Pets

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
almax

Re: Pets

Post by almax »

thats terrible news Gnat, dont rabbits have a really short lifespan anyway? how old was the Moj?
gnat

Post by gnat »

he was 8 al. they can live to 14-15 yrs. i was so sure we'd hgave him as an old grey cranky bunny
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

terrible news Gnatty, thoughts are with you babe
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

deviant

Post by deviant »

CUTE ALERT!!!!
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090406/ts ... 0406082210

Dog gets lost at sea, swims to an island 5 miles away and survives for months on wild baby goats.
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

is that tongue?

I miss Subby :(
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

We're looking for a puppy!!
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
Expert Knob Twiddler

Post by Expert Knob Twiddler »

my pet tadpoles keep turning into frogs.
how do i stop this??
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

YI - what kind of puppy?

knobby - bind them with rubber bands?
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

YI .. yeh what sort r u looking at?
gnat

Post by gnat »

gripe re pets: how the f#ck can people just relinquish their pets becoz they're 'moving'. people of work intranet giving up animals they've had for 4 years!!

so ghey

i would never move anywhere that meant giving up even one of mine. ever.

dickheads tbh
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

When I left New Zealand, I left my cat Scooter with my ex-girlfriend, and that was the hardest thing about moving to Melbourne for me.
I just flew him over about 2 months ago, after being away for 3 years.

Sometimes circumstances don't allow the luxury of having a pet.
gnat

Post by gnat »

that's a bit diff imo

i'm talking about oh i'm moving to a unit and can't take my cat of 6 years
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

Yeah that's a bit silly.
deviant

Post by deviant »

apophenian wrote:Yeah that's a bit silly.
you are :teef:
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

You're a lot silly
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Today I saw the most depressing thing I've seen in a while, and I'm still wondering if I saw it right. I was driving up Toorak Road and I saw two men in yellow safety vests leaning over something on the footpath. Thought maybe they were helping someone who'd fallen but when I looked over my shoulder as I drove passed I saw a dog curled up on it's back with it's legs coiled up past it's shoulders unable to straighten out. Like it was in a major fetal position, but perched on it's spine so it's head was facing up and it's legs aiming behind the head. In the short amount of time I could look without crashing into the car in front of me, it looked like the men (and the dog) where trying to straighten it out (little jerking movements from the pup) but it's spine seemed completed stuck in that position.

Can't get that image out of my mind. Can't imagine how the situation came to be...how did those workmen come to find the dog on a major road? Had someone called them? How long had it been like that? How did the pup get like that? Was it run over...did it's spine cramp? I don't like using cliched terms but I'm haunted by that image. Poor puppy dog :cry: Wishing I'd stopped to help.
ulyssian

Post by ulyssian »

:o oh mixy- that is a terrible story. Feel awful just reading it!
Most real estates are putting the brakes on pets moving in so if its a choice of house or pet- they got no option- i think its bullshit but some peoples pets destroy properties and piss n shit inside ruining the place- therefor ruining it for people who look after their pets and house!
Client gave up her 15 year old dog just to get a house- and he got real stressed where he was staying without his family that he developed a tumor- so the vet and i wrote letters to the landlord supporting his return home and ensuring that he was too old and sick to do any damage- and they let him go home! Most satisfying story this year! His health has improved a shit load!
I want a cat!
L-J

Post by L-J »

I have a cat.
The South East Connection-Every Sat 9am-11am GMT+1 8pm-10pm GMT+10
Big Tings-24th Oct With Coki, Loefah, Mj Cole and Zed Bias @ Roxannes
Branded Beats- 6th Nov @ Mercat
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

kronz and i saw a cat that had just been hit on brunswick road a couple of weeks ago.
it's tail moved and legs twitched and i haven't been able to get the image out of my mind.
felt nauseous and in shock for ages. :(

i want a cat too....but not after seeing that. could.not.deal.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

It makes you realise just how difficult it would be to be a parent. After I saw that pup on the footpath all I could think of was my Subby and how BADLY I'd be cut if something happened to him.

Gotta go visit him I think, I miss the little tyke:

Friday

Post by Friday »

This is how my cat Mojo eats his dinner:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5uSytnfkv8
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Cute. Shiba used to do that too, pawing at the fresh kill...hehehe
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Oh Dear.

We are going through the terrible twos/adolescence over here (i hope)

in the last few days, Yoshi dog has eaten a macdonalds meal off the coffee table in front of the sleeping housemate who bought it, has been busted in the same housemates bed, with his head in a bag of chocolate chip cookies (all gone) and then has been busted eating the replacement bag off cookies from off the top of a high chest of drawers.

This is a pooch who gets kangaroo meat daily, gourmet crunchies, tid bits of our dinner and pretty much the last bite of everything i eat. He is not starving, but any stretch.
He did not get dinner on the nights he ate cookies.

I waved the empty bag off cookies in his face, told him 'THIS IS NAUGHTY, BAD DOGGIE, NOT ON!!" and dragged him back to the scene of the crime where his doggy body language left me sure he totes knows what he is doing, then put him outside after a stern telling off.

I just dont know what to do. I have a hard time staying angry at him, and figure seeing as he just wants to be part of the pack, putting him outside is punishment. but I cant buy any more replacement cookies or tampons, this is getting ridiculous.

Will he grow out of this? Or is a hound, always a hound?

ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

and yesterday, licked clean a litre bowl of fresh guacomale id made, with half a bowl of yummy natural corn chips from the coffee table in the loungeroom when we were outside for ten minutes.

chained him to the hills hoist away from view of the house and he was whining.
i felt like my insides were being torn out and only lasted half n hour before letting him inside.

is isolation punishment? he had no dinner as well, but got bones earlier in the day, before his mexican fiesta.
amzie

Post by amzie »

You say you give him your last bite of every meal, do you give that to him straight from your hand/inside? I know that makes this kind of behaviour worse. If you can, totally stop giving him people food so he gets a clear idea of the difference between his food and your food. Cos he cant tell the difference between you giving him food from your meal and taking it himself. He just thinks its a free for all.

Its good to take the pooch outside when your giving him a treat, to his own treat spot. Only feed him from his dinner bowl or this spot.

My flatmates dog will be sent out the room if she stares at us while we are making food or eating, she will even take herself outside if she cant help herself. We could leave a bunch of sausages on the coffee table all day and I dont think she would dare touch them. She is also not allowed to loiter in the kitchen. Try and minimise the time yoshi spends hanging round when your making food i.e give him his dinner when your eating yours.

I think outside and very stern voice (be consistent in what you say to him when he does the wrong thing and the tone) is the best thing to do. As soon as you bust him tell him he's done the wrong thing and put him outside, I know its tough (especially with that face!) but he will get the hang of it eventually!
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

no i dont feed him from my plate, he has to wait till im finished and then gets the leftovers in his bowl.
but he still thinks its a free for all heheh.

i usually feed him before i eat, but then he pretty much stares at me so i make him go away and not sit close to whoever is eating.

my friend taught his dog the words 'don't look' and he would look away ashamedly, this friend has treid to tech yoshi but does not compute for some reason. he is trained to do lots of things, lie down with a hand command, shake hands, sit on the sopt when we are in the street with no leash, but roll over does not compute, neither does 'dont look'??

definately gonna keep chaining him to the hills hoist, he hates that. and then he cant bang at the door and remind me hes there n cute.

thanks amzie, so im on the right track but need to be TOUGHER!!!
amzie

Post by amzie »

yup i think your totally on the right track!

my flatmates dog knows "look away" which works for about 5 seconds haha her face is hilarious.
gnat

Post by gnat »

agree kitty. with dogs you need to be tough and CONSISTENT.

our place is total chaos at the moment. cats chasing bunnies chasing cats chasing bunnies

ten autistic toddlers would be less energy
Friday

Post by Friday »

how do the cats and bunnies get along in general? i'd love to have bunnies but worried the cats would be too rough with them...
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Friday wrote:This is how my cat Mojo eats his dinner:

I've seen that but I didn't know it was your cat! HE'S AWESOME!

Does he always eat like that?
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Hardy wrote:
Friday wrote:This is how my cat Mojo eats his dinner:

I've seen that but I didn't know it was your cat! HE'S AWESOME!

Does he always eat like that?
That's terribly polite, what a little cutie! I bet he wipes with a napkin and excuses himself as well.
amzie

Post by amzie »

I had a bunny at the same time as three cats and i used to look out the window and see the bunny chasing the cats around. (we let the rabbit roam the yard cos it was pretty safe with our cats no others would bother it).

In my experience they usually get along pretty well. But that said out rabbit was a full grown (decent sized) bunny before it met the cats.
Friday

Post by Friday »

haha hardy - yep. that's my boy mojo. he's hilarious. and yes - he always eats like that.

he is actually a REALLY polite cat mixtress. always looks to you for permission to sit next to you etc etc.

hmmmm. interesting on the buns. i'd need to wait til i'm in a place with more space, but that's good to know. always wanted one.
gnat

Post by gnat »

lol friday that is gorgeous!

the bunnies and the cat are getting on much better than expected! they're big bunnies though- bigger than the cat, who is a little fella

and same thing as amzie- bunnies chasing the cat everywhere. he's curious as hell but scared of them

will take some time before i'd leave them unsupervised while i wasn't there though.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

went to the vet today....Yoshi has a-topic allergies and will probably have them forever. Caused by a myriad of things...

which means a rashy belly, constant, relentless itching :(

so now we have calendula tea for his mild conjuctivitis, steroids for the allergies (but i hate giving him steroids)
and medicated shampoo....

I was really stoked to discuss natural therapies for his issues, and walk away with a mixture of western and alternative therapies for him..
why the FUCK arent western doctors like this too?

BU northcote plaza vet - they are awesome.
Amick

Post by Amick »

POOR YOSHIMA!!!!
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

i know. i want to cuddle him better forever.

liddle!!!
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

Socio check out tips in here too re doggie training

my mum's cat had to be put down the other day, she gave the cat cod liver oil for an upset stomach, and it was a couple of ml too much, and the oil got on one of its lunch. She was almost better, and then weirdly turned for the worse again, it was a horrible few days. RIP Angelina :(
click here fo fotos
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

Aww Lizzy, thats horrible. Poor mum :(

Spewing I missed the anti puppy factory protest yesterday. Read it a few weeks ago and it was going to be a weekday, so I let it go. But they changed it and I didnt know!!!! Grrrr. They make me so sad. :( Chris Brown doing a show on 7pm about em. Not sure I want to watch it tbh, the rspca bus shelter ads make me cry so i cant see myself being ok for a whole segement.
almax

Post by almax »

Lizkins wrote: she gave the cat cod liver oil for an upset stomach, and it was a couple of ml too much, and the oil got on one of its lunch.
You should always put cod liver oil in a cats dinner or breakfast, never lunch
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

according to the vet you should use parafin oil instead.

things you learn afterwards :( shit year for my mum losing her own mother, and her cat. worst :(
click here fo fotos
almax

Post by almax »

hang on, i thought you miss typed lungs with lunch. I am confused.

...and btw sorry for your mums losses :(
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

oh right, nah it spread and got on to her lungs. Its okay to give it to them, but apparently parafin oil is better and safer, but you have to be really careful with how much. Mum only gave her like 5ml, not even, and this is what happened.
click here fo fotos
CoB

Post by CoB »

:/

i tried to say i miss mah kitteh
but somehow it didnt say it to the internet.
o/ . . . \o . . . -o . o- . \o/ \o/
Sociopathic

Post by Sociopathic »

Thanks liz :D Had a bit of a browse through. Good stuff.

He's still in really little ppuppy faze and currently trying to eat the keyboard while I'm typing..
He soo cute, it's so hard to be angry at something that lies on your chest and curls his head up under your neck to have a nap.

He's actually pretty good thus far (ok he's only 9 weeks old) but doesn't really go to the toilet everywhere. So far during the day time he has progressed to using the puppy pad things that we leave for him during the day and knows when he goes outside it's toilet time.

He hasn't as yet started chewing EVERYTHING mainly just his toys and any form of paper he can get his hands on.
He seems to understand no thus far.

Trying slowly to teach him to be ok with staying outside on his own. Did this while I mopped and swept the kitchen and just resulted in him sitting at the door nearly the entire time crying...thats gonna be hard..
The fridge is angry, the cheese told me so.

Watch out for the penguins, they are comming
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

We got home last night and ours are getting stuck in the bedroom - they push the hall door and get in, and then it closes behind them and there stuck in there all day!!

They destroyed an entire box of tissues, including the box. Thats fun to pick up. Chewed tissues everywhere.
CoB

Post by CoB »

hahaha
yeh my folks have to close all the toilet doors because their cat tears up the toilet paper
o/ . . . \o . . . -o . o- . \o/ \o/