The Over 30's Crowd.....

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
Feigan

The Over 30's Crowd.....

Post by Feigan »

THE SPOILED UNDER-30 CROWD!!!

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were. When they were growing up; what with walking Twenty-five miles to school every morning.... Uphill.... barefoot... BOTH ways Yadda, yadda, yadda...........

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in hell I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on my kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it!

But now that.... I'm over the ripe old age of thirty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today.

You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a damn Utopia!

And I hate to say it, but you kids today, you don't know how good you've got it!
I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have The Internet. If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the damn library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalogue!!

There was no email!! We had to actually write somebody a letter - with a pen!

Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox and it would take, like, a week to get there! Stamps were 10 cents!

Child Protective Services didn't care if our parents beat us. As a matter of fact, the parents of all my friends also had permission to kick our ass! Nowhere was safe!

There were no MP3' s or Napsters! If you wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the damn record store and shoplift it yourself!

Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ would usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up! There were no CD players! We had tape decks in our car. We'd play our favorite tape and "eject" it when finished and the tape would come undone. Cause - that's how we rolled, dig?

We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called they got a busy signal, that's it!
And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either!

When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your mom, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, a collections agent, you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!

We didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'Asteroids'. Your guy was a little square! You actually had to use your imagination!! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen.... forever!

And you could never win... The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!

You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your ass and walk over to the TV to change the channel! NO REMOTES!!!

There was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning. Do you hear what I'm saying!?! We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-bastards!

And we didn't have microwaves, if we wanted to heat something up we had to use the stove!
Imagine that!

That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled. You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1980 or before!

Regards,

The Over 30 Crowd
DBoy

Re: The Over 30's Crowd.....

Post by DBoy »

Mobile phones!

If you were hooking up with someone you made a time, usaully the night before, and you stuck to it. You had to wait at the Clocks until the mother fuker turned up - if they were late, or the train was cancelled, or if the bailed with the hot chick from the country, of if the deal fell through - you got stood the fuk up and ended up at megazone by YOSELF - chump.
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

Megazone!

comparable to Timezone?

well played D.

spot on.

Reverse charges phone calls from phone boxes or 1800 REVERSE
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

LOL just sent that round the office Feegs.

That'll show the little whipper snappers.
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

haha! Megazone was a Timezone rip off, but with pool tables - was on Flinders Street just where Degraves comes off in a basement. (before it moved to Bannana Alley -
Back in the days when Central Station was down that way.)

Spent a good part of my young teenage years in there with the crew playing NBA Jam in between skating at flatlands or five fingers at the 7/11 up the road.

That is another thing.

There used to be 2 or 3 7/11's in the city. If you wanted a slurpee you had to travel - non of this every other friggin block bizness.
mrj

Post by mrj »

Totally.

When I was young if you exhibited behvioural problems you got a belting.

These days if you exhibit behavioural problems they give you legal amphetamines, and by extension, access to heaps of emo hotties.

Wheres the justice?
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
youthful_implants

Got a resoundingly positive response after forwarding that to my whole office.

Including some additions to the list:

there’s more to how easy these bastards have it–

1. You didn’t break up with someone or ‘un-friend’ people you knew (over Facebook) – you had to deal with them face to face, with raw real emotions and an occasional black eye.

2. You couldn’t check on your iPhones how far your tram was before leaving the warm comfort of the pub – you left the pub, hung out on the stop in pouring rain for half an hour before the tram decided to show up.
Strontium Music

ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

I am not liking the fact that i turn 31 this year. 30 was cool, 31 is not.
almax

Post by almax »

Feigan wrote:
When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your mom, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, a collections agent, you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!
you had a drug dealer in the 80's? :smt005
youthful_implants

ghetto kitty wrote:I am not liking the fact that i turn 31 this year. 30 was cool, 31 is not.
nah thats bullshit Bo. 31 is AWESOME.
Strontium Music

DBoy

Post by DBoy »

almax wrote:
Feigan wrote:
who said anything about the 80's? This was just about before there was caller ID / mobile phones - which included a lot of the 90's too right?
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

alex - okay ill take your word for it. but im surrounded by youngins, my house - all younger. work - all younger. sheesh!

do any of you freak out when you see someones birth year is 1992 and they are actually allowed inside clubs?

:lol: i do!
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Gold.
almax

Post by almax »

DBoy wrote:
almax wrote:
Feigan wrote:
who said anything about the 80's? This was just about before there was caller ID / mobile phones - which included a lot of the 90's too right?
He did
Feigan wrote: That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled. You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1980 or before!

Regards,

The Over 30 Crowd
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

Face it Almax - you missed the point and ruined the thread! Facts won't save you now.
Your old too you know, just cause your girlfriend was born in the 90's does not make you a child.

I have no idea how we did things before mobiles and email.
almax

Post by almax »

DBoy wrote:Face it Almax - you missed the point and ruined the thread! Facts won't save you now.
Your old too you know, just cause your girlfriend was born in the 90's does not make you a child.

I have no idea how we did things before mobiles and email.
:smt005
lilstormer

Post by lilstormer »

ghetto kitty wrote:alex - okay ill take your word for it. but im surrounded by youngins, my house - all younger. work - all younger. sheesh!

do any of you freak out when you see someones birth year is 1992 and they are actually allowed inside clubs?

:lol: i do!
Maybe I should move into your house kitty, I can raise the median age and make you feel dead young like!
Free to those that can afford it, very expensive to those that can't.
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

32 is the new 23

only downside of the 30's are the hangovers. the rest is good. more money. more life experience. more appreciation of the couch. still can function basically. young people don't respect you but you don't care anymore.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

YOU'LL HAVE TO SPEAK UP, MY HEARING'S NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

ghetto kitty wrote:I am not liking the fact that i turn 31 this year. 30 was cool, 31 is not.
31's been good to me so far.
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

If anyone wants to feel really old, come teach 13-17 year olds with me. They think 35 (me) is almost dead.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

c'mon OB1, you though the same of your teachers when you were that age.

I love thinking back to the good old days. You could leave the house in the morning and not come home til dinner time. You weren't worried about sex fiends like now, there's a pedophile story every second day on the news these days. It just seemed a lot more carefree. I reckon although kids nowadays have the benefit of technology, they also have it harder at school cause the competition's so much tougher. They grow up a lot faster, lots more latchkey kids cause Mums work more. But the kids today have a lot more attitude, thanks to no spankings at home I think. A belting here and there never did me any permanent damage and I learned respect...there's not a lot of respect anymore.
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

And you could never win... The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!
like this one
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Did anyone else used to put a bottle of something alocholic in the rubbish bins for the garbo's on Christmas Day?
deviant

Post by deviant »

My mum used to give me $2 (you know that big green note) to go to the video arcade..... that would last me ALL AFTERNOON. I don't think you could even play one game for that now.

I remember when we first got cal waiting on the phone... was some sort of amazing thing.
Feigan wrote:There were no MP3' s or Napsters! If you wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the damn record store and shoplift it yourself!
ummm, didn't you have tapes?

Oh, I see you did
Feigan wrote: Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ would usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up! There were no CD players! We had tape decks in our car. We'd play our favorite tape and "eject" it when finished and the tape would come undone. Cause - that's how we rolled, dig?
don't forget that you had to REWIND the fuckers every time (unless you had those double sided numbers)
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

fooishbar wrote:YOU'LL HAVE TO SPEAK UP, MY HEARING'S NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE
begone, diapers :teef:
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

deviant wrote:My mum used to give me $2 (you know that big green note) to go to the video arcade..... that would last me ALL AFTERNOON. I don't think you could even play one game for that now.
And $1 worth of mixed lollies could equal 100 ACTUAL LOLLIES.

Choc mates were 1c each.

These days you buy $1 of mixed lollies and you can this pissy little handful in a celophane bag - not the big-arse bag we used to get.

Still, shopkeepers must be revlieved they don't have to count out 100 mixed lollies, all for the princely sum of $1, anymore...
almax

Post by almax »

haha yeah totally, i remember standing there saying ill have 5c of caramel swirls, 5c of freckles, 5c of choc buds, 5c of milk buds etc etc
And fish and chip shops, you could get 50c worth of chips and it would fill you and a mate up.
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

Would you rather be turning 21?

Don't know how you can handle hanging out with young'uns all the time, kitty. Maybe it's the extra decade I have under my belt, but I have little tolerance for most young people, nowadays.
The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

mixtress wrote:c'mon OB1, you though the same of your teachers when you were that age.
Not really. They actually seemed young to me. I was far too mature for my age back then, I guess...still am. Comes with being such a distinguished gentleman.

:teef:
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

:D

Even if my teachers were young they still seemed pretty old/oldish to me. Looking back though, some of them were barely out of school themselves. It's so different seeing it from this side of the fence, you know, being old and that.
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

mixtress wrote::D

Even if my teachers were young they still seemed pretty old/oldish to me. Looking back though, some of them were barely out of school themselves. It's so different seeing it from this side of the fence, you know, being old and that.
:lol:

One of my new teachers is 23. He looks like he's bout 15. Make's it hard for him when he's a head shorter than some of his 13 year old students, looks like he should be wearing a uniform and hasn't mastered the art of classroom 'management'. Comes to me for advice and makes me feel old every day. When did I become the one giving advice? I was under impression that I was still one of the young ones.

:wink:
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

quiet roar wrote:
Would you rather be turning 21?

Don't know how you can handle hanging out with young'uns all the time, kitty. Maybe it's the extra decade I have under my belt, but I have little tolerance for most young people, nowadays.
I would not rather be turning 21, nope. Agree with everything Shep said about getting older, i guess I am just reminded that i aint a youf anymore and havent been for quite a while (i realised this at around 25/26 heheh)

When Im a punter at gigs, I cant handle the youngsters, at Lupe Fiasco I HATED the crowd, same at laneway fest, all demographic that comes in a good generation younger than me...so I just cant party with them anymore really...

But, there is something to be said for the wide eyed bushy tailed enthusiasm of youngsters, rather than the grumbly jadedness of older people, both in life and in the music industry.

I like to nurture the youngsters for they are the ones who will be taking over, when Im ready to rock back n forth on my porch with a shotgun and my stocks of rice.

;)
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Fuck it, I just got older last week, and I'm loving it.
I'm wiser when I want to be, more experienced when I need to be.
And I can get my haircut without having to be told to by my mum.

edit: Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

ghetto kitty wrote:But, there is something to be said for the wide eyed bushy tailed enthusiasm of youngsters, rather than the grumbly jadedness of older people, both in life and in the music industry.
Yeah, I must admit few of these types sprinkled through the crowd ain't a bad thing.
deviant

Post by deviant »

my brother turns 30 on Thursday..... I will email him a link to this thread as a present
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

quiet roar wrote:
ghetto kitty wrote:But, there is something to be said for the wide eyed bushy tailed enthusiasm of youngsters, rather than the grumbly jadedness of older people, both in life and in the music industry.
Yeah, I must admit few of these types sprinkled through the crowd ain't a bad thing.
The world (and gigs) need their fair share of jaded chin strokers as well.
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

deviant wrote:my brother turns 30 on Thursday..... I will email him a link to this thread as a present
Tightarse!

:P
aroes

Post by aroes »

this thread is lolz

maybe it should be called the over 20s crowd

i'm only 25 and i can remember all the stuff people are ranting about.....flatlands, timezone, bulging bags of mixed lollies, taping your favourite tunes off the radio

maybe the only difference about being over 30 is that you turn into a whinging khunt

awaits ban
nic

Post by nic »

+1
ban over 30's
except for the ones that rave of course
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

nic wrote:+1
ban over 30's
except for the ones that rave of course
must be an active chin stroker not armchair interweb hero IMO
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

aroes wrote:this thread is lolz

i'm only 25 and i can remember all the stuff people are ranting about.....flatlands, timezone, bulging bags of mixed lollies, taping your favourite tunes off the radio

maybe the only difference about being over 30 is that you turn into a whinging khunt

awaits ban
Yep - that is the sound of one of 'them' alright. Born with a silver spoon in his hand. Mobile phone in hand, computer at home as a kid.
Thinking they are better than every other generation - god's gift and all.
You can tell them a mile off. Friggin kids. :retzielikes:
nic

Post by nic »

i bet he wears plimsolls and subscribes to blogs rather than readin the local newspaper.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

yeah but Aroes is from Dandy.

that kind of makes sense then right?

:awaitsbeatdownfromaroes:

<3 you! hehehe
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

:mrgreen:

Brilliant thread Feigan. Think I might forward this around the office too! :)
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

youthful_implants wrote:
nah thats bullshit Bo. 31 is AWESOME.
Totally, it stays on the awesome of 30 and just cruises on until you get the other awesome of 40!
Having said that, im about to turn 32 and its SOOOO boring!! To be confident in what you want, what you know for sure you dont want, as Shep says, not actually caring. I love being this age so much more than when I was younger. Yeah stuff hurts more and triple recovery time, but ive found i dont want to get as flogged anyway.

Scotty, this is so true! Good work :D

I was meeting a friend in Moama and we had no service. Had a major panic straight away and was thinking, fuck, if theres no service, how can we meet them?!?!?! and then thought, hang on, before mobiles, I wasnt sitting at home doing nothing wishing I had a way of contacting the person at the meeting place. fuck, if you missed the train, you just got the next one knowing the person you were meeting would just wait, pissed off, but would wait. So it wasnt a problem, we just acted like we used too. :lol:

I will happily wear the label of 'whinging cunt' before Id wear a rubbish Gen Y or the like label.
aroes

Post by aroes »

DBoy wrote:
aroes wrote:this thread is lolz

awaits ban
Yep - that is the sound of one of 'them' alright. Born with a silver spoon in his hand. Mobile phone in hand, computer at home as a kid.
Thinking they are better than every other generation - god's gift and all.
You can tell them a mile off. Friggin kids. :retzielikes:
Total rubbish!

The only computer we had at home when I was a kid was an Amstrad 286 my aunt gave us out of pity

I didn't own a mobile phone til I'd moved out of home at 17, which was in 2002......I BET you had a mobile phone before 2002

Good post though, dad joke ftw
aroes

Post by aroes »

ghetto kitty wrote:yeah but Aroes is from Dandy.

that kind of makes sense then right?

:awaitsbeatdownfromaroes:

<3 you! hehehe
lol
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

aroes wrote:awaits ban

THE BANS
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.