GetUps pro-choice petition

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
FoundationStepper

GetUps pro-choice petition

Post by FoundationStepper »

I'm still signed up to Getup but am well sick of them generally, don't give money but every now and then they still seem to be on point. This petition responds to the current court case in QLD where a couple are facing jail for taking RU486.

Might be a bit bull and I'm not sure the point of a melbourner signing a petition to QLD premier but no harm I guess. Its one of the few cases where signing something online kind of makes sense as the prolifers are doign the same. as follows:

It's hard to believe this is happening in Australia. On Tuesday a young couple from Cairns will go on criminal trial for attempting to have an abortion.

Teagan was just 19 years old when she was charged under archaic 111 year old laws that classify abortion as a criminal 'offence against morality'. If found guilty, she faces up to 7 years imprisonment.

How can this happen in Australia? Because in Queensland, and in other states, abortion is still illegal in the criminal code. And despite the fact that 90% of Australians believe early-term abortions should be legal, an extreme minority has our politicians scared into inaction.

An anti-choice organisation has organised a petition in defence of these archaic laws, with over 6,000 signatures. The opposing petition, calling for the laws to be scrapped, has less then 3,000. Let's fix that right now, so that no politician has an excuse for inaction:

http://www.getup.org.au/campaign/my_choice_is_no_crime

As a result of this case, public hospitals in Queensland have started refusing abortions - even to women whose pregnancy is due to sexual assault.

Doctors fear criminal prosecution and up to 14 years imprisonment for providing advice and treatment, leaving young couples in impossible situations.

How on earth could this happen in Australia? The Queensland Parliament has failed to act, because MPs have been flooded with phone calls and emails in support of these archaic laws.

Some extreme anti-choice activists have even thrown flaming molotov cocktails at Teagan and Sergie's house. We can't stand for this in Australia.

Please add your name to the national petition for choice today, and forward it to friends and family:

http://www.getup.org.au/campaign/my_choice_is_no_crime

Queensland Premier, Anna Bligh, said she would support a bill to repeal the laws - but won't introduce one herself. She says there isn't enough support - and her colleagues in Parliament have been silent so far.

We can't let politicians hide behind a thin facade of opposition put up by extreme anti-choice activists. As a national movement of 380,000 strong, let's remove their excuse today with a huge national petition to repeal these archaic laws. Please add your name and forward this to friends before the petition is printed in huge newspaper ads later week.

Thank you for being part of this,
The Getup Team
almax

Re: GetUps pro-choice petition

Post by almax »

FoundationStepper wrote: On Tuesday a young couple from Cairns will go on criminal trial for attempting to have an abortion.
ok so she was attempting, i guess this means it wasnt successful?
jeez imagine if you were that kid and found out on your 18th birthday that the reason why mum wasnt around till your 7th birthday was she tried to abort you.

signed
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

its outrageous.

considering that the green party after the election were calling for more debate on Euthanasia it seems there are bigger, older issues to solve first!
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
FRAKSHA...

Post by FRAKSHA... »

WOW! that is so fucked!

did anyone see the anti-abortion protestors on Saturday outside Parliament...you only had to look at the type of freaks that turn up at those things to make you cringe

and those weirdo's hanging around the clinic on Wellington Parade holding rosary beads and muttering under their breath :?

i'm happy for people to disagree with abortion, its their right too, but it generally seems to be absolute religious nutters! Religion has absolutely no place in laws or politics

signed
CoB

Post by CoB »

youthful_implants wrote:its outrageous.

considering that the green party after the election were calling for more debate on Euthanasia it seems there are bigger, older issues to solve first!
yup.
I saw on gruen transfer about those ads they are trying to put out.
but...
I didn't even realise it was still illegal to abortion here :/
wtf
o/ . . . \o . . . -o . o- . \o/ \o/
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

tis illegal in most states, technically, but not applied strictly.
CoB

Post by CoB »

hm hm hm
o/ . . . \o . . . -o . o- . \o/ \o/
Sociopathic

Post by Sociopathic »

Yeah it's illegal unless it is considered "medically nessisary" in all states, which has to be the most fucking annoying term in the world (well for me anyway).
It does technically have what they call item numbers which is how the government determines whether or not something would be covered under medicare. eg a nose job for looks doesn't but attach a few numbers and it's suddenly considered a rhinoplasty for some reason or other and therefore covered under Medicare.

It did however get a not guilty verdict but not after the prosecutor said "You are sitting in a court of law, not a court of morals,"

http://www.theage.com.au/national/abort ... 16kv0.html
Was very happy when I read this tough
The fridge is angry, the cheese told me so.

Watch out for the penguins, they are comming