Street Art

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
ghetto kitty

Re: Street Art

Post by ghetto kitty »

Hey guys...

Next sketch city is on soon! Ladies Luv sketch cityyyyyyyyy....

Heres a movie my friend made about sketch city too!

Watch the posted video on YouTube.

:D
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

cool kitty will try get down for once.. i is slack lately..

MAD SITES: (apologies if u know them already but they need to be shared with anyone that dont know them)

http://www.vandalog.com

http://www.unurth.com

http://www.woostercollective.com

http://www.streetsy.com

last 2 pretty well known...

loving my iphone RSS reader, got all these in my street art folder, its my most used app....
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

plz explain more luke.

you has an app for RSS feeds and those sites are on it so you get new street art news every day?

cool!
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

yeppers..

its called RSS mobile i think.. theres a free version (with ads) and a mid range and a premo one too.. all those links i post on FB and twitter are straight from the reader too (can share on pretty much any networking site straight from within the app)

u need a google email account, which comes with a free reader (when logged in to google click the reader tab), so essentially it synchs with google reader.. and once synched it can all be maintained from with in the app itself.. hope all that makes sense..
J0rdz

Post by J0rdz »

Would have thought this would've been posted already!

news.com.au wrote:MELBOURNE Council has inadvertently painted over a priceless piece of CBD street art by world-famous stencil guru Banksy.

In a move sure to anger Melbourne’s street art community, council’s anti-graffiti crew has painted over what is believed to be the only remaining work by the enigmatic British artist left in the city, the Melbourne Leader reports.

The image of a rat descending in a parachute adorned the wall of an old council building behind the Forum in Hosier Lane.

Hugh Thorne, of Hosier Lane cocktail bar Misty Place, said council officers had told him about the mistake this morning.

“It’s a shame, but no one really knew it was there. It was a quiet one,” Mr Thorne said.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
Win an Olympus camera

Vandals created a public outcry in 2008 when they poured paint over another iconic Banksy stencil of an old-fashioned diver wearing a trenchcoat on the corner of Swanston St and Flinders Lane. In that same year, another Banksy artwork stencilled onto a London wall sold for $472,528.

Melbourne Council has introduced a permit system that can give building owners permission to display graffiti works, but Mr Thorne said the building displaying Banksy’s rat did not have one.

“The council is trying to clean up all of the tagging in the city and they’re trying to differentiate between tagging and street art and I guess in this case they just couldn’t,” Mr Thorne said.

“At the end of the day, if they really want to get an art restorer in and spend thousands of dollars they could bring it back.”

Melbourne Leader is awaiting comment from the council.
http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/anti ... 5858906438

So fucking hopeless. GRRRR :(
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

Seriously. Paint over it. Who gives a fuk. It is a stencil done on wall. It was not meant to last forever. Who gives a shit who did it. It is not even that amazing.

Stencilling becoming over interlectualised trollip IMO.

If it was a stencil done by a radicalist on a wall in Mitte during a significant policitacal movement of one kind or another - and it held some very deep political message that symbolised a point in time where that was the only form of activist communication - if THAT got painted over I would be saddended at the loss of a significant peice of street art.

But a common Banksy stencil in Melbourne from circa 2003? Who gives a shit - its done.
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

Judging from what I have seen of his new film coming out soon (Exit through the gift shop), he has pretty much the same attitude.
deviant

Post by deviant »

it was already posted in the news thread ;)
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

DBoy wrote:Seriously. Paint over it. Who gives a fuk. It is a stencil done on wall. It was not meant to last forever. Who gives a shit who did it. It is not even that amazing.

If it was a stencil done by a radicalist on a wall in Mitte during a significant policitacal movement of one kind or another - and it held some very deep political message that symbolised a point in time where that was the only form of activist communication - if THAT got painted over I would be saddended at the loss of a significant peice of street art.

But a common Banksy stencil in Melbourne from circa 2003? Who gives a shit - its done.
100% agree.

transient nature of street art anyone?

kids from the gig on the weekend already tagged the nice Monkey piece on the side of miss libs, I was a bit sad it only lasted 3 weeks, but its time to paint over that too. keeps it fresh!
aroes

Post by aroes »

ghetto kitty wrote:
DBoy wrote:Seriously. Paint over it. Who gives a fuk. It is a stencil done on wall. It was not meant to last forever. Who gives a shit who did it. It is not even that amazing.

100% agree.

transient nature of street art anyone?

kids from the gig on the weekend already tagged the nice Monkey piece on the side of miss libs, I was a bit sad it only lasted 3 weeks, but its time to paint over that too. keeps it fresh!
great minds think alike..........from the news thread
aroes wrote:I love graf as much as the next person, spent a large chunk of my teenage years doing it (albeit badly), and I appreciate it on a daily basis

Don't you think that when they do stuff like cover a stencil with perspex, it attacks the very core ethos of graffiti? Transience is what makes graffiti great.......it evolves, it ebbs and it flows

When you see your favourite old school burner get buffed or capped by a toy, it's heart breaking, but constant change is what makes street art such a passionate pursuit

Sorry bout the rant, I'm not trying to jump down your throat, but I just think that the fact that Banksy has visited Melbourne and done a few tags is fairly boring. The works in question are far from ground breaking, the only reason there's a fuss is because "it's a Banksy"

I saw heaps of Reka tags in Harajuku recently. They'll be gone in a few years, capped by sick cunt upstart Japanese dudes. That's life
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

:lol: totally...

if people want permanent art, they can go buy a Banksy stencil on a canvas for a fuckload of cash. Banksy knows this, I bet he is laughing in his studio about those Aussies tbh.

the idea of the COUNCIL giving a shit about this makes me REALLY FUCKING ANGRY tbh.
there is amazing talents in this city, incredible art gets washed over all the time, the council just likes to tout this city as a 'mecca for street art' but they fucking only like to do that when it does not affect them in any adverse way.

case a) Commonwealth games. not only did they paint over every fucking electrical box in the entire city in one wekeend, to make em look 'clean' but they then went down some of our favorite painty, grungy alleys and put up SPORTS WALLPAPER PASTIES to cover the graff. for shame!

case b) Melb city council brought in 'legal street art permits' so you could get PERMISSION to have graff on the outside of your business without getting a bill for buffing or a demand to buff. Now, this was a totally ironic and yet admirable idea by the council, for the NATURE of GRAFF is its ILLEGAL.
at the time, the guy running the program was an okay dude, liked street art, and was really nice when we got one of these permits in the back laneway of lounge. but it was kind of funny that i went through 4 months of red tape and bullshit to be 'allowed' a small peice in an alley painted from top to bottom. and then, we were made to censor it!!!
they made us paint over some little cartoon cocks and mambo like dog balls!

this program is no longer running. they just stopped it.

okay, sorry, kitty rant over. but MAN it shits me when government bodies hold up 'the ARTS" as such am amazing thing they nurture, then fuck all of us artists in the ass when they get a grumble from some apartment owner etc.
deviant

Post by deviant »

how would you approach gov't policy??
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Id probably hire someone like me to coordinate and nurture the local street art scene. :lol:

during the 'zero tolerance' debate, they 'invited' members of the public to be 'involved' in 'discussions'
everyone sat there and listened to a load of amazing ways other cities and other countries deal with this issue,
then they slapped zero tolerance on, and are now fining people who happen to have a marker in their bag.

whatevs! lets go bomb shit!

;)
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

http://www.theage.com.au/national/melbo ... utostart=1

fuck me mr money sounds like a tosser.
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

witty_pseudonym wrote:http://www.theage.com.au/national/melbo ... utostart=1

fuck me mr money sounds like a tosser.
hahaha I totally agree with you!

fuckin ell he's letting the side down at the Age thats for sure, maybe he only works on the web stuff.
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
tee193

Post by tee193 »

South Yarra Canyon buffed.

what next! Hopefully doesn't turn out like Brisbane lines where everything only lasts a day or so max.
Last edited by tee193 on Wed May 05, 2010 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

No kidding! They have buffed from East Richmond to Burnley as well.
almax

Post by almax »

ghetto kitty wrote:Id probably hire someone like me to coordinate and nurture the local street art scene. :lol:

during the 'zero tolerance' debate, they 'invited' members of the public to be 'involved' in 'discussions'
everyone sat there and listened to a load of amazing ways other cities and other countries deal with this issue,
then they slapped zero tolerance on, and are now fining people who happen to have a marker in their bag.

whatevs! lets go bomb shit!

;)

You should totally just apply for a job with Melb city council, even if your job description doesn't exist, just make up a job description for yourself, explain what you would do and send it in to them. Imagine if they hired you!
worth a shot no?
deviant

Post by deviant »

haha, good luck ;)
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

deviant wrote:haha, good luck ;)
this.

I have had people in council and at the arts centre who vouch for me, and every job i apply for, i dont even get an interview, due to my CRAZY name and job experience they dont understand. then they put me on their MAILING lists instead of replying to my applications. the arts world is a fun place to look for gainful employment!

fuckin bigots.

thats totes shit to hear the lines are being buffed. i don't wanna live in a beige city like Phoenix or Brisvegas!!! NOOO!
deviant

Post by deviant »

ghetto kitty wrote:
deviant wrote:haha, good luck ;)
this.

I have had people in council and at the arts centre who vouch for me, and every job i apply for, i dont even get an interview, due to my CRAZY name and job experience they dont understand. then they put me on their MAILING lists instead of replying to my applications. the arts world is a fun place to look for gainful employment!

fuckin bigots.
Not having a go... just sayin'

this is a very conservative work-place
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

i didnt take it as you having a go.

its the truth! ;)
cammo

Post by cammo »

funny thing i found. heard a gallery has a banksy piece
asking price $15000 link http://www.metrogallery.com.au/artists/37/banksy/
look on ebay n find the same piece for $3500 usd
link http://cgi.ebay.com/BANKSY-EXIT-THROUGH ... 4aa0791ff6

now if i buy the one on ebay, ask the gallery to sell it even with a 50% commission i still double my money. woop
fucking hate gallery's that invest in street art that is cool n worth money but never have or will support local artists
they even list him as a artist they rep. but have never met the guy or been to one of his exhibitions
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

cammo wrote: fucking hate gallery's that invest in street art that is cool n worth money but never have or will support local artists
agree 100%. Which is why I'm about to open the gallery space at Miss L's again and it will be for locals, it will be ethical and it will be awesome.
cammo

Post by cammo »

ghetto kitty wrote:
cammo wrote: fucking hate gallery's that invest in street art that is cool n worth money but never have or will support local artists
agree 100%. Which is why I'm about to open the gallery space at Miss L's again and it will be for locals, it will be ethical and it will be awesome.
that is great bo. easy setting up a gallery. hard finding clients with money to spend on art consistently, most of my friends are broke or else would have done one years ago.

tempted to call metro gallery n find out more info
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

yeah it is, but ive got a few people from the 'straight' art world involved this time...and may get a grant too.
got sponsorship already for promotions and alcohol sponsorship is coming.

im reasonably confident that the venue will feed the gallery a bit too.
basically, the space is just sitting there, and many galleries have ridiculous commissions and hire fees, lots of my networks cant get shows unless they are at places like workshop and E55, which arent galleries.

im hoping to change that.
aroes

Post by aroes »

Biggle

Can I be the first to submit a piece? It's a throwup in biro I did on an old newspaper when I was in Berlin

:teef:
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

dope styles chico!

:P
aroes

Post by aroes »

Its cultural significance is undeniable

The newspaper was 3 MONTHS OLD, I had just finished a BLOG ENTRY, and I was in BERLIN
Last edited by aroes on Fri May 07, 2010 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

buff imho.

:lol:
aroes

Post by aroes »

fucking lol
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/seein ... -whoo.html

The total inconsistency in logic is making my head hurt

heritage listing for grafitti?? preserving only legal street art, becuase the ('illegal') banksy was removed?

uuhhh
aroes

Post by aroes »

The heritage victoria guy actually makes a good point about the 'ephemeral' nature of graffiti and how it might be best preserved with photography

These quotes made me lol though.........
Mr Madden said he had asked Heritage Victoria to investigate how ''we might potentially protect the street art in Melbourne'', but stressed it was only ''legal street art'', not graffiti or tagging, that was valued.
So basically he wants to 'protect' all the legal stuff in laneways. Awesome. The only guys that get any space in said laneways are generally already world reknowned and making buckets of money. Their stuff can be seen in every second gallery and book. Hardly worth 'protecting' imo
Noting that the Lonely Planet tourism guide had nominated Melbourne's street art as one of Australia's top cultural attractions, Mr Batchelor said wall art found in city laneways and parts of St Kilda and the City of Yarra was an important contribution to the city's artistic values.
Hahaha well if lonely planet lists graffiti as a melbourne attraction, then so say all of us. Anything for a tourism buck
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

ARGH.

I cant even enter into this it makes me so mad.
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

BANKSY tongiht !!!!! woot woot woot !!!
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

OK..

Last night on the way to movida pre Banksy movie.. We're walking through Hosier lane..

walk round the corner admiring a nice new TWO ONE piece..

Turn the corner and HOLY JEEEEBUS man .. OBEY Crew pasting up a full wall piece!!!!

Prolly the only Obey piece I'll see with my own eyes.. So Pretty stoked!!!

MAD !!
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

oh fuck off you fucking douchebag.

(not you dan, mitch)

why the FUCK would one assume that its been stolen for 'something commercial'

its probably on one of our friend's walls :lol:
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

I would assume it had been stolen for something commercial.

Why else would someone steal it other than because it has value?
Don't hate me for house
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Because they want it on their wall?
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

I still think it's more likely that someone ripped it off as it had value, otherwise it would have gone long ago.

Different subject -> it's OK to rip off street art?
Don't hate me for house
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Yes.

I leave my babies for people to take them. Its an offering, to be given up for whoever appreciates it.

Taking it is a compliment, unlike tagging it.

my two cents anyhow.
SoulWhiteMan

Post by SoulWhiteMan »

Make sure you see 'Exit through the gift shop' at ACMI....

Everything in art is brainwash....

[quote="DBoy"]Seriously. Paint over it. Who gives a fuk. It is a stencil done on wall. It was not meant to last forever. Who gives a shit who did it. It is not even that amazing.

ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Watch the posted video on YouTube.

mindblowing, yet again.
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

thats an incredible vid kitty :) late reply.. saw it a while back ..

I found out who BNE is also last weekend.. or is this old news?
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

this thats the best one ive seen so far, love the use of objects
CoB

Post by CoB »

holy crap.
seriously that is awesome
o/ . . . \o . . . -o . o- . \o/ \o/
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

amazing huh?

i remember knowing the BME story but cant recall it now, remind me?
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

disappointingly, he's the son of some rich dude. rich kid.. so now lost all cred imo..

His dad owns a place called roppongi hills. It's like the maddest part of Tokyo (for the uber rich) i thought it was a HOLE..

& his name is BEN.. Hence, BNE.. (He's apparently half Japanese half something else)...

FAIL.. he did get up tho..

Can't wait for some Melb graf again.. ain't the best here..

Funnily, the most stickers I saw in Tokers, were Everfresh ones... haha..