bikes

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
mrj

Post by mrj »

^^ I saw Jared Rando snap the rear section of one of those bikes once at Mt Buller. Was pretty full on as it was in the top sections and he was going pretty quick (as he is want to do, given that he's one of the fastest riders in Australia).

Rear swingarm just completley sheared in half. CRAZY :shock:
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
resist

Post by resist »

mrj wrote:^^ I saw Jared Rando snap the rear section of one of those bikes once at Mt Buller. Was pretty full on as it was in the top sections and he was going pretty quick (as he is want to do, given that he's one of the fastest riders in Australia).

Rear swingarm just completley sheared in half. CRAZY :shock:
Man. Thats pretty impressive. I used to know a couple of guys who were 90kg plus, they'd eat bikes for breakfast.. glad it wasn't me.

My mainframe cracked 6 months after I bought it. Obviously they replaced it no questions asked. I even got to choose whatever colour I wanted (I changed from red to BLACK!). The replacement has lasted like 7 years, so theres definitely a level of variance in the frames... they are handmade after all.
lucas
emission reductionist

Post by lucas »

Hotness:

"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted." - Martin Luther King Jr.
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

is that yours Lucas? How does it stand up by itself?

doh. edit.. i see bike stand now :oops:
lucas
emission reductionist

Post by lucas »

Not mine.

I wish. :)
"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted." - Martin Luther King Jr.
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

lucas wrote:Not mine.

I wish. :)
So clean. Owner must be even more in love with pushies than you :D :wink:
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

where are the breaks!?

:teef:
one more medicated peacefull moment
www.dubstep.com.au
lucas
emission reductionist

Post by lucas »

If it aint fixed it's broken. :)
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

awesome details on the frame. :thumbup:
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
aspekt

Post by aspekt »

that bike is sex.
There's no justice, just us.
nhd

Post by nhd »

seriously
how would you stop ??

or is it just a track bike
lucas
emission reductionist

Post by lucas »

nhd wrote:seriously
how would you stop ??

or is it just a track bike
Yep, it's a track bike. Fixed gear & brakeless. With a bit of practise you can ride 'em in the city no probs. Apply some backwards pressure against the pedals, and if things get really hairy you can lean forward and skip/skid the rear wheel.
aspekt

Post by aspekt »

anyone know the best place to get a bike resprayed? I'm thinking of getting my decks done the same colour/scheme while i'm at it =D
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

almost ready to purchase my new bike!

Cannondale Bad Boy Disc or Giant Talon, both 07' models. It's taken me so long since last year, but now with fuel prices and everything else going on I've saved enough for a decent bike. I can't wait.

Can anyone recommend some type of gel seat brand and kevlar slick tyres to go with? I was told the continentals are ok, but have a heavier inner lining and dritter kevlars was the way to go.

:drool:
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

for Lucas:

I saw a t-shirt for you the other day....

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE BIKE

in massive white letters on a black tee
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
mrj

Post by mrj »

Rob M wrote:almost ready to purchase my new bike!

Cannondale Bad Boy Disc or Giant Talon, both 07' models. It's taken me so long since last year, but now with fuel prices and everything else going on I've saved enough for a decent bike. I can't wait.

Can anyone recommend some type of gel seat brand and kevlar slick tyres to go with? I was told the continentals are ok, but have a heavier inner lining and dritter kevlars was the way to go.

:drool:
Cannondale will always be more expensive than the equivalent Giant model, the main reason just being that Cannondale charge more just cos they can.

Having said that I've never seen anyone break a Cannondale bike. I have seen people break a Giant bike. Depends on what you want it for though i guess.

As far as tires go....

The best place to save weight on your bike is where there is rotating weight (so mainly wheels) and weight saved on the outside (tires and rims) is better than weight saved in the middle of the wheel).

So basically if you have money to spend and can save either 40 grams on your tire, or 40 grams at the hub (centre) you are better to go for the tire because it makes more difference to the amount of energy needed to push the bike along at any given velocity.

So yeah, tires matter. I'd go for lighter tires, but having said that continental are pretty good tires too. I've never heard of dritter, but then again my bike knowledge is not what it used to be.
Friday

Post by Friday »

i rode my bike to my new work today for the first time. cruisy ride - all down hill. going home might be harder :P

hardest part this morning was carrying it up all the stairs at the espy to my office :? didn't want to leave it out on the street in st kilda. the guys said next time we can just lock it up in the box office downstairs though which is a better option i reckon :P

do any of you girls out there know a practical solution for when you're riding along wearing a skirt and the wind keeps blowing it up in your face? :? :(

i reckon i need to weight it down somehow :?
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

yes. double sided tape.

i just bought a new bike, i should take a pic of it, its is fucking phat.

the boyz at bike now gave me 30% off too, it pays to know peeple in the know dunnit??
Friday

Post by Friday »

ghetto kitty wrote:yes. double sided tape.
:lol:

that's a great idea! it was getting seriously embarrasing today!
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

mrj wrote:

Cannondale will always be more expensive than the equivalent Giant model, the main reason just being that Cannondale charge more just cos they can.

Having said that I've never seen anyone break a Cannondale bike. I have seen people break a Giant bike. Depends on what you want it for though i guess.

As far as tires go....

The best place to save weight on your bike is where there is rotating weight (so mainly wheels) and weight saved on the outside (tires and rims) is better than weight saved in the middle of the wheel).

So basically if you have money to spend and can save either 40 grams on your tire, or 40 grams at the hub (centre) you are better to go for the tire because it makes more difference to the amount of energy needed to push the bike along at any given velocity.

So yeah, tires matter. I'd go for lighter tires, but having said that continental are pretty good tires too. I've never heard of dritter, but then again my bike knowledge is not what it used to be.
Guy at store told me that you'd mainly want the particular cannondale I was going for if you're using it for commuting on some days, change the wheel set on other days when you want to do some serious downhill thrashing. I'd just initially be interested in the commuting part. The cool thing is the bad boy series are basically MTB with hybrid road bike wheels, but are easily interchangeable.

I was informed that as a result, it's better than a hybrid, and you get the speed of a road bike all in a mtb package. Kinda wierd when it's all segmented like that. But makes me think that with it's open-ended options and future-proofing abilities that it might be the bike to invest in.

I'm guessing the price discrepency is the fact that Giants are made in Taiwan and Cannondales are made in USA. But with comparable components there is a $1000 difference. So i'm leaning towards the Giant bike atm. The fork shocks look amazing on the cannondales though--i'm guessing they are fluid hydraulics, and not air. I'm amazed at technology these days. Haven't ridden for ages.

as far as dritter tyres are concerned, I was told that the inner lining kevlar is much lighter than the continental equivelant. But that being said, there's only a small weight discrepency and to sum up; either tyre choice is awesome either way :)

...now I just don't know what gel seat to get as I hate the stock seats!
aspekt

Post by aspekt »

i'd go the cannondale because it's totally hot. cannondales are handmade in the USA afaik which obviously contributes to a higher cost. the giant will probably suit your needs just as much but be less hot.

I've got some geax slicks that are pretty good. only had one puncture. they're also 100psi which is quite nice.
i'd sacrifice light weight for durability if you're riding around the city. i have a feeling that these have kevlar lining as well.
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

AMERICA! ....F*CK YEH!
mrj

Post by mrj »

Rob M wrote:
mrj wrote:

As far as tires go....

Guy at store told me that you'd mainly want the particular cannondale I was going for if you're using it for commuting on some days, change the wheel set on other days when you want to do some serious downhill thrashing. I'd just initially be interested in the commuting part. The cool thing is the bad boy series are basically MTB with hybrid road bike wheels, but are easily interchangeable.

I was informed that as a result, it's better than a hybrid, and you get the speed of a road bike all in a mtb package. Kinda wierd when it's all segmented like that. But makes me think that with it's open-ended options and future-proofing abilities that it might be the bike to invest in.

I'm guessing the price discrepency is the fact that Giants are made in Taiwan and Cannondales are made in USA. But with comparable components there is a $1000 difference. So i'm leaning towards the Giant bike atm. The fork shocks look amazing on the cannondales though--i'm guessing they are fluid hydraulics, and not air. I'm amazed at technology these days. Haven't ridden for ages.

as far as dritter tyres are concerned, I was told that the inner lining kevlar is much lighter than the continental equivelant. But that being said, there's only a small weight discrepency and to sum up; either tyre choice is awesome either way :)

...now I just don't know what gel seat to get as I hate the stock seats!
If youre thinking of a gel seat because it would be more comfortable you might not be right.

Gel seats are generally a good idea for girls because their weight distribution (basically how they sit) is a bit different for guys. Non gel seats tend to be more comfortable for guys. Gel seats add padding, but for guys this generally means your dick gets more squished and will go numb.

so general rule

Gel seats for girls = yes

Gel seats for boys - no
nic

Post by nic »

as far as dritter tyres are concerned, I was told that the inner lining kevlar is much lighter than the continental equivelant. But that being said, there's only a small weight discrepency and to sum up; either tyre choice is awesome either way Smile
rotational weight is like jesus. get lightweight wheels and even a clunky frame will feel quick. Get light wheels and cry when you gutter bash em. Gte the Giant, best value.
B0mBjAcK

Post by B0mBjAcK »

Hmmm I want a bike now... Time to go shopping :)
That's so plausible I can't believe it!
XVi32 - It's a blog
Kulture - Melbourne Jungle/D&B blog
Melbourne D&B - Melbourne D&B Forum
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

mrj wrote: If youre thinking of a gel seat because it would be more comfortable you might not be right.

Gel seats are generally a good idea for girls because their weight distribution (basically how they sit) is a bit different for guys. Non gel seats tend to be more comfortable for guys. Gel seats add padding, but for guys this generally means your dick gets more squished and will go numb.

so general rule

Gel seats for boys - no
So you reckon the seats with the slits in between are the way to go?
Friday

Post by Friday »

i was right - riding home was harder tonight than it was getting there this morning...

people drive like idiots at 7pm too - all desperate to get home and totally ignore that there is a bike lane there :? :roll:
mrj

Post by mrj »

Rob M wrote:
mrj wrote: If youre thinking of a gel seat because it would be more comfortable you might not be right.

so general rule

Gel seats for boys - no
So you reckon the seats with the slits in between are the way to go?
No personal experience with the fully slit seat but yeah, they may look really wrong and seem like a stupid idea but seats tend to be funny that way.

You can't really tell what sort of seat you need until you've done some good rides. Seats don't make much of a difference on a 1/2 hour ride. But they make a pretty noticable difference on a 6 hour ride. And the difference in seat can make a huge difference on the pain scale if you try riding 6 hours a day say 5 days in a row.

I say go with the stock standard seat that comes with the bike, and see how you go.

One thing that makes just as much difference with the type of seat is how its adjusted. The best seat in the world can still be pretty painful unless you get it set up right for you.
aspekt

Post by aspekt »

mrj wrote: No personal experience with the fully slit seat but yeah, they may look really wrong and seem like a stupid idea but seats tend to be funny that way.

You can't really tell what sort of seat you need until you've done some good rides. Seats don't make much of a difference on a 1/2 hour ride. But they make a pretty noticable difference on a 6 hour ride. And the difference in seat can make a huge difference on the pain scale if you try riding 6 hours a day say 5 days in a row.

I say go with the stock standard seat that comes with the bike, and see how you go.

One thing that makes just as much difference with the type of seat is how its adjusted. The best seat in the world can still be pretty painful unless you get it set up right for you.
spot on.

I've used gel seats and they're good. It's more a case of mens seats vs girls seats (girls and guys arses are anatomically different).
Go with the stock seat. It will probably be quite comfortable for a bit but your arse will harden up (this is the muscles but also the skin as well [don't worry it won't go leathery or anything]) you'll probably find you'll want a thinner and harder seat later on as you find that the soft seat that came stock doesn't really provide the support you need.

unlike things like shoes, there is no real clearcut way to work out which seat is going to be best for you and it really is a trial and error thing. I gather that the freedom machine has some sort of gel pad thing you sit on to work out where your arse bones are but I haven't really heard about this method and afaik the only way is to buy one and ride on it for a few weeks.
gnat

Post by gnat »

My bike is awesome.

I love it

That is all
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
aspekt

Post by aspekt »

gnat wrote:My bike is awesome.

I love it

That is all
all three of my bikes are awesome =D
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

I found the bike I want to buy yesterday. I can't afford it right now, so I might lay-by it

It's a Giant Avalanche 2.0, can't find a picture of it though
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Cannondales are sick!
resist

Post by resist »

I see the bike thread has come up again... I got a new bike about 2 months ago, a Mountain Cycle Sin, will post a picture later.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

My favourite bike as a kiddie:

B0mBjAcK

Post by B0mBjAcK »

Just brought myself a new bike today :D Found out how unfit I was too! Glad I didn't try riding it ALL the way home!

XVi32 - It's a blog
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

nice!
B0mBjAcK

Post by B0mBjAcK »

Hell yeah! ;) It's sxy! Now I try and find all the bumps with that suspention ;)
XVi32 - It's a blog
resist

Post by resist »

Heres my new one:

Testing the suspension at Windsor:
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

Big Up the MB.C Bike MAssive!

I just bought a newbie..........

8)
B0mBjAcK

Post by B0mBjAcK »

OOooo eeerr! Some nice bikes about. We should all go on a big MB.C bike ride!!! Yaay!

Anyone know of any good off road places to ride?
XVi32 - It's a blog
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

I got a good quote at brunswick st cycles for the cannondales. they dropped a further 13% off the retail if we got two bikes, but my mates pulled out in buying one :(

sad. now i'm reconsidering getting the Giant Talon. Still an awesome bike, but the cannondales in their minimalistic splendor look so damn good in the flesh. gutted x(
djboganofbeatz

Post by djboganofbeatz »

I'v got a Giant Iguana, I guess I should go out riding more, we have some pretty mad tracks in Warrandyte... Im just to slack to leave the house.
resist

Post by resist »

B0mBjAcK wrote: Anyone know of any good off road places to ride?
Within Melbourne, you cant beat Studley Park. Its quite large and HEAPS of nice singletrail. Once you're riding there its hard to believe you're so close to the city.
B0mBjAcK

Post by B0mBjAcK »

resist wrote:
B0mBjAcK wrote: Anyone know of any good off road places to ride?
Within Melbourne, you cant beat Studley Park. Its quite large and HEAPS of nice singletrail. Once you're riding there its hard to believe you're so close to the city.
Sweet when I got a weekend off n I'm not going out to a party I'll check it. Cheers :thumbright:

I think Ima gonna go down to the old primary school I used to go to where there is a big rough slope and thrash about there a bit ;)
XVi32 - It's a blog
aspekt

Post by aspekt »

After months of deliberation, I finally bit the bullet and got my road bike repainted. It's midnight blue and looks amazing in full sun.
here are some photos of my pride and joy.

unf.
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

sweet!

my new bikes just came in, picking it up next week.

Giant Talon '07 + Shwalbe Semi-Slicks. I'm busting for a decent ride, having some mad weather of late.

Time to setup The Beer and Bike Annual.

bippla bippla, bippla bippla... proper boh i tell thee!
gaz

Post by gaz »

Direktor wrote:My favourite bike as a kiddie:

Impressive cantilever.
numz

Post by numz »

rwandan biking
huh
Friday

Post by Friday »

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/ ... 49697.html

i wonder what kind of prizes they'll be?!