Advice on sharing houses / accomodation

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
Raider

Advice on sharing houses / accomodation

Post by Raider »

Hey guys,

I'm just wanting some insight into how those of you that DJ and mix at home have worked out living arrangements as far as sound and all of that?

Reason I'm asking is cause I Am going to have to be moving out of the house I'm currently in cause it's my nan's and she recently passed away, I was looking after her for a long time and it's a huge house so I could pretty much do what i want with no sound restrictions and she wouldn't notice...

Obviously I'm not expecting a share house to be like that but would like to at least be able to mix in my room and some level of volume lol.

Just after insights, stories, hiccups, ANYTHING!

Cheers, Louis
Why did the elephant get lost in the jungle?
CAUSE THE JUNGLE IS MASSIVE!

http://facebook.com/RaiderDNB
ghetto kitty

Re: Advice on sharing houses / accomodation

Post by ghetto kitty »

headphones are your friend.

that is all.
deviant

Post by deviant »

Depends on when you are mixing, at what volume, how often, and for how long really.
Raider

Post by Raider »

Can't really mix just with headphones... I work 9-5 so generally mix like 8-11 at night lol cause it's only time i'm home

I'm starting to think my only choice is going to be tiny room to live plus a studio somewhere, which kinda sucks but yeah.

Will keep lookin though!

huge
old boy

Post by huge »

you dont really have to mix at full volume tho do you?
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
deviant

Post by deviant »

one night a week would be ok... Keeping in mind your house buddies probably wont be home every night either. but 3 hours every night might be a bit much for your housies.
mrj

Post by mrj »

eat chips really loudly so they can't hear the music.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

what Kitty said. Unless you have soundproofing you cant be playing loud music at all times, your flat mates will hate you and it will drive them /your neighbours to distraction.
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
quick

Post by quick »

what dan said... 1 to 2 nights a week is ok... they wont always be home, take advantage when they are out and mix at half or even 3rd level volume... also, mix tunes they kinda like when they are cooking dinner or something, u know, good music to cook to is always win
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
Sociopathic

Post by Sociopathic »

Cooking music = win.

I'm with everyone else, kinda try and plan it around when they are not in and def don't have it up too loud. Definately try and find people who won't mind the music you're mixing either.
Ask questions when you go to meet people advertising share houses find out what music their into, if they're massive commercial house or RnB fan's they're not gonna be overly impressed with you constantly mixing DnB and visa versa you don't wanna always be listening to their music either.

I Don't mix but I pack some pretty decent hi-fi equipment and defintealy know how to hit play and I was taught from a young age music is made to be listened to loud.
I also don't possess any cleaning abilities if there is not music at a level where conversation requires slightly raised voices.

I just found it easiest to plan things around them being out or straight out asking "do you mind if" blah blah blah
The fridge is angry, the cheese told me so.

Watch out for the penguins, they are comming
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

remarkably mature level of conversation around this. all very considerate. I deal with noise issues for work and the amount of people who don't think of their neighours in these terms is incredible - I get the impression that there are many people who don't really think twice about whether they are disturbing others. do people think more carefeully about this for housemates than for neighbours I wonder?
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

i respect my housemates. i dont play loud music if they are sleeping even if its 2pm.

but seeing as my neighbours have been building their house for 2 years and counting and we have had jerry springer type moments out front due to radios blaring at 7am on weekends, and ongoing problems with every dodgy tradie they employ, we kind of crank the tunes as a FUCK YOU to them when we feel like it.

my housie was rinsing dnb the other evening and i went out there and told them to turn it up, his friend thought i said turn it down but once all was understood we all vibrated the walls a bit more for them next door :)
youthful_implants

FoundationStepper wrote:remarkably mature level of conversation around this. all very considerate. I deal with noise issues for work and the amount of people who don't think of their neighours in these terms is incredible - I get the impression that there are many people who don't really think twice about whether they are disturbing others. do people think more carefeully about this for housemates than for neighbours I wonder?
I told some kid playing RnB loudly on his phone on the train to turn it off at Oakleigh the other day. Felt good.
Strontium Music

ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

^^^ i HATE that.

what the fucking FUCK makes people think thats okay?
youthful_implants

ghetto kitty wrote:^^^ i HATE that.

its a teenage emo thing
Strontium Music

aroes

Post by aroes »

youthful_implants wrote:

its a teenage emo thing
jesus christ out my way it's fucking rife

i reckon 8 or 9 out of 10 train trips i'm annoyed shitless by some sub human dickbrain playing horrendous music on loudspeaker

what's even worse, these morons don't have a large enough attention span to listen to a song start to finish, so not only do you get music to kill yourself to, you also get 35sec snippets of each track or simply the same track rewound to the start every time the first chorus finishes

i know they're just kids but fuck me, have a little respect for people's personal space.......when i was their age there's no way i'd have cranked tunes on the train for fear of some large dude commandeering my boombox and throwing it out the window

lol sorry end hijack
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

get it on the trams sometimes, actually it happened this morning but i was daydreaming so much i thought the music was a part of the daydreaming til i snapped out of it and realised someone was playing music loudly.

one time this drunk couple replayed a song over and over and sang only to the chorus. When they got off the tram everyone groaned a sigh of relief
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

i love it when you get on ya soapbox aroes

:lol:

so true.
deviant

Post by deviant »

aroes wrote:
youthful_implants wrote:

its a teenage emo thing
jesus christ out my way it's fucking rife

i reckon 8 or 9 out of 10 train trips i'm annoyed shitless by some sub human dickbrain playing horrendous music on loudspeaker

what's even worse, these morons don't have a large enough attention span to listen to a song start to finish, so not only do you get music to kill yourself to, you also get 35sec snippets of each track or simply the same track rewound to the start every time the first chorus finishes

i know they're just kids but fuck me, have a little respect for people's personal space.......when i was their age there's no way i'd have cranked tunes on the train for fear of some large dude commandeering my boombox and throwing it out the window

lol sorry end hijack
move to Japan imo
aroes

Post by aroes »

deviant wrote: move to Japan imo
this is the plan
Raider

Post by Raider »

haha!

Guess I'm just going to have to accept the fact that the days of cranking music in my room so loud it rumbles my chest are numbered to 2 months lol.

Kinda feels like the end of living but what can ya do, I don't really function without rediculously loud music lol, I just kinda sit and stare...

aroes

Post by aroes »

tbh just try to keep it strictly leftfield/drumfunk coz imo at the first sign of jump up you'll be asked to leave
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

lpeake wrote:haha!

Guess I'm just going to have to accept the fact that the days of cranking music in my room so loud it rumbles my chest are numbered to 2 months lol.

Kinda feels like the end of living but what can ya do, I don't really function without rediculously loud music lol, I just kinda sit and stare...
probs a human rights issue
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
CoB

Post by CoB »

don't go around pissing in your housemate's rooms *nods*
o/ . . . \o . . . -o . o- . \o/ \o/
Sociopathic

Post by Sociopathic »

Haha the train thing made me laugh in perth.
WE have warnings in our trains saying not smoking no eatin no feet on seats give up special seats to those that need it.

in perth they have also put on these signs about listening to music only with headphones and also that kids on a 50cent student fare must stand for adults.

The headphones one made me giggle when I seen it
The fridge is angry, the cheese told me so.

Watch out for the penguins, they are comming
Raider

Post by Raider »

fooishbar wrote:
lpeake wrote:haha!

probs a human rights issue
lol