i.e. would be useful in a fight but not for years). but it suits my temprament and aims.

its like a martial form of qi gong, focused on energy and internal cleansing/strength, but with a more overt fighting application. But basically worlds away from the sort of stuff you are into.
FoundationStepper

did some ba gua training in Beijing with a Master there with a real martial/fighting application... was pretty amazing and totally inspiring. It totally clicked how some of the forms have a killer application, built on a foundation of chi awareness and inner strength

the movements of circular footwork in ba gua have a strong philosophical basis but in application mean that you are evading and suprising the enemy. its just that is a much longer path to this fighting aspect as the foundations take a long time, but build power.

training twice a week this year, which is the minimum really, mondays a very internal focused session, qi gong and strengthening, and saturdays more on movements etc.

Some ba gua clips of master han who I trained with in a Beijing Park:
applications: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oCMDO9D ... re=related
- it all seems kind of docile - certainly not 'agressive' but his energy was exploding from his core / dan tien - barely any movement but with so much power! real low stance and internal force

http://www.youtube.com/user/hansmenck#p ... t5tfezd93Q
some more ba gua - what I really like is the attention to form, but not empty form or 'performance' wu shu - a real sense of core reason and application to each movement and posture

what im currently focusing on is closer to the first part of this vid:
http://www.youtube.com/user/hansmenck#p ... 3O7tzibenw
the forms are really tough as there is a lot of internal forces, and oppositional forces in the arms - pushing, extending, twisting, binding . the martial application is coded in there but in in no rush on it

anyway, its been fantastic, a real improvement to my vitality, energy, stress levels etc from regular practice. totally recommend, and where I train, the master is really very good (IMHO) in terms of deep understanding of internal qi gong and strength. the classes, depending on the day, have either a more forms/external or internal focus so there is enough variety to suit different tastes - other than the fact it doesn't have a hardcore/boofhead 'kill the enemy' mentality
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

aroes wrote:I don't EVER wanna get into a fight, but tbh I'm sick of clamming up and shitting myself every time some fuck head gets aggressive, whether it be towards me or those around me.
:scr1pt:

Would love to do some form of martial arts training in the Northern suburbs - preferably Preston/Reservoir area. Not only for the confidence factor, but also for some form of inner peace and health reasons.

Can anyone recommend a place and style that suits this? A relaxed atmosphere would be preferential, I don't really want it to be all about aggression.
FoundationStepper

i drive to richmond from northcote for my training, its not that far... but no sugguestions for closer to our side of town sorry
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

thanks anyway
Gliding High

Post by Gliding High »

Direkt wrote:
aroes wrote:I don't EVER wanna get into a fight, but tbh I'm sick of clamming up and shitting myself every time some fuck head gets aggressive, whether it be towards me or those around me.
:scr1pt:

Would love to do some form of martial arts training in the Northern suburbs - preferably Preston/Reservoir area. Not only for the confidence factor, but also for some form of inner peace and health reasons.

Can anyone recommend a place and style that suits this? A relaxed atmosphere would be preferential, I don't really want it to be all about aggression.
Renegade Mixed Martial Arts
Unit 3, 60 Stubbs St Kensington.

We teach MMA, BJJ, Greco and Freestyle wrestling, boxing and Muay Thai.
All instructors are highly decorated competitors, and we pride ourselves on being one of the friendliest gyms in Melb.
Plus, we have one of the best facilities in the state. 180 square mtrs of Olympic matted area, bag area, weights machines galore, free weights, strength and conditioning tools galore too.
If we can't teach you to defend yourself in a realistic, efficient fashion, no one can.
We are booming right now, as it seems with the advent of the UFC, much of of the 'mystery' of martial arts has been thrown out the window, and people are just going for what works. No mantis position, no horse stance - just take your opponent to the ground, and choke him. Or, puch/elbow him in the face - whatever floats your boat.
Sounds brutal, but lets face it, fights aren't ever sunshine & lolly-pops :)
If you want to get super fit, have fun, and never worry about getting hassled again - here's the deets....

http://www.renegademma.com.au
Or give me a ring (if it's not me, it will be one of my partners).
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Gliding High wrote:highly decorated competitors
do you wear bling g-strings?

:smt003

glad to hear its going well mister!
Sociopathic

Post by Sociopathic »

SO bumping this one back up. Anyone know any good Kickboxing training places either in around CBD area or heading out towards north melbourne way? Can go as far as say richmond east but preferably something in CBD or heading out towards North Melbourne, Kensington way?
The fridge is angry, the cheese told me so.

Watch out for the penguins, they are comming
Omoplata

Post by Omoplata »

Sociopathic wrote:SO bumping this one back up. Anyone know any good Kickboxing training places either in around CBD area or heading out towards north melbourne way? Can go as far as say richmond east but preferably something in CBD or heading out towards North Melbourne, Kensington way?
We have kickboxing (Muay Thai) twice a week - but we are essentially an MMA and BJJ academy.
Don't know if that's what your looking for. We are in Kensington.
www.renegademma.com.au
'Lets settle the score, with rhythmic metaphor.'
Sociopathic

Post by Sociopathic »

Yeah had a look at that one, Looking for a friend she is wanting kickboxing and also competitive she actually wants to compete. Which means she'd be wanting one on one personal training, sparing and technique.
So it wouldn't really work unfortunately cause the location is ideal
The fridge is angry, the cheese told me so.

Watch out for the penguins, they are comming