FIRE AID 2??

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
Hardy

Re: FIRE AID 2??

Post by Hardy »

NakedAge wrote:So grows the cost of global warming
This doesn't have shit to do with global warming
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

RIP to those who have passed away, its such a horrific time for our beloved state. So much tragedy and sadness for so many people, its truly shocking. :cry: I can only right now give blood, which is what I will do this week. Times like this I wish I had something other than thoughts and blood to offer.

Good on you Andy for wanting to help. Fire Aid felt like a lot of work by a lot of people for a minimal donation. Which isnt a bad thing, add it all together and its better than nothing. It would be so fantastic though if each small community of people that are probably right now making this suggestion, could join forces and be able to do something on a much bigger scale. Put all the efforts together and you have a bigger reaction. Every little bit DOES help, now AND down the track, including organisers paying for artwork that otherwise wouldn't be sold at all!!

Assistance is needed now AND it is needed for a long time to come. I cant see anything wrong with trying to come at it from both sides. Those with money will give it, those who cant, will try to do something else, one isnt better than the other, we all do what we can.
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Sammy sums it up beautifully.
Mellogs

Post by Mellogs »

andy_hoffman wrote:
Mellogs wrote: I personally find it disrespectful that so many people have died and lost everything – as yet for some its just another opportunity to get waisted.
As NakedAge said earlier, some people can't spare the cash at the moment. I'm one of those people. I don't see the problem with doing something that i think can really help.

I don't see how this is disrespectful at all! People are still gonna be getting wasted every weekend regardless of whether people have died or homes have been lost. It's not going to change because of this. Party's still happen every night in melbourne. Why not use this as an opportunity to raise money to help these people in need?
Whatever dude.. clearly you understood my point.
I will donate to a party however I can in the long-term. This week I will be donating blood with my family and money from inheritance I recently received.

I just heard that family friends have lost not only their home but their business too. I know my energy and money will go towards doing what I can for them and not getting loose this weekend.
andy_hoffman wrote: Would you rather i organised a bowls tournament where no drinking or drug taking is allowed? Would you feel better if it was done this way?
No, I would rather you invest some sensibility into your posts. WTF did bowls ever do to you?
...and basically that's the situation
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

Great idea Andy, if anyone can do this I think you can. :)

If you need any help promoting it, or anything else gimme a shout.
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Brian Naylor & wife among the dead.
Gliding High
Location: Little Evil's evil cave, 666 Nasty St, Horribleville

Post by Gliding High »

I don't personally think a party is right. I'd feel guilty out dancing for this - but that is just me.
Too close to home, too many people too sad for a long time. Way too little money could be made to make even a slight difference.
I'm with the others above when they say you'd be better off just donating.

I've run literaly hundreds of parties, I co-organized the first Melb Breaks Unite with OB1 (was monstrous), and organised a gig for depression awareness which was going awesome until the club went broke the week of the gig - so I know how disapointing things like this can be, and what strain they can put on a person.
(Plus I organized several big gigs with Spiro back in the day - need I say more about heartache! :)

You'd need a serious team of promoters, with more than just DJ skills. A LARGE club, that has to be filled in order to make worthwhile funds. No doubt someone massive already probably has it in the works anyway, and you'd just get cancelled out IMO.
10 points, and respect for thinking of it - but my judgement tells me you'd be better off getting on the phone and donating - you'd make a much bigger difference, and save yourself a shitload of heartache and infighting for incredibly little gain.
Last edited by Gliding High on Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gliding High

Post by Gliding High »

Hardy wrote:Brian Naylor & wife among the dead.
That's terrible.
He recently lost his son in a plane crash too.
Very, very sad.
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

As NakedAge said earlier, some people can't spare the cash at the moment. I'm one of those people. I don't see the problem with doing something that i think can really help.
i think if you really want to help, ring the red cross and ask them where they need help/volunteers dude.

there are better ways to use everyones resource(s) in this instance than a party/dj gig to be honest
elysium

Post by elysium »

Hardy wrote:
NakedAge wrote:
... .... They're saying they're suspicious of fire starters... Can you imagine some dick would start this?

Whilst i'm no forensic ass motherfucker, I find it impossible to fathom how the police/fire brigade could able to tell if a fire was deliberately lit. Seriously, I just don't see how they they do it.

I don't know either... but at least one of the Ash Wednesday fires was started by a pyro. it is the most disgusting, appalling thought that someone could deliberately start something like that. It's not as if they wouldn't know the horror it could turn into if the bush is that dry and the winds are up.

It is so shocking to hear of what is going on back home... it is all over the news here in the UK. Does anyone know how to contact the Australian Red Cross from the UK? The 1800 number won't work.
Last edited by elysium on Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm in a loop, I am the loop...
quick

Post by quick »

They said that some fires were re-started by arsonists after they were just put out by firemen...

You'd have a better idea if it was deliberately lit if you only just put it out and determined it safe.
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

the maiden gully/long gully/eaglehawk/bracewell fire (1.5km from the house i grew up) completely razed a huge area, literally nothing left of it (had to take the back roads trying to get to mum's old place, happened by chance to drive through the centre of that particular blaze). apparently started by some dickhead's cigarette butt. luckily it looks like noojee (foot of mt. baw baw, tiny town where dad used to live) managed to escape getting razed by a lightning fire. 84 dead (2 in maiden gully) and that number isn't going to go down.

cfa + ses + dse + red cross + salvos > *
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
deviant

Post by deviant »

I think people should get behind any efforts to help.... including a fund-raising gig. Maybe make it more of a "show" than an all-night dance party. something bigger, with a BIG headliner. Might be more appropriate.

I dunno, I don't think it's bad that people want to use what they know (like putting on gigs) to contribute more than they otherwise would be able to.
menace

Post by menace »

elysium wrote:
It is so shocking to hear of what is going on back home... it is all over the news here in the UK. Does anyone know how to contact the Australian Red Cross from the UK? The 1800 number won't work.
https://www.redcross.org.au/Donations/o ... ations.asp

online you can

very sad stuff :(
elysium

Post by elysium »

Lizkins wrote:will let Glenny tell you how it all went down at the end giving the money to the fire firefighters and animal services
I don't get it, what is wrong with donating to the firefighters?

If we are talking about the CFA these guys are volunteers, often residents of the very areas that are under threat, that put their lives on the line to save people - remember the five that died near Ballarat in 1998 and the twelve that died in Upper Beaconsfield on Ash Wednesday?

Obviously donating to the victims is crucial at this time (and if that was the stated aim of Fire Aid I and where the money was supposed to be going then I see that if it ended up somewhere else that could have been disappointing), but don't forget about the SES and the CFA that risk their lives to save many others from harm - they need our support too.
elysium

Post by elysium »

menace wrote:
elysium wrote:
https://www.redcross.org.au/Donations/o ... ations.asp

online you can

very sad stuff :(
Thanks menace.

Anyone know if the SES and CFA are running any appeals for the bushfires? I've just checked their websites and none of them have any online donation functions ... arrgh! I feel so useless stuck over here in the UK. My thoughts go out to all of you over there.
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

Gliding High wrote:I don't personally think a party is right. I'd feel guilty out dancing for this - but that is just me.
I don't understand this point of view. Should people feel even more guilty then for going to gigs and dancing where all the proceeds aren't donated to this cause? Why wasn't there this kind of response for the last fire aid?
As i said earlier, parties are still going to be happening so why not use this to raise extra money for the cause? I'm disappointed with the lack of support from people on here. Biggups to those who do support it tho!
...................................................................................................................................................
no more epilepsy raptor jesus
retzie

Post by retzie »

Farken +1 on this being hard to watch from the other side of the world :(

If people aren't going to get behind a party, mebbe a halfway measure is seeing if the powers-that-be are after volunteers for anything (sorting donations, clean-up, rebuilds, etc) and try to put together a MB crew to go along? Would be way more fun with people you know :). Surely this is the sort of thing sporting clubs do all the time??

Least hassle, least wasted time/effort for all involved.

(I still like the idea of a party, Andy, but judging from responses, it be the mighty hard way....)
deviant wrote:I'm some sort of man-machine.
Fents

Post by Fents »

i think my mate dave's property who owns greensborough homebrew store is gone. he lives up a mountain behind kinglake...kinglake on one side healsville on the other.

i really hope its just his property :( no one can contact him.
Mellogs

Post by Mellogs »

Gliding High wrote:I don't personally think a party is right. I'd feel guilty out dancing for this - but that is just me.
:scr1pt: so inappropriate at this time.
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

I'm disappointed with the lack of support from people on here
why is that, cos not everyone is bang on your idea for organising a party? i think everyone is pretty supportive of doing something to help ... some ppl disagree that having a party might not be the best idea.
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

This is so unbelievably tragic. I've been getting really emotional watching/listening to the news. 108 people dead and there'll probably be many more. Truly devastating

I'm with Elly on the donating front. Personally I'd rather my money go to the selfless volunteers that risk their lives to save others. Many of them have lost their own property, friends and family, but they keep fighting for the community. Was there an issue last time donating to them or something?

I'll certainly be donating some money the minute i get paid, and I intend to give blood also.
quick

Post by quick »

deviant wrote:I think people should get behind any efforts to help.... including a fund-raising gig. Maybe make it more of a "show" than an all-night dance party. something bigger, with a BIG headliner. Might be more appropriate.

I dunno, I don't think it's bad that people want to use what they know (like putting on gigs) to contribute more than they otherwise would be able to.
:scr1pt:

No one with an idea to help, whatever the idea is, should be shot down, cos every little bit helps.

If I wanted to run a marrathon naked to raise funds for this, that would be a good idea, not cos I'm running a marrathon naked, but because I'm trying to raise money for a damn good cause, however I want to do it.
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

I'm thinking I'll be donating some blood and coin in the next couple of days... but if this event goes ahead, I'll be more than happy to help out in any shape or form.
Fents

Post by Fents »

also clothes and toys. taske a drive up to whittlesea op shop (30mins from city) and drop off whatever you can food/clothes/toys/money.

is cocko ok direkt?
Brain

Post by Brain »

Victorian Bushfire Appeal: http://www.redcross.org.au/vic/services ... l-2009.htm

Australian Red Cross Blood service is encouraging people to donate blood. People should call 13 14 95 during Monday to Friday to make an appointment.

To donate to the Salvation Army, call 13 Salvos (137 258) or http://www.salvationarmy.org.au

To donate to the NAB's bushfire relief fund, phone 136 NAB (136 622)

To donate through Myer, visit the service centre at a Myer store.
Last edited by Brain on Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Fents wrote:is cocko ok direkt?
All good holmes.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Hardy wrote:
NakedAge wrote:So grows the cost of global warming
This doesn't have shit to do with global warming
can't see your logic on this one Tom. May not be completely at fault but with Qld under water, Melbourne on fire after 3 historically hot days (arsonist or no, still effected) and S.A suffering 13 days in sweltering conditions...I mean that's not normal. This has never happened before, in the history of the Earth, you can't say all this is just a coincidence. It has to have shit to do with it.

Melbourne's been kindling for the last couple of years but with the heat over the last few week it's like someone added a Jiffy. My heart breaks for everyone who's lost everything. Homes, families and neighbours, comfort and security, and most of all a certain future...I just can't imagine it. I was sitting in my room watching the coverage and I looked around and tried to imagine not having any of these little trinkets and things that 'make me happy'. Having nothing on your back except a singlet cause it was blazing hot when you left the house but now it's 14 degrees and you're cold and your shoes burned off and you haven't had anything to eat for 28 hours and you're pretty sure your house burned down but you can't find out cause the lines are down and you've got burns on your arms and the smoke inhalation makes breathing hurt and your back is sore and your eyes sting and you wish to God you'd wake up, just wake up dammit.

My heart breaks :cry:
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

fuck its getting worse. I hope this cool weather lasts and brings enough rain to stop what is still burning.
friends have lost everything but the clothes on their backs.

guys, stop arguing about the validity of ways to help. fucking pointless.
those who want to donate cash and their blood, good on you, get out there and do it. This is what ill be doing.

those who want to make a party, start researching, and sending direct emails or whatever to those you want involved, because the sooner it is held the more support you will get, simply because it is at the forefront of peoples minds now.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

mixtress wrote:I mean that's not normal. This has never happened before, in the history of the Earth, you can't say all this is just a coincidence.

With out being petty, cause the real issue here is the shocking loss so many are suffering, this is not "history of the earth" but hottest days on record. Records only last about 120 years, not several million.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

the reason Glenny and i are saying give to the families is because the CFA etc get funding off the government. we thought giving them money would be a big help (even to the volunteers), but they didn't really did it or care. No biggie, every little bit helps, but yeah, give to the families they are the ones that need it
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

that story is full on.
choked up.
Gliding High

Post by Gliding High »

andy_hoffman wrote:
I don't understand this point of view. Should people feel even more guilty then for going to gigs and dancing where all the proceeds aren't donated to this cause? Why wasn't there this kind of response for the last fire aid?
As i said earlier, parties are still going to be happening so why not use this to raise extra money for the cause? I'm disappointed with the lack of support from people on here. Biggups to those who do support it tho!
I'm donating $100 0f my own money today, and probably the same again next week when I get paid again. I will probably send goods from my family's business to the salvo's too.
I'll do anything I can to help the people who need it - I just don't think a dance party is worth it, nor relevant.
I'm totally with Shep, Mellogs and the others on this one.
Your better off donating - I don't think anyone on here has the resources nor the crowd pulling potential to make this worthwhile. But, that's my opinion, which I am entitled to. If you can run a massive party, pulling a huge crowd, therefore making a substantial amount of money, rather than just a token gesture of help - then, I shall be the first one to congragulate you.
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

If you don't think $7000 is a worthwhile gesture then there's something wrong with you mate.
...................................................................................................................................................
no more epilepsy raptor jesus
Gliding High

Post by Gliding High »

andy_hoffman wrote:If you don't think $7000 is a worthwhile gesture then there's something wrong with you mate.
Well c'mon mate. Your the action guy.
Lets see this thing happen.
You obviously know the ins and outs of running a giant gig.
Use your plethora of contacts and organisational skills to dazzle me.

I don't agree with you. Don't be getting all pissy about it.
Get organising, and prove us doubters wrong.
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

F'fucks sake, stop acting like l'il bitches. LE, if you don't want to be involved, then don't be. But don't antagonise people for wanting to do something. Andy, if you wanna do it, then don't argue with interweb peoples, just do it!
Gliding High

Post by Gliding High »

I'm seriously not trying to antagonise anyone - I'm just stating a relevant opinion. As are Shep and Mellogs.
I'd love for a gig to work, I truly don't think it would though.
If someone wants to work full time for the next few weeks, and pull it off - then I will stand corrected.
Until then, I just don't think it would be worthwhile. Donating directly would be much more beneficial, as previously stated.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

DBoy wrote:
mixtress wrote:I mean that's not normal. This has never happened before, in the history of the Earth, you can't say all this is just a coincidence.

With out being petty, cause the real issue here is the shocking loss so many are suffering, this is not "history of the earth" but hottest days on record. Records only last about 120 years, not several million.
A negligible error...but point taken. Retracted and replaced with Australia's history.
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

agree with GH, lets be rational.

even if you have no cash to donate, there is many other ways to help as someone said earlier.
knock on doors for food donations.
donate blood.
offer to volunteer with a number of organisations who are providing shelter and emergency accomodation.
find out if there is volunteers needed in areas of kinglake etc, many many affected areas.

parties are good for raising awareness. especially among a group of people who DO usually drink/dance/drug their way through life (im talknig bout anyone who goes to parties, yes massive generalisation ok)

but there does not need to be any awareness raised for this. everyone, including us, is aware.

needs action now. less talking, more action.
Mellogs

Post by Mellogs »

From theage.com.au

A 2009 Victoria Bushfire Appeal Fund has been launched and donations can be made through the Red Cross (see web address below). Several companies and charity organisations have set up relief funds. Four Australian banks have pledged more than $3 million to help victims of the fires.

The National Australia Bank, Commonwealth Bank of Australia and the ANZ have pledged $1 million dollars each in funds or donations. The Bendigo and Adelaide Banks have launched a Bushfire Appeal with an immediate $100,000 donation. The Salvation Army has established a fire appeal for families. The Gippsland Emergency Relief Fund is calling for donations to help people affected in Gippsland. The fires have also resulted in loss of wildlife, and the loss of at least two wildlife shelters. Wildlife Victoria has called for donations to save animals.

redcross.org.au

salvationarmy.org.au

bendigobank.com.au

nab.com.au

anz.com.au

commbank.com.au

adelaidebank.com.au

relieffund.org.au

wildlifevictroria.org.au
spiral

Post by spiral »

got this from work today

To donate blood, call 13 14 95 and visit www.donateblood.com.au to find out your nearest donor centre location.

To donate to the Red Cross State Government Victorian Bushfire Appeal Fund:
* Visit www.redcross.org.au
* Phone 1800 811 700
* Any NAB, ANZ, Westpac or Commonwealth Bank branch
* Any Bunnings store
* By direct deposit to the Victorian Bushfire Relief Fund - BSB 082-001, Account number 860-046-797

Myer Bushfire Appeal
* All proceeds to the Salvation Army. Donate at any Victorian Myer store

Salvation Army - http://www.salvationarmy.org.au/SALV/HOMEPAGE/pc=HOME

St Vincent de Paul - http://www.vinnies.org.au/home.cfm?nocache=932312

Wildlife Rescue - http://www.wildlifevictoria.org.au/cms/index.php

Gippsland Emergency Relief Fund - http://relieffund.org.au/

The Victorian Bushfire Information Line on 1800 240 667 gives up to date information on total fire bans, fire restrictions and major fires.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

spiral wrote:got this from work today

To donate blood, call 13 14 95 and visit http://www.donateblood.com.au to find out your nearest donor centre location.
Submitted. Thanks.
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

Big ups to my work. Donating $5K and matching all employee contributions dollar for dollar thereafter.
Awesomest. :D
almax

Post by almax »

wow, the house i grew up in in Jeeralang (near Churchill) must be gone, fires were all through that area and i cant get in touch with my mum, phone is alway engaged.
Hardy i think it was you who asked how can they tell if the fire was deliberately lit, when a fire is lit it spreads in the direction of the wind, so all they have to do is find that spot and they may be a ciggarette butt on the ground there or traces of petrol or whatever was used.
Also if there was no lightning in the area it pretty safe to assume.
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

almax wrote: Hardy i think it was you who asked how can they tell if the fire was deliberately lit, when a fire is lit it spreads in the direction of the wind, so all they have to do is find that spot and they may be a ciggarette butt on the ground there or traces of petrol or whatever was used.
Also if there was no lightning in the area it pretty safe to assume.
That's... a pretty fucking good and simple explanation really. Nice one!
deviant

Post by deviant »

ghetto kitty wrote:
that story is full on.
choked up.
yep, was in tears all yesterday watching the news..... had to turn it off :(

then this.....
Mark of Canberra 12:12pm today Boo Hoo. Youchose to live there.
FUCKING COCK-SUCKER!!!!!
:angry5: :angry5: :angry5: :angry5: :angry6: :angry6: :angry6: :angry6: :angry6:
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

Just made an appointment to Give Blood as I don't have a solitary cent to donate

I'll leave the bitching on 'appropriate' ways to help to you guys
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

wtf?

What a prick...

Will donate to red cross tonight...
deviant

Post by deviant »

I don't have a cent to my name at the moment either..... :?