FIRE AID 2??

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
quick

Re: FIRE AID 2??

Post by quick »

shabana wrote:
quick wrote:Wow... just got an email from Bruce Akhurst (Sensis CEO)
I am very pleased to tell you that Sensis will match all staff bushfire and flood appeal donations and fundraising by $2 for every $1 you give, up to the value of $200,000.
Fukn fair play, will be donating through them now... anyone else wanting to donate should send money through me so it all gets trippled... PM me if you want to donate through me.
hey quick check your pms
cheers... i've had a few want to donate through me, seriously, it makes sense cos your donation gets tripled... pm me ASAP so I can put it all through together, I will send send you a receipt. I have put through $600 partly thanks to my work ;)
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
Hatsudai

Post by Hatsudai »

ctoafn_DMZ

Post by ctoafn_DMZ »

Hatsudai wrote:WAAAAAASTEMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN :

http://www.theage.com.au/national/fire- ... -83o9.html
And these fuckwits wonder why our generation is falling off the religion bandwagon.
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

that makes my blood boil.
what a complete fucking insensitive cunt.
how is this meant to be in any way constructive? Being from the church you think he'd be trying to help and heal, not to kick these people in the ribs while they're at the lowest.
Complete scum, and strong affirmation why Christianity is severely outdated and irrelevant. It's not the fucking dark ages idiot. :evil:
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Suprise, surprise - the Church is spreading propoganda.
aroes

Post by aroes »

Pentecostal sects, namely Assembly of God (with which Nalliah is affiliated) thrive on scare tactics and propaganda. Really quite disgusting that he would use these tragedies as a platform from which to preach to/recruit/convert people.

For shame

Anyone heard about the the racial vilification case concerning Nalliah?? Straying from the topic I know, but from what I can gather, the guy is a tyrannical racist maniac

:angry3:
nic

Post by nic »

lets fucken murder the god fearing cunt with a cactus
repent ye sins you filthy churchie
aroes

Post by aroes »

thanks nic
always count on you for a constructive/insightful comment
deviant

Post by deviant »

I'm actually dissapointed in theage for publishing such rubbish at this time
Brain

Post by Brain »

On a more positive note, Leonard Cohen has donated $200,000 to the appeal - not bad for a bloke with financial problems of his own.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/fe ... e-donation
ctoafn_DMZ

Post by ctoafn_DMZ »

deviant wrote:I'm actually dissapointed in theage for publishing such rubbish at this time
I'm starting to get quite over the media hype. This is a real shit for people to go through but the media is really flogging the story and probably taking up a lot of valuable resources in the process. 28 pages in the Herald Sun (however they did donate $1 million), 1 hour news bulletins at 10pm at night on Channel 9.

Let those people not have to relive the horror everytime a reporter come up to them just so the networks can get some rating and addiotnal money off this. Think they are starting to push it a bit too far IMO just like they did with the tasmainan miner.
aroes

Post by aroes »

Brain wrote:On a more positive note, Leonard Cohen has donated $200,000 to the appeal - not bad for a bloke with financial problems of his own.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/fe ... e-donation

wow
what a guy
gnat

Post by gnat »

what a great pic this is!

pls consider donating to wildlife victoria also: http://www.wildlifevictoria.org.au/cms/ ... &Itemid=43
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Double edged sword Myles. I'm agree with you entirely, I'm grossed out when I hear the same words used over and over again to describe horrid situations, and they seem to take away from the gravity of the situation. It breaks my heart to see people how have somehow composed themselves after losing everything only to have a furry mic thrust in their face, asking them to rehash the events again, in as much detail as possible please.

But then again, enquiring minds want to know...we were all desperate for news at the beginning, wondering how bad it was, who lived and who didn't make it. We're still all eager to know updates and the like.

It would be very hard to cover this tragedy without at least some of the presentation seeming tripe and sensationalist.
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
deviant

Post by deviant »

my work just pitched in $1million

nice
lynt

Post by lynt »

Thank-you online news for keeping me informed. There's little coverage where I am, which is a shame, even though the President has given his condolences. At least I've gotten my work to help donate. Big ups. Thoughts are with the families and those affected by this chaos.
Fents

Post by Fents »

hargraves hill lost their newly built brewry in the fires :( fundraiser here, if it wasnt all the way in st kilda and i wasnt playing cricket that night i'd go.

As a result of the tragic events in the Victorian bushfires, The Local Taphouse is hosting a fundraising Benefit Gig on Thursday Feb 19th. 50% of all money raised will be donated to the official Red Cross Appeal and their efforts to help those devastated by these fires.

One of Victoria’s best microbreweries, Hargreaves Hill Brewery, was also completely destroyed by fire so we have decided to donate the other 50% to Simon and Beth Walkenhorst to help a little with their rebuilding.

Thanks to Little Creatures, Matilda Bay, James Squire and Coopers for their kind donation of a keg each for the evening. These donated beers, along with Hargreaves Hill’s exquisite ESB, will be the only beers served on the night. Thanks also to Beermasons for offering mixed packs for a raffle we intend to have.

If you would like to help in ANY way, please let us know.

When: Thursday 19th Feb
Where: The Local Taphouse, 184 Carlisle Street, East St Kilda
Time: From 6pm
Cost: $10 on the door (The Local Taphouse will donate $1000 plus door take & other donations we receive in kind or in cash)
Featuring: Live music (The Band Who Knew Too Much), standup comedy and great beer...

We are limited to only 150 people so it’ll be first in, best dressed. If you can’t attend but would like to help us help Hargreaves Hill Brewery, you can donate to our efforts via our PayPal account at www.thelocaltaphouse.blogspot.com/. 100% of funds raised via the Paypal account will be donated to Hargreaves Hill Brewery.

Regards,

Steve, Guy & Justin
deejaypcp

Post by deejaypcp »

It's so true Pete.
Hell on earth? No! Fire and tempest are from the old testament.
Living under a rock from Saturday arvo to Monday morning, the first I heard of the "attack". sorry. "bushfires" was when I bought the Australian.
As distressing as it all was it almost read like a death count.
Some of the journalism was factual, some impassioned, some very impassioned and some completely over the top.
I woke early this morning for a change and again, among the information and heartbreak, the death count. It's almost like 200 dead is some sort of advertising push.
Of course, we need to know about these things.
It's pretty easy to be cynical when you notice more ads on tv in one night about buying papers and who's got the best news coverage than you seem to remember. It's also easy to notice things like this when you're already feeling cynical about the news coverage.
It does though, remind me of the Martin Bryant "crazy eyes" shot on the front cover of the Australian the day after the Port Arthur mass murder.
At least there was some good news in the Aussie that day. Page 11 had a photo of the Murdoch family. Dame Elizabeth Murdoch turned 100 on Sunday. Congratulations, she's a truly lovely lady.

2 cents.
Anyway for fear of coming across like a complete f***wit and wasting more time, I'm off to start doing my bit.
lynt

Post by lynt »

Go independent:

http://twitter.com/cfa_updates
http://twitter.com/salvos
http://twitter.com/cfavolunteer
http://twitter.com/774melbourne
http://twitter.com/nswbushfires
http://twitter.com/nswrfs
etc..

Twitter is just the beginning, but you get my point. One day we won't need mass media...
deviant

Post by deviant »

I visited Sticks winery and Yering Station Winery 6 months ago.... hard to believe that neither are there any more :(
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

yes and no Lyntos.

I wouldnt be taking any advice from some unidentified random on what to do in a fire. but good to have a 2nd opinion.

the media does suck balls tho!!
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
witty_pseudonym

deviant wrote:I visited Sticks winery and Yering Station Winery 6 months ago.... hard to believe that neither are there any more :(
Had a mad sticks pinot not long ago. Was hoping to go to the winery some time...but no.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

deejaypcp wrote: It's almost like 200 dead is some sort of advertising push. .
I agree that the mainstream coverage is sensationalist and crap.
have you seen the graphics they use for news backgrounds, especially the ones on today tonight, but we know thats real QUALITY journalism right there.
and the music too, is fucking doomsday and unnessecary to.

however, the 200 dead IS an advertising push.
I feel like this kind of coverage is what has made so many aussies dig deep to donate.
$15 million right?
thats FUCKING HUGE for a country that is mostly apathetic to pretty much anything that does not directly affect them!
so i think that as long as people are still needing help, mainstream news has a responsibility to keep people informed enough so that they get off their arses and do exactly that.

many grey areas in situations like these...
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

deviant wrote:I visited Sticks winery and Yering Station Winery 6 months ago.... hard to believe that neither are there any more :(
Holy shit! I'm friends with the guy who manages Sticks and i worked there for a year. Feelin for him. He was so proud of what he'd turned that vineyard into!
...................................................................................................................................................
no more epilepsy raptor jesus
deejaypcp

Post by deejaypcp »

You're right kitty.
$6 million raised at one cricket match.
:)
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

FYI - recieved this. http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group ... 9629739348
Chris Braun wrote:
Hey guys,

I don't need to tell you whats been going on this weekend. I was out of town in black hole of current news and flew into the reports of everything that had happened over the weekend.

I flew over the fires on Monday 9th of Feb on my way home and words cannot describe the devastation.

There are many things going on to help out and more to come, but i want to do something to help out as well.

I am looking at organising a benefit concert to raise money to help out the people in need. I have been fortunate enough to make good muso friends in my line of work so i am going to be putting the hard word on them.

At the moment the venue will be the Prince of Wales in St Kilda on the 26th of Feb. It's the earliest i could make the show. Depending on which bands confirm their interest the venue may change to reflect the numbers required.

I will update information on this group as i get it.

Basically i've put this group together to get interest from you guys. This would be a big night, big bands etc.

All i'm looking for at the moment is interest and some crew to help out.

The wheels are in motion, please support the people that need it.

You turn up, i'll give you some killer bands to groove too.

I have set this group up so you are able to invite people, please take 5 minutes out of your day and invite a truck load of people to help spread to the word.

THANKS!!

Chris Braun.

Contact Info
Email:
Office: 0408 582 361
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

Days after the blazes began; fires still threaten the homes and lives of many communities in Victoria.

As the emergency relief effort continues to battle the areas under threat of destruction by the fires, and to contain the blazes still raging in rural Victoria, we ask that you assist in the response in any way you can.

There are a number of ways we can contribute and offer support: donating to the Red Cross or any major bank, or attending any of the benefits being held around the State is an excellent start.

A number of bands and artists have joined together and generously offered to help raise money in aid of the relief effort here at the Prince Bandroom on Sunday 22nd February.

BLUE KING BROWN
DJ DEXTER
TRUE LIVE
THE RED EYES and more

will join together to assist those who have been affected.

Tickets are $25 including booking fee.

www.princebandroom.com.au

Doors open at 7pm
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

edit
Last edited by DBoy on Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gnat

Post by gnat »

did those wineries just get razed deviant?
\
afaik yering escaped it but that was yesterday's news

a real shame about sticks!- fingers also crossed for yarra burn
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
shabana

Post by shabana »

man the animals always get me the most
footage of parrots eating bits of charred bark in the wake of fires last year made me cry so hard
could hardly stand
gnat wrote:Image

what a great pic this is!

pls consider donating to wildlife victoria also: http://www.wildlifevictoria.org.au/cms/ ... &Itemid=43
Peace and Fucking - Believe
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

ditto shabana. was listening to a news clip yesterday and one of the firefighters described seeing a sheep on fire running through the trees. i can't get it out of my head :(
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
almax

Post by almax »

Fents wrote:hargraves hill lost their newly built brewry in the fires :(
OH NO FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, NOT BEER, DONT TAKE OUR BREWERY YOU BASTARD GOD
deviant

Post by deviant »

cute little koala!

<3
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

gnat wrote:fingers also crossed for yarra burn
Yarra Burn is safe now. Nothing over that side of the valley is under too much threat at the moment. Properties on the valley floor are copping it tho.
...................................................................................................................................................
Friday

Post by Friday »

Anyone want to foster care a dog?

Just got this email:

Fun4Paws - Dog respite care for bush fire victims

Hello all,

Fun4Paws is currently offering emergency respite care to the animals affected by the bush fires, however there are many more animals than we have carers.

There are large numbers of owners with nowhere to place their dogs. If you are able to offer a place to a dog in your home, please contact myself of Lynne Fitzsimmons and we will coordinate.

Luke - 0415 104 044 [email protected] Lynne - 0428 844 810 or [email protected]

If you are interested please let us know when your home would be available (dates) and if you have any other pets for us to consider when placing.

Dog Listeners Australia wide have pledged $1000.00 the assist in the costs of food, petrol etc. so we hope that all costs of looking after a dog will be covered.

Please assist us by forwarding this email on to all of your contacts so that together we can help the hundreds of dogs in need of temporary homes.

Luke Williams
Proprietor - Fun4Paws
0415 104 044
[email protected]
www.fun4paws.com.au
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

spoke to a friend in eltham - she thinks that the st andrews pub is fine? she was there on monday i think - where did people hear this?
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

My girlfriend heard it from her workmates. Not a credible source i know but yeah she took their word for it. Lets hope they're wrong!
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

andy_hoffman wrote:My girlfriend heard it from her workmates. Not a credible source i know but yeah she took their word for it. Lets hope they're wrong!
in bendigo we heard that the sports centre and the massive spotlight had burned down, as well as a bp in eaglehawk having blown up -- all completely wrong. the schweppes centre was untouched, spotlight had a grass fire out the back that didn't touch the building, and all the servos in and around eaglehawk were fine.
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
ulyssian

Post by ulyssian »

oh . Thats near the exes family. :( coincidentally, he is up north with the floods.
The animals get me too :(
retzie

Post by retzie »

Fark...

Solemn call for funeral attire
that story wrote:"I had a man tell me he woke up this morning and tried to find his shoes," he said. "Then he realised he had no shoes, no cupboard and no house."
:(
deviant wrote:I'm some sort of man-machine.
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

fuck you herald sun and your dead kid expose

tabloid button pushing shit
almax

Post by almax »

i know, my girl found out through the hs that her best friend in year 7 died

'Love you' were last words
February 11, 2009
THREE young people who died in a Yarra Glen inferno tried to ring relatives to tell them they loved them just before they died.

Melanee Hermocilla, 23, her boyfriend Greg Lloyd, 22 and her brother Jaeson Hermocilla, 21, were house-sitting in Yarra Glen on Saturday when Victoria's worst fires struck.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

The Red Cross Bushfire Appeal is in urgent need of volunteers to take calls
for donations being made. If you are able to give an hour or two, or if
you know anyone else that is able, could you please pass the message on.
Last night there were about 300 calls banked up with only a few operators
taking calls, so the need for volunteers IS urgent. If you have any
friends or family that work in the city and are able to give their time,
even in their lunch hour, will be very appreciated. The phones are open
from 6am to 12 midnight and is expected to run until this Saturday.

You don't need to call to organise a time for your help, just turn up.
They will give you a name badge, and a 10 minute induction which explains
what needs to be done. The generosity of Australians in times of need is
unbelievable. So please, if you or someone else you know can give alittle
time to help, the address is as below.

LEVEL 11
452 FLINDERS STREET
CITY

i am going straight after work tonight with some work buddies to help

anyone else keen?
click here fo fotos
witty_pseudonym

wicked. i think i might see if i can leave early and head down around 3.

thanks for the info riz! :D
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Good work Liz and Witty.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XSPx7S4jr4
koala vid.

im donating to the animal welfare league.
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

FoundationStepper wrote:fuck you herald sun and your dead kid expose

tabloid button pushing shit
FUCKING :scr1pt:

The media as a whole needs to ease up. There's only so many harrowing stories and shit news that people can handle. We all know it's really fucked up and a lot of people died horribly, but we need a break.
witty_pseudonym

BUT DON'T WORRY...REG'S COT IS NOT LOST!

http://www.theage.com.au

:roll: to the power of :roll:
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

witty_pseudonym wrote:BUT DON'T WORRY...REG'S COT IS NOT LOST!

http://www.theage.com.au

:roll: to the power of :roll:
No shit. I saw that earlier and wanted to punch the fucking screen. WHO GIVES A FUCK!?! WE NEED MORE NEWS ABOUT RHIANNA GETTING FUCKED UP BY HER PUBELESS BOYFRIEND!!!!
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

witty_pseudonym wrote:wicked. i think i might see if i can leave early and head down around 3.

thanks for the info riz! :D
no problemo!

i am heading there around 5:30pm, if they are full up we will go to dinner and come back for the later shifts.

also the RSPCA still need more blankets, towels, etc. myself and heaps of people here at work gave a truckload of blankets and towels yesterday. But they still need more! You can deliver them to the Burwood RSPCA or check out their website, i believe they have other locations for drop offs listed.

re suits - apparently they are getting a lot of mens suits but not enough women's suits. i can't believe this request is even happening. Its fricken heart breaking
click here fo fotos