quality food...

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
same o
peteybear™

Re: quality food...

Post by same o »

gnat wrote: the grand.
i got fired from there during my apprenticeship.
deviant

Post by deviant »

stoned at work?
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

LOL...

not at the grand.
gnat

Post by gnat »

apophenian wrote:Really? I thought it had a bit of cheese etc, but had an interesting variety of flavours - eg the blue trout and pumpkin burrito.
had some chicken enchilada with goat cheese. was burnt and tasted rubbish- like it has been made days ago and reheated 12 times. the sangria was good but all 4 of us said we wouldn't go back

there's too many other places/ too much competition for a restaurant in melb to have an 'off' night
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

just went and tried Ramen-ya (Pretty creative name, Ramen shop) at GPO next to Kenzan.

MAAAAAAD Ramen. Mad gyoza.

Will be going again for lunchies. in a word, MAD.
Friday

Post by Friday »

Super proud of the leaps and bounds that Colonel Tan's has made in the eight short months since opening!

This weekend check out our latest review coming out in The Age Melbourne Magazine. Woot!

Or read the three other great reviews to date: The Age Epicure, Melbourne Weekly and Cheap Eats at http://www.coloneltans.com.au

Melb Beats people let me know if you're coming down ;)
deviant

Post by deviant »

gutted I couldn't come last night.... wanna come down every Thursday now
Fents

Post by Fents »

Friday wrote:Super proud of the leaps and bounds that Colonel Tan's has made in the eight short months since opening!

This weekend check out our latest review coming out in The Age Melbourne Magazine. Woot!

Or read the three other great reviews to date: The Age Epicure, Melbourne Weekly and Cheap Eats at http://www.coloneltans.com.au

Melb Beats people let me know if you're coming down ;)
thats a pretty sexy beer menu. just missing one imo!
Friday

Post by Friday »

dan you gotta get down... no more excuses.

get us a sample fents! ;) who is wholesaling it? we have it in a cookie i believe....
Fents

Post by Fents »

you do indeed have it at cookie, i deliverd 2 cases to them last night. we wholesale it....we dont have a distributor, we do everything ourselves. shoot me your work address and i'll send a six pack in for you guys to try.
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

Friday wrote:Melb Beats people let me know if you're coming down ;)
Open one in brunswick and we'll be there every week!
The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well
gnat

Post by gnat »

3 bags full does teh mad brekky and not a bad coffee. recommend

anyone know of a teeny little japanese restaurant towards the top end of either little collins or little bourke? i saw it one night and can't remember its name.. looked really cute and was packed as
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
Fents

Post by Fents »

where to take the wife for our 2nd wedding annivesary tonight? think she wants duck so Da Hu is on the cards but if anyone has any better suggestions...
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Fents wrote:where to take the wife for our 2nd wedding annivesary tonight? think she wants duck so Da Hu is on the cards but if anyone has any better suggestions...
Congrats mate. Has it been that long.

Was watching a documentary on the weekend about fishermen in the arctic circle, watching them pop put the seals eyes and eat them brought back some disturbing memories.
gnat

Post by gnat »

Fents wrote:where to take the wife for our 2nd wedding annivesary tonight? think she wants duck so Da Hu is on the cards but if anyone has any better suggestions...
gingerboy or longgrain fents. or quinn also does teh mad duck at bistrot d'orsay. intimate and lovely!
mecka

Post by mecka »

The Sporting Club Hotel in Brunswick is fucking awesome. $50 for five relatively large tapas dishes. Cod croquettes, calamari, bravas, chorizo.... Good beer from what huge and kronz say.
gnat

Post by gnat »

orLy???

i walk past every day and wonder about this joint... there's never anyone in there!

the menu does look pretty good outside though..
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

definitely a favourite at the moment.
generous serves for bugger all.
ranga beer is also total win.

the place is pretty massive, so the peoples may be lurking. ;)
gnat

Post by gnat »

ah ok.. will check this week!
mecka

Post by mecka »

Twas pretty busy sat night but theyve only been open since mid feb. Spread the word. Also, all you can eat paella tuesday nights.
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

mecka wrote:Twas pretty busy sat night but theyve only been open since mid feb. Spread the word. Also, all you can eat paella tuesday nights.

MMM. I'm over in brunny for next few weeks or so.
Another house sitting gig.
Is it the pub down past the KMart carpark?
If so, one of my mates did the refurb and also invovled in sticking good beers to them.
kronz
Location: so a family walks into a talent agent and the talent agent says "what's your act"?

Post by kronz »

mecka wrote:The Sporting Club Hotel in Brunswick is fucking awesome. $50 for five relatively large tapas dishes. Cod croquettes, calamari, bravas, chorizo.... Good beer from what huge and kronz say.
:retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes:
GO CATS! GO CATS!
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

five easy steps to best breakfast evar:
* toast
* olive oil
* rub garlic over the toast (not too much unless you want fiyah breath)
* sliced tomato
* a little bit of pepper

nom nom nom
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
gnat

Post by gnat »

got the best tomatoes i've ever tasted in mansfield on the weekend- little ruby gems of goodness- totes organic and mega tasty

i'm making teh killer panzanella tonight. the simple tings are indeed often the best foo
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

yeah, i need to drag my arse down to the market tomorrow ... haven't been in a while, so have milkbar tomatoes lol. oh well, moar garlic to make up for the lack of taste.

agreed on the simple things ... get good ingredients and kapow, you don't need much at all.
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
nic

Post by nic »

gnat wrote:got the best tomatoes i've ever tasted in mansfield on the weekend- little ruby gems of goodness- totes organic and mega tasty

i'm making teh killer panzanella tonight. the simple tings are indeed often the best foo

:retzielikes:
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

St Judes Winecellar?

Anyone been?
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

Yep, real good - they even brought out the token vegan waiter to help my girlfriend get a good meal.
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

C.I.A. wrote:St Judes Winecellar?

Anyone been?
Supposed to be swet as. They own that other ditzy upstairs place in Smith St.
I should know more detaisl causemymate works there but he obviously don't talk shop much.

lol @ token vegan waiter
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

That's how he described himself :)
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

apophenian wrote:That's how he described himself :)
What did he recommend?
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

I can't actually remember, but I think they actually made my girlfriend a special menu
deviant

Post by deviant »

apophenian wrote:I can't actually remember, but I think they actually made my fiance a special menu
fixed ;)
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

haha true dat!
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

Apparently it was a really good quinoa salad for the main.
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

Thanks guys!!!

Have heard from a vego friend that went there that they crafted meals just for her too.

:retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes:

Will make booking tomorrow 8)
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
Charlie73
Location: Somewhere between South @ North.... Melbourne that is

Post by Charlie73 »

OK drinks at Brunnie Green are great..

But i have never eaten there, back again for Friday Session and thought of eating there this time...

Reports?
gnat

Post by gnat »

gone downhill i reckon. used to be awesome a couple of years ago but not so much nowadays..

would prob hit that joint witty and oli are on about instead- sporting club
Charlie73

Post by Charlie73 »

ah weely! Boooo

ah okies, sporting club??? will scroll back and get addy....

Want to get into Mammasitta's but they boy wants to stay local..... mmm real taco's.... Now that is a cracker of a menu
witty_pseudonym

the green do pretty good food imo - sausage rools are nom and my housie got a pie that looked awesome.

the union has mad food as well - steak sanga is dope. (same owners as the standard in fitzroy, so it's awesome pub grub and quite reasonable)

and yes - will keep raving about teh sporting club. cheap and generous tapas are win with the ranga beer. nommmmmmmmmmm.

ah brunswick. how i love thee.
Charlie73

Post by Charlie73 »

hmm OK

noice, might try Sporting some Spanish styles could be the go, just last Friday i was - well getting pissed and the food was smelling pretty good at Brunnie Green, but wasnt sure if that be the jugs of beer i was drinking...
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

gnat wrote:gone downhill i reckon. used to be awesome a couple of years ago but not so much nowadays..
Agree gnat. Changed owners and they scaled down the menu - don't really eat there anymore.

For mine, Edinburgh Castle is the pick of Brunswick pubs, as far as quality food is concerned. Union is also good but Edinburgh is better, IMO. Though I haven't tried the Sporting Club, yet.
The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well
Charlie73

Post by Charlie73 »

quiet roar wrote:
gnat wrote:gone downhill i reckon. used to be awesome a couple of years ago but not so much nowadays..
Agree gnat. Changed owners and they scaled down the menu - don't really eat there anymore.

For mine, Edinburgh Castle is the pick of Brunswick pubs, as far as quality food is concerned. Union is also good but Edinburgh is better, IMO. Though I haven't tried the Sporting Club, yet.
yeah we not up that emd till we on our way home....
witty_pseudonym

have been wanting to try the edinburgh, but it is that little bit further. a bit over walking distance from my place, hence not getting there yet.
Charlie73

Post by Charlie73 »

witty_pseudonym wrote:have been wanting to try the edinburgh, but it is that little bit further. a bit over walking distance from my place, hence not getting there yet.
it is good food babe, but not out of this world good or anything, but you get good tastes and good bang for your buck...
gnat

Post by gnat »

we're going to check teh sporting club tomorrow night. will let you know. menu looks pretty good..

just booked supermaxi also. great reviews, ex ladro chef, appalling name
Charlie73

Post by Charlie73 »

we will be at Brunnie Green babe, for a few beers, pop in, or i will pop down thre for hello's
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Charlie73 wrote:
quiet roar wrote:

yeah we not up that emd till we on our way home....
Hows the Retreat these days?
I got sick of going cause the Vegan Pasta whilst yummy was a bit over priced.
But that garden bar is awesome.
Charlie73

Post by Charlie73 »

yeah last time was still awesome....

I always end up having a cracker at Retreat... come home pissed but always giggles.....

Food have not eaten there for sometime however, although reports are still got the goods...

MMMM Beer Garden, it is a great place to loose a few hours