Thrips, thunderflies, thunderbugs, storm flies, and corn lic

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
DBoy

Thrips, thunderflies, thunderbugs, storm flies, and corn lic

Post by DBoy »

Thrips, thunderflies, thunderbugs, storm flies, and corn lice

Out of control.

We were down at Geelong on weekend, taking a wander toward the beach early in the afternoon. To begin with I thought I had walked through a cobweb, although for some reason I could not get it off my face. Then I thought ‘well that’s it then, uncy sid has finally caught up with me and I’ve finally lost it’. A strange peace came over me as I relaxed into my new found psychosis, until… I realised my white shirt was covered in little bugs.

I have since learnt that are thrips. By dusk they were thick in the air all over Geelong, noticable in every direction and annoying on every front.

I understand it is not just the city by the bay that’s coping it, but Melbourne and other areas of Australia.

Sign from God of the pending ammagedon?
Result of new weather patterns and we should get used to it?

wikkiwikki wrote: Thrips (Order Thysanoptera) are tiny, slender insects with fringed wings (thus the scientific name, from the Greek thysanos (fringe) + pteron (wing)). Other common names for thrips include thunderflies, thunderbugs, storm flies, and corn lice. Thrips species feed on a large variety of sources both plant and animal by puncturing them and sucking up the contents. A large number of thrips species are considered pests, because they feed on plants with commercial value. Some species of thrips feed on other insects or mites and are considered beneficial, while some feed on fungal spores or pollen. So far around 5,000 species have been described. Thrips are generally tiny (1 mm long or less) and are not good flyers, although they can be carried long distances by the wind. In the right conditions, many species can explode in population and swarm everywhere, making them an irritation to humans.
Management
Due to their small size, cryptophilic behavior, and high rate of reproduction, thrips are difficult to control using classical biological control. All predators must be small and slender enough to penetrate the crevices that thrips hide in while feeding, and then prey extensively on eggs and larvae. Only two families of parasitoid hymenoptera are known to parasitize eggs and larvae, the Eulophidae and the Trichogrammatidae. Other biocontrol agents of adults and larvae include aphid wasps, anthocorid bugs of genus Orius, and Phytoseiid mites. For this reason, many growers are occasionally forced to make limited use of pesticides to control thrips populations in the field and in greenhouses.
ghetto kitty

Re: Thrips, thunderflies, thunderbugs, storm flies, and corn lic

Post by ghetto kitty »

omg dboy, same thing happened to me saturday night!

walking at twilight on high st with poochy, and suddenly both of us covered, eating, batting at them as whirlwind tornado of tiny winged creatures covered us...

i swear i ate a few in my suprised state...full on.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

I saw someone randomly comment on bugs on facebook on the weekend.

I think think three bug related incidents points towards plague to be honest.
Don't hate me for house
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

There is no doubt this is already of plague proportions, biblical!

As for eating them Kitty - I think it would be safe to assume that any individual who encounters them would have consumed anywhere between 20 and 100 maybe more.

Going to get worse.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

also rumoured that they eat your insides.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Was anyone in Sydney for that moth thing a few years ago?

Insane.
Don't hate me for house
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

DBoy wrote:also rumoured that they eat your insides.
Do you think they could heap with weight loss from the inside out?

Business op tbh.
Don't hate me for house
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

wow. okay so if i ate 50-100 and then they are eating my insides, then i did an hour long dogwalk and an hour at the gym, does that means with parastic help ill be a size 8 by tommorow?
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

It does if you give me $50 to get registered on the program.
Don't hate me for house
Amick

Post by Amick »

I was covered with them on the weekend at Inverloch. Annoying mofo's!!! :(
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

what does the 'program' offer that im not already doing jamessss?

inspirational insect motivations for stepping up my intake to 220 bugs?
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

just pay up Kitty and none of this lip please.

Bug army.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

ghetto kitty wrote:what does the 'program' offer that im not already doing jamessss?

inspirational insect motivations for stepping up my intake to 220 bugs?
It offers results.
Don't hate me for house
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

before and after shots ftw
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

Dboy: their development has been synchronised by the recent damp weather followed by warmth, allowing the larval intars to mature and go into a massive mating swarm like the one you walked into. The thrip population boom works on the same principal as the booms that fuel locust plagues... ideal weather for growth and maturity cycling over a period of several months results in an exponential increase in the population.

The Thysanoptera are opportunistic species exploiting intermittently occurring environments. The life history strategy is preadapted from the detriophagous ancestral group, and the need to succeed in a habitat in which optimal conditions are brief. The most advanced species are the flower thrips, primarily species of Frankliniella and Thrips. Most thrips are r-selected with population attributes that were believed to result in thrips outstripping the capacity of natural enemies to regulate populations. Recent research has revealed that species of Orius (Heteroptera: Anthocoridae) and Thripinema (Tylenchida: Allantonematidae) are important natural enemies of flower thrips that suppress populations and cause local extinctions. Elucidation of multitrophic interactions that affect abundance and persistence of populations of prey and natural enemies in field crops is resulting in improved, ecologically based management programs for thrips and tospoviruses. Although many of the highly vagile species of thrips exhibit mass flights and are found in remote regions, there is little quantifiable information of local movements, dispersal rates, and patterns of migration. Better understandings of population turnover, local extinctions, and colonization of thrips vectors of tospoviruses are needed to effectively manage these emerging threats to global agriculture.
In English... we know sweet fuck all about thrips.
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

Like we need another reason to avoid Geelong.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

we appear to have a swarm of baby dragonflies in our front yard at the mo. the little buggars go mental as i walk down my front path out on to the street. There are more and more every day and i now have to cover my mouth and nose when going through the swarm

also, flies in general are on the window at home and at work. i am 22 floors up at work and they even get up here. gross i must say

a few weeks back we had a mini-plague of bees coming into our house and more specifically the bedroom. i was spraying bug spray every day before going to work and then when i came home i would pick up all the dead flies. i counted 14 one day.

more and more bugs everywhere! Its fricken mental!
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
Friday

Post by Friday »

i run down by the yarra every night and the bugs recently have been crazy. i live in fear every evening of eating / breathing them. eugh.
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

Lizkins wrote:we appear to have a swarm of baby dragonflies in our front yard at the mo. the little buggars go mental as i walk down my front path out on to the street. There are more and more every day and i now have to cover my mouth and nose when going through the swarm

also, flies in general are on the window at home and at work. i am 22 floors up at work and they even get up here. gross i must say

a few weeks back we had a mini-plague of bees coming into our house and more specifically the bedroom. i was spraying bug spray every day before going to work and then when i came home i would pick up all the dead flies. i counted 14 one day.

more and more bugs everywhere! Its fricken mental!
Liz, you were probably walking through a swarm of Ephemeroptera...

Either that or Zygoptera... a smaller version of dragonflies.

There is a big difference between the two... Ephemeroptera are 1-2 cm long, brownish and swarm in their thousands when mating (their name means 'but for a day' in latin... they can't eat as adults and die after mating).... Zygoptera are about 3-4 cm long and are brilliantly coloured and can live for months, defending territories and catching smaller insects on the wing like flying things that catch insects lolz.
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

mmmm Ephemeroptera nomnomnonmonm
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Oh wow! So the blue ones are what they base the flavor for Blue Powerade on!

I had always wondered about that.
Don't hate me for house
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

i think it was the little brown ones cos they are gone now, so they must have died or gone elsewhere?

i would have loved them blue ones though, they look sick!

We just got new plants in at work and what happens? Exactly what i told them! New plants brings the bugs! I have bites all over my feet, ankles, neck etc. I bought in fly spray to work today and have dowsed the area. Fuckin annoyed and then some. The bugs are those really really little black ones that hover about and bite ya. stupid bugs
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos