bikes

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
JAMESSSS

Re: bikes

Post by JAMESSSS »

Will go down at lunch!
Don't hate me for house
deviant

Post by deviant »

I'm pretty sure Ghetto Kitty has one of those that she was considering selling. It's pretty much exactly the same as the pic you posted.

I think they are call "step-through" frames (amoung possible other terms).
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

yeah those ladies frames are step overs. mixte's are the other ones with the massively long stays running thru them

i can get these frames new.

http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Step into??

Watch the posted video on YouTube.

Not really into mixte, I like the curved dutch style better.

PAGING GHETTO KITTY!
Don't hate me for house
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Thinking about this one if I can get price down.

http://melbourne.gumtree.com.au/c-ViewA ... =296991212

Hugh / others what questions should I ask other than what is new and if it has been in any crashes?

Thoughts?
Don't hate me for house
aroes

Post by aroes »

Take a good look at the frame. If there are cracks in the joins or bends in the wrong places it's prob been crashed hard, making it a death trap

As for the state of the drivetrain and brakes, take it for a spin around the block, as that's prob the best way to tell if anything's fucked. Listen for noises and be aware of any grinding/squeaking etc

Lift the bike from both ends and give each wheel a big spin. Look for buckle in the rims

Check wear on the tyres/brake pads etc, and look to see if the owner's bothered to keep the chain clean and lubricated

All just common sense stuff really

If you don't know what to look for sometimes it can be hard, as you'll end up paying good coin for what is essentially a stock standard shitty cheap frame and some really shonky generic components

If you're looking at ads, post some up here and we can opine if you like. That one you posted looks ok, very generic no name type stuff though. How much they asking for it?
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

480, sure I could get them down to 400 though.

All the bits you mentioned are new, although I'm sure they are inexpensive new not swish new.
Don't hate me for house
aroes

Post by aroes »

another thing......make sure she rides it before you buy it

a bike that doesn't fit properly is far from enjoyable to ride, and will likely sit in the shed for years gathering dust

is it a surprise gift? haha
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

yup

Rode the other one, think I will leave it and go to Pony now.
Don't hate me for house
mrj

Post by mrj »

JAMESSSS wrote:Will go down at lunch!
theres nothing like eating out!
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

Oh dear....
nic

Post by nic »

:roll:
Sociopathic

Post by Sociopathic »

OK I couldn't think of anywhere else to post this and I figured alot of people here being into biking you'd know a bit.

I'm after a backpack thats big enough to fit in say my purse, phone, pair of pants, shirt, keys just basically stuff needed to be carried to and from work, but something that's a snug fit so if I jog with it on it's not going to shift everywhere and hit me etc etc.
Most of the packs I've come across seem to be for cycling so I figured here was a good place to ask.

I don't need a water bladder or anything, it's only really jogging to and from work which is only 3km. I found one which looks pretty much like what I'm after which is called an osprey talon 11 wondering if anyone here has any other suggestions?
The fridge is angry, the cheese told me so.

Watch out for the penguins, they are comming
aroes

Post by aroes »

Running with a backpack on sucks, hence most of the ones 'designed for' running are tiny. The more comfortable it is to run with, the less stuff you'll be able to fit in it

Maybe go to crumpler. They used to do a bag called the bumper issue which is roughly the size you're describing. It has a bladder, but you can remove it. If they've stopped making it, they prob still have some old stock.
retzie

Post by retzie »

aroes wrote:Running with a backpack on sucks
+ 8 million.

Your best bet is probably a low-profile water pack with the bladder taken out.
deviant wrote:I'm some sort of man-machine.
deviant

Post by deviant »

bladder
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

so many bladders

aroes

Post by aroes »

Big the fuck up Cadel Evans

A fairly strange unit who you prob wouldn't wanna have a beer with, but a courageous and deserving winner of the tour

Has ridden with a massive pair of nuts for three weeks, and provided there isn't some kind of freak accident tomorow, will be the first Australian to bring home the crown

Fuck yeah
mrj

Post by mrj »

now watch for a further massive surge in interest in road cycling in Australia's youth.

not a bad time to own a bike shop (or a health insurer lol)
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
quick

Post by quick »

well done Evans!!! do it for The Little Mule! :P
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

quick wrote:well done Evans!!! do it for The Little Mule! :P
I'm not sure The Little Mule has much do with him winning the Tour De France... but correct me if I'm wrong :P
...................................................................................................................................................
no more epilepsy raptor jesus
quick

Post by quick »

it so does... now everyone will want to be an awesome cyclist and will need awesome bikes and will need to get them from the little mule... see
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

quick wrote:it so does... now everyone will want to be an awesome cyclist and will need awesome bikes and will need to get them from the little mule... see
now that you put it like that :retzielikes:
...................................................................................................................................................
no more epilepsy raptor jesus
deviant

Post by deviant »

amazing effort from Cadel... great to watch
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

mrj wrote:not a bad time to own a bike shop
It'll certainly help them, but I'd imagine serious bike shops are losing loads of sales to online sites, predominantly the English ones.

Big ups Cadel!!!!
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

andy_hoffman wrote:
quick wrote:well done Evans!!! do it for The Little Mule! :P
I'm not sure The Little Mule has much do with him winning the Tour De France... but correct me if I'm wrong :P
I'd say his "sponsership" from Pfizer had more to do with it :P
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

we did sell 3 bikes on the weekend so... thanks!
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Did you tell the buyers they could probably race them in the tour in a few years?
Don't hate me for house
quick

Post by quick »

defo should say that
deviant

Post by deviant »

some of the attitudes displayed in the comments here are pretty disgusting imo..

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/death ... 1hx7l.html?

edit: ummmm
I think that the problem here is cyclist attitudes. For example, i was driving to pick up my son on saturday morning from soccer practice, and was waiting a little behind the first car at the lights. A cyclist came up to my driver side window and put his hand on my car roof to steady himself!!

i was shocked at first at the rudeness and arrogance displayed here, and when i asked him to take his hand off my car he told me to shut up!!!

i had enough, i shoved open my door, right into his body / bike and knocked him off onto the road. I got off and kicked him in the legs a few times before driving off.

i hope he can never ride again.

Stop thinking you own the road, im looking out for you guys now!
:?
lilstormer

Post by lilstormer »

deviant wrote:some of the attitudes displayed in the comments here are pretty disgusting imo..

I think that the problem here is cyclist attitudes. For example, i was driving to pick up my son on saturday morning from soccer practice, and was waiting a little behind the first car at the lights. A cyclist came up to my driver side window and put his hand on my car roof to steady himself!!

i was shocked at first at the rudeness and arrogance displayed here, and when i asked him to take his hand off my car he told me to shut up!!!

i had enough, i shoved open my door, right into his body / bike and knocked him off onto the road. I got off and kicked him in the legs a few times before driving off.

Seems fair enough... cyclist puts hand on car, driver beats the shite out of them for it. I mean cars are much more important than people aren't they...

:teef:
Free to those that can afford it, very expensive to those that can't.
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

deviant wrote:some of the attitudes displayed in the comments here are pretty disgusting imo..

I'm going to take a flying leap to a conclusion here and say I think he's taking the piss Dan.
deviant

Post by deviant »

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/societ ... 1i079.html

this guy seems like a complete bell-end tbh
lilstormer

Post by lilstormer »

May be a bell end, but not a guy...
aroes

Post by aroes »

deviant wrote:http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/societ ... 1i079.html

this guy seems like a complete bell-end tbh
That's a bit of a harsh label....what made you come to that conclusion?

I reckon she makes some really valid points. Must admit though that her argument pretty much collapses in a smelly heap when, following her diatribe about how unsafe and deadly Melbourne's roads and motorists can be, she proudly proclaims that she doesn't wear a helmet.

Interesting logic, or possibly lack thereof
deviant

Post by deviant »

way over the top article, sure some people are cunts etc etc... but the roads aren't that bad. Plus the helmet thing jeez.. way to totally lose your credibility.
aroes

Post by aroes »

yeah the helmet thing made me cringe/lol

i guess it's all subjective at the end of the day hey.....if you've been on the receiving end of bare cuntery while riding your bike (i have), then i guess you're more likely to have a far more negative and angsty attitude towards things

everyone's perspective is different. like i said, i reckon she made a bunch of good points, but unfortunately she came off sounding a bit hot headed and misguided
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Finally. I get my replacement forks today.... over 2-months wait, my bike will be back to normal tonight! Looking forward to tomorrow's ride.
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

they announced melbourne getting bike city status at little mule last thursday hehehe.
a man in a white BMW on Nicholson Street
why people choose to ride on busy streets such as nicholson st and princes st (peak hour wtf deathwish) is beyond me. plenty of much safer ways to ride to get where you want!
and I don't wear a helmet.
argh!

i've been taken out a couple of times by last minute car craziness but if you're riding sensibly and are aware of what might happen in certain spots and know how to actually operate your bike you can avoid this most of the time. the majority of bike commuters are complete tools on the road. still dont know how more people haven't killed themselves.

there's a difference between commuters and serious riders.
lilstormer

Post by lilstormer »

Drivers can be aggressive and unpleasant, but the same can be said of cyclists. Witnessed a male cyclist absolutely abuse a female driver for not indicating, in a side road where he was at no risk. Totally scared the woman to death and just encourages drivers to hate cyclists. She should have indicated but there was a better way to convey the message. When I pressed him about his attitude he was totally aggressive "you obviously haven't been riding for as long as I have" blah blah... (he was wrong, I was probably riding a bike before he was born). He was an idiot, but maybe he was just permanently angry 'cos he was a ginga.

I used to be aggressive and mardy with drivers when I first started to commute... realised it was not helpful. These days with a happier attitude I have far less problems with drivers. Just sayin...

:stirthepot:
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

lilstormer wrote:I used to be aggressive and mardy with drivers when I first started to commute... realised it was not helpful. These days with a happier attitude I have far less problems with drivers. Just sayin...

yep i just like to sutbly let drivers know they should be aware of bikes by waving at them or saying gday through their open window or something hah. they're usually like "where the hell did you come from?" well you are in the bike lane guy!
aroes

Post by aroes »

lilstormer wrote:Drivers can be aggressive and unpleasant, but the same can be said of cyclists. Witnessed a male cyclist absolutely abuse a female driver for not indicating, in a side road where he was at no risk. Totally scared the woman to death and just encourages drivers to hate cyclists. She should have indicated but there was a better way to convey the message. When I pressed him about his attitude he was totally aggressive "you obviously haven't been riding for as long as I have" blah blah... (he was wrong, I was probably riding a bike before he was born). He was an idiot, but maybe he was just permanently angry 'cos he was a ginga.

I used to be aggressive and mardy with drivers when I first started to commute... realised it was not helpful. These days with a happier attitude I have far less problems with drivers. Just sayin...

yeah totes, a good attitude def goes a long way to having a more positive experience on the roads, or any other part of life for that matter

call me cynical, but riding round with a smile on your dial and flowers in your hair isn't gonna save you from aggressive dickheads who wanna prove a point

if i remember correctly, i was in a pretty cheerful mood the night i was almost run off the road then assaulted. refer to above story for specifics

we could back and forth on this til the end of time, cyclists and motorists will never see eye to eye, and there will always be misrepresentative parties on both sides

i think huge is onto something when he says that people are nuts to ride on busy roads during peak hour. it would be good if this kind of common sense approach was more widespread, instead of the whole "i am a cyclist, yes this road is clogged with peak hour traffic, but i am legally entitled to ride on it and you better not fuck with me and my opressed brethren"
lilstormer

Post by lilstormer »

I agree that a good attitude can't change arseholes into angels, however it can prevent things going sour sometimes too. Huge is spot on re staying off busy roads... canna believe people ride up Nicholson st tbh. I always take the quieter roads, it's a much more pleasant riding experience.
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

and there's a bike lane on both the streets parallel to nicholson! sydney road has a bike path all the way up just one street over. granted princes st/alexander parade might not have but fucked if im riding along there!
aroes

Post by aroes »

huge wrote: sydney road has a bike path all the way up just one street over
sure does, and about 3 days after getting whacked in the head riding up sydney rd (at an off peak time), i decided to use the bike path and had some tool jump out in front of me from a dark shadow and go "RARRR!!!". hilarious yes, but could've ended badly

not trying to argue just for the sake of it, but i'm sure you can appreciate that by the end of that week i was a total nervous wreck, and had actually done absolutely nothing to deserve any of the treatment i copped
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

yep - i ride most days from northcote - drummond or canning. when i do drive, i just don't understand why people take nicholson or lygon! its like a deathwish and deliberate nuisance in one. and its only a block to get to a decent road for bikes.
aroes

Post by aroes »

maybe it's time for big campaigns to begin which push for cyclists to use these routes....after all, we are now officially a bike city

i'm sure most cyclists would happily use them, and that currently, many are simply not aware of their existsence
lilstormer

Post by lilstormer »

The bike path on the side of the upfield line is pretty awesome. Esp if you run with the train and get all the level crossings. So much better than Sydney Road.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

Nicholson street for cyclists is stupid! The other day a car moved across a little into the next lane to give more room for the cyclist and almost crashed into the car it wasn't watching that was in the next lane, that car then moved over beeping its horn which, who then wasn't watching the tram stop rail to its other side. Thankfully everyone came out okay, cos they all jerked back over to prevent smashing into car and tram stop rail, and the cyclist sped up to get out of the way of the whole thing.

A nice gesture turning bad, and could have caused a massive crash. fricken stupid
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

Lizkins wrote:The other day a car moved across a little into the next lane to give more room for the cyclist and almost crashed into the car it wasn't watching that was in the next lane, that car then moved over beeping its horn which, who then wasn't watching the tram stop rail to its other side.
lol i had to read that 5 times