Home Printer

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
DBoy

Home Printer

Post by DBoy »

Looking up printers for home. For a Mac - as apparently some are only PC compatible?!? Darkages :teef:

Prefer a scanner too. Like nice enough qaulity to be able to print invites etc - but no need for professional standard. But certianly don't want paper jam every other page or to pay $$$,$$$ for new cartrigdges.

Would investigate myself but I have you bunch of know it alls to start me off.
fooishbar

Re: Home Printer

Post by fooishbar »

i like hp still ... i got a wifi printer/scanner/copier for $99 from officeworks last year, boomtown.
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

just get one of those $100 lasers from officeworks and when it runs out of toner, piff it and buy a new one huhu.

stupid toners!

my bizz partner bought 2 hp all in ones from greys auctions for $5 for both of them. when printers are a 10th of the price ofthe toner/ink then shit just doesn't make sense.

on a serious note, if you want an all in one the canon pixma goes ok. wireless too. no idea what the ink usage or price is tho
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

the 'printerjam' is a good a'lround model, made by mistabishi I think

dadjokes
mecka

Post by mecka »

huge wrote:just get one of those $100 lasers from officeworks and when it runs out of toner, piff it and buy a new one huhu.

stupid toners!

my bizz partner bought 2 hp all in ones from greys auctions for $5 for both of them. when printers are a 10th of the price ofthe toner/ink then shit just doesn't make sense.

on a serious note, if you want an all in one the canon pixma goes ok. wireless too. no idea what the ink usage or price is tho
mecka

Post by mecka »

lol hugh those printers only come with a half full toner... cheaper to buy new toner not new printer.

Dboy... The pixmas are pretty good but inks are exy unless you buy third party. The other option is to go with a Continuous Inking System, which allows you to hook up tanks of ink as opposed to cartridges. Much, much cheaper to run that way.

As for models, look at the Canon MP560 or MP640. 640 does duplex printing and has better print quality overall. The new HPs go alright too. Check out the Photosmart Plus. Can be had for about $140 and is slightly cheaper to run than the Canons.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Go see mecka at officeworks!

:manontheinside:
kiss & tell

Post by kiss & tell »

I will actually need a new black ink toner when I get back home, hardly ever print colour
Sociopathic

Post by Sociopathic »

Me and my dad have always had cannon printers, never had any issues with them at all. Good pricing usually too. Tend to buy from office works just for pricing and I have issues with customer service from palces like hardley normal.
The fridge is angry, the cheese told me so.

Watch out for the penguins, they are comming
Sociopathic

Post by Sociopathic »

Ps. when I say me and my dad have always had them I get his hand me downs usually. He has a thing with upgrading regardless of whether he really needs to. He bought a brother printer/scanner/copier/fax and within a week went and bought a new cannon because he wasn't quite happy with the way a certain picture turned out when he printed it.
He also goes and does retail therapy at places like dicksmith because "he's bored" and has nothing better to waste money on so he has had quite a fair few of printers mainly by cannon and never a problem
The fridge is angry, the cheese told me so.

Watch out for the penguins, they are comming
mecka

Post by mecka »

Sociopathic wrote:Tend to buy from office works just for pricing and I have issues with customer service from palces like hardley normal.
Makes my heart warm a touch.

STEER CLEAR OF BROTHER INKJETS

They are utter balls, cost a fuckload to run and break down really, really quickly.

I like Canon, but as mentioned, they're real expensive to run (they are changing over their range at the moment - stay tuned for more updates). HP are a good balance between features and running cost, although they tend to have paper jams more than the other units (due to front feeding paper) and their customer service is fucking atrocious. Epson are also a good balance, but their units cost slightly more (Epson are also refreshing their range at the moment). Lexmark... forget about Lexmark printers. Same with Dell. I hate dealing with Dell.

Come December they're introducing a 20%/cost price staff discount for OW. If anybody needs anything, hit me up with a PM. Can't guarantee that I will always be able to get stuff but I can certainly try.

EDIT: http://www.rihac.com.au/ do CISS systems that can save you an arseload of money if you do alot of printing.
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

mecka wrote:
Come December they're introducing a 20%/cost price staff discount for OW. If anybody needs anything, hit me up with a PM. Can't guarantee that I will always be able to get stuff but I can certainly try.
:retzielikes:
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

i should add that i have never had a printer at home so maybe you shouldn't listen to me. huhu. all my experience is with $80k xerox machines huhu
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

Cheers peoples. Sounds like I lean towards Epson and Canon from Officeworks. Will let you know what I end up doing.
unsoundbwoy

Post by unsoundbwoy »

i got a canon pixma mp-640, officeworks $188, wireless on a mac no problems, print quality all good, can print onto CDs, still on the first inks so i dunno how efficient it is but, so far so good.
mecka

Post by mecka »

unsoundbwoy wrote:i got a canon pixma mp-640, officeworks $188, wireless on a mac no problems, print quality all good, can print onto CDs, still on the first inks so i dunno how efficient it is but, so far so good.
Mp640s are on the way out. Good printer though