The Over 30's Crowd.....

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
a1studmuffin

Re: The Over 30's Crowd.....

Post by a1studmuffin »

That's a really interesting point that quick makes though. It's absolutely true from my experiences as well in London. I also noticed that a *lot* of ~30 year olds there have flatmates (ie. friends not partners), and hardly anyone owned property or had a lot of assets. I wonder how much of it is to do with the cost of living being so high there, and how much is to do with the fact most of those people would be doing the same thing every other traveller does, ie. move to London and "live to party" for a few years. Probably a mix.
quick

Post by quick »

quiet roar wrote:
Hardy wrote:
quick wrote:these London folk are so much older than us Aussies, well Melbourne peeps. they dont do 'after-parties' well not at 6am anyway, and most nights out end at 2 or 3 latest... 1 month in London and not once did i go to an allnight rave cos they are all too 'old'... over 30s still rock melbs, but not here
Sounds like heaven to me.
Yep!

Hopefully not too long and melbourne will also "grow up".
hahaha WHAT??? what the hell does that mean??? so you need the whole city to change for you to be able to party this way? i seriously don't get what you mean, cos if you have a problem with late nights and after parties, go home and sleep at an earlier time, melbourne doesn't have to do anything different, you have the choice!

my point was, that there isn't really the option in London, you can do what you want to do in Melbourne with the options available... pub early, bar later, club even later, house somewhere for after party... easy, but you can't do what Melb peeps do, in London, not that i found anyway, club nights still start late and end late (well 5 or 6am in big clubs) but then everyone goes home... LAME!

This is no reflection on set times for big name dj's either... most big dnb/dubstep gigs here also start at 11 go till 6, the partying just doesn't continue at someones place after, well its not common to do so anyway, thats what i have been told by many londoners...

i like to call it quits now and again and go home early (not that often :P ) which is simple, but the lifestyle in melb allows you to choose...
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Quick, I told you go see my little bro.
when I was in London there was all night raves, house parties, pubs, clubs everything.
My last night there went for 3 days.

You're doing it wrong!
quick

Post by quick »

i dunno, if it happens, they are small, cos people are so much more spread out in London and cabs cost shitloads and no one drives, so it makes after parties limited to the few who live right near by generally... in melbs peeps share cabs to get to said house and make their way home later, which is usually in 10km circle of city...

my initial point was just that people in london seem to be happy to just got to a few generic like bars with dodgy music until 2 am, rather than going out for good music... obviously this is relevant to the people i knew there, but i did have a pretty varying range of mates, they just seem to prefer that on a night out... clubs are a rare excursion out, even though they still get on it and get drunk as fuk each week, they just do it in lame venues... i just dont get it... if you want to party, do it proppa with some good music at a decent venue, not somewhere where half the dance floor is full of retired eastenders actors...

did do a few house parties tho, but again, it all shuts down before sun up and not because of a lack of substances/booze, they just 'dont' party long...
Last edited by quick on Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

Yeah, my experience in london was that it kicked on same way it does here. Ended up at randoms places a few times only to find myself thinking how unsafe I was...
quick

Post by quick »

you feel unsafe in melb?
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

Well I have at times. But in London after Rumba one Thursday night I went back with some guys I had met. About 15 minutes after getting to their flat in god knows where I got a shitty feeling about them and realised I had no idea where I was or who the fuk I was dealing with and basically fled. Probably friendly enough but fact is - shit IS more hardcore in London.

Hell I was mugged ON the dance floor in Camden while AndyC was playing. No one did shit around me - just let the pricks roll me.

For all I knew at that flat I could of been roof-i-eyed up and left for deadski. Could happen in Melbourne, but given the size of things I'd likely be able to track the fukers down.

Ummm, yes, I do suffer from paranoia from time to time as well.
quick

Post by quick »

maybe thats why 30+ dont raev as much, more dodge? anyway, was just my experience, and i thought it was lame as fuk
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

quick wrote:
quiet roar wrote:Yep!

hahaha WHAT??? what the hell does that mean??? so you need the whole city to change for you to be able to party this way? i seriously don't get what you mean, cos if you have a problem with late nights and after parties, go home and sleep at an earlier time, melbourne doesn't have to do anything different, you have the choice!
Pray tell, where I can find a party (or club) that peaks before 2am?
The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

imho peaktime at most clubs worth going to is 1-3am.
after that and it often becomes ugly hour.

unless im there with massive crew/amazing tunes/rugs im usually home by 3-4 latest.

up by ten, that's six hours at least.

some weekends/weeks i do this 3 nights a week, and work 5 days. its not easy but its totes doable.
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

I reckon you're rolling with the wrong crew/s Quick.
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

Agree kitty but there are plenty of parties where the main acts don't even start til 3.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

sleep till 11, get up, go out at midnight, home at five?

all tactics i employ!
quick

Post by quick »

quiet roar wrote:
quick wrote:
quiet roar wrote:Yep!

Pray tell, where I can find a party (or club) that peaks before 2am?
RSL Club?

I dont know... as i said, in London, gigs worth going to, i.e. good dj line-up, still start late and finish late, like 11pm-6am, so this is no different... if you want that to change i think you'll need to run your own night cos it seems pretty standard most places i have been in europe as well... unless its live band/hip hop concert thingy...

the difference is people choosing lame bars with shit music (brunswick st/acland st bars) instead of good music cos they don't want to do the whole rave thing... maybe they started earlier in life (they most probably did), but still, current party habits in London are way different to melb and berlin, me like melb and berlin scene a lot more thats for sure...
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

But that's exactly my point, kitty - you need to have "tactics" to deal with late nights because nobody caters for the early party people.
quick

Post by quick »

Blaxter wrote:I reckon you're rolling with the wrong crew/s Quick.
same crews that i rolled with hard in colombia, they know how to party, trust! but many peeps told me in London, it is only a real big occasion to go to a decent gig, otherwise its lame bar then home by 2.... in melbs u can rock up to a club at 11 and be gone at 3 and have a great time, they only seem to do that in bars in London, not clubs... a club night is a big night that requires planning, energy, stuff, so they can party until tube starts cos the dont want to pay stupid amounts for cabs... so there is no inbetween...

i have not gone to a club cos all everyone wants to do is house party or pub it up, but they say it is not common to after-party that is for sure, and i asked many different crews... my first night out in Melb was followed by a random after party at Lan and Noahs place... welcome to melb... nothing close to that in London yet
quick

Post by quick »

quiet roar wrote:because nobody caters for the early party people.
because we dont want you
:teefnilly:
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Late nights are for faggots.
quick

Post by quick »

early bed times are for pedos
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Yeah, well, them kids have to go to bed early innit
quick

Post by quick »

that was my point...

my point again... you are a sack face
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Hardy wrote:Yeah, well, them kids have to go to bed early innit
Only a pedo or a parent knows that fo sure.
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

quick wrote:that was my point...

my point again... you are a sack face
hehehe... sack face
quick

Post by quick »

ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

quiet roar wrote:But that's exactly my point, kitty - you need to have "tactics" to deal with late nights because nobody caters for the early party people.
yeah well that is crap tbh. i put on an early sunday gig cos people here said better then late, and none of em came. not doing anymore after this weekend.

not financially feasible to cater to everyone.
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

if i had a life i would have come huhu
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
Kaiproject

Post by Kaiproject »

ghetto kitty wrote:
quiet roar wrote:But that's exactly my point, kitty - you need to have "tactics" to deal with late nights because nobody caters for the early party people.
yeah well that is crap tbh. i put on an early sunday gig cos people here said better then late, and none of em came. not doing anymore after this weekend.

:( i came n im wellll under 30. as wer a lotta ppl i rekn
i dunno if its an age thing tho, i can barely get any of my mates to come out compared to just a year ago. just so much on etc.
hopefully end of skooltime and summer party vibes change things up a bit
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

ghetto kitty wrote:

Sunday is a whole other kettle of fish though. I think what people are saying is they don't want to wait until 1am or later on a friday or saturday to see the beginning of the act they paid to see. Sunday is a shit day to do a party, cos people have to work the next day, even if it's on earlier.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

sure okay, sundays are crap, yet people want somewhere to listen to good tunes on sunday, not enough internationals, too early, too late, whatever, sometimes opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.

kudos to you kaiproject!
quick

Post by quick »

Hardy wrote:
ghetto kitty wrote:

Sunday is a whole other kettle of fish though. I think what people are saying is they don't want to wait until 1am or later on a friday or saturday to see the beginning of the act they paid to see. Sunday is a shit day to do a party, cos people have to work the next day, even if it's on earlier.
cant do it earlier cos need time to organise pingaz first innit
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

you've had all bloody weekend tho!
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

ghetto kitty wrote:

I understand the frustration, kitty, and your last line is no doubt true, but Hardy is spot on: we aren't really talking about sunday afternoon gigs here.

Beats Working had it right! (before the move to BA, of course)
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

well its the melbourne thing isnt it?

home by seven, eat dinner by nine, back out for pre drinks by eleven, peak at one to 3, home by five/six. or afterparty.

im not a night person, i like waking up in daylight hours, but you gotta shift the entire trend of the city, and its hard, just like alcoholism, where does one begin?

our bday party here was rammed by eight pm a couple weeks ago, but that was coz of free booze, if it wasnt free it would have been quiet till ten/eleven at least.

its easy to demand/wish for stuff to do with events guys, not as easy to deliver it and make it viable.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

would you really go quiet roar? or you just playing devils advocate?

my party days (raving that is) are pretty much well over, i prefer house parties, dinner out with mates, or drinks down the pub. can't handle the idea of clubs anymore, just doesn't do it for me like the old days....oh how i miss them...i am old
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

Start in the afternoon & finish the main guest at midnight.

Job sorted.

Friday & Saturday nights.

can still get a decent nights sleep in without being spangled the next day.
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

ghetto kitty wrote:well its the melbourne thing isnt it?

home by seven, eat dinner by nine, back out for pre drinks by eleven, peak at one to 3, home by five/six. or afterparty.

im not a night person, i like waking up in daylight hours, but you gotta shift the entire trend of the city, and its hard, just like alcoholism, where does one begin?

our bday party here was rammed by eight pm a couple weeks ago, but that was coz of free booze, if it wasnt free it would have been quiet till ten/eleven at least.

its easy to demand/wish for stuff to do with events guys, not as easy to deliver it and make it viable.
why is it like this?
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Feigan wrote:
ghetto kitty wrote:well its the melbourne thing isnt it?

why is it like this?
I think I know where you're going.

These trends are set by the clubs and promotors. They're the ones that say when the night begins and ends and when the djs are on. It's not dictated by the people.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

you tell me feigs, my quality of life would be ten time better if it was as you said above ^^^
tired kitty.

edit - hardy, no actually, thats not true for me personally at all. id be quite happy to put all of our events on from 2-3pm till midnight but im telling you, the punters (who on the whole are 20-30) would not come out during the day. then they would kick up a stink that we close early.

the punters actually dictate what ends up happening, not the other way around. no punters through door means proomters change their tactics. i could go on about this for ages but im not going to cos the last time i saw either of you at a gig here or anywhere else was....well........
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

Wouldn't go weekly, or even monthly, Lizkins but I certainly would go occassionally. Older folk without 3 kids and weekend work would probably go more often. I do miss going out for a boogie but I also must admit it's not simply late starts that keep me away: I too am pretty-much over the whole club thing but that may partly be because of the types of clubs out there.
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

ghetto kitty wrote:you tell me feigs, my quality of life would be ten time better if it was as you said above ^^^
tired kitty.

edit - hardy, no actually, thats not true for me personally at all. id be quite happy to put all of our events on from 2-3pm till midnight but im telling you, the punters (who on the whole are 20-30) would not come out during the day. then they would kick up a stink that we close early.

the punters actually dictate what ends up happening, not the other way around. no punters through door means proomters change their tactics. i could go on about this for ages but im not going to cos the last time i saw either of you at a gig here or anywhere else was....well........
The reason I don't go to gigs is exactly the reasons i've listed earlier: nights start way too late. That is the ONLY reason. I'm not going to pay money to see an act that doesn't come on until after 1am. I'm not necessarily talking about daytime gigs, but putting a headling DJ at 10:00 - 11:00 is more ideal I think.

I also know I'm not in the promotors demographic anymore, so i'm not expecting (or asking) for it to change. I don't mean to sound like i'm having a sook, but the human body (well, mine anyway) is not designed to function in these ways.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

if thats the ONLY reason then fair enough, but i think that's a bit silly of a reason unless you work weekends at five am.
i hate the last starts as much as you guys, honestly, but if its an amazing act ill sleep first, not drink, and go just for that set. for the music. drink soda water, dance, mingle and come home feeling only a bit of sleep dep (which is a pretty full on drug hehe)

headline djs at 10-11pm will be playing to empty rooms, leaves unhappy acts and agents, means no more tours for melbourne promoters. most people arrive at club gigs at eleven to twelve. most people arrive at band gigs at nine to ten and leave the minute the band finishes. no matter what band or what genre this is what happens in most venues most weekends in melbourne. one could argue that we then get to do both in one night, band first, then electronic after, and i often do this for work/agency reasons.
bands want to run gigs here till 3am - i say no, cos i know what the band crowd does.

you guys want to put on a day gig, play, promote etc, im all for it, come talk to me, but every time this is brought up it feels like old timers whinging cos nobody actually does anything to change it.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

quiet roar wrote:Wouldn't go weekly, or even monthly, Lizkins but I certainly would go occassionally. Older folk without 3 kids and weekend work would probably go more often. I do miss going out for a boogie but I also must admit it's not simply late starts that keep me away: I too am pretty-much over the whole club thing but that may partly be because of the types of clubs out there.

point taken, but quite frankly i think most of us don't go out as much because of the following (in MY OPINION):

- its late, we're old now and like our sleep
- we have been there and done that < this for me is a big one. i used to party from Thursday through to Sunday for years in my early twenties, even hospital trips due to overdosing wouldn't stop me, and i would be back out the following weekend.
- my ears get sore with the music, yes i could use ear plugs, but i could also stay home and have the music at the level i like lol
- money - we are putting our money towards other stuff like houses and trips overseas, our priorities have shifted
- settled down - getting into your late 20s early 30s you most likely will have a partner, and hence hanging with them doing coupley stuff is more appealing than getting smashed til dawn. Actually, even if i was single, i would be the same, but hey

i have others but i forget them right now, stupid memory, oh wait, i got another

memories - i like keeping them these days, i have lost so many lol
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Having said all the things i've said, I know the other side of the coin is that the promotors have a job to do, and that if it aint financially viable, then it aint gonna happen. I've never been a promotor so I don't know all the trends. I also know that my attitudes and habits have changed. But what I said is true... I don't go out because I just can't do the late nights anymore. Plus i've been doing since I was 15-16, so I've run a good race. I still love the music. I'm just old and curmudgeonly now.

Now where's my slippers and pipe?
Sociopathic

Post by Sociopathic »

So I'm not in my 30's, I'm only 26 (I just look old for those who have seen me)

But even I would prefer things if they were on a bit earlier, especially now I live further out.
The whole putting off until something stupid like 11pm to go out irks me because by that stage I've kinda relaxed after work and shit and missioning all the way into the city is just a pain in the arse.

I'm also completely over being stupid hungover and/or extreemly tired and then wasting my days off.
Theres so much to do in this city and to see, and sleeping until past midday to catch up on the fact that you had to stay out until like 4am just to watch an entire set is draining.

Mind you that all said I also just don't go out that much any more anyway so meh.

But now I'm scared if I'm like this now what am I gonna be like when I'm you guys ages? :P
The fridge is angry, the cheese told me so.

Watch out for the penguins, they are comming
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Sociopathic wrote:So I'm not in my 30's, I'm only 26 (I just look old for those who have seen me)

But even I would prefer things if they were on a bit earlier, especially now I live further out.
The whole putting off until something stupid like 11pm to go out irks me because by that stage I've kinda relaxed after work and shit and missioning all the way into the city is just a pain in the arse.
The human body is not naturally or instinctively designed to be active at such hours. It starts to shut down in the evening, regardless of whether you have slept all day or been awake..
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Hardy wrote:
Now where's my pipe?
This.
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Blaxter wrote:
Hardy wrote:
Now where's my pipe?
This.
WHERE'S ME CRACKY!?!
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

Hardy wrote:The human body is not naturally or instinctively designed to be active at such hours. It starts to shut down in the evening, regardless of whether you have slept all day or been awake..
that's what the dirty wizz is for innit
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Hardy wrote:
Blaxter wrote:
Hardy wrote:
Now where's my pipe?
This.
WHERE'S ME CRACKY!?!