Health

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
quick

Re: Health

Post by quick »

oh... and drinking heaps moar water... no juice as substitute now... was always drinking juice instead... not good, more fresh fruit and veg and drink water
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
nic

Post by nic »

lol wots going on?!!1

ill show you how to make bare lentil soups and my famous steamed broccoli on chickpeas with tomatot and blacned spinach with lemon and pepper chunkers salad

(pretty bland buyt u get used to it lol)
quick

Post by quick »

can imagine... i was wanting to do this when i got home to Aus, but am happy I am doing this now... will be hard to maintain when travelling europe in a couple of months
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

yeah, tbh i'd be less worried about the juice and more worried about obliterating your ankle while on a six-month-long forest rave crawl through eastern europe :teef:
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
quick

Post by quick »

hahaha... no shit... played football (soccer tbh) on weekend, was quite sore after, feels ok now... my ankle is shithouse, but grassy pastures on the european outdoor festival circut make it heal good :teef:
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Great. Steve is a fag now. That's all I need.
quick

Post by quick »

no more excuses hey Hardy ;)
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

week 3 no carbs, no dairy, no fruit of any kind.

snacking on miso soup right now for mid morning hungries.

getting easier, and changing how i look at food a LOT
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

No fructose or something?
Don't hate me for house
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

yup no fructose. not just cos its extremely high sugars...but because it drives cholesterol up as well as iron levels.
mrj

Post by mrj »

I've always been extremely dubious when it comes to any sort of eating regime that competely cuts out a certain type of food or drink (barring alcohol).

tbh I'd be doubly dubious of something if it said to cut out something as fundamental as fructose. To me cutting fruit out of your diet is a ridiculous notion if your aim is to be healthy.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Someone had to say it! I'm a bit dubious too.

Are there recognised studies that show the cholesterol and iron links GK?

Having said that some people are allergic to fructose, which is entirely different.
Don't hate me for house
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

:lol:

mrj - why, because tribal people ate fruit 6 days a week? thats not natural tbh.

you get fructose from other things, just like you get carbs from things other than pasta and bread, and you get protein and calcium from things other than milk and cheese.

there's a massive resistance from people to cut anything out. they are more likely to do a ten day fast once a year and eat crap the rest of the year than slowly change their eating habits to look after their bodies more on a long term scale.

im not doing a crash diet, there is no portions, calories or any of that crap.
but i tell you what, walking into food places and seeing that EVERYTHING on offer is carbs/dairy is now pretty funny.

plus- part of this regime im on is to eat whatever you like one day a week to spike your blood sugar, so its not as limiting as you think.
tbh I have noticed i look different after 2 and a half weeks, and i have more energy when doing workouts in the morning.

edit > heres some facts for you. i prefer real humans doing things to themselves than science 'studies'
THE FORBIDDEN FRUIT: FRUCTOSE

Can fruit juice really screw up fat-loss?
Oh, yes. And it screws up so much more.

Not to speculate, I tested the effect of fructose in two tests, the first during a no-fructose diet (no juice, no fruit) and the second after one week of consuming 14 ounces - about 1.5 large glasses - of pulp-free orange juice upon waking and before bed. The orange juice was the only thing distinguishing diets A and B.

The changes were incredible.

BEFORE (10/16, no fructose) and AFTER (10/23, orange juice:

Cholesterol: 203 ~ 243 (out of "healthy" range)
LDL: 127 ~ 165 (also out of range)

There were two other values that shot up unexpectedly:

Albumin: 4.3 ~ 4.9 (out of range)
Iron: 71 ~ 191 (!) (out of range aka into the stratosphere)

Albumin binds to testosterone and renders it inert, much like SHBG (discussed in "Sex Machine") but weaker. I don't want either to be out-of-range high. Bad for the manly arts.

If you said "Holy sh*!" when you saw the iron jump, we're in the same boat. This result was completely out of the blue and is not good, especially in men. It might come as a surprise, but men don't menstruate. This means that men lack a good method for clearing out excessive iron, which can be toxic. The increase in iron was far more alarming to me than the changes in cholesterol.

Here is just one of several explanations from the research literature:

"In addition to contributing to metabolic abnormalities, the consumption of fructose has been reported to affect homeostasis of numerous trace elements. Fructose has been shown to increase iron absorption in humans and experimental animals. Fructose intake (also) decreases the activity of the copper enzyme superoxide dismutase (SOD) and reduces the concentration of serum and hepatic copper."

The moral of the story? Don't drink fruit juice, and absolutely avoid a high-fructose diet. It doesn't do the body good.
and yes, i understand im not male and so not as much of a risk for high iron being bad. :P
mrj

Post by mrj »

well i never suggested eating only fruit. but eating 2 serves of fruit and vegetables a day is pretty agreed upon as the right way to go. its in the national health guidelines for example.

and cmon GK but lol at not trusting studies. proper medical studies are conducted with proper research methods using large sample populations, and have to stand up to research standards so they can be included in medical journals etc.

one persons experience is not evidence for anything in particular, I'm pretty sure you know this.

the formula for a healthy weight is the same as it has been forever, eat moderate portions of all kinds of fresh healthy food, limit fat and sugar (but don't cut it out) and exercise regularly. the rest is garbage made up to sell stuff to people.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

mrj wrote:well i never suggested eating only fruit. but eating 2 serves of fruit and vegetables a day is pretty agreed upon as the right way to go. its in the national health guidelines for example.

and cmon GK but lol at not trusting studies. proper medical studies are conducted with proper research methods using large sample populations, and have to stand up to research standards so they can be included in medical journals etc.

one persons experience is not evidence for anything in particular, I'm pretty sure you know this.

the formula for a healthy weight is the same as it has been forever, eat moderate portions of all kinds of fresh healthy food, limit fat and sugar (but don't cut it out) and exercise regularly. the rest is garbage made up to sell stuff to people.

agreed! i am changing some bad foods for other food options that are better for me at the moment and feeling better for it, but not cutting anything out per se, just reducing the bad for the good!
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

That example is nice GK, but it doesn't really show much.

It's just some assumptions about what might have happened.

It could be to do with Fructose, but it could just as easily be to do with having over 500% of the RDI of vitamin C each day. Or something else. Or the difference in meals during the two weeks. Or just something to do with his personal reactions to something in the juice.
Don't hate me for house
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

andrew gaze told me to eat fruit so i will.

anyway.
1.5 large glasses - of pulp-free orange juice upon waking and before bed
why would you do that normally?
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

mrj wrote:well i never suggested eating only fruit. but eating 2 serves of fruit and vegetables a day is pretty agreed upon as the right way to go. its in the national health guidelines for example.

i simply meant i cant be fucked finding a nice study to back up what im doing for you :P

im eating a fuckload more than 2 serves of vegies a day. and nobody is trying to sell me anything. the book that info was from is a best seller and thousands of people have lost a fuckload of wieght following this diet.
however, what works for one person doesnt necessarily work for another.

if you must know the real reason that im doing this is that I have felt lately like much of my life is out of my control. and being a control freak, i decided to try this diet for 4 weeks and see if i noticed anything different. i may not, and i may go back to eating the 2 pieces of fruit a day, bread every day and carbs with each and every meal i was eating before. but i tell you what, two weeks of not eating cheese and it now tastes like a mouthful of fat to me, so when my trolley used to feature 5 cheese products each week, i think that might be permanently changed after only this short experiment

but in all areas of life, complacency is my greatest fear. so im just challenging myself with food for a while, and all i can say is i have no more 'food guilt' which i have battled with since i was young. i used to be quite overweight, verging on obese, and i am just going further down the road of experimentation because i feel i have conquered the getting fit thing, its now part of my routine, so im kinda bored, and i need more of a challenge.

and i might also say - both you boys are tall and thin, but if being a muscly guy was your thing, the same book has ways to do that in a short amount of time with little excercise. take it from a woman who has always had bootay, hearing that 'genetics do NOT dictate health/body shape' is pretty liberating.

i have been eating to those 'guidelines' for much of my life, and i work out 3-4 times a week, and i walk/run the pooch every day....but i want to DRAMATICALLY change....

:fire:

hugh - lots of people drink juice dude, often instead of water.
anyway dudes, forget the figures i posted. im not even telling you what book it is. this is my journey, my experiment, and im in the health thread talking to my peers. so yeah.
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

May detox for me. no booze, no fatty fatties etc. oh so needed.
sif i'm going to elaborate with all you neggy kharnts about though. :lol:

edit: totes unnecessary to feel the need to judge and/or defend what makes someone feel good. different bodies react differently to different things imo. no prescription is right for everyone, just do what make you feel good. like snapping people's jocks, eating pingers instead of drinking, or making croissants on the weekend with 2 tonnes of butter. each to their own yanno.
Last edited by witty_pseudonym on Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrj

Post by mrj »

huge wrote:andrew gaze told me to eat fruit so i will.

anyway.
1.5 large glasses - of pulp-free orange juice upon waking and before bed
why would you do that normally?
lol, can you imagine the sugar rush/crazy dreams. i'd be kicking the wall all night.
retzie

Post by retzie »

+1 to wot J said. (Edit: the smrt bit, not ^that.)
It might come as a surprise, but men don't menstruate. This means that men lack a good method for clearing out excessive iron, which can be toxic.
Sorry, but that is an absolute crock of shit. I'm surprised there's no mention of blood-letting. Menstruation as a method to 'clear out excessive iron'?? Errrrrr, how about the entire red blood cell life cycle? Dead red blood cells (along with their haemoglobin, along with its iron) are cleared out every time you take a dump :D

Medical research is just making the process rigorous. It's not like their experiments are performed in a death chamber on alien foetuses. It's a matter of collating information, noticing trends, identifying outliers. A single data point is just that: information about that specific single person. If you want to inform yourself about possible benefits to your person, you will be best served by a spread of information.

GK, it's great that you have found something to try and seem to be getting something out of it (on a number of levels.) 'Unfortunately,' I think the matter at hand is very very boring: eating healthy and exercising as a permanent lifestyle choice is not very exciting. Vast numbers of people want a way to speed it up, get around it, earn some sort of permanent Rating 1 for life, so they will buy books like this. Fuck, a lot people buy the bible too, doesn't mean it's not also a crock of shit whose main purpose is to give people something to think about rather than the boring facts.

And it might be liberating to hear that genetics don't dictate body shape... except it's a lie. Genetics dictate a fucking lot about body shape. They absolutely don't determine that you will be overweight or unfit, but I ain't turning into a 6'3" glamazon if I ditch the fructose. (Or being less of a dick: genetics play a fundamental role in build, location of fat stores, shape/type of muscle composition.)

I mean, fuck yes, you should absolutely embrace your agency in your physical being, but aim for feeling good and being able to do the things you want - if you've got both, who the fuck cares what you look like?

Sorry if this sounds insensitive, but watching someone utterly gorgeous and wonderful battle an eating disorder for a solid decade, up to and including hospitalisation, has made me loathe this entire industry and how it preys upon peoples insecurities.
deviant wrote:I'm some sort of man-machine.
mrj

Post by mrj »

and im sorry if you feel like were ganging up on you GK, thats not what we are aiming for.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

retzie wrote: Medical research is just making the process rigorous. It's not like their experiments are performed in a death chamber on alien foetuses. It's a matter of collating information, noticing trends, identifying outliers. A single data point is just that: information about that specific single person. If you want to inform yourself about possible benefits to your person, you will be best served by a spread of information.

GK, it's great that you have found something to try and seem to be getting something out of it (on a number of levels.) 'Unfortunately,' I think the matter at hand is very very boring: eating healthy and exercising as a permanent lifestyle choice is not very exciting. Vast numbers of people want a way to speed it up, get around it, earn some sort of permanent Rating 1 for life, so they will buy books like this. Fuck, a lot people buy the bible too, doesn't mean it's not also a crock of shit whose main purpose is to give people something to think about rather than the boring facts.

And it might be liberating to hear that genetics don't dictate body shape... except it's a lie. Genetics dictate a fucking lot about body shape. They absolutely don't determine that you will be overweight or unfit, but I ain't turning into a 6'3" glamazon if I ditch the fructose. (Or being less of a dick: genetics play a fundamental role in build, location of fat stores, shape/type of muscle composition.)

I mean, fuck yes, you should absolutely embrace your agency in your physical being, but aim for feeling good and being able to do the things you want - if you've got both, who the fuck cares what you look like?

Sorry if this sounds insensitive, but watching someone utterly gorgeous and wonderful battle an eating disorder for a solid decade, up to and including hospitalisation, has made me loathe this entire industry and how it preys upon peoples insecurities.
I hear you retzie, i do.
and lol at becoming a 6'3 glamazon, thats not gonna happen here either...but when you eat healthy and work out and still feel like a chubbly bubbly then there is things you can do to change how you feel, thats all.

I have done a lot of research, and the 'book' i read isnt selling anything, not body image, none of it, its merely a model that has worked for lots of people and so i'm trying it. I have struggled with body image my entire life, im just trying to feel good about the process and feel like I can control what im taking in etc

mrj - its all good, its just funny how people lately have been treating me like im some kind of freak for not eating bread. and tbh its mainly bread that im missing.
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

witty_pseudonym wrote: or making croissants on the weekend with 2 tonnes of butter.
wasnt just any old butter either.

huge
old boy

Post by huge »

fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

ghetto kitty wrote:edit > heres some facts for you. i prefer real humans doing things to themselves than science 'studies'
i was drinking quite a lot of orange juice and dr pepper for a while but then i stopped. am still not thin. i want a refund.
nic

Post by nic »

you introduced me to dr pepper
:(

i cant stop on a sat/sun morn now

some funnie ideas about balanced diets around lol
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

duppies any hangover, morning sugar rush mandem
nic

Post by nic »

when do i get muscley tho?
im still waiting
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

i walked past a sandwich bar and then a pie face and nearly cried today.

i want to eat crispy, crunchy, fluffy bread or golden brown pastry so bad its not funny.

got wieghed and measured by PT tuesday - not one change, not one, after 3 weeks. starting to think new regime is bunkum. and of course, I admit it here where yall are gonna say 'told ya so kitteh"

but :(
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

i had the best almond croissant from the markets today. best.

pulled pork sammich on the menu today as usual at mule if you feel like breaking bad.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

urghghghghghghhghg - want both of those things so bad hugh!

one more week - then im off to see a chinese doctor to ask wtf...
witty_pseudonym

^ will get you details of my mate's if you like. he sounds pretty awes. fourth generation styles of sommat.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

could be goods....i have one from kev too who is in my hood and has been fixing his bad health crapola for a year or so now.

i srsly am really happy today but the thought if a sandwich is making me all teary. :lol:

jeebus.
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

ghetto kitty wrote:i walked past a sandwich bar and then a pie face and nearly cried today.

i want to eat crispy, crunchy, fluffy bread or golden brown pastry so bad its not funny.

got wieghed and measured by PT tuesday - not one change, not one, after 3 weeks. starting to think new regime is bunkum. and of course, I admit it here where yall are gonna say 'told ya so kitteh"

but :(
muscle weighs more than fat - most probably you are more ripped.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

but no change in measurements feigs?
Sociopathic

Post by Sociopathic »

I don't think 3 weeks is really enough time to start saying whether something works or doesn't work.
The body needs time to adjust and work out wtf is going on first and then results will start to follow.

It's not like on biggest looser where you're trapped in a house with no work no computer no tv and working out something stupid like 6hrs a day.
You still have to go to work and have a life so effects are never gonna be as quick.

If you're happy with how you're feeling then I'd say stick it out a bit longer and just wait and see.
What did you PT say about the no results? were they concerned?

I'd be more judging how the new fangled diet is going by things like energy levels, sleeping habbits and of all things going to the toilet.

I personally am not a fan of cutting out entire food groups from my diet, not even sugars or fats but thats just me.
I don't like the idea or making myself miss out on something I just think fuck it, I'll have that and then tomorrow i'll walk to and from work instead of just from.
That said though as long as you don't feel like absolute crap and are still getting all the important essential vitamins and minerals the body needs then thats fine I spose.
The fridge is angry, the cheese told me so.

Watch out for the penguins, they are comming
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

GK - agree with Feigs, turned what fat you have left to muscle so maybe measurement change would not show. Sounds silly but could be true

to be honest, you look amazing and you sound like you feel better, so maybe you just need to resolve to be okay with those last couple of kilos? maybe its mental more than physical? Cos honestly, you do look smashing! :D
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

socio - PT said its suprising tbh, this is measuring after 6 weeks of loads of working out, and now full on diet for 3 weeks and no change. its a bit wierd tbh! only thing left thats bad to lose is booze - and thats just NOT possible right now, not completely. its been 6 months of training hard and no change. hence why im trying to fast track now.

rizkins - thanks lady, i do feel 100x better than i did before this whole - lets get fit n healthy thing...i guess im just an intense person and i dont do anything by halves and i guess its become another thing i push n push at!

its just wierd that i lost 9 kilos in a year with only working out, and now the last 5 is being a stubborn bitch.
i dont want to be little, i never will be, just in proportion! (little bewbs hehe)

anyhow, i'm going on a date tonight and im eating wtf i want. i do NOT want to be a wanna be model annoying 'oh oh i cant at that' person. ever.

I LOVE FOODSSS!
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Lizkins wrote:GK - agree with Feigs, turned what fat you have left to muscle so maybe measurement change would not show. Sounds silly but could be true
Unfortunately not so.

Depends where they're measuring though. Women tend to store fat in certain areas, thighs, ass, cans (on some women)... With men it's more the gut.

And if muscle ways more than fat (which it does), it takes less muscle mass to replace the same weight as the fat that has supposedly been burnt off... meaning your measurements would drop.

I feel your pain though GK. You work hard, you just want to see results. Sure you feel good, but you want the results to go with it - which will only make you feel even better. It can be a slow process, but it's a healthy, positive and beneficial process - stick with it.
nic

Post by nic »

r u doing cardio as well?

i would serously not recommend a chinese doctor for anything lol
scam

99% jiggery pokery hocus pocus blockhead made up wizard shit

eat this herb, lol yuk im better
:placeboed:
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

ghetto kitty wrote:got wieghed and measured by PT tuesday - not one change, not one, after 3 weeks. starting to think new regime is bunkum. and of course, I admit it here where yall are gonna say 'told ya so kitteh"

soz to hear it tho.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

direkt - yup totally, for now im sticking with it...

nic - DERP. chinese doctors are awesome. ffs western medicine for all its goodness also has a focus on singular symptoms and nothing holistic, with its penchant for anti biotics is total crap imho.

i ate pizza last night. not only did it make me instantly sleepy at 7pm, but i had crazy dreams, drank 3 bottles of water during the night and slept 10 hours.
wow cheese. i used to poo hoo the hippies i know who said cheese was so bad, but man i really felt it last night...

fuck the pizza was good though, id been craving it a month heheh
witty_pseudonym

detox began yesterday with the hangover to end all hangovers.
i welcome thee with open arms clear mind and productive weekends!!!
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

I'm so over doctors in general, they so rarely have any empathy. The problem with conventional medicine is the doctors are over-worked, under-paid and 9 times out of 10 dont give a fuck and just want you out of their office within a 10 minute window. They don't know you.

they don't have any idea what your diet is like, what your lifestyle is like and with so many illnessess these days being a result of stress in one form or another - they are incapable of prescribing anything of any value.

I have seen homeopathists and naturopaths who, without any science required, have nailed my problems in one. Prior to that I had spent years with my GP who didn't have a clue and kept prescribing strong corticosteroids which have weakened my immune system long-term and made the problem worse.

A holistic approach to medicine is paramount IMO.
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
Sociopathic

Post by Sociopathic »

URGH!! Health is non-exsistant right now. It's unhealth.
Stupid cold stupid head feeling like its going to explode.

YI I have the same problem with doctos. I used to see a GREAT guy in Ivanhoe he actually listened, understood usually tried not to give me meds but give me alternatives to try instead unless it was something that actually needed meds. Then he moved, he didn't tell me, and I don't know where to :(. Now I just find doctors couldn't even be arsed listening to me and just lecture me on the obvious things like I don't already know them Gee thank you mr/Mrs GP I had no idea this can contribute to this and this, I mean spending 6 years of my life dealing with Oncologists, heamotologists and 4 years prior to that dealing with Neurologists and Rehab specialists wouldn't have taught me that at all... CONSIDERING IT'S THEIR SPECIALTY AREA!
I've given up with doctors now and very rarely see the same one twice and try to only go when really really nessisary.

Having a cold at the moment sux, it's def just a cold not the flu seeing as I am still a fully functioning human being who is attending meetings writing emails etc etc. It never ceases to amaze me though how many people say "oh you should go see a doctor you sound terrible"
What the hell is seeing a doctor over the common cold going to acheive? A doctors bill and a letter saying "get rest, take some cold and flu tabs and drink plenty of fluids" I can write that letter myself...
The fridge is angry, the cheese told me so.

Watch out for the penguins, they are comming
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

youthful_implants wrote:doctors are over-worked, under-paid.
They may work pretty long days, but I don't think they're under paid are they?
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

That would depend on how much you think they should be paid!

I think they usually get overtime though right? So I doubt they could be underpaid???
Don't hate me for house
quick

Post by quick »

so, 1 month of

- less booze (and i mean less, no drinking at home, at least 2 days off a week, and less when i go out, noticeably less)

- no junk food (except 2 slices of pizza when wasted last weekend... was at end of massive session and it was ordered by mates... oh well)

- no fizzy drinks and heaps less juice, and heaps more water, HEAPS MORE! I like it now Dan! :P

and - cooking at least 3 times a week and taking my lunch to work and eating lots of fresh vegies and stuff...

do i feel better? dunno tbh, maybe a bit... i have had lots of flemmy crap come out of me lol... i thought that was supposed to happen when u quit ciggies... wonder if its the same thing? also i have cut down on cigs... a bit (never smoke heaps anyway, 1 pack a week... standard)
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

well done quickster. its the little tweaks, that kept up over a long time, that wil make you healthy in the end.
we all have our little vices, for some people its chocolate, for others its pizza.

Well ive decided its the alcohol that fucking with me. it must be.

4 glasses of wine at gallery opening last night - not even drunk and there's 800 calories.
sheesh.

hoping my scooter will mane ill be more inclined to go to work at night, drink a coffee instead of booze, schmooze and ride home.