The Wedding Thread

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
Direkt

The Wedding Thread

Post by Direkt »

Wow... a bit scary starting such a thread... but, I thought there's been a few people married around here - perhaps you can help with what to do / what not to do, contacts, suggestions etc... :D

Me and the missus have been engaged for a lengthy 5+ years, thought we might do the deed this coming September. We've booked the chapel and reception venue at the very ghetto named 'Inglewood Estate'

We're meeting with a celebrant on Saturday.

So, from what I can gather, to do list includes:
* finalise celebrant
* rings
* photographer
* cake
* dress and clothes
* transport / hire cars
* bridal party gifts
* entertainment for reception
* mad pingaz

We're going for a non-denominational, 60-head wedding with a limited budget.

Any help, particularly on celebrant, photographer and transport would be most appreciated.

:joy:
Fents

Re: The Wedding Thread

Post by Fents »

we looked at Inglewood but decided against it, nice chapel but just didnt have the vibes for us, plus i dont think they are an actual winery which we wanted. Plus we got a better deal out at Kellybrook (prob too far for you guys) and they fed us a full 3 course before we even purchased anything to see how good the food was, make sure you try and do that, unless its fingerfood in which case you cant really stuff up.

your list looks pretty spot on mate. have to choose your tune for your first dance too.

good luck mate you will enjoy it bigtime, second fav day in my life behind the new arrival.
mecka

Post by mecka »

Fents wrote:have to choose your tune for your first dance too.
so.... Konflict - Messiah?
Sociopathic

Post by Sociopathic »

Clothing wise if you're going to hire suits, get in ASAP sept - dec is buisest time of year for suit hire, the earlier you get in the more you can garuntee that suits will be made.

For dress, minumin 5months! People don't realise making a dress of that calibre takes TIME and then theres alterations, re pressings etc etc etc. and you want to make sure it's there on time you don't want to be leaving it to the last minute.
I used to work for a formal wear store that did suites bridal and bridesmaids Myle's girlfriend still does.

Honestly it sounds like a cop out but buy the magazines, ALL OF THEM!! flick through use them for idea's.

Place looks amazing though nice work on that :D
Photographer wise i'd honestly just browse wedding forums and look at photo's others couples have posted to see if theres something in there you like then run with that especially look at those who have had experience working in venues like your's no point looking at someone who has done multiple weddings doing photos in places like botanical gadens and out front of parliament and baracks when thats not your venue.

Rings is extremely personal I really don't think anyone can give advice on something like that to be honest as long as you are both happy.

Hire cars depends entirely on what kinda theme you are going with whether its modern vintage or in between I don't know you one bit so I dunno if you're a car enthusiast or not. assuming no though.If it's only a small intamate one alot of the time you can get away with a single car, the guys will already be there and only the girls need to rock up but at the same time depends on whether you want photos with/in the cars and whether people are actually even gonna SEE them. no point paying a bucket load for cars that no one is gonna see a bar of (eg beach wedding where you walk down to the beach no one see's the cars you could rock up in a sigma and no one would notice)

Celebrant again look at online forums find as much feedback as possible as there is plenty of horror stories around on them and meet with as many as you can until you Find one you feel comfortable being YOURSELF around not putting on some "OMG WE'RE SUCH A HAPPY BRIDE AND GROOM AND GIGGLY AND LIKE TOTALLY LIKE OMG" just actually relaxed comfortable around.

Sorry if that sounds scary not meaning to freak you you will be fine, it'll go smoother than you even think it will and you'll cry and laugh and see your partner in an entire new level of amazingly stunning than you ever thought was possible :D
The fridge is angry, the cheese told me so.

Watch out for the penguins, they are comming
Sociopathic

Post by Sociopathic »

PS. if you find somewhere to get mad pingaz from let me know and I'll hook you up with a discount on cufflinks
The fridge is angry, the cheese told me so.

Watch out for the penguins, they are comming
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Fents wrote:we looked at Inglewood but decided against it, nice chapel but just didnt have the vibes for us, plus i dont think they are an actual winery which we wanted. Plus we got a better deal out at Kellybrook (prob too far for you guys) and they fed us a full 3 course before we even purchased anything to see how good the food was, make sure you try and do that, unless its fingerfood in which case you cant really stuff up.

your list looks pretty spot on mate. have to choose your tune for your first dance too.

good luck mate you will enjoy it bigtime, second fav day in my life behind the new arrival.
Thanks mate. Inglewood is already booked and deposit payed. Our mutual mate Andrew Cahir had his wedding there and he raves about it.

Tunes etc., yep - we'll sort that, thankfully we don't need to book those in months in advance (or pay for them).

Cheers bloke.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Sociopathic wrote:Clothing wise if you're going to hire suits, get in ASAP sept - dec is buisest time of year for suit hire, the earlier you get in the more you can garuntee that suits will be made.

For dress, minumin 5months! People don't realise making a dress of that calibre takes TIME and then theres alterations, re pressings etc etc etc. and you want to make sure it's there on time you don't want to be leaving it to the last minute.
I used to work for a formal wear store that did suites bridal and bridesmaids Myle's girlfriend still does.

Honestly it sounds like a cop out but buy the magazines, ALL OF THEM!! flick through use them for idea's.

Place looks amazing though nice work on that :D
Photographer wise i'd honestly just browse wedding forums and look at photo's others couples have posted to see if theres something in there you like then run with that especially look at those who have had experience working in venues like your's no point looking at someone who has done multiple weddings doing photos in places like botanical gadens and out front of parliament and baracks when thats not your venue.

Rings is extremely personal I really don't think anyone can give advice on something like that to be honest as long as you are both happy.

Hire cars depends entirely on what kinda theme you are going with whether its modern vintage or in between I don't know you one bit so I dunno if you're a car enthusiast or not. assuming no though.If it's only a small intamate one alot of the time you can get away with a single car, the guys will already be there and only the girls need to rock up but at the same time depends on whether you want photos with/in the cars and whether people are actually even gonna SEE them. no point paying a bucket load for cars that no one is gonna see a bar of (eg beach wedding where you walk down to the beach no one see's the cars you could rock up in a sigma and no one would notice)

Celebrant again look at online forums find as much feedback as possible as there is plenty of horror stories around on them and meet with as many as you can until you Find one you feel comfortable being YOURSELF around not putting on some "OMG WE'RE SUCH A HAPPY BRIDE AND GROOM AND GIGGLY AND LIKE TOTALLY LIKE OMG" just actually relaxed comfortable around.

Sorry if that sounds scary not meaning to freak you you will be fine, it'll go smoother than you even think it will and you'll cry and laugh and see your partner in an entire new level of amazingly stunning than you ever thought was possible :D
Thanks for the sound advice. Guess we need to organise our clothing ASAP.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Sociopathic wrote:PS. if you find somewhere to get mad pingaz from let me know and I'll hook you up with a discount on cufflinks
I wish. I don't think they even exist today. No wonder the "youth of today" are such a glum, depressing lot.
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

Bridal dance? If you are going to do a waltz or something it takes time to practice, get confidence and resolve power plays on the dance floor

Used to teach wedding couples
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

I got someone who can help out with suits Spies dog.

Briggins menswear - they'll come to you.
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

We are using Bernard Morey - don't let the website put you off, he is a really nice guy who emanates calm and assurance:

http://www.weddingcelebrant.com.au/

We got our rings made at some place on Smith St - I can't quite remember the name - atelier? The lady there is really nice, and makes the rings on site.

Congrats and good luck!
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

FoundationStepper: no bridal waltz my man... more low key vibe I think.

Thanks Feigs!

And thanks apophenian.
almax

Post by almax »

Wow, great thread, but i too am a little concerned, but excited about the prospect of the future melbourne beats threads with titles such as 'grand children' & 'retirement' etc etc

Good to see someone else engaged so such a long time, im only recently engaged (6 months) but already we are getting the questions of when the wedding.
We dont plan on doing it for about 4 years, mainly due to other prioritys such as buying house etc.

What are peoples thoughts on location weddings in for example Thailand?
Would anyone be prepared to pay for flights etc
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

:lol: at new threads for adult stuff, so true.

i LOVE the idea of going OS for weddings, some of my really traditional friends recently went - fuck it, and went to thailand/bali, hired out a whole place for a small group of friends, had massive spread on the beach, then came back and had huge party for other friends who didnt make it.
another couple planning on doing the same later thus year. can cut the cost of wedding in half, even with flights, and also makes it more exciting/exotic and memorable i think.

what i dont get about weddings is spending 20k on them. FFS, you love each other, its about celebrating that and eating great food and getting drunk with your friends n family. No need to the ridiculous house deposit amounts to make a special day imho.
lilstormer

Post by lilstormer »

I have a wedding phobia... this thread just made me break out in hives :teefnilly:
Free to those that can afford it, very expensive to those that can't.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Yeah the o/s thang certainly was appealing for a number of reasons - but we opted local. Seems to be much easier to organise.
deviant

Post by deviant »

apophenian wrote:We are using Bernard Morey - don't let the website put you off, he is a really nice guy who emanates calm and assurance:

We got our rings made at some place on Smith St - I can't quite remember the name - atelier? The lady there is really nice, and makes the rings on site.

Congrats and good luck!
^^^ this khunt is getting married NEXT WEEK

wooot!
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Congrats mate!
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

I was very fortunate that my wife agreed that small was best. We had a engagement party for all our friends and fam but then did a small wedding with only 15 people. It was intimate, sacred and far exceeded all my expectations of what could be done for a wedding. I was terrified of a big wedding and all the bells and whistles.

With 15 people we were able to have a once in a life time meal catered for - degustation 5 course craziness with wines that I can only hope I get to enjoy again.

My bro just got married and did the full shabang. It was like a fairy tale - was amazing to be a part of. Hope you can make yours everything you want as well Direkt. Enjoy.

ps - if you are looking for a photographer I have one who is incredible, only does jobs for friends and friends of friends etc.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Thanks dboy. Def looking for a photographer. Do you have any of his/her work you can direct me to online?

PS: secured celebrant yesterday, very cool guy - very us.
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

This khunt is still well hungover from his bucks night...
gnat

Post by gnat »

we have three weddings to go to this year plus an engagement and that's just so far

so yeh, we seem to be growing up!
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
gnat

Post by gnat »

more practically: http://www.tessfollett.com/

this chick does mad pics. recommend
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

Oh Direkt... i feel much better about no action from 2 years. Your 5 gives me another 3!! haha

this is a great thread, good work. Might get me to get into gear.
J Gal

Post by J Gal »

Just started planning our wedding. Very low key, no church, lawn bowls, 50s themed. Want it to be a mad party not too formal. It's insane what some people spend on one day! I'd rather go on a dope holiday. I've set a very modest budget, trying to get friends involved to help out in anyway they can. Congrats to y'all getting hitched! And good luck!
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

Tina and I got married in London within 6 weeks of getting engaged. Was a small wedding with only 40 guests. It was great because there was no stress, we did everything exactly how we wanted and my immediate family, who had no involvement in the planning, found the whole day pretty relaxing.

The tradition Cambodian style wedding that we would have had in Melbourne would have been very different. My brother in laws wedding took place over 3 whole days, had a guest list of over 800 and was just mental. I'm pretty glad we didn't take that route.

Good luck with yours Direkt I think the most important thing is not to get overwhelmed with details and concentrate on what will make you happiest on the day because thats all that really matters.
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

apophenian wrote:We are using Bernard Morey - don't let the website put you off, he is a really nice guy who emanates calm and assurance:

Congrats and good luck!
We also used Bernard. He was pretty good. I felt he was super calm beforehand but on the day I didn't feel he was that calm personally. He wasn't anxious but we had a few minor delays and i think he was a bit rattled. He was helpful with vows and we edited/amended ours to be more 'personal' and he was good with that.

Direkt - we got a photographer and she was great. Clare was her name. We paid around $1500-2000 i think. http://www.claremetcalf.com.au/Weddings.html She was a trooper and was heavily pregnant too at the time so i was amazed she could put in 6+ hrs of pic taking. She has a blog too - http://claremetcalf.blogspot.com

We got our cake here - exxy but so good and a nice cake is important i think - http://www.letthemeatcake.com.au/

Entertainment - I didn't want a DJ or a band (I just don't generally like them at weddings as it turns into a cheese mix of music that gets tiring quickly) so we programmed 4 hrs of music we liked on itunes and played that via the system at Butleigh Wooton. It worked nicely and we got music we liked. And wedding DJs sting you bad considering the output.

Transport. Wifey got a car with her bridesmaids from the hotel to the ceremony (7 series BMW which was big enough for dress and x3 bridesmaids). Me and the lads got a cab and then after ceremony we got a limo which was good and fit everyone in (Plus photog in the front). We budgeted about $600 for all this.

Rings - we got ours from http://www.franco.com.au/ . Picked here as it was where we got the engagement ring. Great service.

Suits we got from Red something (can't remember) in Johnston St near that pub on the corner of Johnston and Nicholson. Pretty good and they do multiple fittings which is really good.

My advice is

- keep a budget and leave 10-15% on each line item for contingency
- go on honeymoon straight after. it's a great time post wedding and both of you will deserve 3-4 weeks to yourself
- pre plan as much as you can and aim to have everything sorted 3 months out
- you will need to ring many people to confirm rsvp's as loads of ppl don't send them back despite clear requests heh
- take time out on the day every hour or so to spend 5 mins with your wife just taking in the whole experience. The day flies and is just an amazing 12-18 hours. The only bad thing is you can never relive it so enjoy it and soak it in.
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

let the meat cake?
Scotrod

Post by Scotrod »

Start practicing how to say "yes dear, I'm on to it" while ducking and weaving. This will come in very handy closer to the wedding date. The odd commando roll wouldn't hurt either.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Thanks for the advice Ben, YI and Scotrod....
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

nic

Post by nic »

lots of royal parties in streets today lol
anything that gives you a free holiday is excellent, listenign to my boss whine about the cost to small business was good.

there is a dancehall party with speaker stacks and loads of chicken/weed smoke down at 'JerkCorner' lol
wanted to go take pics
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

pls do not pollute this thread with ghastly talk of the "royal wedding".

the whole coverage has been like fingernails on a chalkboard.
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Went to a Greek orthodox wedding yesterday. No idea what was going on.

Reception for 500 at the Park Hyatt afterwards was mint though. I got drunk.
quick

Post by quick »

wedding here was ace... cared not at all for it until day before... the brits love it, so i just got in on the full party vibe, street parties everywhere, drinkin booze where ever u wanted, everyone happy... i forgot about the wedding in no time!
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
elysium

Post by elysium »

home for my brother's wedding which was Friday before last and it was the most relaxed, low key affair - I loved it!

Married at the civil registry at Old Treasury, ducked across to treasury gardens for some happy snaps - all done by us and just happened that the afternoon sun hitting one of the glass buildings across the road reflected down into the park and lit the place magically - you couldn't have asked for better. Afternoon tea at the Windsor with the fam, Dinner at a restaurant on the bay and then the kids headed out to a bar afterwards.
I'm in a loop, I am the loop...