Volunteering

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
witty_pseudonym

Volunteering

Post by witty_pseudonym »

So I think we're a pretty generous kind of community, both with our time and money, and I'm curious as to who of you (if anyone) volunteers?

If so, who with?
What organisations do you think are worth while?
What causes do you think are lacking in participation?

I'm looking into it for myself as well as for a work initiative, so any recommendations of causes/orgs you feel are doing some really positive work in the community I'd love to hear about it.

:angel13:
DBoy

Re: Volunteering

Post by DBoy »

We have a range of opporunties to volunteer here Witty. Everything from homework clubs on the housing estates, to sports programs, mentoring, to outings and day trips with families who would otherwise not have the chance, to soup kitchen work, to full on involved volunteering with reflection days to get the most out of the experience, to administration and professional roles that use your skills if you have them...

The thing with most volunteering positions is it is a committment, not just something you can turn up to when you feel like it, but something that is only really effective when the volunteers are consistent and committed to a regular contribution, in my opinion.
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

i used to teach english to sudaneese refugees...

place called SAIL (sudaneese australian intergrated learning i think)
did it in sunshine.. had to stop tho cuz getting to sunshine on sat morning was a biach.
lolz.
aroes

Post by aroes »

i used to do soup kitchen
i had to stop coz this scary lady kept grabbing my nuts

sorry but it's true!!!1!
witty_pseudonym

Will have a look at the JSS website D. That was one place that sprung to mind. [edit} will look into SAIL too....thanks Petey....sunshine might be a bit of a bitch though. Which soup kitchen was it aroes?

I agree on the commitment thing. Personally, I'm looking at something for a few hours a week, but the company can't (or should I say won't) give that sort of time. It would probably equate to a day every 6 months I think....but they haven't worked out the particulars as yet. Although across 200 staff, it does become a little more meaningful I suppose. It's a bit frustrating, but hey...the corporate world isn't exactly known for their generosity.

Have much investigating to do because there are obviously hundreds of organisations out there that need assistance.
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

I donate time to MMAD (Musicians Making a Difference) which has tied in with The Wayside Chapel for djing lessons (haven't done this year though)

Agree with you D - has to be on a consistent sommited level to make it worthwhile

nice work Tash.
spiral

Post by spiral »

witty_pseudonym

^ yeah have been checking that one out. has some great stuff. :)

cheers! :D
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~sail/

they do in footscray aswell..

but that hard to get into.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

i am about to begin volunteering with http://www.sense.org
part time, with a contract to do a charity ball for them at halloween this year.
they do really different things with carbon offsets in Dafour.

I have also wanted to volunteer at the lort smith animal hospital, but have been worried that i may take home little critters
destined for no good....
witty_pseudonym

wicked. thanks so much guys.
keep em coming. :D
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

Tash we have a day off for volunteering, its not much, but its something. We get sent regularly volunteering we can do like planting trees, helping Smith Family with whatever they need, etc etc.

One thing that my last law firm did was a mentoring program which the firm fully backed, so time during work hours was allowed. The kids even came into the office to see the work we did etc. I am sure it was dead boring for them but at least they were getting out and seeing how the world works.
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

A friend works for these guys too, they do a lot of stuff around affordable housing and generally any hot topics etcetc
they have a huge volunteer base and are always up for more!!

http://www.earthsharing.org.au/
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

Lizkins wrote:Tash we have a day off for volunteering, its not much, but its something. We get sent regularly volunteering we can do like planting trees, helping Smith Family with whatever they need, etc etc.

One thing that my last law firm did was a mentoring program which the firm fully backed, so time during work hours was allowed. The kids even came into the office to see the work we did etc. I am sure it was dead boring for them but at least they were getting out and seeing how the world works.
That last bit is actually really big Liz. ONe kid I spoke to after he had been in an office for a hlaf day said "in my head I imagined that the people who work in those buildings were somehow better than me, but after meeting those guys today I realise they are just normal peolpe too"

perception is everything.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

DBoy wrote:
Lizkins wrote:Tash we have a day off for volunteering, its not much, but its something. We get sent regularly volunteering we can do like planting trees, helping Smith Family with whatever they need, etc etc.

That last bit is actually really big Liz. ONe kid I spoke to after he had been in an office for a hlaf day said "in my head I imagined that the people who work in those buildings were somehow better than me, but after meeting those guys today I realise they are just normal peolpe too"

yeah true, i just did some similar work with Whitelion (a group helping to stop kids going to juvey) and we took footballers and soccer players out to see the kids and they loved it, of course! But yeah, seeing ya average joe doing their job would be helpful too.
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

DBoy wrote:

HE IS WRONG! HE IS NOTHING

:teef:
Friday

Post by Friday »

http://www.wildlifevictoria.org.au

also give blood! hardly takes any time but is a great way to contribute something back. you can register with red cross so they book you in every 90 days...
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Wait a minute, are you guys saying that there are people out there that work for nothing? No money!?! WTF!!!!
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

Hardy wrote:Wait a minute, are you guys saying that there are people out there that work for nothing? No money!?! WTF!!!!
:smt005
J Gal

Post by J Gal »

I've just started volunteering for Hiphop Kollective in Bendigo. Basically we help underprivileged kids thru Hiphop, breakdancing and streetart. I'm in charge of the art side of things. Got my first gig on sat :) very excited. Its for kids between 12-25yrs. There's sweet fark all to do up here for peeps in that age group, so we're hoping to educated them thru music and everything hiphop related. We're hoping itll inspire kids to do a bit more with their lives rather than turning to drugs thru boredom. For a big town, there's nothing for youth.
These are the days of our lolz
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

fuckin YAY j.
nice one, you rock lady.
massive need for that kind of program, especially in more rural type areas, where there is less to do in general.
ive done a few stencil type workshops, hit me up if you need any advice etc ;)
ulyssian

Post by ulyssian »

www.infoxchange.net.au has some info on organisations with volunteer positions. Our housing group needs voluntary committee of management staff with skills. . . . Our committee average age au moment is 58. Not good for the future ,=(
aroes

Post by aroes »

bit of a broad question i know
i'm a noob

anybody know if any notable aid organisations take on unskilled people for projects abroad? have had a quick look around and it seems as if they are only interested in people with qualifications (medical and so forth)

i'm keen to dive into something head first, preferably os. i do not have a tertiary education and do not have any vocational qualifications worth mentioning

anybody shed any light?
Sustain

Post by Sustain »

^^in a word, no.

if you don't have skills to offer then what is the point.. what do you hope to achieve?
truth is the last thing development programs need are more benevolent westerners without knowledge, cultural sensitivities or proper time commitments.
to 'hit the ground running' requires skills, experience and comprehensive knowledge of the complexities of the given context.
otherwise you would be taking up resources rather than contributing them

but if you're after a unique travel experience that contributes to the communities you are visiting there would be plenty of options for you.
check out intrepid travel to start with. if you are interested in development issues check out some NGOs to see if they do study tours. i did one with oxfam in india years ago but i don't think they run anymore. check out other orgs tho

avoid 'volunteer tourism'. most of them are scams and the legit ones are often of little, if any, benefit to local communities
aroes

Post by aroes »

yep oxfam don't run anything like that anymore

thanks for your input, couldn't have answered my question any better really