Wireless speakers

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
DBoy

Wireless speakers

Post by DBoy »

So, wires are pretty much 2010. I put my concerns about filling my house and the world with waves and think of the benifits of being able to put speakers up without having to run wires up behind curtains etc.

I saw some advertised in a in-flight mag recently and thought finally wireless speakers have made it and at reasonable prices. But I have now started looking and can't find any decent at the usual haunts...

Any recommendations? This is for living spaces - i'm not trying to create a club. Want qaulity sound, small speakers, and no wires.

Combined with http://forum.melbournebeats.com/viewtop ... =5&t=25022 - should be all good.
mrj

Re: Wireless speakers

Post by mrj »

I wonder if we will get 20 years down the track and be horrified at all the wirelessness we used to have. Like find out that it causes some terrible disease, or increases ones liklihood to wet their pants past the age of 60 or something. We'll all be sitting there cursing wireless technology whilst sitting in a pool of our own urine yanno.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

Pretty much gaurenteed. Electomagnetic sensativety is proven as real now right? The busier the fields around us get surely the more of this we are going to see.

Anyway - any tips of wireless speakers?
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

wireless means 'radio' plus power or battery connection right? i.e. only truely wireless if relying on battery power?
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

Ok- how about 'i would like speaker system with less wires"... smart arse.

Happy for the amp unit to run power supply - just want to have satallite speakers.
FoundationStepper

i'm not trying to make a point, merely checking that technology hasn't overtaken my understanding of the laws of physics.

i'm actually unsure what the appeal is in the wireless speakers so much - that is, if you need ro run ac to the speakers whats the big deal about saving on running speaker cable instead (which can be more flexible and discrete)

what's your actual need? small satelite speakers in a tucked away location that you don't want to have to run cable to?
FoundationStepper

i guess im thinking they make more sense when the media source is in another room or similar - but when in the same room you are really just choosing one type of wire over another aren't you?
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

I want to eliminate speaker cords. I am wanting surround sound but without wires running along and up the walls. I prefer to have my speakers (except sub) raised so my kid does not damage them. So just wondering if there is such a thing as speakers without wires to the amp. They do exsist - but just lack quality from what I can gather.
FoundationStepper

being an old hifi salesperson, i looked up a few of the mags i used to read but nothing seemed to stand out

putting wireless aside for a sec, what sort of budget and configuration would you be after? i.e. a full range sub and bookshelf sized sats? (more classic hi fi - proper mid range boxes supported by more bass) - or more the tiny cube sats with a mid/upper bass supporting sub? and five speaker surround setup of equal proportions? or more powerful fronts to doulbe as the the stereo speakers, with smaller sats for rears?
FoundationStepper

perhaps this artical is of interest?

http://www.practical-home-theater-guide ... stems.html

it seems there are packages for wireless rears moreso than for the fronts?
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

yeah usually you see the rear speaker being wireless although obvs still requiring a power connection.
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
Fents

Post by Fents »

i know LG make some, my old man had them but he got rid of them because one kept dropping signal effectivly making the sound mono

http://www.lg.com/au/tv-audio-video/hom ... /index.jsp
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Hey D, I've been looking into a home theater system myself for the past couple of weeks. Being that our lounge is tiled, I wanted wireless rear speakers too - but have been strongly advised NOT to bother, as the quality is sub-standard. Best for me (and maybe you) to buy a rug and hide the cables under it (or if you own your place or can be bothered, run the cables in up through the crawl space / wall cavity).
Kaiproject

Post by Kaiproject »

wireless rear system the way to go if you need wireless (i've been thinking about it for a while cos no easy way to hide wires in our lounge), but yeah quality definitely always gonna be questionable...
i think you can get pretty good wireless transmitters that you plug into your receiver, but not sure about decent rear speakers to pair with them... (you still needa just plug them into power i think but that's no problem)
if anyone has any suggestions that also be handy
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

^ pretty sure you can plug the transmitter into any speakers, if you have the separate wireless system that allows you to do so. But, I'm not going to bother with wireless after that I've heard. I'll just buy a rug and put the wires under that, no biggie.
liapakis

Post by liapakis »

FoundationStepper wrote:wireless means 'radio' plus power or battery connection right? i.e. only truely wireless if relying on battery power?
Yup, i think so