Mobile Phones

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
quick

Re: Mobile Phones

Post by quick »

fooishbar wrote:
apophenian wrote:
skiba wrote:smart phone with a linux os woudl be great :D
Google Android is linux based...
and it's still fucking awful.

quick, the e71 is pretty much the same as every other e/n series phone. pretty sluggish, really not great. but eh, if you don't mind current nokias (5800/n97 excluded), then the e71 is no worse than the others. keyboard really is small tho.
cheers, the e71 got amazing reviews tho, as dman said, and appareently the interface is not sluggish at all... ah crap.

Is the 5800 a better make phone? That is cheaper as well, could get that one.
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

no, the 5800 is atrocious. so many bugs.

if you insist on nokia, i'd suggest the n900 ;)

http://www.maemo.nokia.com

myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
quick

Post by quick »

but Foo... i want it noooooooooowwwwwwwwwww :P

but seriously... I want to buy a phone outright that has gps and wifi... just seeing if there is a nokia option like the sony ericsson e705... or if any other phone would be comparable, low cost etc etc...
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

i'd very strongly recommend the n900 over any other nokia phone except the ultrabasic 3330-style ones. not sure when it's going to be on sale in apac tho.
quick

Post by quick »

cheers, but i leave for oversaes in 11 days, and i need a wifi, gps phone, any other tips?
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

oh hah. well iphone tbh. ;)
quick

Post by quick »

boooo.... e71 is half the price... and the sony g705 is a third... may just get one of them... dont want to spend $800 on a phone that i wont be using heaps
retzie

Post by retzie »

Quickster, it's a rubbish market segment tbh. I spent ages looking and went with the g705 because I couldn't be fucked with all the smartphone bollocks. iPhone will suck balls without a contract and data connection, so def not that.

Serial, just get something cheap and ordinary looking. You're travelling, why would you want to waste your time playing on a phone?!

Just yo'self MGMaps for offline maps and eBuddy for IMs.
deviant wrote:I'm some sort of man-machine.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

fooishbar wrote:no, the 5800 is atrocious. so many bugs.

good handset, but unreleased.
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
mrj

Post by mrj »

o gawd stop trying to be different just get an iphone. Assimilate ya prick. ASSIMILATE!!!!!
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

system wrote:
fooishbar wrote:no, the 5800 is atrocious. so many bugs.

good handset, but unreleased.
oct. :) full announcement at nokiaworld.
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

So fucking true mrj... I know SO many people who say to me "I want a thin phone with a big touchscreen, that does email, Facebook, YouTube... and it's got to be a good web browser to use, no stupid buttons or menus or anything like that, just intuitive so I don't have to learn it again... it'll need SMS + MMS, it needs to have at least 16GB for music, I'll want to subscribe to a bunch of podcasts, oh and I'll need GPS + maps to navigate around... weather from BOM would be ideal as it's better than like Yahoo or Google weather for Australia... oh and I want to make sure there's plenty of apps for it so I can get new features for free... BUT IT CAN'T BE AN IPHONE BECAUSE EVERYONE HAS ONE AND I HATE APPLE BECAUSE THEY'RE A SUCCESSFUL COMPANY"
Kaiproject

Post by Kaiproject »

I'm also after said such phone butter lol...

Not just because "its Apple and they're successful" (I've come around to Apple of late, love my macbook and osx) but because there's no choice of phone, just the one. And its pretty boring, has a shit camera etc etc.

Also from what I've seen of Android its great, and when (not if) it takes off at a mass-market level, due to so many existing phone giants supporting it, it'll be even better. Open source linux-based = can customize interface/skins etc even more if you so choose and more people will be able to (legally) customize it.

For sure the HTC Hero is a major iPhone competitor (5mp cam/3.5mm jack/android 2.0) but its taking so long to get here, I'm not sure whether to wait because by the time it's out there will probably be a better HTC or other brand Droid out there.... Aussie phone carriers are so fken slow/shit.... http://www.htc.com/www/product/hero/specification.html

Here's another one that's just been released, the Motoralla Droid http://www.wired.com/reviews/product/pr_droid
Chunkier than iPhone but twice the screen res, 5mp, googlemaps/satnav FOR FREE (no monthly fee or $100 app b/s), flash10
Still, due to chunk-factor and no multitouch and the fact that HTCs are sexier and I'd get the Hero if a carrier would huury the fark up ...

Other HTCs:
Magic (in Oz, but getting old already with Hero and others on horizon...)
http://store.vodafone.com.au/htc-magic- ... offer.aspx
Tattoo - smaller/cheaper than Hero with decent specs.
http://www.htc.com/www/product/tattoo/s ... ation.html
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

Check out Sony Ericsson's new Android phone - apart from battery life, looks awesome!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-10389463-94.html
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

the main problem with android phones though is that they're all crap? i've not played with the droid or the xperia, but given motorola's awesome track record ...

the build quality on the htc ones is shoddy as all fuck, especially on the slide with the g1. as for being open source, that doesn't count for a lot if it's locked down. remember that a lot of the hacks you could pull off were because google fucked up quite badly and left some gaping security holes in android 1.x, similar to how the iphone can be jailbroken.

i've been infinitely more impressed with the palm prē than android on the whole (both individual phones, and the os in general), and the pixie should be pretty decent, especially now that they're finally doing a gsm version. it's also linux-based, and a is great deal more open source friendly than android has been, is, and will ever be.

(also, check out the camera on the 3gs. it's still not the best thing you've ever seen, but SO much better than previously.)
Kaiproject

Post by Kaiproject »

fooishbar wrote:the main problem with android phones though is that they're all crap? i've not played with the droid or the xperia, but given motorola's awesome track record ...

the build quality on the htc ones is shoddy as all fuck, especially on the slide with the g1. as for being open source, that doesn't count for a lot if it's locked down. remember that a lot of the hacks you could pull off were because google fucked up quite badly and left some gaping security holes in android 1.x, similar to how the iphone can be jailbroken.

i've been infinitely more impressed with the palm prē than android on the whole (both individual phones, and the os in general), and the pixie should be pretty decent, especially now that they're finally doing a gsm version. it's also linux-based, and a is great deal more open source friendly than android has been, is, and will ever be.

(also, check out the camera on the 3gs. it's still not the best thing you've ever seen, but SO much better than previously.)
yeah, i wouldn't really trust motorolla. that xperia looks crazy, 1ghz/8mp wow. sony ericssons can be decent depending on model.

and i would say the same goes with HTCs - majority not shoddy. the one's ive played with seem to me to have good build quality. i know a couple ppl who've had htcs for ages (albeit running windows) and never had any problems. in terms of slides - i hate all slide phones, they're all crap and all tend to break pretty quick imo

as for palm...don't know too much about em. they pre does sound and look sweet (apart from horrible slideout keyboard). but how much support network-wise are they gonna get in oz? and will number/quality of apps (developers developing for it) available rival iPhone or Android?
pixie seems to have even been delayed in even getting support in the US! and it looks horrible. i just think Android will be better marketed than windows mobile (which's been around for ages and has a tiny num of users, just business market) or any other mobile OS, and better received by consumers. might be faults as there always are to begin with but its already improving @ 2.0
retzie

Post by retzie »

So they've finally made a teeny tiny android phone, which actually seems to do all the things I would want, including living happily in the 'affordable to buy outright' zone, which I refuse to budge from: SE X10 mini pro.

I would not be running it as a proper smartphone (no data connection), but would definitely wifi, gps, etc. I know it's still 1.6, but I'm assuming that is just until they get their act together to release 2.x for it? If so, how disruptive (if at all) is the upgrade likely to be?

Thoughts?
deviant

Post by deviant »

just get an iphone

:teef:
retzie

Post by retzie »

I was going to write "First person to say 'get an iphone' gets a punch in the dick."

Bullet dodged!

:teefnilly:
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

Its a nice little phone! An upgrade to 2.1 should happen by the end of the year apparently.

Assuming all goes well, an upgrade shouldn't be too umm destructive.

Personally I am waiting till Vodafone brings out the Samsung Galaxy S.
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

retzie wrote:I was going to write "First person to say 'get an iphone' gets a punch in the dick."

Bullet dodged!

:teefnilly:
i think dan might like getting punched in the dick tho.
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
retzie

Post by retzie »

huge wrote:i think dan might like getting punched in the dick tho.
That's what the 'bullet dodged' part was for ;)
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

:lol:

seriously tho just get an iphone :teef:

4 is bare nice
retzie

Post by retzie »

Mebbe when my pockets are big enough for the wad of cash for an iPhone outright, they will also fit the damn thing. Until then, dicks shall be punched*.

Btw, I live in a country where I have zero credit and no job security, which is why I can't get a plan, innit ;)

*Not Dan's.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

haha. how about the acer betouch ones? i've never used them, but they seem fair cheap and they run android ...
retzie

Post by retzie »

Non-negotiable: height ≤ 95mm (current phone). For cereal, do you know how (not) big pockets are in girl jeans??

Foo, do you know anything about the SE? Seems to do/be everything I want, so am not particularly inclined to look further unless it is a dud. Will probably wait a bit anyway - only started looking coz the wifi on my G705 appears borked.
Sociopathic

Post by Sociopathic »

Motorola have this tiny tiny little square thing which could be good for small pockets.
http://www.motorola.com/consumers/GB-EN ... 06b00aRCRD

It's not released in Australia yet but then at the same time I have no idea which country you're in at the moment it's VERY VERY tiny. Apparently pretty easy to use. 67 x 67 x 17 mm (H x W x D)
Nice and compact

Stupid blood nokia stupid bloody phone. I want my phone back. Apparently they can't repair it. It's not evern 12months old so now I have to wait while they order in a whole new phone and use my crappy old one :(
The fridge is angry, the cheese told me so.

Watch out for the penguins, they are comming
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Did Motorola hire the old Nokia Chief Designer or something?
Don't hate me for house
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

retzie wrote:Foo, do you know anything about the SE? Seems to do/be everything I want, so am not particularly inclined to look further unless it is a dud. Will probably wait a bit anyway - only started looking coz the wifi on my G705 appears borked.
absolutely fuck-all tbh, the last SE i played with was a k700i, and lost track of them completely a few years ago, sorry.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

JAMESSSS wrote:Did Motorola hire the old Nokia Chief Designer or something?
:lol:

they've got a ways to go yet tho:

and then there's the absolute clangers which didn't even make it out the door ...
Sociopathic

Post by Sociopathic »

That purple one is kinda smexy.
I want a purple phone. Maybe when I get mine back I can just spray paint it purple. That could work.
The fridge is angry, the cheese told me so.

Watch out for the penguins, they are comming
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

Finally got my Samsung Galaxy S. It rules.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

apophenian wrote:Finally got my Samsung Galaxy S. It rules.
they look pretty good tbh
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

i had a good play with one and didnt like it at all, especially after using the desire for so long.
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

Ive played with the desire, gotta say i prefer the galaxy s - has better screen, way better battery life, wireless n. Some people take issue with the ui, but I don't have a problem with it...
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

:clap:
RGLZ

Post by RGLZ »

I got a Galaxy S the other day - only because it was going to be a '2 month' wait for an iPhone.. Wake up the next day to an email from Optus saying iPhone back in stock, motherfuckers..! O well, Galaxy is slowing growing on me..