THE HIPSTER BASHING THREAD

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
Lephrenic

Re: THE HIPSTER BASHING THREAD

Post by Lephrenic »

witty_pseudonym wrote:live and let live imo.
too much energy wasted on hipsters.
last year it was emos, next year it'll be some other fad.
meh.
:scr1pt:

One day we will learn to judge people by their personality.
Charlie73
Location: Somewhere between South @ North.... Melbourne that is

Post by Charlie73 »

Lephrenic wrote:
witty_pseudonym wrote:live and let live imo.
too much energy wasted on hipsters.
last year it was emos, next year it'll be some other fad.
meh.

One day we will learn to judge people by their personality.
You mean like the way they judge me by my personality when they move in and take over an inner suburb i have lived in for years prior to them knowing it existed, and look me up and down and snigger at the un-coolness of my threads, that i threw on to walk around the street to get my Sat am wake up coffee... You mean like that?? Oh OK... :wink:
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

i think Heggsy means all people Charlie Charlie. and i agree, but man its hard not to judge. people are just sooooo stupid sometimes. like slack jawed yokels, i mean come on! i know they ain't hurtin anyone, but they kind of are. cos they vote!
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

Charlie73 wrote:You mean like the way they judge me by my personality when they move in and take over an inner suburb i have lived in for years prior to them knowing it existed, and look me up and down and snigger at the un-coolness of my threads, that i threw on to walk around the street to get my Sat am wake up coffee... You mean like that?? Oh OK... :wink:
I have never got that vibe from hipsters - maybe because I am too busy laughing at them to notice any haughtiness of theirs. I'm in brunswick pretty much 24/7, so I am surrounded by the clowns and I have never noticed a particularly "cooler-than-thou" attitde. Do they really snigger at people in normal clothes?

No arguing their fashion sense sucks and the moustache thing is just plain wrong, but it's better than being surrounded by bogans, rednecks, aspirationals or yuppies, IMO.
The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

when we were hipster age, we wore some funny shit too. hypercolour t shirts anyone? fluffy booofy hair anyone? shoulder pads anyone? brown woollen skivvies anyone? I know you all get photos like that.

fad's a fad.

at least each generation has some new fashion (they think) I would hate to live in a world where everyone grows up the same and wears beige.

HATE for normality! HATE!!!!

and on the subject of neck tattooes, i paid for ink for my ex and would not let him get his neck done (he was 24 at the time)
as soon as we broke up, he went and got some crap tribal shit on there and some nice jail swallows.
now, every time I see him, he is wearing a scarf. :lol: (and yes, i tell him 'nice scarf heehee")

I have seen some nice ones, but on the whole i think the ability to cover tattooes in this society is still a good thing. As much as we say we are over being sexist, and judgemental about ink, let me tell you, this society is NOT. Only sub cultures are tbh.
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

It's not just gen y that are hipsters. Half the hipsters gettin round are your gen too bo!
...................................................................................................................................................
no more epilepsy raptor jesus
Charlie73

Post by Charlie73 »

@ Liz - yeah i am jaded bout it all, cause i keep having to move! I know deal with it, they aren't hurting anyone - well my bank balance cause prices of everything goes up... But as you say can be hard sometimes to deal with it, but i need to be the bigger person....

Bo - do young peeps that get swallows know the meaning you think? Also most of the hipsters that give me tude are my age lady - part of why it jacks me off so much, they should know better!

@ quiet roar - yeah got tude galore in the end esp on Errol St, took the time to exchange a few choice words on the odd occasion - usually on those mornings when i was particularly hanging..LOL
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

i honestly don't get the need to move part because of hipsters? you moved from North Melbs cos your house was in terrible condition, and now where you are rocks. i live in North Melbs and don't even notice them, but i reckon the junkies and crazies stand out more for me around there.
click here fo fotos
Charlie73

Post by Charlie73 »

The house was fine, small and pokey but fine. Well bathroom was meh. The agents didn't do anything, but kept jacking up the price, cause they new they eventually price us out and get the younger ones happy to pay through the nose cause it is the new 'place to live' and i got sick of the attitude i faced by the set that moved in, funny cause i found that over our time there we noticed way less junkies and crazies in the area, then when we moved in... Way less....

I just figure if i steer clear of places like toorak etc cause i know i will get those looks fine, if i move into Toorak and am clearly scruffing the place up, then i would expect to get looks and coments like that, but don't then move into what were poorer, rougher neighbourhoods then give those looks amd attitude to those already living there! Stay in Toorak if you going to be like that...
almax

Post by almax »

aroes wrote:I see what you mean

I was focusing more on the fact that's it's on your neck and can never be hidden. Ever. Regardless of whether it's good or not. I don't think the hipster youth of Melbourne have factored this into their decision to get inked

Anyway, happy days
They can be hidden at Andys skivvy party.

Maybe the skivvy is about to see a corporate comeback!
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

andy - i am 30 and most of my friends are older. tbh hipsters to me are in the age bracket of 18-25 really.

charlie - i dont think they know the significance mostly, but he does! he has loads of jail tatts and nope, never been to jail. Fail!
mrj

Post by mrj »

No no, there are plenty of hipsters 30 or older. I see plenty behind the counter at cafes.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

well they aint my friends :lol:
mrj

Post by mrj »

nor mine. Justin Beiber isn't my friend either, but that doesn't mean she doesn't exist (unfortunately).
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

Is anyone else laughing at the hypocrisy of many of the posts in this thread?
I like to laugh at hipsters and emos and anything that is different to me as much as the next wigger. But talking about them being judgemental and people staying in certain areas because of the way they look and the subculture they choose? Who is judging who exactly?
It was funny when it was light hearted. But actual hate and judgemental outlook is just sad.
mrj

Post by mrj »

yeah, you stereotypers are all the same!!
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

You should be a writer for the Simpsons.
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

hipster is a very non-scientific term for a type of person we can all agree on.

its the end of racism as we know it, and brings in a new era of visual fascism

I'm all for it personally. If you look like a cunt on purpose, well then you deserve whats coming to ya tbh.
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
mrj

Post by mrj »

hahahahahahahahahaha

agreed.

ad Dboy - that will always be the dream
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

youthful_implants wrote:a new era of visual fascism
:retzielikes:
deviant

Post by deviant »

Lizkins wrote:i honestly don't get the need to move part because of hipsters? you moved from North Melbs cos your house was in terrible condition, and now where you are rocks. i live in North Melbs and don't even notice them, but i reckon the junkies and crazies stand out more for me around there.

There's heaps of drunks and junkies etc, even they aren't reallya problem, more of a spectacle.

however,

North Melb is RAD

I go to cafes every weekend around here... lots of "hipster" type cafes too... the majority of the patrons are normal looking (I guess :? )
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

youthful_implants wrote:If you look like a cunt on purpose, well then you deserve whats coming to ya tbh.
haha best!
...................................................................................................................................................
no more epilepsy raptor jesus
Kaiproject

Post by Kaiproject »

youthful_implants wrote: I'm all for it personally. If you look like a cunt on purpose, well then you deserve whats coming to ya tbh.
qft
:lol:
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

mrj wrote:No no, there are plenty of hipsters 30 or older
believe
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

youthful_implants wrote:hipster is a very non-scientific term for a type of person we can all agree on.

I'm all for it personally. If you look like a cunt on purpose, well then you deserve whats coming to ya tbh.
normal human social behaviour tbh

what i find funny about it is that advertisers are all over hipsters atm - desperate for studies and "insights" into the trend
youthful_implants

system wrote:
youthful_implants wrote:hipster is a very non-scientific term for a type of person we can all agree on.

normal human social behaviour tbh

what i find funny about it is that advertisers are all over hipsters atm - desperate for studies and "insights" into the trend
indeed. very telling that I sent a link to that website to everyone in my office 2 hours ago and not one person has responded.

bit too close to the bone maybe for some? :smt005
Strontium Music

system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

it would seem so

visual puns abound as a result just near my hood though; surry hills is the epicentre of hipsters in australia fo riz

bless them for my daily chuckles
gnat

Post by gnat »

man it's a popular look that's for sure. my issue is how girly the guys are.

poncy genre. needs more Y chromo imo
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
almax

Post by almax »

hipster doofus

1. Someone who has taken being hip and unique to an extreme and therefore worn the "cool" out of the hip. 2. What Jerry called Kramer on the show Seinfeld.

2.Trendy, "cool guy" that, while certainly trendy, isn't all that cool. Easily distinguished by his semi-cool wardrobe worn badly after watching one too many episodes of "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy"

Example
deviant wrote: Image
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

gnat wrote:man it's a popular look that's for sure. my issue is how girly the guys are.

i'd argue that the "festival kid" is much closer to a gay look than the hipster; pretty much a carbon copy of the "riviera" look. hipsters generally look like they're celibate, which the ultra skinny pants may assist with.

totes hetro
gnat

Post by gnat »

yuck. hope they got a group discount on their shoes
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

agree gnat.

I dont find men sexy who have tighter jeans than me or longer hair.

and rolled up jeans with plimsolls are the most unmanly attire ever.
Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

It's far too subjective. According to who you ask, hipsters are either indie rock kids in op shop clothes or maybe young professionals in savvy new apartments. Or maybe minimal techno pundits that shop at Politix. Or anyone who rides fixies. Honestly. Could the people that get lumped in together under the hipster category be any more different?
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

system wrote:
gnat wrote:man it's a popular look that's for sure. my issue is how girly the guys are.

i'd argue that the "festival kid" is much closer to a gay look than the hipster; pretty much a carbon copy of the "riviera" look. hipsters generally look like they're celibate, which the ultra skinny pants may assist with.

totes hetro
agree - said outfit is rife in Shedknee.

i think they wear them because they never learnt how to tie there shoe laces.
youthful_implants

Lephrenic wrote:It's far too subjective. According to who you ask, hipsters are either indie rock kids in op shop clothes or maybe young professionals in savvy new apartments. Or maybe minimal techno pundits that shop at Politix. Or anyone who rides fixies. Honestly. Could the people that get lumped in together under the hipster category be any more different?
Hipster sympathiser! oust!
Strontium Music

same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

Amick

Post by Amick »

lol @ the guy in the black singlet wearing a murse (man purse)

my friend wears a D&G one. wrongtown.
Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

Most of us on here, myself included, would probably get called hipsters by people who don't know us. And everyone thinks they're not a hipster.
youthful_implants

that's fucking gold!! :lol:

love this:
As unsavoury as this comment is, I dismiss it and board the bus, taking care to sit across the aisle from an attractive young lady in a fashionable black dress. I make eye contact with her – nothing seedy, just a look. But she looks away immediately, as if frightened by my appearance. This happens with every woman I look at on the bus, confirming my long-held suspicion that women are actually less likely to engage with men who wear extremely fashionable clothes, because a) they believe them to be gay; b) they believe them to be pretentious tosspots; or c) they believe them to be gay pretentious tosspots.
Strontium Music

Hatsudai

Post by Hatsudai »

wear what makes you feel comfortable

end of thread
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

deviant wrote:
Lizkins wrote:i honestly don't get the need to move part because of hipsters? you moved from North Melbs cos your house was in terrible condition, and now where you are rocks. i live in North Melbs and don't even notice them, but i reckon the junkies and crazies stand out more for me around there.

There's heaps of drunks and junkies etc, even they aren't reallya problem, more of a spectacle.

however,

North Melb is RAD

I go to cafes every weekend around here... lots of "hipster" type cafes too... the majority of the patrons are normal looking (I guess :? )
agree and agree

honestly i really canna say i have noticed the hipsters at all

OMG maybe i am being less judgemental :shock:
click here fo fotos
youthful_implants

Hatsudai wrote:wear what makes you feel comfortable

end of thread
fashion would be pretty boring if that was true.

we'd all be in trakkie daks!
Strontium Music

ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

snuggies tbh.
youthful_implants

if your mantra was "wear what makes you look like a complete tool and become the object of much ridicule" you'd totes be a hipster
Strontium Music

Hatsudai

Post by Hatsudai »

youthful_implants wrote:

end of thread

Actually I wouldn't feel very comfortable walking around in tracky dacks, I would feel pretty underdressed to be honest.

I don't mean physically comfortable, but clothes that you are comfortable representing you, perhaps i should simplify:

wear what you like

end of thread
youthful_implants

Hatsudai wrote:
youthful_implants wrote:

end of thread

Actually I wouldn't feel very comfortable walking around in tracky dacks, I would feel pretty underdressed to be honest.

I don't mean physically comfortable, but clothes that you are comfortable representing you, perhaps i should simplify:

wear what you like

end of thread
its not end of thread though. you can wear what you like, and I can not like what you wear. the latter being what this thread is really about. :roll:
Strontium Music

mrj

Post by mrj »

again agreed (shit I hope this isn't becoming a habit), you can't just say 'end thread', the thread should resolve itself of it's own volition (or when it gets locked).
Hatsudai

Post by Hatsudai »

yer sorry just an expression to hint at what I am saying is ultimately right..

...but isn't!

Dunno about this whole "hipster" thing really, they don't harm anyone really do they?
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

suspicious lack of social hatred displayed

:poke:
Hatsudai

Post by Hatsudai »

system wrote:suspicious lack of social hatred displayed

:poke:
probably not being immersed in said hipsters helps my understanding of their cause???