T.V

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

the voice over guys that dub The Simpsons in Spanish are on Strike.

useless piece of information # 826,300,548
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
quick

Post by quick »

^^^^^^

classic :lol:
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
mecka

Post by mecka »

Aye simpsons kicks ass. Futurama is close behind but I don't think ch 7 will be repeating it anytime soon.

I was surprised to tune in to ch 7 on sunday nite and catch buffy followed by the xfiles.

and chappelle's show is highly recommended. I've got the entire first series on DVD (back when Minotaur brought in 5 copies of it from the US).
eskay

Post by eskay »

STUDY: Watching Fewer Than 4 Hours of TV a Day Impairs Ability to Ridicule Pop Culture

NEW YORK—A Columbia University study released Tuesday suggests that viewing fewer than four hours of television a day severely inhibits a person's ability to ridicule popular culture.

"An hour or two of television per day simply does not provide enough information to effectively mock mediocre sitcoms, vapid celebrities, music videos, and talk-show hosts—an essential skill in modern society," said Dr. Madeleine Ben-Ami, a professor of cognitive science and chief author of the study. "The average person requires a minimum of four to six hours of television programming each day to be conversant on the subject of The Apprentice or able to impersonate Anna Nicole Smith."

Tracking 800 individuals between the ages of 15 and 39, researchers found that people who watch fewer than four hours of television a day have difficulty understanding the references made on VH1's Best Week Ever, and are often unable to point out the absurdity of infomercial products or the cluelessness of American Idol finalists.

"Study participants who watched television inconsistently were less personally invested in what they saw than regular viewers," Ben-Ami said. "While some sporadic viewers were able to enjoy jokes made by others, they were unable to make jokes of their own. The regular viewers averaged 12 celebrity-related sarcastic asides per hour, while the uninformed viewers made almost none."

The contrast between regular and irregular TV viewers was made plain by a simple experiment: Irregular and regular TV viewers were videotaped while watching footage of Michael Jackson.

"Note how this young man remains calm, observing the series of photographs quietly," said Ben-Ami, pointing to one of two monitors running footage of individual study participants. "Meanwhile, his counterpart laughs uproariously, pretends to gag, and feigns sexual intercourse with a throw pillow. Seconds later, he leaves his seat to execute some kind of '80s-style breakdance and injures himself, probably because of his excessive weight."

"The first man doesn't have a television," Ben-Ami added gravely. "The other man watches an average of 40 hours of network and cable programming each week."

Ben-Ami said study participants who watched fewer than 28 hours per week were unable to ridicule Paris Hilton "with any specificity whatsoever."

"By incorporating Paris Hilton into our oral interviews, we provided participants with an easy opportunity to 'riff' on the heiress," Ben-Ami said. "Nevertheless, non-TV viewers reacted to softball questions like 'What's up with Paris' hair extensions?' with monosyllabic shrugs or bemused silence. It was like they were completely ignorant of her many skanky attributes and laughable traits."

Ben-Ami said she and her colleagues fear that, if it is not corrected, television illiteracy could result in an American sub-group unable to function in the modern world.

"Because the ridicule of pop culture comprises the bulk of today's social discourse, a non-viewer is at a distinct disadvantage in the workplace, on campus, and in the dating scene," Ben-Ami said. "An employee who can't participate in jokes about Ashlee Simpson's disastrous Orange Bowl appearance will sit dumbfounded while a more able coworker ingratiates himself to the boss by laughing. And just as the bird with the most colorful plumage attracts the most attention, so too does the bar-TV viewer who yells, 'Have a sandwich before you faint!' when Mary-Kate Olsen appears on screen."

The study's findings have triggered concern among parents across the country.

"I don't want my 10-year-old to enter college without the ability to mock boy bands," said Myra Savage of Phoenix. "I want him to excel, like those kids who form campus sketch troupes or win college-wide trivia contests. Should I make him cut down on his reading?"

University of Colorado communication arts professor N. Clyde Graf said parents should nurture their children's enthusiasm for pop culture by having them watch a minimum of four hours of television each day, with at least two of those hours falling during prime time.

"As a TV-literate child grows into adolescence, he begins to develop either moody contempt or perverse love for camp," Graf said. "Both attitudes are vital to the informed ridicule of pop culture."

Graf said parents should encourage children by example.

"Don't instruct your child to turn on Nanny 911 and then go and watch educational television right in front of them," Graf said. "They should only be watching PBS once they've attained the level of jaded detachment that will allow them to find humor in low-budget sets, nerdy hosts, and clichéd, Ken Burns-style pan-and-scan direction."

Graf said that, without supersaturation in the worst forms of the medium, children will treat television as a source of passive entertainment.

"Long gone are the days when an individual would switch on his set and enjoy a simple, satisfying, and fun hour of diversion," Graf said. "To perceive television this way is to be hopelessly out of step with our times."

:smt005

I :smt049 The Onion
Under every grief and pine
Runs a joy with silken twine.

quick

Post by quick »

Tennis is also good to watch. Me goin to centre court action on the 24th, woohoo. 8)
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

tl;rl
one more medicated peacefull moment
www.dubstep.com.au
quick

Post by quick »

Ag3nT[]0raNg3 wrote:tl;rl
??? :?
eskay

Post by eskay »

thought that must've been an in-joke... but I guess not

quick

Post by quick »

eskay wrote:thought that must've been an in-joke... but I guess not
He had a few(3) beers before so ??? :wink:
eskay

Post by eskay »

ahhh that explains it ;)

Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

sorry.. my nerdiness is starting to show a little..

too long; read later..

im not being a prick. as i think you might think i am... :?

i will read it! at work tomorrow :P
www.dubstep.com.au
eskay

Post by eskay »

Ag3nT[]0raNg3 wrote:i will read it! at work tomorrow :P
when you have nothing better to do eh ;)

ukime

Post by ukime »

Family Guy is the winner IMO, too bad it got axed - thank god for bittorrent and eMule. Always love catching "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" randomly between 2:00 - 3:00 on random nights ...

I watched the Office for the first time the other night - that guy is so funny and so awkward at the same time ... couldn't work out whether I wanted to cringe or laugh 8)
"I have ridden the mighty moon worm." - Al Gore.
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

ukime wrote:Family Guy is the winner IMO, too bad it got axed - thank god for bittorrent and eMule. Always love catching "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" randomly between 2:00 - 3:00 on random nights ...
i have a feeling family guy was on at around 11:30am on random week days...but not sure if it still is or not though. managed to catch it a couple of times when i was working part time.

as for Who's Line Is It Anyway?...gold.
ukime

Post by ukime »

witty_pseudonym wrote:i have a feeling family guy was on at around 11:30am on random week days...but not sure if it still is or not though. managed to catch it a couple of times when i was working part time.
Yeah, it was on then ... but got axed halfway through the season. I think too many kids were watching it and some parents probably complained that their kids were coming up to them and telling them that there was a dog smoking cigarettes and snorting coke on T.V. :roll:
fmf

Post by fmf »

The fast show can't be beaten. that shit is gold on so many levels.... curb your enthusiasm, like the office but much more painful... i'm alan partridge is more painful still... south park is ok too

gripping drama... 24 + law & order

docos... anything involving death (particularly the SS/ nazis /hitler) or fire (seconds from disaster is a good one for frame-by-frame analysis of major catastrofies)
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

fmf wrote:The fast show can't be beaten. that shit is gold on so many levels....
definately.

comedy:
Chappelles Show
The Fast Show
The Office (got the box set for Xmas!!)
Kid Notorious
The Man Show
Who's Line Is It Anyway
The Ben Stiller Show

not comedy:
Six Feet Under
The Sopranos
L&O Criminal Intent
CSI - not farkin Miami with the farkwit bloodnut
American Chopper
The Naked News - Big Ups to Erica Stevens!!!
ukime

Post by ukime »

breaksRbest wrote:The Ben Stiller Show
Still haven't seen this ... any good?
quick

Post by quick »

ukime wrote:I watched the Office for the first time the other night - that guy is so funny and so awkward at the same time ... couldn't work out whether I wanted to cringe or laugh 8)
It is so like that, uncomfortable viewing at its best.
nic

Post by nic »

CSI - not farkin Miami with the farkwit bloodnut
Hahaha. Couldnt agree more!!
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

ukime wrote:
breaksRbest wrote:The Ben Stiller Show
Still haven't seen this ... any good?

yeah man, it's piss funny.

there is a character that he plays that uses the same voice as his dress up character in Starsky & Hutch

DO IT, seriously, DO IT, come on, DO IT, DO IT

:lol:
quick

Post by quick »

If you want legal/cop dramas, its got to be Law&Order, the og and the best.

Go Jack McCoy
mecka

Post by mecka »

aha... the fast show.

"i'm a one man crime wave i am.. a little whoaaaahh.. a little bit wehaaaay"
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

Surprised nobody has mentioned Happy Tree Friends and Friends. It's a compilation of short animated shows that are quite bizarre. The best is Harvey Birdman (the Superhero) Attorney at Law - hilarious.

Also, did anyone see Black Books when it was on the ABC a couple of years ago? Surreal, and funnier than anything that's been on TV for ages (excl. Simpsons obviously). There's a DVD out of the first two series, which I can't recommend highly enough.
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

i think someone had mentioned it earlier on.. meant to check it out last night..
www.dubstep.com.au
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

quiet roar wrote:Surprised nobody has mentioned Happy Tree Friends and Friends. It's a compilation of short animated shows that are quite bizarre. The best is Harvey Birdman (the Superhero) Attorney at Law - hilarious.

I watched it last night, was only the second time i'd seen it. Harvey Birdman was farkin hilarious :lol:

and those 2 little aliens, Timee & Jaydee or something like that. basically a well animated Itchy & Scratchy.

yup, Black Books is a pisser too :lol:
valuetime

Post by valuetime »

<<< harvey birdman is funny as shit.

new series starts at some point this year.
mecka

Post by mecka »

quiet roar wrote:Also, did anyone see Black Books when it was on the ABC a couple of years ago? Surreal, and funnier than anything that's been on TV for ages (excl. Simpsons obviously). There's a DVD out of the first two series, which I can't recommend highly enough.
If I remember correctly, the DVD can be had for less than $50 at JB - a bargain.
nic

Post by nic »

worst last episode ever....Carnivale.

Was very let down, as soon as it got half way through I knew they were gogint o be leaving alot unanswered. Took the easy way out.....
:(
Will

Post by Will »

Spaced.

spazz

Post by spazz »

I second that one Will,

And Coupling....sheet I am hooked on that show. But its not actually on our TV channels...oh well it still rocks!

Women are inherently evil and men are genetically stupid. Yup yup.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

The Simpson rule all!

Law & Order rocks my world! Go Jack McCoy you absolute gun you. And yeah Sneaster i was soooo upset when Briscoe kicked it. He was a legend too!

My other loves are Invader Zim, Futurama, Pinky & the Brain, The Office...the list goes on. Television is my friend, i hug it Homer Simpson styles on the occasion :D
Trailer_trash

Post by Trailer_trash »

...Mythbusters...SBS

Two dudes who carry out experiments such as seing how much poprock and coke a pigs intestine can handle before it explodes(the intestine has been removed from the pig), seing how fast a car can go after welding several rockets to its roof(remote controlled it outran the helicopter), trying to make ice bullets, do you get wetter if you walk or run through rain.....the list goes on. Very stupid, too much time on their hands stuff...but very entertaining

World series Poker 8) SBS

Golden jackets, sunglasses(at nite) and a glass table with a camera underneath so you can see who has what cards and what moves they're trying to pull. I get lost in these games...too many weird moves....but the commentary is the best...you'd swear you were watching the footy.
Charlie don't surf!!
Will

Post by Will »

spazz wrote:I second that one Will,

And Coupling....sheet I am hooked on that show. But its not actually on our TV channels...oh well it still rocks!

Women are inherently evil and men are genetically stupid. Yup yup.
Coupling definitely has its moments. Sometimes it just doesn't quite come off though...
lynt

Post by lynt »

Will wrote:Spaced.

Good to see you're on the team Will.

We had a massive Spaced discussion on Sunday morning over a few champers... classic.
Mellogs

Post by Mellogs »

breaksRbest wrote:
quiet roar wrote:Surprised nobody has mentioned Happy Tree Friends and Friends. It's a compilation of short animated shows that are quite bizarre. The best is Harvey Birdman (the Superhero) Attorney at Law - hilarious.

I watched it last night, was only the second time i'd seen it. Harvey Birdman was farkin hilarious :lol:

and those 2 little aliens, Timee & Jaydee or something like that. basically a well animated Itchy & Scratchy.

Petee & Jaydee rule!!

so funny with the angle-grinder.. hahaha jaydee always gets it in the end! :lol:
...and basically that's the situation
ukime

Post by ukime »

Nip / Tuck.

Watched that double/triple episode thingy they had on last night, first time I had seen it ... jeez, talk about full on. I reckon it's got some really interesting (albeit completely fucked up) themes, the actors aren't too bad ... and good-holy-fucking-zombie-jesus, that actual plastic surgery scenes are ... very full on.

They are like full on cutting peoples faces off and stuff :o
Friday

Post by Friday »

i've watched nip / tuck casually from the start... never got super into it that i can't miss an episode etc...

but recently it's drawn me right in. last night was full on! :shock:
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

witty_pseudonym wrote:Wire In The Blood (abc, 8:30 fridays) would have to be the best crime drama on tv. it's a one off bbc series...but fucking top notch viewing. 8)

i <3 BBC
I just got how that is a heart for the first time

does that mean I have to give my degree back?
Don't hate me for house
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

I was just gonna post about nip/tuck, hadn't seen it since the kid tried to circumsize himself :shock:

last night was pretty full on, with the mother fucker and the freak who I thought was gonna peel his face off. freaky shit
ukime

Post by ukime »

Yes, that family has got fucking issues. The mother sleeping with both the sons, one of them having two dads ... and yeah, the dude high on nitrous (tank?) who started to slice his own face ... was a good move that one, telling him to start with his own face for transplant ... :shock:
Friday

Post by Friday »

yep it's ace! :)

it's sad it's the season finale on thursday :(
ukime

Post by ukime »

Yeah definately :(

I want to get it on DVD to watch through now I'm more desensitized ...
quick

Post by quick »

Hewitts match last night :shock:

Who watched it, tired as hell now, but what a fukn match. Hewitt is a gun.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

quick wrote:Hewitts match last night :shock:

i did

:roll:

hehehe
Amick

Post by Amick »

quick wrote:Hewitts match last night :shock:

Was at a friends place in Geelong watching it, hoping Nalbandian wouldn't choke, which he did. Anyway when it was the 5th set and Hewitt tied it 6-6, i'm like fuck this time to go home. I was thinking it would go to something like 21-19...

As for TV I hardly watch it these days, even tho we have Foxtel @ home. I do like World Series Poker tho, the dude with the Snake Eye Hologram on his lenses is funny, also that Swedish dude who screams his ass off when he wins...v. funny :lol:

Comedy on BBC is always quality viewing.

S.P, F.G, D.C.S + Jeremiah are wicked.
DEAN G

Post by DEAN G »

^^^WPT - Go Noli!
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

anyone catch the doco on auschwitz last night?

excellent show...extremely depressing but incredibly interesting.
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

witty_pseudonym wrote:anyone catch the doco on auschwitz last night?

excellent show...extremely depressing but incredibly interesting.
yep. saw that.
www.dubstep.com.au
nic

Post by nic »

What about Ava on Nip/Tuck :shock:

How about that mask and syringe killer :shock: That put the scares into my girlfriend for the night.

Sad its over for now :cry: