Home Internet

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
DBoy

Home Internet

Post by DBoy »

Is there a thread on this?

Always lived in share houses where there has been internet sorted by someone else. Now need to sort it for myself.

Seems to vary dramatically - Optus $49.95 with fees waived for 2GB per month
then is saw an ad for TPG for $60 for 80GB

What am I looking for? Want to be able to never worry about limit within reason.

Dont want a USB wireless use anywhere thing, just need for at home.
FoundationStepper

Re: Home Internet

Post by FoundationStepper »

there have been threads, I believe iinet have always come out well
Last edited by FoundationStepper on Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spiral

Post by spiral »

internode or iinet
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

TPG provide good internets at the expense of good customer service.
kronz
Location: so a family walks into a talent agent and the talent agent says "what's your act"?

Post by kronz »

They have internet on computers now DBoy, i recommend trying it out.

TPG, FTW IMO!
GO CATS! GO CATS!
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

IInet FTW..

After months of fucking around, they are the bomb.

Free local and national calls on voip. Win.
enak

Post by enak »

ghetto kitty wrote:IInet FTW..

After months of fucking around, they are the bomb.

Free local and national calls on voip. Win.
This.

40GB peak, 60GB off peak, local and national calls - Naked Home 5 plan -$89 = iinet win.
"I've never been a fan of virtuoso/performance displays of skill, to be honest; wanky guitar-solos get on my tits. I want music that moves me, not that impresses me."
deviant

Post by deviant »

iinet fucked me over for six months after I left them for TPG... TPG are cheaper for more DL which is why I switched... but iinet kept debiting my account anyways... took me fecking AGES to get my money back and for the matter to be resolved... ended in obudsman action.. FAIL imo
Amick

Post by Amick »

iinet is fastest and good support.

internet is pretty expensive but always get more than you'll usually use.

never know when drunk pr0n streaming gets out of control...so I heard...
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

:lol:

We pay $80 per month for pretty much unlimited (housies d/l heaps (prolly pr0n) and im a whore online as we all know)

gets you around dealing with telstra and optus forever.

dan that sounds pretty sucky, but they have been pretty good to me, and usually me and phonoe companies, well its been a hate/hate realtionship as Im always the one getting it on in my name etc
Fents

Post by Fents »

do iinet/tpg have their own lines now? cause when my iinet went down they said it would be 6 weeks till they could get a telstra tech out to my exchange. fucked em off and went with optus who had it fixed in two days.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

anyone else with Optus / had experience with them / know the value.

Seems like as existing Optus they offer so good deals... ? ? ?
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Optus net are fucked. Horrible truly.

Id say go with anyone but them tbh.

fents- some locations they dont have lines, you can check on the website i think
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

Also D, if you go with Optus the lock you into a contract and generally the cheaper deals with TPG/iinet etc require a telstra line. Got stung by that one and it was a nightmare.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

cheers. Investigate this weekend.
quick

Post by quick »

optus is good for like 5% of population.. TPG is win cos best gig for your buck... cust service is a factor, but i'd still rather more dl for less $
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

quick wrote:optus is good for like 5% of population.. TPG is win cos best gig for your buck... cust service is a factor, but i'd still rather more dl for less $
:scr1pt:

Optus now count uploads as usage though.
Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

iinet naked dsl counts uploads as well. Not ideal for anyone wanting to seed torrents.

Me, I don't care. I quit trying to keep up with TV series ages ago.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Been using Optus and found their customer service to be above excellent. Always helpful over the phone, even with things that didn't involve them (they helped me sort out a computer glitch).

Everyone has different experiences though.
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
almax

Post by almax »

I had massive problems with Optus a few years ago, they kept changing our password for no apparent reason, then we would have to call them, wait on the phone for up to an hour to get the new password. That was the worst thing about optus, phone line ques were terrible.
We are with TPG now and haven't really had a problem i can think of, either $70 or $79 for 150 gig per month. Can get less though of course.
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

Friday

Post by Friday »

haven't used tpg so can't speak about them really...

iinet have been awesome for me though. got the same plan as enak:
40GB peak, 60GB off peak.
local and national calls are free, mobiles 29c per minute, international 5c per minute, no line rental.
$89
= ACES

plus jonas is on the adverts!! ;) :P
almax

Post by almax »

Friday wrote:
plus jonas is on the adverts!! ;) :P

Watch the posted video on YouTube.

he does a great accent :wink:
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

Optus can work out to be the best deal if you have more than one service with them, eg I've got two mobile phones and broadband with them, so they give a discount. If you have a landline/VOIP phone you also get a discount. Make sure you check out your options for VOIP - instead of paying for a landline phone - it'll save you having to pay line rental (our monthly home phone bill with VOIP is usually $2-4 including calls, vs a minimum of $30 going with a Telstra landline), and you can get a regular (03) phone number which you can take with you to your next address.
razyier

Post by razyier »

i'd personally go iinet, guys are reppin' atm. i'm on optus unfortunately and trust me you do not want to deal with this shit. optus are more expensive and offer less with very poor customer service, the recent plans all suck wang too. optus quality has gone down heaps, i hardly even get decent speeds anymore (150kbs when downloading something MAX, this can last for two weeks on and off)

friend had TPG for a while, he was pretty close to the exchange/line or whatever you call it but said it was pretty unreliable/unstable connection wise
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

Im on tpg - has always been fine for me...
mecka

Post by mecka »

same o wrote:Image
zomg its hardy
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

I still don't get how iiNet can claim they are building their own network from he ground up when all they are doing is installing dSLAMS?

I mean ... what?
Don't hate me for house
mecka

Post by mecka »

nonono, you see... the cat - it looks like Hardy,.
kronz
Location: so a family walks into a talent agent and the talent agent says "what's your act"?

Post by kronz »

mecka wrote:nonono, you see... the cat - it looks like Hardy,.
it does!

But i cant believe Hardy has outsourced his pussy to you and is going to do spot checks to make sure you have cut the gunk out of his hairy pussy.
GO CATS! GO CATS!
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

Doing my research at present on VoIP options

We have been with optus for yonks, at first we didn't have any choice as for internet we were too far from the excahgnes for ADSL. Thus we are on home phone, and optus cable internet.

I pay just under $30 per month in line rental for home phone
And $49 per month for cable internet - 12gig peak (12pm-12am), 24 gig off peak. We use between 30-70% of this month to month.

We have vodafone prepay mobiles which I use about $20 a month on, mostly calling each other which is basically nix.

I want to reduce our call costs, but I think want to keep the home phone line, as we want to maintain the stability and also definitely keep our home phone number. Also want to avoid new contracts if we can.

Soo... I'm thinking it looks like iiNet naked whatever would be better overall, but not like massively better, perhaps $80 per month everything, vs currently $30+$50=$80 (plus say $5-10 for VoIP with someone else), which doesn't seem worth it.

I'm thinking that another VoIP provider on a good rate to go with the current setup would be good. If its $5-15 bucks a month, plus say $100 for the hardware, it still seems better than the $40-50 we spend currently on just calls.

I called up freecall http://www.freecall.net.au/main.php
The guy was very helpful, they have been round a while, and calls are either 1c a minute or 10c a call, aust landline or local, 22c/min aust mobile, and 2c/min to NZ. And a $50/per month just access cost.

Who else should I look into for similar sort of setup? and am I looking at this totally the wrong way?

Cheers
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

I'll be internetting up at home shortly... any more recent advice to this eternal debate?

Judging by this thread.

1. iinet
2. TPG
3. everyone else

Couple of points to note...

I currently don't have an active landline
I'm in North Reservoir
VOIP calls don't attract me as I have a company phone

EDIT: just reading iinet's 'naked DSL'. They state "stop paying line rental to the big companies" - I don't. But then they ask me to provide a phone number to check availability...
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

internode are fucking awesome.

and yeah, the iinet naked thing is a bit weird haha, but phone number is the only way to work out which exchange you're on. www.adsl2exchanges.com.au is worth its weight in gold tho!
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
aroes

Post by aroes »

lol dboy, confused yet?

i've been with tpg for a year, never ever had a problem

got a bit shafted, as i'm paying $50per month for 50gig, and i think you can now get 80gig for the same price. i'm still happy

people have complained about the customer service........indian call centres, but seriously, big deal.........i've never had a problem so have never actually needed any tech support (apart from configuring modem, which i only had to do once, and the staff were helpful)

tpg ftw
Sociopathic

Post by Sociopathic »

With Naked DSl you have to have an active phone line before you can actually get naked DSL.
If you don't currently have a home line on it means contacting either optus or telstra (depending on who runs your line) getting the line put on and then switching.
Telstra will sting you if you don't keep the phone line on with them for more than 3months I dunno about optus.

I'm probably gonna have to go through all this crap again shortly when I move. Hoping to get a cable ready house :D couldn't be arsed dealing with phone lines etc etc.

I wanted to go with unwired but they don't get alot of signal around Melbourne for some reason which sucked :(
The fridge is angry, the cheese told me so.

Watch out for the penguins, they are comming
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Sociopathic wrote:With Naked DSl you have to have an active phone line before you can actually get naked DSL.
If you don't currently have a home line on it means contacting either optus or telstra (depending on who runs your line) getting the line put on and then switching.
Telstra will sting you if you don't keep the phone line on with them for more than 3months I dunno about optus.
That's pretty shithouse... their promo is all like "fuck paying money to the big phone companies" - and yet to go down this road I'm going to have to pay money to the big phone companies... just so I can then not pay money to the big phone companies.

Gheys.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

if there was a landline recently connected you're sweet -- i'm on naked dsl and didn't have to set up a phoneline nor wait long at all for provisioning. took three weeks from when i called them to having it switched on.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

fooishbar wrote:if there was a landline recently connected you're sweet -- i'm on naked dsl and didn't have to set up a phoneline nor wait long at all for provisioning. took three weeks from when i called them to having it switched on.
Coolio... I'm guessing the previous tenants (the ownerz) had the landline connected around 3-months ago. I'll give 'em a buzz on Monday.

Cheers.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

:thumbup:
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

i don't believe you need an active landline to effectively 'switch off' to get naked dsl ... i've had it for a year in preston and we didn't have a landline prior.

iinet has been my ISP since 2006 and they've always been good. have never had to call customer service so can't comment on that. but 4 years w/out a call to customer service does speak volumes about the product.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

shepherd wrote:i don't believe you need an active landline to effectively 'switch off' to get naked dsl ... i've had it for a year in preston and we didn't have a landline prior.
there does need to be a landline connected to the property (whether it's active or not) and ideally already connected to an exchange used by telstra wholesale.
shepherd wrote:iinet has been my ISP since 2006 and they've always been good. have never had to call customer service so can't comment on that. but 4 years w/out a call to customer service does speak volumes about the product.
same and they have been pretty good overall. never had to contact support during that period.

however i'm currently thinking of switching over to internode's naked adsl2+ product - over having to pay for a landline i never use, regardless of the extra bandwidth that gets thrown in as a bonus. you shouldn't have to pay for upstream bandwidth.
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

No go with TPG. They need me to connect with Telstra, then be re-connected to TPG.

Awesome. That's a fantastic waste of money.
deviant

Post by deviant »

aroes wrote:got a bit shafted, as i'm paying $50per month for 50gig, and i think you can now get 80gig for the same price. i'm still happy
haha, that happened to me too... I just rang them up and they switched me over to the 80GB plan....

I believe it's actually 100GB for $50 now
Sociopathic

Post by Sociopathic »

Direkt wrote:No go with TPG. They need me to connect with Telstra, then be re-connected to TPG.

yeah that's the problem i had a few months ago when i was trying to get naked dsl every company i contacted said i'd have to get the phone put on in order to turn it off.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Sociopathic wrote:
Direkt wrote:No go with TPG. They need me to connect with Telstra, then be re-connected to TPG.

yeah that's the problem i had a few months ago when i was trying to get naked dsl every company i contacted said i'd have to get the phone put on in order to turn it off.
Indeed.

Did you end up connecting a phone line?
Sociopathic

Post by Sociopathic »

Nah cause I won't be in this house for much longer, so I just went fuck it and grabbed a telstra pre-paid wireless broadband for the time being cause I should be moved in a month and didn't want to get into a contract then have to pay the moving fee again in a couple of months time.

I prob will once I move though if the house isn't cable ready and just go a straight ADSL and leave the home line on cause I'll prob end up using the home line somewhat.

I dunno where you are but I have heard good things about "unwired" if you're in an area they get signal no home line needed at all. only other option is to say connect with telstra and leave the line connected on the "budget" plan which is like $20 a month and just make sure you don't use it in the 3months you have it connected then you can disconnect without paying early disconnection fee. Connection fee's for telstra are $59 if you disconnect it within the first 3month they charge you an extra $100 where as staying on the budget plan for 3months is $60 if you make no calls.
The fridge is angry, the cheese told me so.

Watch out for the penguins, they are comming
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Thanks for the heads up mate.

I wonder if it's just as worthwhile getting cable installed.... there's Optus cable already in the house, but I'd prefer not go with Optus.

I don't suppose other companies can use the Optus ports etc?
Sociopathic

Post by Sociopathic »

Direkt wrote:Thanks for the heads up mate.

I wonder if it's just as worthwhile getting cable installed.... there's Optus cable already in the house, but I'd prefer not go with Optus.

here is where my knowledge of usefull crap ends however check out whirlpool.net.au for that i've never heard of cable from anywhere but telstra or optus or one of their special companies that have fancy names but are still run by them but you never know. Plus full price comparisons including listing whether or not they count upload's and all that fun stuff on there
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

Direkt wrote:Thanks for the heads up mate.

nope they can't, sorry ... it's only for cable (which is crap) anyway, rather than dsl.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Thank you all