Documentaries

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
Hatsudai

Re: Documentaries

Post by Hatsudai »

ghetto kitty wrote:^^ thats fucking shit. why try to pass it off as a doco when its not?
to generate a buzz I guess
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

apophenian

Post by apophenian »

oops wrong thread!
almax

Post by almax »

Hatsudai wrote:
ghetto kitty wrote:^^ thats fucking shit. why try to pass it off as a doco when its not?
to generate a buzz I guess
Have the producers/'actors' actually admitted that its fake?
I cant find anything, they staunchly deny that its fake.

They have said
“The only thing we re-created were the close-ups on the computer screen. None of the scenes were staged. People are responding to how the story is so streamlined like a narrative film. We actually considered having talking heads. Ultimately, we decided we had the footage to back up this straight narrative.”
this is from wikipedia
Controversy
In an interview Ariel Schulman related that some viewers believe Catfish to be a fake documentary, a hoax: Morgan Spurlock, director/star of the documentary Super Size Me, walked up to the producers of the film during one of its initial screenings and told them "it was the best fake documentary he had ever seen". Comedian Zach Galifianakis also has stated that he does not believe the events in the film to be true.[11]

The Schulman brothers and Joost stand behind their original statements: the film is "100% true"[11] and it tells the story exactly how it happened. They also chalk up the perfect timing of every narrative element in the movie to just coincidence and sheer luck. Ariel Schulman has stated that

"It felt [too perfect] to us also, as we were making it. We're very lucky. We look back at our experience and everything leads to [the moment we discovered things were not what they seemed]. As filmmakers we were ready; we felt like we spent our lives preparing to be ready, and it just happened to be me who shares the office with my brother and my producing partner."[11]
Hatsudai

Post by Hatsudai »

^^ Joaquim Pheonix and casey Affleck went on record stating that "I'm still here" was a 100%, truthful record of events that honestly happened without any staging of events. They maintained that it was really real for the longest of time.

Then they started revealing in interviews that it was all a lie/hoax.

People make stuff up for publicity, and I reckon the makers of Catfish fall into this category.

Personally It doesn't make any difference if it was real or not, I thought it was a decent watch.

Some more theories on the imdb boards:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1584016/boa ... /171387186

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1584016/boa ... /171604160
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

if it was fake, they could have done better! :lol:

the main guy irritated me no end, i wanted him to get duped!

would have been better if i felt sorry for him, cos i actually liked him...
Jinx

Post by Jinx »

Some good doco's suggested on here keep them coming. I watched Gasland on the weekend which was pretty good but quite alarming to see what the American government is allowing to happen to their water supplies. Definitely worth checking out.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

two docos watched on the weekend

crocs attack - really interesting on what is happening with the croc population in Darwin. They killed off thousands back in the 70s and the only way they survived was by going to Kakadoo (sp?) National park. Now they are protected and becoming over populated and moving into "people" areas and more attacks are happening.

house of horrors - the 1960 to 1980s killings by the Wests in England. Well creepy couple who raped and killed i think it was about 17 women, one of which was their daughter
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
quick

Post by quick »

crocs > sharks
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

anyone catch the doco on SBS last night about chimps and how similar they are to humans?

amazing!

they are cute. and wise. i want one.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

quick wrote:crocs > sharks

if there was a doco on both in the one doco i would be in heaven

in my top 10 movies is Jaws and Lake Placid
click here fo fotos
almax

Post by almax »

ghetto kitty wrote:anyone catch the doco on SBS last night about chimps and how similar they are to humans?

amazing!

they are cute. and wise. i want one.
oh so you want to look like this eh?
quick

Post by quick »

wtf is that?
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

Chick who had her face ripped off by a chimp.

They also practice infanticide and war. Lots like us actually.
Evidence suggested that in two of the cases, the killings were perpetrated by groups of resident females against "stranger" females from outside the resident group. Infants were taken from the mothers, who were injured in at least two of the attacks; in at least one case, adult males in the area exhibited displaying behavior, with one old male unsuccessfully attempting to separate the females.
The authors point out that these new observations indicate that such female-led infanticides are neither the result of isolated, pathological behaviors nor the by-product of male aggression, but instead appear to represent part of the female behavior repertoire in chimpanzees.
What drives the behavior is not yet clear, but may stem from demographic shifts that alter sex ratios and put increased pressure on females competing for foraging areas. In their report, the authors note that the Sonso community had experienced a significant population increase in the ten years prior to the infanticide observations (42 individuals in 1996 to 75 in 2006), and that there had been an influx of at least 13 females with dependent offspring since 2001. The population changes resulted in a highly skewed male:female sex ratio of 1:3, with relatively few males available to increase the home range.

According to the authors, the new findings indicate that although low-level aggression between female chimpanzees is more commonly seen, the observed instances of infanticide indicate that deadly aggression is not a gender-specific trait in this species.

Townsend et al.: "Female-led Infanticide in Wild Chimpanzees." Publishing in Current Biology, 15 May 2007, R355-356.
I'd stick with sharks if I were you, Liz :wink:
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

that was GK, not i!

and me thinks sharks could do more damage than a chimp. one doco i watched the dudes calf got torn off and his skin hung like tissue paper off the remaining bone, well gross
click here fo fotos