Animals

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
Sociopathic

Animals

Post by Sociopathic »

So I've never seen a thread on this before. If there is one please DON'T KILL ME FOR STARTING A NEW ONE.

We just got a puppy, tiny little jack russell cross staffy (don't ask I dunno how they did it either)

Just wondering if anyone has any tips and hints on things like toilet training, teaching him to be ok with staying outside etc etc.

He's pretty good with the whole staying home by himself. He gets run of the dining/kitchen. So far has not destroyed too much. He's not too bad with the going to the toilet thing when we're home but that's because the minute he waked from a nap he's taken outside straight away. Tried putting him outside today while I moped and vaccumed the kitchen/dining room (yes vacuumed I have issues with brooms and will vacuume everything I can) and during that time he just cried and cried and cried and cried.

I wanna be able to start slowly teaching him to stay outside so during the day he can stay outside (obviously when it warms up etc etc)

Also being a puppy I know he's gonna start chewing on EVERYTHING he already has half a dozen toys the lamb is missing an ear and it's eyes and caterpillar is missing it's nose but I wann amake sure he doesn't start trying to bite people.

HALP!

I now remember why I don't have kids....urgh.
The fridge is angry, the cheese told me so.

Watch out for the penguins, they are comming
mecka

Re: Animals

Post by mecka »

PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN

(only because I'm a dog person and puppies are <3)
deviant

Post by deviant »

PUPPIES!!
Sociopathic

Post by Sociopathic »

:D
The fridge is angry, the cheese told me so.

Watch out for the penguins, they are comming
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

holy shit staffy x jack russel! looks like a fucking baby hyena
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
mecka

Post by mecka »

That is fucking adorable.
almax

Post by almax »

so cute!

Im sure you could google some training tips but AFAIK puppies need tough love, you just have to ignore the crying and he will learn that no matter how much he cries, you wont answer him and he will stop.

also there is a pets thread somewhere
aroes

Post by aroes »

hahaha a mate of mine had a jack russell staffy cross

by the time she was fully grown she looked just like a jack russell apart from that characteristic 'box' head that staffies are known for

she had quite a mean streak. come to think of it, total fucking weird unit of a dog

good luck with yours :angel13:
quick

Post by quick »

To toilet train, you cover the floor in say, the bathroom or laundry, in newspaper, then when they go, leave one of the semi-soiled pieces but change the rest... put that piece under another and in corner of room... every time he goes, he should go on that same spot... then u reduce newspaper to just the corner of room, then move that soiled piece outside and then after a few weeks he will just go in the same area outside... when u take them out at night, say a word repeatedly, like every 10secs, and reward them when they go, then they will associate that word with the instruction to piss.

Almax is right about the tough love, only way to get them used to being outside. To get them to sit, stay etc you only use one word and say nothing else, it will confuse them. And reward when they do it. You will need to force it on them at first, like pushing their bum down and say 'SIT' to make them sit and then reward them, after time, they will associate the command to the action.

If they do something wrong, only way to fix this is by catching them in the act and yelling at them, if they have finished the act, yelling will do nothing but make them confused. Always use short, sharp, clear commands so they can easily recognise... and watch some 'dog whisperer'
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
mecka

Post by mecka »

Its how Quick was trained :teefnilly:
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

OMG!!! That is just awwwwww. :smt007

Im sure weve got Jack Russell X Cattle dogs. Awesome.

Socio, weve recently gotten 2 of the little devils and I really REALLY strongly suggest puppy school. You dont learn how to make a super dog, but you get good tips, you can ask questions specific to your dog yada yada. We found that to just be so beneficial for both dogs and people.

Dont give in at the beginning, or your fucked forever. Like Al said, if you dont want them to sleep with you, you have to ignore the crying, you have to. the first night with our little doggy it actually made me cry having to ignore his sooking. But it only last maybe 3 nights and now there perfectly happy in the kitchen and think their lives are just the best when we do let em onto the bed.

Re the toilet training, I remember puppy school saying you should take em out every hour, cos they cant hold it for very long. Mine took a month I think to get it down perfect, and that over 2 houses as well cos we moved. So it doesnt take too long. Some people will rub the dogs face in it if tjhey miss the paper or something, but Im not down with that one. So we didnt do that, just had newspaper down.

When you clean the area Socio, DONT use Amonia based products. Cos we has Amonia in it, and they keep going back to the same places theyeve pissed before, you clean the area with Amonia and there right back there to piss again. So use Earth cleaner or something.

Get yourself to puppy school in the first instance and you'll be totally right from there. :)

And sign up on websites, you get free stuff and they email you tips every week, its great. One of them came wiht a pack that had - Happiness is a Puppy - on the front. Too true, puppies are just the best EVER. :smt003
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

Oh, and apparently if you wait longer than about 5 seconds to either reward or not reward, youve missed the moment. Its gotta be done within the 5 seconds or they cant marry up the reward and the behaviour.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

WOW fricken cute as puppy

pet thread

http://forum.melbournebeats.com/viewtop ... t+dog+bird
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
aroes

Post by aroes »

btw just so you know a jack russell staffy cross is what's known in dog expert circles as a "stack russell"
nic

Post by nic »

aroes

Post by aroes »

you're a repost
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

read Sammys post!! winner :) exactly what I would have said.

Best tip ever is the non amonia based products. We use eucalyptus oil.. works mad.

and we failed (well Kelly did :P I TRIED!!!) on the sleeping on the bed thing.. She's just too cute to say no to !!
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

Guys, here is a link for the RSPCA's puppy factory shut down website.

If you dont agree with them, takes 10 seconds to complete it.

http://www.closepuppyfactories.org/hibd.html