Deep Sea Diving.....

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
Feigan

Deep Sea Diving.....

Post by Feigan »

I like to scuba dive.

Kitty has just started

CIA has seen amazing rays.

I have seen glowing blue fish

JBS I believe has dived somewhere.

Share stories starting from................

NOW
Hardy

Re: Deep Sea Diving.....

Post by Hardy »

Could you please keep this to the Diving thread thanks.
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

Sure.

where is this diving thread you speak of?
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

SO, i want to know, if you are at the bottom (around 12 meters say) with no air in ya BCD, is the only explanation for floating to the surface despite all your kickin, that you are not wearing enough weight?
my 'instructor' didnt answer this question, and so now im wondering if i am in fact, four kilos or five....

also, i hate flippers.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Unless you have a lungfull of air, yeah.
Don't hate me for house
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

My thoughts are on your wetsuit or any other buoyant material that you're wearing or using GK.

Hood, wetsuit, booties are all buoyant items.

Was it hard to get down to 12 meters & how much weight where you wearing?
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

i was wearing a short sleeved/legged suit, and it was fine every other time in the water.
with booties and flippers, but no hood, same as previous dives.

It wasnt hard at all to get down, and i was only wearing four kilos i think.
I had a bit of trouble a couple times, instructor stuffing more weights in my pockets while at the bottom etc,
but i still dont get why you sink to bottom easily at first, then after a few minutes swimmin fine, begin to float.

logic?

I dont believe you have more bouyancy at dusk when the sun goes down dammit, to give you a better view of the sunset. :lol:
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Because your tank isn't as full of air yah?

So it's lighter.
Don't hate me for house
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

that sounds logical. but one doesnt add weight when on the bottom to counteract extra bouyancy, so...

still not logical?
deviant

Post by deviant »

Quick got the bends in Thailand :P
kronz
Location: so a family walks into a talent agent and the talent agent says "what's your act"?

Post by kronz »

I like other types of diving
GO CATS! GO CATS!
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Pearl diving right kronz?

;)
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

ghetto kitty wrote:that sounds logical. but one doesnt add weight when on the bottom to counteract extra bouyancy, so...

still not logical?

You let air out of your BCD to counteract the extra buoyancy.
Don't hate me for house
quick

Post by quick »

deviant wrote:Quick got the bends in Thailand :P
no i didn't... but I did loose my weight belt without knowing at 12 meters... was freaking me the fuk out... started floating hard to the surface, needed to just swim like fuk straight down till i found the instructor.

He then searched around for my weight belt, all the while i'm freaking cos i had no idea what was happening... it was on one of those discover scuba in a day in koh tao thailand.

got back on boat and got so sea sick, worst ever... no more scuba gheyness for me.
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
kronz
Location: so a family walks into a talent agent and the talent agent says "what's your act"?

Post by kronz »

muff :-)
GO CATS! GO CATS!
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

jbs wrote:
ghetto kitty wrote:that sounds logical. but one doesnt add weight when on the bottom to counteract extra bouyancy, so...

still not logical?

You let air out of your BCD to counteract the extra buoyancy.
this does not compute. i had NO air in BCD, none.
and was only on the bottom for maybe 3 or 4 minutes.....i still dont geddit.

quick - scary! i actually found the hardest thing to do during padi was to take off and put back on my weight belt underwater...
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

What I am saying is if you had air in your BCD you would have been able to let some out.
Don't hate me for house
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

yes, i get that.
almax

Post by almax »

kronz wrote:I like other types of diving

:?:
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

If you where sucking air GK, your tank would have empties providing a new buoyant vessel into the mix.

as it was early stages for you and you may have been using a lot of energy and thus breathing heavily, you could have sapped your air supply.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

okay yes, that makes sense.
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

slow movements, minimal exertion & controlled breathing are essential.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

yeah, i know, i was pretty good before that, but as soon as i started to float, i flapped my liddle arms and legs like crazy to get back down, and therin, was the problem. I think.

Im gonna join the RMIT diving club now, and an old boss said I can borrow any gear I want, anytime!

Feigs, one time when we are in the same state we should go deep somewhere!
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

Done and dusted Kitty.

My old dive shop is Bayswater - Adventure Down Under (fair way from your neck of the woods though)

Great dive centre, regular dives in the bay and good regular dive trips.

I'm only going to dive in Melbourne in summer.

Spanner water is not my friend.
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

quick wrote:
deviant wrote:Quick got the bends in Thailand :P
no i didn't... but I did loose my weight belt without knowing at 12 meters... was freaking me the fuk out... started floating hard to the surface, needed to just swim like fuk straight down till i found the instructor.

He then searched around for my weight belt, all the while i'm freaking cos i had no idea what was happening... it was on one of those discover scuba in a day in koh tao thailand.

got back on boat and got so sea sick, worst ever... no more scuba gheyness for me.
Definitely the bends.
quick

Post by quick »

lol
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
kronz

Post by kronz »

GO CATS! GO CATS!
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

^^ hahahahahaha

Go Diane!
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Feigan wrote: I'm only going to dive in Melbourne in summer.
fucknig word, i have no desire to dive in minus temps, unless its under the ice in the antarctic!
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

^ That my friend would be a phenomonal experience.

Mind blowing.

swimming with Whale sharks is also on my list.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

I know, i want to visit the icebergs before they cover St Kilda

;)
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

^ you better hurry, you have about a quarter of an hour.
RK

Post by RK »

Just landed in Bangkok, off to Tao to do divemaster and chill for 3 months - whale sharks spotted 4 times at Chumphon Pinnacle in the last 2 weeks, heres hoping!! Last time we were there saw loads of sharks/rays/sea snakes, excited to get back!!!
On the mish.....
kronz

Post by kronz »

^puck you
GO CATS! GO CATS!
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

so im going to book tickets to Lombok and Bali today.

First on the itinerary is to go scuba diving on the Gilli islands...

http://www.gili-paradise.com/gilis-dive-site.php

gilli Trawangan seems the best island for doing so...i am thinking a refresher course for padi, and 5 dives with one free one.
refresher course is $60 USD, each dive is $38 US. Seems expensive but ive only been in borneo so....perhaps it's not?

accomodation is in high season so expensive, but this place is part of the scuba school....and looks vewy naice. In fact, not sure if iver ever stayed somewhere as nice as this on my jaunts but if im doing a lot of diving a bit of luxury will be good.

(last time we were on a sea chalet, storms, holes in the floor with water lapping up, worst beds ever and plastic sheets)

http://www.gili-hotels.com/mid_range_ho ... ve/photos/

so its looking like $250 USD for six dives and refresher course and $300 for 4 nights accom.
pretty cheap really.

anyone done diving off Bali? should i be going to the islands? any help appreciated before i book this shit.
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

MASSSSSSIVE fan of skin diving.spear fishing..

been doing it since i was a little tacker!!!

not onto tanks yet... might go for them later in year!

LOVE IT !!

Went a month or so ago and almost FROZE to death !!
Charlie73
Location: Somewhere between South @ North.... Melbourne that is

Post by Charlie73 »

this thread makes me sad... i can never dive again, since doing a number on my ear drum in early 2000's...
Am tempted to give it another go, but having already lost half the hearing in my left ear, not sure i want to tempt fate on the rest of the hearing in it....

I miss it sooooooo much.....

although not the fweeezing feet i used to get... feels the cold alot...
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

aw that sucks ruthie!

i get cold too, especially in the metal ankle region.

thats why i scuba in tropical waters!

stil waiting to hear back from dive place....freaking out a bit as i have already booked flights now...
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

so, I did some diving on Gili Trawangan off Lombok. there is 18 dive sites 5-10 minutes boatride from the island and all of them are really different. my favorite was a massive coral pinnacle you go round and round, turtles aplenty and LOADS of tropical fish.

ive decided that while it may not be a sport perse, diving is my new favorite thing!

the people who i did my PADI with in Borneo were pretty dodgy it turns out, but at the end of a refresher course and six dives I felt 100% confident, even in really strong currents etc.

All my trips overseas are now going to include diving where possible, and i want to go for my advanced with a photography angle next time.
not sure about nitrox diving though, the idea scares me a bit!
anyhow, for 5 days of diving, all equipment, great dive masters, and pretty luxurious bungalow it cost me $500 total, so i say fuck diving in australia and go to other places!
almax

Post by almax »

Charlie73 wrote:this thread makes me sad... i can never dive again, since doing a number on my ear drum in early 2000's...
Oh no, so did you burst your eardrum?
I dont have my licence and have never been, but id love to get it one day, but i had a burst eardrum in 2008 does that mean i wont be able to do it now?
almax

Post by almax »

ah so i googled and answered my own question, but for those interested here tis:
The key question is this: has the hole healed completely? Scuba diving can be very hazardous if you still have a hole in your ear drum. As you well know, as you descend in the water the ambient water pressure increases dramatically.

Water under pressure can "jet" through an eardrum perforation, causing serious injury to the middle ear and inner ear. This could result in permanent deafness and severe dizziness.

What you need is an examination and/or a test. An ear, nose and throat doctor should examine your eardrum under a binocular microscope. This could reveal a small residual perforation, one that could easily have been missed by your doctor’s hand-held otoscope.

A simple test called a tympanogram could also help reveal a small perforation. Given a choice, I would rely upon the microscopic examination, but it would not be unreasonably excessive to have both the microscopic examination and a tympanogram.

Let the ear, nose and throat doctor know that you want to be "cleared to go back to scuba diving." In other words, you need reassurance that the hole has healed, and that you have no other problems that would necessitate keeping the ear dry (e.g., chronic ear canal infection would be one problem that would also prevent diving).

Update 2003: I've been advised recently (by a diver) that ear plugs CANNOT be used during diving. The ear canals must remain open during the dive. I suspect that an ear plug might 'lock air' between it and the ear drum, and pressure changes during the dive can cause an eardrum perforation or worse barotrauma . . . in other words, permanent hearing loss may occur.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

ears are the scary part for me too. first time i lost my hearing entirely in one ear the day after, and when i got back to oz had a massive chunk of wax in there.
i had a problem with one of mine and nearly didnt dive on the last day, but it ended up being okay.
equalize, equalize, all the way down!
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

Very good to hear that you had some great experiences Bo.

I'm off to Bali in a couple of weeks - has anyone dived in or around Bali? not sure what to expect.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Where are you going?

There is a japanese shipwreck off the north east coast that I wanted to do but didnt have time.
it runs 100 metres long parallel to the shore with shallow end 3 metres and deep end around 40 metres or deeper.
You would dive that from Amed, I am going back to do it next year!

you can also catch a fastboat from Amed to the gillis and do all the sites there, highly recommend doing that if you want good cheap diving at amazing sites!

i can give you more specifics if that sounds good to you...
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

I love specifics!
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

so you might go to the gilis then?

check out Manta dive.
http://www.manta-dive.com/

i stayed there too, but you can just dive there if you want. you buy 5 dives and get the sixth free, all gear and instructors great, this is the best place on the island. bungalows are lush too. (i has photos if you want) 4 nights of bungalow, and six dives plus refresher course cost me $500 approx. the food on the island is amazing, so is the snorkelling apparently (but i just dived the whole time)
and its only an hour from Amed by fast boat, so you can do the japanese wreck (which i want reports of if you do it!) and then go across to gili trawangan.

apparently better diving than off the mainland of Bali proper.

if you go to Amed Ill hook you up with Dilly, who was my guide, village boy extraordinare who can arrange both the diving and the fast boat for you on mainland Bali. And hes mega hot. Not that you would care haha.
CoB

Post by CoB »

i keep reading this as deep sea driving.
I want to try driving from a beach and see how far i can drive
o/ . . . \o . . . -o . o- . \o/ \o/
RK

Post by RK »

Feigan wrote:Very good to hear that you had some great experiences Bo.

I'm off to Bali in a couple of weeks - has anyone dived in or around Bali? not sure what to expect.
Done a bit of diving there, Amed, Gilis and Lembongan... Gilis is a nicer place to stay and some nice sites, although years of dynamite fishing has definitely done some serious damge to the hard corals. WE dived with Manta as well I think, quite good outfit. Gilis is lush as, but I preferred Lembongans islands for diving - they sit in the Indo throughflow so can get some pretty ripping currents, but most operators time dives for slack tide - having said that, the drift dive we did at Toyapakeh bay along a massive wall was absolutely sick! Pretty varied what you see at different sites too, big pelagics, like giant trevally, turtles, mantas, eagle rays, sharks, and cool smaller stuff - peacock mantis shrimp (my favourite, so alien), ghost pipefish, some awesome corals, ocean sunfish (if you're lucky, I think August - November is season?). One downside is the location of the Lembongan islands means that the water is pretty frosty. Some savage thermoclines about 18-22C - brrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Dived with World Diving, who were really good, and stayed in their attached accomoodation.
http://www.world-diving.com/
Oh yeah, Lembongan also has AMAZING surf, if you're that way inclined :)
On the mish.....
kiss & tell

Post by kiss & tell »

there is nothing more terrifying then the deep seas