The Paleolithic Diet

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
almax

The Paleolithic Diet

Post by almax »

Been thinking about switching to this recently, maybe have one day a week where i can eat whatever, but this just makes sense.

Watch the posted video on YouTube.

(no sound required)

(no sound required)

www.paleofood.com for recipes
bonsai

Re: The Paleolithic Diet

Post by bonsai »

the bloke in that first vid looks like he needs a feed. bad.

if its his diet, I cant see the benefits in looking pasty and malnutritioned.
Upcoming....
DNB Sessions Sundays 10.30pm // KISSFM.com.au // 87.6FM
Total Science - 26th June @ Mercat
mrj

Post by mrj »

I dunno, twi-hard chicks might find you sexy if you're all pasty and thin.

I was mega pasty and thin as a kid, why couldn't there be vampire craze back then. I woulda been dead sexy.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

mrj wrote:I dunno, twi-hard chicks might find you sexy if you're all pasty and thin.

I was mega pasty and thin as a kid, why couldn't there be vampire craze back then. I woulda been dead sexy.
hahahha, just lost my shit reading that... good 4m.
Upcoming....
deviant

Post by deviant »

bonsai wrote:the bloke in that first vid looks like he needs a feed. bad.

not all thin and pasty people are malnourished... in fact very few are.

Can't stand this attitude.
almax

Post by almax »

being pasty has little to do with your diet and more to do with sun exposure.
In fact if you are malnourished, you turn a shade of yellow (jaundice)
This diet is all about getting lean, getting rid of excess fat and preventing diseases which have been linked to the modern humans diet of processed refined sugar, salt etc.
If you want to have more bulk, simply exercise.
Or do you all prefer to be skinny fat?

edit: added link
Last edited by almax on Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

hunter-gatherer imo
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

deviant wrote:
bonsai wrote:the bloke in that first vid looks like he needs a feed. bad.

not all thin and pasty people are malnourished... in fact very few are.

Can't stand this attitude.
first time I've ever seen you post something 'serious' mr deviant, sorry to offend buddy.

seeing as this is apparently a non-discussion forum, I will now withhold any comment that could possibly cause offence to skinny pasty dudes that eat well.

the guy in this video is promoting a diet, yet looks not 100% in good health himself.

most people dont really need to diet, monoculture-produced fruit and vegetables, grains etc. contain equivalent amounts of toxins to fast food.. chemical fertilisers, pesticides, fungicides, and herbicide residues are in every single little meal you eat regardless where you purchase it from, unless the food was grown organically. Not only does monoculture kill the earth, it contributes to illnesses, and perhaps causes them in some circumstances.

I think this has a MASSIVE effect on the general health and wellbeing of our species... we have a tendency choose perfect, aesthetically pleasing food without thinking of the methods it went through to produce such a product. i dont see the good in promoting a diet where we still eat the foods that are detrimental to our health due to the way that they are produced. organics all the way. natural sugars and salts are not harmful to our health generally..
Last edited by bonsai on Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Upcoming....
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

don't mess with angry vegans :teef:
nic

Post by nic »

dark green voters imo
deviant

Post by deviant »

On another note, I'd don't think I really understand the point of this diet :?
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

deviant wrote:On another note, I'd don't think I really understand the point of this diet :?
precisely my point mate.
Upcoming....
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

FTs are known.
Upcoming....
almax

Post by almax »

deviant wrote:On another note, I'd don't think I really understand the point of this diet :?
what are you confused about?

http://thepaleodiet.com/faqs/

Q: Describe how The Paleo Diet works.

A: With readily available modern foods, The Paleo Diet mimics the types of foods every single person on the planet ate prior to the Agricultural Revolution (a mere 500 generations ago). These foods (fresh fruits, vegetables, lean meats, and seafood) are high in the beneficial nutrients (soluble fiber, antioxidant vitamins, phytochemicals, omega-3 and monounsaturated fats, and low-glycemic carbohydrates) that promote good health and are low in the foods and nutrients (refined sugars and grains, saturated and trans fats, salt, high-glycemic carbohydrates, and processed foods) that frequently may cause weight gain, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and numerous other health problems. The Paleo Diet encourages dieters to replace dairy and grain products with fresh fruits and vegetables -- foods that are more nutritious than whole grains or dairy products.

Q: How does The Paleo Diet differ from the glut of diet books constantly bombarding the public?

A: The Paleo Diet is the unique diet to which our species is genetically adapted. This program of eating was not designed by diet doctors, faddists, or nutritionists, but rather by Mother Nature's wisdom acting through evolution and natural selection. The Paleo Diet is based upon extensive scientific research examining the types and quantities of foods our hunter-gatherer ancestors ate. This nutritional plan is totally unlike those irresponsible, low-carbohydrate, high-fat, fad diets that allow unlimited consumption of artery-clogging cheeses, bacon, butter, and fatty meats. Rather, the foundation of The Paleo Diet is lean meat, seafood, and unlimited consumption of fresh fruits and veggies.
deviant

Post by deviant »

lol

So, it's basically eating healthy

wow... revolutionary
almax

Post by almax »

deviant wrote:lol

wow... revolutionary
Can you seriously not see the difference between this and other diets, or are you just trolling?
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

deviant wrote:lol

wow... revolutionary
eating healthy is not eating fruit and vegetables from the supermarket.

to be eating healthy is contemplating the amount of fuel, chemical and poison uses to produced that particular food.. and making your judgement based on that.

locally produced food will always taste better and provide better nutrition than anything imported from interstate... imagine the hours spent in fridges, on the back of trucks... those hours of labour and litres of fossil fuel contribute to the collective illness
Upcoming....
deviant

Post by deviant »

tbh, I don't know much about dieting... I know there's a shitload of diets with different names. Mainly weight-loss focused.

Going into that level of research for what is essentially basic healthy eating seems pointless to me. I dunno, eating healthily is something I find easy.
nic

Post by nic »

fruit is fruit - the differences between 'organic' and 'mass farmed etc' are seriously neglibigle.

this diet is very sound imo, common sense.

its what a post heart problem patients get told to do, unfortunately most heart attack victims are too fat / lazy and watching AFL too bother saving themselves from more blockages and like to get their faces into a bowl a marbled fatty mince most nights.

i suggest more fatties take it up and see how they feel after 4 weeks

lol everyone essentially agreeing but disagreeing at same time.
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

nic wrote:fruit is fruit - the differences between 'organic' and 'mass farmed etc' are seriously neglibigle.
are you fucking kidding me?

'mass farmed' or monoculture = use of fossil fuel to produce, use of machines, use of toxic chemicals

organic = ZERO non-reusable fuels, pretty much zero machine use, zero toxicity

if you consider that, as a start, negligible... you obviously very naive or stupid, cobber :)

how can you be comfortable eating something that has been fed with the same content that explosives are produced?
Upcoming....
almax

Post by almax »

deviant wrote:tbh, I don't know much about dieting... I know there's a shitload of diets with different names. Mainly weight-loss focused.

Going into that level of research for what is essentially basic healthy eating seems pointless to me. I dunno, eating healthily is something I find easy.

Ok ok, so essentially yes you can eat other 'diets' and get skinny or gain bulk or whatever you want, but the general principle behind this diet comes down to the diseases linked to modern processed food.
Its about eating the food that our bodies were designed to eat before we came along and changed it.
Potatoes, pasta etc were not in our diet, potatoes were toxic raw, refined grains did not even exist.
Q: Since hunter-gatherers lived a "nasty, short, and brutal life," how can we know if their diets were healthful or not? Don't their short life spans suggest a poor diet?

A: It is certainly true that hunter-gatherers studied during modern times did not have as great an average lifespan as those values found in fully westernized, industrial nations. However, most deaths in hunter-gatherer societies were related to the accidents and trauma of a life spent living outdoors without modern medical care, as opposed to the chronic degenerative diseases that afflict modern societies. In most hunter-gatherer populations today, approximately 10-20% of the population is 60 years of age or older. These elderly people have been shown to be generally free of the signs and symptoms of chronic disease (obesity, high blood pressure, high cholesterol levels) that universally afflict the elderly in western societies. When these people adopt western diets, their health declines and they begin to exhibit signs and symptoms of "diseases of civilization."
nic

Post by nic »

look bro, im an expert on this kind of thing.

im not talking about embodied energy in making foods etc. im talking about the dietary, nutrional differences between a bit of fruit grown 'organically' and one grown 'by robots'

the differences are minimal as far as nutrition goes. imo teh whole 'organic produce' thing has been hijacked and taken to teh cleaners and no one can tell anymore.
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

nic wrote:look bro, im an expert on this kind of thing.

im not talking about embodied energy in making foods etc. im talking about the dietary, nutrional differences between a bit of fruit grown 'organically' and one grown 'by robots'

the differences are minimal as far as nutrition goes. imo teh whole 'organic produce' thing has been hijacked and taken to teh cleaners and no one can tell anymore.
self diagosed experts don't always use commonsense.

where is your evidence to suggest this is the case?

nutrition depends on our planet being alive for food production.
Upcoming....
nic

Post by nic »

lol u lose
deviant

Post by deviant »

I eat potato...

I do try to aviod refined sugar as much as possible (I don't like it really anyway, nor the feeling you get from eating it)
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

nic wrote:lol u lose
typical uneducated and ego-driven troll.
Last edited by bonsai on Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Upcoming....
almax

Post by almax »

I read somewhere that the fruit in supermarkets are put in big tents which are filled with nitrogen gas at 20c. I think thats 'cause they pick them unripe, then transport from say Queensland to Victoria and then use the gas them to ripen them. Could be wrong though.
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

almax wrote:I read somewhere that the fruit in supermarkets are put in big tents which are filled with nitrogen gas at 20c. I think thats 'cause they pick them unripe, then transport from say Queensland to Victoria and then use the gas them to ripen them. Could be wrong though.
Generally they use ethylene Al... but you are pretty much spot on with the method.
Upcoming....
nic

Post by nic »

bonsai wrote:

:(

r u saying my phd from the university of real life isnt worth anything?
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

enough with the personal slights, ok?
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

nic wrote:
bonsai wrote:

why dont you use it for an educated discussion instead of complete drool?
Upcoming....
almax

Post by almax »

bonsai wrote:
almax wrote:I read somewhere that the fruit in supermarkets are put in big tents which are filled with nitrogen gas at 20c. I think thats 'cause they pick them unripe, then transport from say Queensland to Victoria and then use the gas them to ripen them. Could be wrong though.
Generally they use ethylene Al... but you are pretty much spot on with the method.

Ah yeah thats the one, thats why they taste like rubbish so yeah it wouldnt surprise me if they were nutricionally devoid plus who know what GM fruit is gonna do to you.
Where i grew up, my parents were mad gardeners and had all kinds of fresh fruit n veg, can could not for supermarket nectarines, fucking disgraceful representation of what is such a delish fruit when fresh and ripe.
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

nic wrote:
bonsai wrote:

:nic:
almax

Post by almax »

nic wrote:
bonsai wrote:

why dont you use it for an educated discussion instead of complete drool?
Be careful Ben, you are taking on the melbournebeats.com mascot, he is the lifeblood of this place and bigger than you in this digital realm.

:teef:

:donk: ey
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

almax wrote:
bonsai wrote:

Ah yeah thats the one, thats why they taste like rubbish so yeah it wouldnt surprise me if they were nutricionally devoid plus who know what GM fruit is gonna do to you.
Where i grew up, my parents were mad gardeners and had all kinds of fresh fruit n veg, can could not for supermarket nectarines, fucking disgraceful representation of what is such a delish fruit when fresh and ripe.
Just to clarify, GM is not related to the use of ethylene to ripen fruits such as bananas. Ethylene is actually a phytohormone exuded by fruits as they ripen (this is why bananas in a fruit bowl or in a plastic bag ripen more rapidly than those left alone on the kitchen bench), humans have just exploited this plant physiological pathway to manage fruit spoilage.
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
almax

Post by almax »

yeah i didnt imply that ethylene is GM, there was a "plus" there, as in another point of conjecture.
Still, picking the fruit unripe then artificially ripening it....that aint natures way, i dont know for sure but it wouldn't surprise me if some nutricional value is lost, flavour certainly is.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

This diet makes sense (as nic said). It ain't rocket science... although I don't think wholegrains (in moderation) are as bad for you as it makes out.
Last edited by Direkt on Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

It is natures way for unripe fruit to ripen from proximity to other fruit though.
Don't hate me for house
nic

Post by nic »

:scr1pt: foosihabr

enough with the scientific slurs, people.
this is a rave forum, there are more pertinent things to discuss.

it is difficult to hold a proper trolling session with bonsai as he bites back too hard IMHO.
makes it personal when it should always be personlol.
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

Direkt wrote:This diet makes sense (as nic said). It ain't rocket science... although I don't think wholegrains (in moderation) are as bad for you as it makes out.
Not nitrogen mang. Ethylene.
nic wrote::scr1pt: foosihabr

enough with the scientific slurs, people.
this is a rave forum, there are more pertinent things to discuss.

it is difficult to hold a proper trolling session with bonsai as he bites back too hard IMHO.
makes it personal when it should always be personlol.
as far as I'm concerned, the Off Topic forum is for exactly that, off topic discussion, if you can't handle the heat, stay the fuck outta the kitchen sweetheart.

I aint making anything personal, this forum is as far from real life as you can possibly get, if you wanna take it to heart then I am terribly sorry you are so attached to online life.

Shall we continue the discussion?
Upcoming....
almax

Post by almax »

JAMESSSS wrote:It is natures way for unripe fruit to ripen from proximity to other fruit though.
But what about the flavours man! the FLAVOURS
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

The way this thread has spiraled into nastiness is just more evidence of the lack of good pills in this town.

It saddens me so.
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

I think flavour has long been lost thanks to our desire for aesthetics...

You simply cannot have both, not as uniformly as we desire anyway...

Seed companies and plant farms have long been producing vigourous hybrids (not neccessarily GM) to produce masses of fruit, with disease free properties..

What we overlook are the methods of production.. we still think we are eating healthy, when in reality we are eating the by product of heavily chemically fertilised dead soils, that has travelled thousands of kilometres on carbon monoxide infested highways, been locked up in fridges and gassed to ripen, and then sitting under fluro lights in your local supermarket for days on end marketed as 'FRESH FRUIT AND VEGETABLES'

Excellent.
Upcoming....
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

Direkt wrote:The way this thread has spiraled into nastiness is just more evidence of the lack of good pills in this town.

It saddens me so.
I'm over talking about shit pills, it saddens me more so Spiesl.
Upcoming....
nic

Post by nic »

no worries bonsai!
:) x :smt007

you, deviant and I shall have a tasmanian hugs, drugs and bros session at 5pm ok?

btw I went to Youngs vegie shed today to buy vegetables and fruit.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Known.
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

nic wrote: Image
:smt005

please add as permanent smiley.

for a healthy eating thread this all turned rather toxic eh.
organic conversation needed for teh paleontologists.
less pesticides and nasties.

:fridaypissyplur:
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

nic wrote:no worries bonsai!
:) x :smt007

you, deviant and I shall have a tasmanian hugs, drugs and bros session at 5pm ok?

btw I went to Youngs vegie shed today to buy vegetables and fruit.
bring me tassie drugs and fruit and we are best hugs time :smt006

known.
Upcoming....
deviant

Post by deviant »

Direkt wrote: although I don't think wholegrains (in moderation) are as bad for you as it makes out.
Funnily enough, there's evidence to suggest that we didn't get rotten teeth (caries/cavities) prior to processing of grains. It's the sugars in oats, wheat and barley that cause tooth rot (or attract the bacteria that cause tooth rot).