Mobile Phones

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
deviant

Mobile Phones

Post by deviant »

I am in the market for a mobile.....

Who here is 100% happy with their current phone? I have been more than unhappy with mine (I've had it almost two years). It's a sony-Ericsson t610, basically it blows goats. Hard to use and slow interface, buggy OS, doesn't last (call me and find out) :roll: . I'm sick of going on contracts and figure I'll just buy a phone. This one was on a contract and that's the only reason I have kept with it.

Does anyone know how to get insurance on a phone that you already own?

Anyway, the main reason I'm asking about phones is that it's hard to judge what's gunna be good from reading promo material (that's why I got mine). But this one is heaps worse than the Nokia 7250 I had for a year before it. Most people I know aren't 100% happy so I thought I'd ask around before I spend my hard earned cash.
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

gNat just got a new phone (refer to Big UP thread..i think?) and she seems pretty happy about it

I have a Motorolla.. its a work phone.. its ok.. bit heavy, battery runs flat every day, does not store many messages.. appart from that its ok.

Im not a fan of phones in general.. i like switching mine off :D
spazz

Post by spazz »

stovequeen wrote:gNat just got a new phone (refer to Big UP thread..i think?) and she seems pretty happy about it

I have a Motorolla.. its a work phone.. its ok.. bit heavy, battery runs flat every day, does not store many messages.. appart from that its ok.

Ah crap. You use your phone all the time like the rest of us!! :D
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

spazz wrote:
stovequeen wrote:gNat just got a new phone (refer to Big UP thread..i think?) and she seems pretty happy about it

Ah crap. You use your phone all the time like the rest of us!! :D
true.. it has to be on for work tho :? ... guess why i dont like it ah.
deviant

Post by deviant »

If only I had the cash for this little beauty
nhd

Post by nhd »

dont get a motorola razr v3, they are 50/50 on being REALLY fucking messy, battery - options, they all fuck up.........randomly
on tour

Post by on tour »

i am happy with my phone. It doesn't take pictures, doesn't play MP3's, doesn't hook up to the WWW, it isn't a dvd player/recorder, it doesn't turn into an umbrella for rainy days and it is not a bicycle as well..

it makes calls when i want it to and it receives them when i want it to. Messages too! I have had it for about three years and dropped more than Impluse does nasty tunes.

Old school Nokia....

Hooray for poverty!!!!![/url]
We will chant with robes on you will learn...
ruby

Post by ruby »

^^ Phones that do nothing other than make calls and rec. messages are where its at.

My contract has been up for a year but I refuse to get a new phone because everything out there does TOO MUCH. I don't want my phone to have a radio, play mp3's play videos or send/rec photos. To be quite honest I don't care if it even sends sms'. I have a Siemens c55 which has treated me well for almost 3 years. I've dropped it a bajillion times and it explodes into 4 or 5 pieces but nothing else ever happens.

I'd get a Siemens... if not only for the fact that everytime someone reads the name they laugh their arses off all Beavis and Butthead like :lol:
Fents

Post by Fents »

nhd wrote:dont get a motorola razr v3, they are 50/50 on being REALLY fucking messy, battery - options, they all fuck up.........randomly
werd. Mate just took one back cause the software crashed after one week.

Nokia 6610i or STFU.
on tour

Post by on tour »

Fents wrote:
nhd wrote:dont get a motorola razr v3, they are 50/50 on being REALLY fucking messy, battery - options, they all fuck up.........randomly
werd. Mate just took one back cause the software crashed after one week.

Nokia 6610i or STFU.
Okay, i STFU then...

Hooray for poverty!!!
saintberry

Post by saintberry »

ive got a samsung e700 (i think its called) was was the"shit hot" phone like a year or 2 ago and its still going strong. it has some crappy stuff like not being able to send vids or images via IR, but thats about it.

as far as it being a good "phone" it works really well and thats all i really want out of a mobile. it has the longest battery life ive ever used and feels nice to talk on and listen on.

look @ samsung, they have good menus, are built well and last a long time :)
First you get her name. Then you get her number. Then you get some get some in the back seat of a hummer!
Fents

Post by Fents »

on tour wrote:Hooray for poverty!!!
What part of STFU dont u understand. :P
on tour

Post by on tour »

Fents wrote:
on tour wrote:Hooray for poverty!!!
What part of STFU dont u understand. :P
Hooray for poverty!!!
Mellogs

Post by Mellogs »

I love my phone 8)
sneaky hands

Post by sneaky hands »

i have an O2 XDA2 S..which i love. best thing ive ever owned.
its a big machine though, when youre on the phone it looks like youre talking to a piece of toast. i totally recommend getting the mini version, its the same but without wi fi..still brilliant though and phone size.
sneaky flow like cash flow
on the first of the month
for broke cats that's thirst for the blunt
sneaky hands

Post by sneaky hands »

:bloarrgh:
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

Mellogs wrote:Image

I love my phone 8)
my old man has one. far too big.
one more medicated peacefull moment
www.dubstep.com.au
mrj

Post by mrj »

on tour wrote:i am happy with my phone. It doesn't take pictures, doesn't play MP3's, doesn't hook up to the WWW, it isn't a dvd player/recorder, it doesn't turn into an umbrella for rainy days and it is not a bicycle as well..

it makes calls when i want it to and it receives them when i want it to. Messages too! I have had it for about three years and dropped more than Impluse does nasty tunes.

Old school Nokia....

:script:

I have one of these as well. It makes calls, sends messages. Thats it.

Thats all I want it for.

He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

sneaky hands wrote:i have an O2 XDA2 S..which i love. best thing ive ever owned.
its a big machine though, when youre on the phone it looks like youre talking to a piece of toast. i totally recommend getting the mini version, its the same but without wi fi..still brilliant though and phone size.
that thing is a beast, do you still use it as much as when you first got it?
I know i dont use my PDA as much any more.
sneaky hands

Post by sneaky hands »

yeh, probably more. that thing has my life on it...i stress less because of it. dont have to remember anything any more cos its all in there!

its too big for carting around on a big night..but ive got a 5 year old siemens that does the job when i need it for that. otherwise its good cos im less inclined to carry a mobile on my person..paranoid about the radiation.

either way you can get the smaller phone size version now anyways thats just as dope.
quick

Post by quick »

Nokia all the way, easiest interface... the new one looks good :P
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

on tour wrote:i am happy with my phone. It doesn't take pictures, doesn't play MP3's, doesn't hook up to the WWW, it isn't a dvd player/recorder, it doesn't turn into an umbrella for rainy days and it is not a bicycle as well..

Old school Nokia....

:SCRIPT:

I got this phone and it does everything I want it too.
flippo

Post by flippo »

my oldschool phillips Savvy did everything i wanted it to (call numbers and send txt), untill I lost it. It was a classic.

I was going to get it refurbished when it went vintage.
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

quick wrote:Nokia all the way, easiest interface... the new one looks good :P
which one? im still thinking of getting a 3230 or a 6230i

i currently have a 6100. its nice and small, a bit too small for my large hands tho. plus its a bit rooted ever since i piffed it into the ocean a while ago in a drunken stupor
www.dubstep.com.au
flippo

Post by flippo »

but yeah ive heard nothing but bad news about those motorola razr things.
Mellogs

Post by Mellogs »

Ag3nT[]0raNg3 wrote:
Mellogs wrote:Image

I love my phone 8)
my old man has one. far too big.
thats what I love about it. I used to have a 8250 but it was so small I could never find it
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

ruby wrote: I don't want my phone to have a radio, play mp3's play videos or send/rec photos. To be quite honest I don't care if it even sends sms'.

:smt017

fair enough if your phone doesn't do anything but make/receive calls, but why would you NOT want one that does more? It's not as if you HAVE TO use the extra functions.

That would be like buying a car and being happy that it drives from A to B, but the windows don't wind down, there's no heater, no air con, no stereo, mirrors, cup holders or even seats.
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

that's why it's a buyer's market, BrB!
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
Amick

Post by Amick »

I have a Nokia 6230

I paid a bit of $$$ because I bought it outright but its a wicked phone, never crashes and the battery lasts 2-3 days before a recharge...

It plays mp3's as ringtones...mine has:
Roni Size - Snapshot
Calyx - Illusions
Technical Itch - Take The Stone
Unkle - UNKLE (Main Title Theme)
John B - Pressure
De La Soul - Ring Ring Ring (how cliche)

plus heaps of pictures. The memory card is 32MB but you can upgrade it.

The only bad thing about the phone is that it gets quite warm on the receiver end (the top) when you're talking for over 30 minutes, but it has speakerphone which makes up for it.
Zerotonine

Post by Zerotonine »

I got a Sony Ericsson Z600...ain't too shabby, I only like it cause it does what I want it to do (calls and SMS) and also recieves photo messages, which is cool cause a lot of my mates have the wanky phones and send me funny pictures etc. It's also a flip phone, and generally I like them more cause I'm usually rough as with my shit, and the screen has not one scratch on it (for obvious reasons)
Allons-y!
Schizo!

Post by Schizo! »

Rough as with your shit? Sounds painful :P

All I've got to say is:

Sony Ericsson P910i...

Or STFU.

Seriously, how could you not want a phone that you can play V Rally on?!?!?!

Have a look at it on the Sony Ericsson site, and you will be persuaded.
Little did I know, and even less did I care.
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

looks huge. and id snap that keypad off in a jiffy
www.dubstep.com.au
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

Old school Nokia....

script lex,

the only problem with your phone was when it looked like mine when I had one as well.......... I must of been pretty mean to mine, its been replaced with another bad bwoy nokia.....shot!

The best way to cure a broken heart is to give the pieces away
nhd

Post by nhd »

my 3310 is slowly but surely fading away, my modded lights are blinking (so titled the "party" phone) and its a bit shifty holding a full charge for long.
i was looking at a v3, untill i found out off various people they suck the ducks nuts. so i think ill prob get a sony erricson k750i, friend got one recently, she hasnt had any probs with it, 2mp camera aswell ooooh.
Schizo!

Post by Schizo! »

AO: It's not that big at all.

The keypad is spring loaded, and can be removed as the phone functions without it.
Little did I know, and even less did I care.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

Very, very happy with my Sony Ericsson K700i, and apparently the K750i is even better. Had it for about a year now, and the only problem is that now about five or six of my mates have them, so when someone gets an SMS, it's great fun figuring out who actually got it. Aside from that, top phone. The S and W series are also worth a look-in, but don't actually own one myself.
yenks

Post by yenks »

fooishbar wrote:Very, very happy with my Sony Ericsson K700i, and apparently the K750i is even better. Had it for about a year now, and the only problem is that now about five or six of my mates have them, so when someone gets an SMS, it's great fun figuring out who actually got it. Aside from that, top phone. The S and W series are also worth a look-in, but don't actually own one myself.
yep ive got one of these babies and its going strong!
during lectures its funny when everyone has bluetooth on and lots of ppl send every1 pictures/notes etc when it gets really boring.

Friend has one, left it in his pocket, went for a swim, for like 2 mins, realised his phone was in his pocket, got out, dry off phone and still works (without a backlight tho) pretty good, most phones are dead after that.
PahMaLa

Post by PahMaLa »

saintberry wrote:ive got a samsung e700
I have one and to be honest I have regretted it! I've got one year left to go on my contract and going back to Nokia!
It looks stylish, but I personally wouldn't recommend it, though the one that just out recently with the slide screen is aight.
deviant

Post by deviant »

fooishbar wrote:Very, very happy with my Sony Ericsson K700i, and apparently the K750i is even better. Had it for about a year now, and the only problem is that now about five or six of my mates have them, so when someone gets an SMS, it's great fun figuring out who actually got it. Aside from that, top phone. The S and W series are also worth a look-in, but don't actually own one myself.
I'm now seriously considering the k750i but I have reservations because my current sony-ericsson has been nothing but dog-poo. I reckon going back down the nokia path seems like the way to go.
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

my old housemate just got a nokia 6680. its fucking out of control.

www.dubstep.com.au
Mellogs

Post by Mellogs »

that phone looks crazy AO!

my sister recently got a motorola RAZR V3. everything about it is ghey
deviant

Post by deviant »

It does look pretty damn good. Pity it's on 3g :( coz you can pick them up from ebay for only about $350
deviant

Post by deviant »

yay for auction sniper :) Nokia 6230i

I wasn't totally ready to make a descision yet but hey, I got what looks like a wiki phone :)
Last edited by deviant on Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ghetto kitty

Re: Mobile Phones

Post by ghetto kitty »

well i am sure everyone has much cooler phones these days than the ones in this thread!

few questions

> did anyone with optus get cut off the network last friday?
> did anyone lose everything on their memory card after it went back up? (got contacts but no photos or themes or tones?)

> does anyone know where i can go to download ringtones that not some dodgy $10 per sms thing?
Fents

Post by Fents »

what phone do you have GK?

with ringtones it is far easier these days to get an mp3, cut the 30secs of the tune that you want as your tone and just copy it from your PC to your phone via cable.
deviant

Post by deviant »

yes I got cut off last friday... it was a 3G problem in melb and sydders... turning 3G off in the prefs would allow you to use your phone again.

I can't understand how you would have lost all your data though :?
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

i know its wierd! no photos! :( should i go into an optus shop or summin?

ive got a nokia 6300 i think it is?

not sure about the cut and paste fents...um...its that easy?
Fents

Post by Fents »

do you have a cable that came with the phone that connects it to your Computer? do you have the nokia software that came with the phone? (nokia pc suite or somthing?) if you answerd YES to both of these then it really is that simple.

Pauly would of helped i thought?
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Nice one Fents. Best response.
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

not all phones have the ability to use an MP3 as a ringtone ;)
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think