bikes

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
aspekt

Post by aspekt »

Rob M wrote:My ideal holiday would be riding around Europe: Forest Gump style, but not running :)
my dad did the Paris-Brest-Paris in 2003. 1200ks in under 90 hours =D
There's no justice, just us.
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

aspekt wrote:
Rob M wrote:My ideal holiday would be riding around Europe: Forest Gump style, but not running :)
man, your dad must be so wrapped. 90hrs. the gauntlet has been thrown :twisted:
aspekt

Post by aspekt »

Rob M wrote:
aspekt wrote:
man, your dad must be so wrapped. 90hrs. the gauntlet has been thrown :twisted:
totally. I gotta get my act together if i want any chance of doing it with him in 2007.
mrj

Post by mrj »

flippo wrote:hey I like the idea of that, being able to lock the suspension. Think that answered my question. Just gotta find out of any bikes come with that stock, don't want to have to spend much after market dollars.

Cheers guys!
Yeah, been out of the game a little while but I know rock shox has a model with a lock out lever that you mount on ur handlebar. Stil, I think its a stupid idea. The only time front suspension really gets in the way is when you are doing really steep climbing (the steep where you have to basically put the handlebar in your gut but crouch low to retain traction on the rear tire).

As for full sus, ALL full sus bikes lose torque due to suspension except for non active systems such as the old GT RTS and Mountain Cycle San Andreas. Only problem is these systems also lock out under pedalling or using the rear brake. I cant think of a situation in DH MTB where you are not pedalling or using the rear brake (when airborne is a possible exception I suppose).

Full sus rocks though. I remember my first DH experience on a proper full sus and the improvement in downhill cornering (especially through braking and stutter bumps) blew my mind..... and then I hit a tree.

as for bike holidays. DH MTB holiday in Germany (Black Forest) would be ideal. Gondolas and Chairlifts up, ball tearing trails on the way down.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
flippo

Post by flippo »

just paid visit to bike shop in lunch break. Bloke recons that you need to spend a fair bit over 1k to get rear suspension that you will not lose lots of energy through. Think i'll just just some nice tight front folk shorks. He recomended a "Giant". Had all shimano biz, disk breaks, about $760? Seemed pretty light and strong.
lucas
emission reductionist

Post by lucas »

flippo wrote:just paid visit to bike shop in lunch break. Bloke recons that you need to a fair bit over 1k to get rear suspension that you will not lose lots of energy through. Think i'll just just some nice tight front folk shorks. He recomended a "Giant". Had all shimano biz, disk breaks, about $760? Seemed pretty light and strong.
Giant seems pretty good value for money to me, especially around that price range. The mountain bike I used to have was a Giant Yukon (around the same price). Served me very well and its current owner is very happy with it too.

Did you take it for a test ride? What did you think?
"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted." - Martin Luther King Jr.
mrj

Post by mrj »

flippo wrote:just paid visit to bike shop in lunch break. Bloke recons that you need to spend a fair bit over 1k to get rear suspension that you will not lose lots of energy through. Think i'll just just some nice tight front folk shorks. He recomended a "Giant". Had all shimano biz, disk breaks, about $760? Seemed pretty light and strong.
depends what you want to use it for I suppose. if on the road is all you want it for then that bike should be fine. if you intend to go off roading though you might have to spend a bit extra. cheaper bikes have cheaper parts that get mashed easier so off road it is worth spending the cash for

strong forks
good drivetrain
strong wheels

Frames are much of a muchness IMO
flippo

Post by flippo »

heaps lighter than the old school mountains from days of yore. Disc brakes where pretty good to. Big fella, need good brakes :lol:. Tires where pretty chunky for road driving tho. Riding to work would be along a gravel track and beach tho and I mainly want it for that and going camping, and getting around sorento/portsea also. So not alot of long distance road driving or anything. roads are pretty fucked around here anyway.
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

one more medicated peacefull moment
www.dubstep.com.au
Friday

Post by Friday »

from the date this thread was created i put off buying a new bike far too long....

however last week i got a great new bike - picked it up on the weekend... and today was my first day riding to work!

big up!!

it's going to take lil getting used to but i'm liking it already :D 8)
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

I saw a bike yesterday made by a company called Melbourne and it was the MBC model.

Lucas making his own bikes now?
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
gnat

Post by gnat »

I'm getting a bike too. Saw one on the weekend at Sydney Rd bike shop but have no idea. I just wanna ride it to work is all.

I like the racing stripes on this one- it's coolio.

I'd better talk to LC for proper advice methinx
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
lucas
emission reductionist

Post by lucas »

:smt041
"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted." - Martin Luther King Jr.
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

with the amount of people on this site wanting to buy a bike, I reckon we should organise a bulk discount

Sammy Girl & I have been looking at pushies too
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

getting a road bike next week. first time in over 12 years!
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
gnat

Post by gnat »

LC is squelching in his jox right now

LOL!
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
ShiKung

Post by ShiKung »

Biking is king!!

Personally if your resonably fit get a BMX with a Huge Crank! You never need another urban-mobile ever!

Ok you dont have gears but you'll be surprised how much you only need gears on climbs. I've talked to Personal Trainers that say Gears take all the fitness work out of Cycling.

BMX's are Light, easy to carry, very stable, easier to get through traffic with and are like a full body work out, you use your arms heaps!

If you do have to bike more than 30-45 mins in one direction though it'd be a bit of a push but they fit easily onto Trains!!

I live in North Fitzroy and have been biking into the CBD a bit for work lately and it only takes me 20 mins! And I beat MTB's all the time.

True these aren't for everyone but they are a great option especially if you live in an apartment.

I've ridden a few differnet bikes in my time and I love my BMX and cant imagine going back
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

BMXs are for midgets, though. ;)
ShiKung

Post by ShiKung »

system wrote:BMXs are for midgets, though. ;)
Yeah have you not seen me and fents Play. Those Road cases are for us to stand on!! They dont hold records!
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

:lol:

try and find me a BMX frame that's 22" and we'll talk. :)
nhd

Post by nhd »

im looking for an 80s chrome bmx, racer style so it isnt too heavy

anyone got one in good condition, let me know!!
aspekt

Post by aspekt »

system wrote:getting a road bike next week. first time in over 12 years!
me too. arrives on friday. oooh baby
gnat

Post by gnat »

The humble bike is the new I River
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

:nomoreblatantcrosspromotionplease: :D
Mellogs

Post by Mellogs »

...and basically that's the situation
gnat

Post by gnat »

Pending convo with the Bike Pariah Mr Chan, I'm going to wander up and layby my bike this weekend. 4 weeks time: new, shiny, speedy.

w00t!
ShiKung

Post by ShiKung »

My bike was busted for a while and I've just got it fixed and been biking around the last 2 days and fully loving it again. Apart from my thighs. Such a great way to spend a day like today!!
aspekt

Post by aspekt »

woo! my bike arrived today.
it's pretty awesome. prolly need to spend another $1k to get it where i want it. needs a new paint job. it looks well 90s =(
Charlie73
Location: Somewhere between South @ North.... Melbourne that is

Post by Charlie73 »

system wrote:
beatski wrote:I ride a mountain bike to work everyday. Its not very ideal for long rides. If you have to ride some distance I would go for a hybrid bike. Has the speed and lightness of a racer and has the strength of a mountain bike.
riding comfort all depends on your seat-to-bars-tocranks height ratios mate. having a comfy seat helps too.
English please..... I am also in the market for a bike, live Nth Melbourne...werk South Melbourne, i currently walk most days, although i do get a lift to Collins st at the moment.... But in winter the walking will get less, so would like a bike to turn the 40 minute walk twice a day into a 20minute ride....

Will be locked onto the front porch in the evenings, so don't want to spend too much as it will be out in the elements all the time
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

I'll give you the lowdown over the 'phone, matey. :thumbup:
aspekt

Post by aspekt »

i have a mountain bike for commuting. it's fine. i quite easily did 60 odd kms of riding here and there the other day. system is spot on about the right ratios.

i got measured up at beasley cycles the other week for my new bike. basically you get the exact measurements for frame size, top tube angle, crank lengths etc. cost me $50. if you're getting a new bike (or a second hand one) it's worth doing it properly. the more better suited the bike is to you, the more you'll enjoy riding.
Rents

Post by Rents »

I got another F#!$|#!* flat tyre today riding to work... Twice now in a week. Rode over half a bottle coz it was dark and i didn't see it and was half asleep! So annoying.

Buy a giant. Giants rocks. :)
aspekt

Post by aspekt »

Rents wrote:I got another F#!$|#!* flat tyre today riding to work... Twice now in a week. Rode over half a bottle coz it was dark and i didn't see it and was half asleep! So annoying.

Buy a giant. Giants rocks. :)
i've only ever had one flat tyre. i'm probably jinxing myself everytime i say this and i know people who have had 3 in a day.
yenks

Post by yenks »

i have a free female bike that i really want to get rid of, as its hogging the space in my shed that my own bike needs..

here is a pic

it has a basket and everything... :lol:

this is free to anyone that wants it that can come and get it from me in hawthorn... it works fine, all gears work and stuff. its just unwanted...and i cbf to sell it..
aspekt

Post by aspekt »

here's my new baby. can't wait to get it resprayed
Charlie73
Location: Somewhere between South @ North.... Melbourne that is

Post by Charlie73 »

yenks wrote:i have a free female bike that i really want to get rid of, as its hogging the space in my shed that my own bike needs..

here is a pic

it has a basket and everything... :lol:

this is free to anyone that wants it that can come and get it from me in hawthorn... it works fine, all gears work and stuff. its just unwanted...and i cbf to sell it..
I am interested in said bike, i just need something that gets me from A to B, going to NZ in May so don't really want to spend much.......
How big is it? I am pretty short....
yenks

Post by yenks »

Charlie73 wrote: I am interested in said bike, i just need something that gets me from A to B, going to NZ in May so don't really want to spend much.......
How big is it? I am pretty short....
Sorry the bike has already been scooped up
resist

Post by resist »

since we're posting our rides, heres my baby:
lucas
emission reductionist

Post by lucas »

Mine:

mrj

Post by mrj »

resist wrote:since we're posting our rides, heres my baby:
word to that resist, the San Andreas is a classic and awesome bike!!! 8)
resist

Post by resist »

mrj wrote: word to that resist, the San Andreas is a classic and awesome bike!!! 8)
cheers man! the thing is like 8 years old and i haven't needed to update any parts, except for a worn out drivetrain. i have NEVER serviced the rear suspension or the bombers. but the bike still rides like a dream... and i've thrown a lot at it... worth every cent.

i'm about to buy a new wheelset and a pair of those Avid ball bearing discs, only because the brake pads on my current brakes finally wore out (which have also never been replaced since i bought the bike!)
mrj

Post by mrj »

resist wrote:
mrj wrote: word to that resist, the San Andreas is a classic and awesome bike!!! 8)
cheers man! the thing is like 8 years old and i haven't needed to update any parts, except for a worn out drivetrain. i have NEVER serviced the rear suspension or the bombers. but the bike still rides like a dream... and i've thrown a lot at it... worth every cent.

i'm about to buy a new wheelset and a pair of those Avid ball bearing discs, only because the brake pads on my current brakes finally wore out (which have also never been replaced since i bought the bike!)
Yeah, the San Andreas is bombproof.

Nice one on the Avid's. Saw that you were running the old Magura's, totally cool old school equipment (that always worked a treat mind you).

Magura's are the bomb. :scr1pt: at the bombers too, always wanted a pair, but was always stuck with my Judy's.

Ahhhhhhhhh MTB reminiscing. Love it.
resist

Post by resist »

mrj wrote: Yeah, the San Andreas is bombproof.

Nice one on the Avid's. Saw that you were running the old Magura's, totally cool old school equipment (that always worked a treat mind you).

Magura's are the bomb. :scr1pt: at the bombers too, always wanted a pair, but was always stuck with my Judy's.

Ahhhhhhhhh MTB reminiscing. Love it.
Yep the Maguras still work just as well as my mates Hope discs, which cost him like $300 a wheel. I wouldn't even be touching them if the pads hadn't worn out... but they're like $40 to replace, so I figured its a good time to update.

Judy's were the ultimate XC fork though... When I first started riding I was always drooling over the Trek Y33 which had them:
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

Marzocchi :love:

system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

who'd have thought it was an Italian company. :hahaha:

aspekt

Post by aspekt »

i wish my bike pulled girls like that =(
resist

Post by resist »

system wrote:Marzocchi :love:

mmm mmm, Marzocchi.

They're literally bombproof, I've bottemed them out plenty of times, on concrete and dirt. I've had mine since like 1998-ish. They're still as plush as anything else I've ridden, including new models.

Mind you, I haven't ridden Monster T's!!!
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

:shock: that's a freakin' sweet lookin' ride
bobinabottle

Post by bobinabottle »

fark those pro downhill bikes look hot

back in my big mtb days i used to go into vic mtb all the time just to look at them ;)
Stray

Post by Stray »

jesus! How much travel do those front forks have!?!