bikes

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
deviant

Re: bikes

Post by deviant »

how many people here actually ride fixed gear? (apart from huhuhuge)
nic

Post by nic »

aroes does
CoB

Post by CoB »

deviant wrote:how many people here actually ride fixed gear? (apart from huhuhuge)
i ride a single speed, not fixed gear... well, it can spin freely.
i am not entirely insane.

well, i only rode it a couple times so far (it is new[to me])
yesterday i rode from my brothers house back home and i was so wrecked after the ride i vomited.

will take a photo of it maybe
o/ . . . \o . . . -o . o- . \o/ \o/
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

deviant wrote:how many people here actually ride fixed gear? (apart from huhuhuge)
Hell no.

Forsaking developments in gears and brakes just to look cool.... I'll leave that for others... :wink:
deviant

Post by deviant »

:roll: only a matter of time wasn't it.

as if free/fixed makes you look any different, apart from the fact your legs keep moving all the time.
deviant

Post by deviant »

In other news... I got a flat tire on the way to work today :(
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

damn.

where you packing a tube?
deviant

Post by deviant »

was in my other bag :-/
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

anyone interested in a melbourne beats team for this
www.justcycle.com.au

Great cause. They run music and art programs for youth - so it fits the Melbourne Beats world too.

Anyone?
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

the 120km looks awesome.

Donna Buang would be a MONSTER!!!!

1600mtr elevation @ 6.5%

I did a 150Mtrs at 7% the other day and almost passed out.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

Know any riders in Melbs mate? Would be great to get them in this.
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

Just emailed it to my dad.

wll fwd it to another couple of guys aswell.

Get Spiesy on to it - he's back on the bike and Eric Ryan just bought a new bike too
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

deviant wrote::roll: only a matter of time wasn't it.

as if free/fixed makes you look any different, apart from the fact your legs keep moving all the time.
It is a trend mate. Nothing less.

Fixies (aka track bikes) aren't exactly new. And yes, I reckon they do look heaps different - I think that's the point.
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

Direkt wrote:
deviant wrote::roll: only a matter of time wasn't it.

It is a trend mate. Nothing less.

Fixies (aka track bikes) aren't exactly new. And yes, I reckon they do look heaps different - I think that's the point.
Agree with spies - expensive fashion accessory for Hipsters

how's your moustache?

:Teef:
deviant

Post by deviant »

Direkt wrote:It is a trend mate. Nothing less.
Just like wearing lycra?

:?:
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

Feigan wrote:Just emailed it to my dad.

wll fwd it to another couple of guys aswell.

Get Spiesy on to it - he's back on the bike and Eric Ryan just bought a new bike too
Thanks mate!
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

deviant wrote:
Direkt wrote:It is a trend mate. Nothing less.
Just like wearing lycra?

:?:
I certainly hope not!
deviant

Post by deviant »

Henri Desgrange, (L'Équipe article of 1902) wrote:I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five.
Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer?
We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!
trend
aroes

Post by aroes »

DBoy wrote:anyone interested in a melbourne beats team for this
http://www.justcycle.com.au

Great cause. They run music and art programs for youth - so it fits the Melbourne Beats world too.

Anyone?
I'd be keen as, but alas I highly doubt I'd be ready in time what with broken leg woes :(
Always next year I guess
Direkt wrote: It is a trend mate. Nothing less.
No doubt riding fixed has become trendy, but to say that everyone who does it is showponying is a bit rich imo. Not all that long ago I was of the opinion that all fixie riders were poseurs (see hipser bashing threadlol) but after doing a bit of research I've changed my tune. There are a shitload of people who ride fixed for perfectly valid reasons who live and breathe cycling. Sure there are the wannabes who spend umpteen thousand dollars on vintage Italian frames and Aerospoke wheels in order to get the perfect look, only to find that if it's raining or they have to ride up a hill they magically transform into girly men and stay at home smoking bongs. But on the other side of the coin there are people who personify the fixed ethos, throwing together a bike by whatever means possible and riding way harder than you or I probably ever could.

Any 'scene' has wankers. Ever ridden down Beach Rd on a Sunday? Epic lolz a plenty. After 5 minutes you'll lose count of the amount of fucktards you'll see on $8000 Colnagos with matching team kit and shaved legs, who struggle to shift up from the small ring riding on the flat with a tail wind

Riding fixed on public roads isn't my thing, but to those who do it with passion on their own terms, good on you

nic wrote:aroes does
lol
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

can anyone recommend a shop with good, cheap single speed bikes? don't really want to blow over a grand on a 'secondary' bike.
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
aroes

Post by aroes »

oh and back on the topic of the ride dboy posted, here's a comprehensive rundown of donna buang on climbingcyclist.com.....awesome site http://theclimbingcyclist.com/climbs/ya ... nna-buang/

by the looks of it not the hardest climb in vic, but in saying that, you'd def want to get some serious kms into your legs and train on some big long hills before attempting it
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

i started riding fixed cos i didn't have the tool to put the freewheel on. for me there is no need for any more than one gear so why bother with them? you would be surprised at the number of the completely opposite to hipsters people that come in to the shop and want to buy a bike from me*. sure a lot of them are impressed by how the bikes look, but they are mostly interested in them for their simplicity and efficiency.

* all the bikes we've sold have been freewheel
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

system wrote:can anyone recommend a shop with good, cheap single speed bikes? don't really want to blow over a grand on a 'secondary' bike.
can do for under a grand :)
CoB

Post by CoB »

fixies make good training bikes for ppl who are cycling seriously.
ppl that claim to be "cyclists" that get around in groups wearing lycra and acting like fags with their expensive as shit "pro" bikes don't really put much effort into it cos the bike does all the work.
then they say they do it for exercise, and say people who ride fixies are posers.
but surely that is more posering, because .. oh, because why aroes said lol

there is a site where u get to customise the colour of most things without changing much about the bike for $500.
forgot the name of it.

ps. bike junkyards are popping up all over brisbane.
crazy times

EDIT: i am not one of the people described in my post, i just wanted a bike to go to the shops with.
Last edited by CoB on Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aroes

Post by aroes »

CoB wrote: "cyclists" that get around in groups wearing lycra and acting like fags with their expensive as shit "pro" bikes don't really put much effort into it cos the bike does all the work.
Not sure I agree with this statement. Sure expensive bikes are lighter, but there's no such thing as a bike that "does all the work". Climbing a big hill at a decent pace is fucking hard no matter what bike you ride

I'm all for spending heaps on a carbon fibre bike with a computer and shaving your legs and wearing lycra and all that stuff, but if you're gonna put that much effort into having the right gear, you need the skills to back it up. Cyclists with no balls will endlessly blow their own trumpets on the basis of how expensive their equipment is, but get them out on the road and they'll get dropped by a seventy year old on a bike looks like a pre war relic
CoB

Post by CoB »

well, the bike does MORE of the work :P
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

CoB wrote:fixies make good training bikes for ppl who are cycling seriously.
ppl that claim to be "cyclists" that get around in groups wearing lycra and acting like fags with their expensive as shit "pro" bikes don't really put much effort into it cos the bike does all the work.
The bike makes it easier, so you can go faster - but a real cyclist who is after either fitness or competitive gains still puts in the same amount of work regardless. He's just getting more effective and efficient results.

How's your cadence going up a hill on your fixie?

Your argument is akin to saying all runners should run in thongs cause it makes it harder. Or swim in a 3-piece suit perhaps.

Acting like fags? Dude.... are you 10?
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

what's cadence got to do with anything?
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

huge wrote:what's cadence got to do with anything?
Heaps dude.

There's an optimum cadence for cycling. All pro cyclists have a rather high cadence, as they believe 90rpm or thereabouts* on a lower gear is going to produce less strain on the muscles compared to pushing a big gear at say 70rpm for the same speed.

Mind you, I'm trying to recall numbers from when I used to ride seriously over 10 years ago...

Pushing a big gear up a hill is going to result in more fatigue, or perhaps not even climbing that hill at all. Gears do serve a purpose, they're not just there to add weight to the bike.
aroes

Post by aroes »

haha this argument isn't gonna end soon

def hear what you're sying re: cadence direkt, but sometimes it's not about optimum wattage, it's just about getting to the top

http://vimeo.com/13001350

for those that don't know, mt ventoux is one of the tour de france's most brutal climbs
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

i pretty much roll everywhere i ride so i don't give a hoot about cadence.
CoB

Post by CoB »

hahaha
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Aaah.... that's how you roll, I guess...
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

aroes wrote:haha this argument isn't gonna end soon

def hear what you're sying re: cadence direkt, but sometimes it's not about optimum wattage, it's just about getting to the top

http://vimeo.com/13001350

for those that don't know, mt ventoux is one of the tour de france's most brutal climbs
PS: wattage and cadence are two different beasts... :wink:
aroes

Post by aroes »

facepalm
deviant

Post by deviant »

Direkt: I don't want to get into a massive debate here, because clearly your mind is closed to the idea.... but this is a good read about why people would want to ride a fixie..

http://sheldonbrown.com/fixed.html

edit: haha, looks like it already started.
CoB

Post by CoB »

maybe i should just admit that i like the fact there are no wires going through the bike?
hehehe
ps. skid brakes ftmfw
deviant

Post by deviant »

Direkt wrote:Acting like fags? Dude.... are you 10?
LOL, and your argument has been so mature. :clap:
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

How have I been immature?

I think it's a trend. Sorry if I don't follow your logic Champ.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

gets popcorn

no wait, this is an argument about bikes. puts popcorn away and walks off

kidding

carry on
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
deviant

Post by deviant »

Direkt wrote:How have I been immature?

Massively sweeping statements, huge generalisations, being patronising (champ), etc etc/../ would you like me to continue?
retzie

Post by retzie »

Farken...

There is clearly a fixie trend happening at the moment, but I don't think everyone who rides fixed should be tarred with the same brush. There are many people who always have, and always will, ride fixed because it suits their needs/allows them to commune with their bike/they are a bike mechanic/etc.

So even aside from the fact that a lot of people aren't in it for the fashion at all, who the fuck cares about the people who are?? If people want to jump on a harmless bandwagon, good on 'em. I've probably had a chuckle at the hipsters and fat lycra road warriors in equal measure, all the while being the retard doing a road ride on a mountain bike. Each to their own, innit.
deviant wrote:I'm some sort of man-machine.
ladysummer

Post by ladysummer »

deviant wrote:Direkt: I don't want to get into a massive debate here, because clearly your mind is closed to the idea.... but this is a good read about why people would want to ride a fixie..

http://sheldonbrown.com/fixed.html

edit: haha, looks like it already started.

My "Panache" is a plastic eagle which probably began life at the top of a small flag pole. It is a road find. It is held on to my old Bell Image by a plastic zip tie.
This is a marvelous conversation piece, and has broken the ice on a great many contacts with strangers. Someone on the 'net once said he thought it was cool, but that he could never do something like that, 'cause he still cared what people thought of him. Well, I too care what people think of me! I hope people will think that I am:

Independent minded.
Original.
A person with a sense of humor.
Somebody who doesn't take himself too seriously.
I believe that Igor conveys these attitudes as well as any clothing accessory could.
Well he looks like a reasonable fellow.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

deviant wrote:
Direkt wrote:How have I been immature?

Massively sweeping statements, huge generalisations, being patronising (champ), etc etc/../ would you like me to continue?
I wasn't being patronising. How do you know my intent from a web post?

A generalisation (which is kind of the same thing as a sweeping statement) isn't immature like calling groups a of people "fags" in my book. But hey, what do I know?

Tell me fixed gear hasn't been an emerging trend for the past 5-years or so in Melbourne? Fairly decent generalisation in my book... I haven't seen Tour de France riders adopting it recently, so I dare say it's not the most effective or efficient way to ride. So yeah, I think it's a trend that flies in the face of logic - but so what, It's only my opinion. If riding a fixed gear bike does wonders for you - more power to you.
aroes

Post by aroes »

Direkt wrote: Tell me fixed gear hasn't been an emerging trend for the past 5-years or so in Melbourne?
It definitely has dude, nobody's doubting that

Direkt wrote: I haven't seen Tour de France riders adopting it recently, so I dare say it's not the most effective or efficient way to ride.
Not in a stage race no, but I'd bet good money that a heap of them train on a fixed wheel. Also pretty sure Stuart O'Grady won a Tour de France time trial on a fixed gear bike

On the bright side, at least we're arguing about bikes and not religion or politics. Nothing wrong with a bit of healthy debate
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

fixies are all the rage in beijing:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/eliot_lari ... 528943415/

freaking hipsters everywhere with their modded (rust) coloured chains and bikes. even the old men and ladies are in on it. sheesh

but if we follow the trend over here we may end up with these beasties:

Direkt

Post by Direkt »

aroes wrote:
Direkt wrote: Tell me fixed gear hasn't been an emerging trend for the past 5-years or so in Melbourne?
It definitely has dude, nobody's doubting that

Direkt wrote: I haven't seen Tour de France riders adopting it recently, so I dare say it's not the most effective or efficient way to ride.
Not in a stage race no, but I'd bet good money that a heap of them train on a fixed wheel. Also pretty sure Stuart O'Grady won a Tour de France time trial on a fixed gear bike

On the bright side, at least we're arguing about bikes and not religion or politics. Nothing wrong with a bit of healthy debate
Nicely put.

Serious about that Stuart O'Grady call? Seems odd... must investigate.
aroes

Post by aroes »

just investigated.....not sure about the tour de france but he definitely rode one in the giro d'italia

he felt that it gave him an advantage, so wilier built him a custom bike

if anyone knows, he does.....man's got the results to prove it on the road AND track
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

aroes wrote: Not in a stage race no, but I'd bet good money that a heap of them train on a fixed wheel. Also pretty sure Stuart O'Grady won a Tour de France time trial on a fixed gear bike
All I could find was this reference:
http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/road/200 ... ?id=wilier

1.15km prologue @ Giro d'Italia. Straight and flat course.

Fuck that's a short race!
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

Direkt wrote:
huge wrote:what's cadence got to do with anything?
Heaps dude.

There's an optimum cadence for cycling. All pro cyclists have a rather high cadence, as they believe 90rpm or thereabouts* on a lower gear is going to produce less strain on the muscles compared to pushing a big gear at say 70rpm for the same speed.

Mind you, I'm trying to recall numbers from when I used to ride seriously over 10 years ago...

Pushing a big gear up a hill is going to result in more fatigue, or perhaps not even climbing that hill at all. Gears do serve a purpose, they're not just there to add weight to the bike.
80rpm - 120rpm I think is the range.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadence_(cycling)