Home Internet

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
nic

Re: Home Internet

Post by nic »

2 pages
1st post on 2nd page
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

2nd post on 2nd page
nic

Post by nic »

lets ahve a counting contest

nic

Post by nic »

(this is your job interview for new BOSS ROLE btw)
nic

Post by nic »

if you suceed you get to change your name by deed poll to

BLAXTER BOSS ROLE
nic

Post by nic »

uh oh i can see the future and its me not doing any work and intolerably spamming teh threads
nic

Post by nic »

will stop and 10k bro

:brohugs:
nic

Post by nic »

lucky eight

You cannot make another post so soon after your last.
:x
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

number 9
Sociopathic

Post by Sociopathic »

Sorry to break up the spam ( 10 double digits now :P)
ARGH SO FREAKING CONFUSED!!!

it's been near 2 years since I had proper internets and I've looked at the main ones that seem to get thrown around tpg internode iinet.

Just getting more and more confused. browsed breifly on whirlpool. One thing I'm wanting to know is upload data and if its counted?
On whirlpool its got a "free" next to upstream but is that different to uploads? I've been hit before with a $1200 3mobile broadband bill from uploading 300odd photos at full size before not realising uploads counted :(

I'm also unsure about my usage because of my lack of real internets for so long I've been real strick with what I do on the net, however getting actual ADSL/ADSL2+ I want to make sure I actually accomdate myself.
I've only just discovered bit torrents but still not a fan of DL movies, more just music the odd game/program here and there.

setting myself a budget of $80 p/m for the net just gonna get telstra homeline budget with is only $20 per month (ok 20.95 but fuck what can you really buy with 95cents these days?)

I dunno if ADSL2+ is gonna be worth paying for because of
You are 2259 m from HDBG as the crow flies.
Estimated cable length of 3049.65 m.
Estimated speed of 6666
Heat maps real sporadic with 1,501kb - 5,000kb and >= 1,500kb kinda near where my new house is gonna be. more of the >=1,500 though.

like TPG have $39.99p/m for 20 on 20 off on ADSL2+ but then $49.95 10 on 15 off at 1500/256
Then internode is $49.95 for 20gb@1500/256 and $49.95 for 30gb@24576/1024

I think I'm just gonna go cry in a corner and be useless and get telstra :( ok thats a lie, but I dunno what to do now...seriously why would I pay 10 bucks more for 5 less data on peak time? or same price for 10gb less and slower speed?

RAH RAH RAH RAH RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
The fridge is angry, the cheese told me so.

Watch out for the penguins, they are comming
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

hm. so for upstream (which is the same as uploads), it depends on the provider. internode don't count upstream i think, and i'm pretty sure iinet do.

as for speed, divide by about 9 from the max theoretical speed (6666kbit/sec) to get the maximum speed you can expect for downloads -- 740kB/sec. for international sites it'd probably be closer to 580-600kB/sec tho. it also depends on your wiring: you want to have the phone line between the jack and your dsl modem as short as humanly possible. still, in some cases, there's not a lot you can do; the wiring in my apartment is shit, so i've lost about 10% there.

it's not worth paying for anything vastly beyond your max theoretical speed, and they usually tend to come in 1, 1.5, 2, 4, 8, 10-12 and 24mbps. if you can only get 6666, then spring for something with 8mbps (8192kbps) down, which will probably be given as 8/1 or 8192/1024.

every isp also tends to have free areas where you can download a lot of stuff without having it counted against your quota (internode's is mirror.internode.on.net), and this often includes stuff like abc iview.

so there's no right answer, especially given that your isp of choice might not have any ports available (adsl2exchanges.com.au can tell you), but i can definitely recommend against telstra ... it's definitely not the fastest, their plans are often pretty rubbish, their service is a disgrace, and they'll just try to fuck you at every turn.

internode and iinet definitely have very good plans (and i've heard tpg do too), and the bang-for-buck sweetspot seems to be around the 40GB/month mark. most providers let you change to a plan with a higher quota with no penalty if you find out that you need it - if they don't, run away.

hopefully that actually answers your questions rather than just adds to the confusion ... g'luck. :)
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
deviant

Post by deviant »

I just signed up for netspace naked adsl

69.95 p/mnth for 75GB (30 peak, 45 off) no uploads counted.. Seems preettty sweet, but hasn't been switched on yet
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

First month of Naked Optus. $60 for 90Gig. (30 peak i think)
All good so far - expect made my first help call regarding billing and the guy told me it was a shame i had signed up because all the deals are going to drop from May 1.
Look out for $45 for $120Gig deals he reckons.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

fooishbar wrote:hm. so for upstream (which is the same as uploads), it depends on the provider. internode don't count upstream i think, and i'm pretty sure iinet do.
correct
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
Sociopathic

Post by Sociopathic »

fooishbar wrote:hopefully that actually answers your questions rather than just adds to the confusion ... g'luck. :)
I think I want to marry you :3some:

Definately does definately definately does!!!

Sociopathic

Post by Sociopathic »

So I went TPG why you ask BECAUSE THEY WERE THE ONLY HELPFUL MOTHER FUCKERS ON THE PHONE WHO I ENCOUNTERED AFTER ATTEMPTING TO PRICE SHOP FOR ELECTRICITY AND GAS!!! I'M GOING TO FUCKING EXPLODE!!
Moving to the gripe thread now.

Sociopathic

Post by Sociopathic »

Ok so scrap the above message, I've now been arguing with them via email and over the phone since friday.
Tried to actually activate it, got screwed over told her no.
She placed the order anyway. charged my credit card.
So far I've made 4 phone calls had one phone call returned by a supervisor and awaiting on another reutrned phone call from a supervisor.
My money still hasn't been returned even though it was stolen on friday, and I've already made 2 phone calls tonight 45min worth of phone calls and 32min of which was spent on hold, probably anothe r3min fucking around with IVR's getting to the accounts department only to be told oh the refund request was only put in today
LIKE FUCK MOTHER FUCKING CUNTS!! I've kept exact time tabs on my calls this time around and have already requested copies of the call recordings...

So pissed off.
And now I dunno who to bother getting my internet through. Everyone I've spoken to says internode

huge
old boy

Post by huge »

never good to get pissed off at support. they'll be dicking you on purpose :P

(im with internode, have been for 4 years, have used iinet and also tpg and had no issues with anyone!)
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

same o wrote:Image
LOLZ!!

iinet, even though their advertising is totally homo.
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
deviant

Post by deviant »

what the hell is going on with TPG... they are now offering $49 for 180GB

:shock:

It's like they up the quota by 30GB every few weeks.
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

That's upload and download tho...
deviant

Post by deviant »

still though
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

true tho.

It's lots. I just "upgraded" to 140mb (download only) per month
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

deviant wrote:what the hell is going on with TPG... they are now offering $49 for 180GB

:shock:

It's like they up the quota by 30GB every few weeks.
Yeah ive noticed this too. Optus have upped their's as well.... about to change that for dam sure. Looks like a hella good deal 8) Better than the 70 we have that isnt 70 at all once we use the 20 peak limit.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

It's rad.

More is better cause it's more than before!

I just went from 80GB to 140GB
Don't hate me for house
deviant

Post by deviant »

I'm on 75GB and I just hit quota in my first month with 4 days to go :grumble:

Living with half the amount of people too, on only 5GB less than my last house. #annoying #james #hashtagsareforfags #meh
konk

Post by konk »

Go Internode or Iinet.. Ive been on iinet for 4years support, service and connection speed ive had has been flawless. No issues whatsoever. Your also supporting australian companies if you go with either one. Plus both ISP's are interested and dedicted to bringing australia upto speed with the rest of the world regarding communications.
mecka

Post by mecka »

First week and a half of TPG naked ADSL. Good. Fuckin great actually no hassles whatsoever. Good speeds for my area. Already hit 80% of 60gb off peak though which isn't great.
Kaiproject

Post by Kaiproject »

just signed up to tpg again after being stuck with fucking telstra cable bullshit at my old place.

3-5 working days til connected, great service & no hassles thus far, hopefully i get decent speeds.

was gonna go with the tpg line rental or naked too but can't be sure i can do the 18mth contract.
if i was to move again in 6months they make u pay out the remainder, even if u can't get adsl at next address. ie. $300

can't wait for 130gb and 1mb shaping if over, after 12mths of 25gb for $70 and upload counted as download...wtf
Charlie73
Location: Somewhere between South @ North.... Melbourne that is

Post by Charlie73 »

konk wrote:Go Internode or Iinet.. Ive been on iinet for 4years support, service and connection speed ive had has been flawless. No issues whatsoever. Your also supporting australian companies if you go with either one. Plus both ISP's are interested and dedicted to bringing australia upto speed with the rest of the world regarding communications.
agree 100%

we with iinet and love them! They actually have real customer service....
youthful_implants

I have a belkin wireless adaptor and a naked adsl 2 iinet broadband installation.

can anyone explain why my connection via the adaptor keeps dropping out? its so annoying I think it must be the way its configured, its killing me.
Strontium Music

fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

coulprobably either crap router or crap wiring. note that you never want your dsl cable to be more than 1m long really ...
youthful_implants

yeah there's no wiring to speak of really. the adaptor is a USB thing and the modem is the BoB unit. TBF my desktop is upstairs and the modem is on the ground floor and the laptop downstairs is fine so maybe its the distance?

Having said that, when its connected its always got a strong signal I think its more likely a conflict between the desktop and the lappie downstairs or the way the adaptor is configured. When it drops out it shows a network which is the adaptor as opposed to the network we use. Confusing.
Strontium Music

fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

oh right, the wireless. if you can configure the wifi settings on the router, try changing the channel to something like 11, but avoiding 6 and 1 in particular, which are mad congested. also if you have any shit wireless phones or mice/keyboards or whatever that just spam random shit all over 2.4GHz, throw them in a skip.
deviant

Post by deviant »

belkin are also remarkably shithouse... I switched from one to a D-Link N.... sooo much better, faster and no drop outs.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

word. i'm really happy with my linksys wrt610n, works great, unlike our previous netgear which used to have bare dropouts.
deviant

Post by deviant »

netgear are fucking shit too... also, the sofware that comes with their PCI cards is mega- :tard:
youthful_implants

fooishbar wrote:oh right, the wireless. if you can configure the wifi settings on the router, try changing the channel to something like 11, but avoiding 6 and 1 in particular, which are mad congested. also if you have any shit wireless phones or mice/keyboards or whatever that just spam random shit all over 2.4GHz, throw them in a skip.
thanks man I'll give it a go. :)
Strontium Music

FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

if im looking at getting a wireless router i see thing think about different types of wifi (g and n?)

ive got an old g4 macbook and a ipod touch - will these work with either system? is this relevant?

basically, ive got a cable modem, will add voip and want access for 1 machine (wired) and the laptop (wireless) + ipod - any tips for gear? was looking at a netgear router for $70 in the city

cheers
deviant

Post by deviant »

your older devices wont work on N, but most N equipment is backwards compatible, meaning that you can set it up to broadcast B, G or N or any combination of the three... that way you are more future proof if you get a new lappy etc and want to take advangate of the higher speed of N.
youthful_implants

deviant wrote:your older devices wont work on N, but most N equipment is backwards compatible, meaning that you can set it up to broadcast B, G or N or any combination of the three... that way you are more future proof if you get a new lappy etc and want to take advangate of the higher speed of N.
the higher speed of N lol

to tha henth
Strontium Music

Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

for those on TPG, just cancelled mine cos of moving house and will prob just get a wireless thingy. They did a 30 day cancellation notice. i probably got told that at the start but forgot, so just remember if you move to let them know asap or you are paying for da nets when not using it
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

i can't believe what a complete head fuck it is trying to get internet here. :tard:
driving.me.insane.
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

could just go around to the tpg service center couldnt ya? :teef:
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

:smt005
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
witty_pseudonym

huhuhuge.

a lot of plans go on a xx rupees per kb. roughly how many mb do you think i'd need per month for general browsing/research, skype and maybe downloading the occasional set?
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

how much is it?

at leeaast 5gig a month. id go more tho huhu.
witty_pseudonym

they vary, but around Rs5 per kb but would work out way too pricey that way.
think i'll just bite the bullet and get a prepaid Rs500 for 10gb. it's only $12, but feels like a lot of money here. lol.
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

was going to say 10gig