the news thread

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
aroes

Re: the news thread

Post by aroes »

sick of hearing about it

we've known for ages that nixon is an erratic weirdo

we've known for ages that the chick involved is a horrid skank

entire thing is bloody farcical
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

nic wrote:sexual predators
come to daddy.
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
youthful_implants

aroes wrote:we've known for ages that the chick involved is a horrid skankl
this. who cares if he banged her? why should that affect his career?

the idea that footy players and their respective managers and executives should be paragons of virtue just because they play sport and are loved by fans of differing age groups is ridiculous.

the whole tabloid media projection of "role modelling" is ridiculous. kids respect players who play well, not because they're saints off the pitch.

the way the right wing media both in TV and in the papers dictate the moral high ground shits me to tears. Its so condescending.
Strontium Music

Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

aroes wrote:sick of hearing about it

we've known for ages that nixon is an erratic weirdo

we've known for ages that the chick involved is a horrid skank

entire thing is bloody farcical

what a douche bag - oh i am so sorry for taking alcohol to the hotel room of the 17 year old girl who is claiming rape allegations against some of the players i manage.

arseclown and then some
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
mrj

Post by mrj »

im sick of hearing about the exploits of people who have no relevance. I could give a rats arse what these sports people, sports indsutry people, movie stars, politicans, or teenage skanks get up to behind closed doors, with the door open, on the blacony or in the pool.

Egypt's regime change, Libyan protests etc, this is news. This other stuff is def not.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
youthful_implants

mrj wrote:im sick of hearing about the exploits of people who have no relevance. I could give a rats arse what these sports people, sports indsutry people, movie stars, politicans, or teenage skanks get up to behind closed doors, with the door open, on the blacony or in the pool.

Egypt's regime change, Libyan protests etc, this is news. This other stuff is def not.
:clap:
Strontium Music

ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

^^^ agree 100%..
deviant

Post by deviant »

yep... private live are just that... why would I care more about a sports star's private affairs than Joe Bloggs from down the street's infidelities etc etc??

It's actually kind of annoying to me that know so much about famous people... useless information filling up my brian where useful and meaningful information could be.
almax

Post by almax »

mrj wrote:im sick of hearing about the exploits of people who have no relevance. I could give a rats arse what these sports people, sports indsutry people, movie stars, politicans, or teenage skanks get up to behind closed doors, with the door open, on the blacony or in the pool.

totes.

It has me wondering what is the motivation behind printing such stories with such vigor?(front page etc)
Like all websites these days, they must be able to pull reports on what stories are getting read the most, what links are being clicked...

So is this just a reflection of what our society is actually interested in?
Thats what's scary imo
youthful_implants

almax wrote:

totes.

It has me wondering what is the motivation behind printing such stories with such vigor?(front page etc)
Like all websites these days, they must be able to pull reports on what stories are getting read the most, what links are being clicked...

Thats what's scary imo
its this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult_of_celebrity
Strontium Music

Feigan

Post by Feigan »

what about Warnie?
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

almax wrote:

totes.

Thats what's scary imo
society is TOLD that's worthy news, and as Dan said, their brains are filled up with the crap stuff and the 'you must care about these people's lives more than your own' so that they dont question, dont discuss, anything of importance.

the media makes this 'cult of celebrity' and those people who choose to dwell more in denial of the bigger picture, and just put their head down and live day to day eat it up.

Putting Warney et all on the front page means Egypt and other things can conveniently go a few pages back, where by the time people get to it, they have news fatigue and cant really delve into it.
it makes me laugh but its very fucknig sad too.
its easier to voice an opinion on these wankers' bed stories than actual issues etc
deviant

Post by deviant »

I don't think you can say either way 100% tbh... there's a measure of both going on (being feed & supply/demand etc).
youthful_implants

ghetto kitty wrote:
almax wrote:

totes.

Thats what's scary imo
society is TOLD that's worthy news, and as Dan said, their brains are filled up with the crap stuff and the 'you must care about these people's lives more than your own' so that they dont question, dont discuss, anything of importance.

the media makes this 'cult of celebrity' and those people who choose to dwell more in denial of the bigger picture, and just put their head down and live day to day eat it up.

Putting Warney et all on the front page means Egypt and other things can conveniently go a few pages back, where by the time people get to it, they have news fatigue and cant really delve into it.
it makes me laugh but its very fucknig sad too.
its easier to voice an opinion on these wankers' bed stories than actual issues etc
it dumbs down society, makes it slow and docile.

agree with Dan, its a question of demand as much as anything. people really are fascinated by this trivial stuff.
Strontium Music

deviant

Post by deviant »

If you start accupying your mind with actual issues, you can get depressed, anxious or be called to action etc.

Filling your day/attention with this other crap stops you from having to emotionally or responsibly deal with the real issues in your own mind. Just like a drug addict/alcoholic etc. it's purely escapism.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

exactly.

um, thought thats what i was saying. people want to NOT think, the media helps them do so.

doesnt make it awesome.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

lol i was just about to say the only reason i read that tripe is when i want to switch off brain. hahah oh dear...
click here fo fotos
youthful_implants

deviant wrote:If you start accupying your mind with actual issues, you can get depressed, anxious or be called to action etc.
so true as well.

but I think with knowledge of the bigger picture also comes responsibility. when you know what the big issues are, then most people, if they're compassionate, feel to start trying to do something about them too.

even if its just minor things like voting or contributing to charity of whatever. that can alleviate whatever bad feelings about the state of things in general you may have.

plenty of things to be optimistic about in real news too. the political situation in Egypt being one of them.
Strontium Music

ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

youthful_implants wrote:
deviant wrote:If you start accupying your mind with actual issues, you can get depressed, anxious or be called to action etc.
but I think with knowledge of the bigger picture also comes responsibility. when you know what the big issues are, then most people, if they're compassionate, feel to start trying to do something about them too.
yes, and then the realization that many of these problems are bigger than we know how to deal with leads to "Ohh look another footballer paedo, im going to judge the situation and take a moral standpoint cos it's way easier than anything else"

one of my favorite phrases is

total freedom = total responsibility.

and for most people, while they might be compassionate, this is too big and nebulous and scary for them to act on it every day.
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

Looks like another big earthquake has hit Christchurch

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4688231/Large-qu ... ristchurch

Friends of mine say it felt quite strong all the way up in Wellington
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

huge
old boy

Post by huge »

ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

jeebus christ.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

apophenian wrote:Looks like another big earthquake has hit Christchurch

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4688231/Large-qu ... ristchurch

Friends of mine say it felt quite strong all the way up in Wellington

:(
click here fo fotos
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

what a worry... my family are all OK thank goodness but my mum sounded panicked. she is a senior nurse and felt like she should go to hospital but was too scared to go out ...
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

65 Dead so far.

Holy fark. :(
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

:( fuck.
deviant

Post by deviant »

worst... I was on the tissues last night.. devastating shit :'(
FoundationStepper

my sisters house has fully collapsed in, thank goodness she wasn't at home at the time... the practical things like sewerage seem to be a real issue - can't use toilet, shower or anything... its going to be a very long time before things are working. lyttleton sounds fucked, i don't think there is a lot of media from there with a focus on the CBD instead, but its worse hit. the volcano cafe is gone for those that know it! this one was shallow so much more violent, the richter isn't really a good description of intensity when thinking distance and depth I guess. can't really contact my dad or mum as cellphones are mainly down, but at least know they are uninjured.
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

So sad. Lyttleton is such a beautiful little town. Did the tunnel survive?
...................................................................................................................................................
no more epilepsy raptor jesus
FoundationStepper

tunnel is closed, no reports on damage. it might be just a precaution. they've just opened the sumner road which provides first access from town...
FoundationStepper

I'm starting to get overwhelmed
:retzienolike:
youthful_implants

I'm sorry man. Is that your hometown?
Strontium Music

FoundationStepper

yeah

i think I'll be hosting my sisters over here, its not going to recover for a long long time
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

so sorry to hear FS :(

got all clear on my bosses family. one nephew walked over 12kms to get home from school. they only just found out he was okay

waiting to hear how my mate's family are at the moment

so upsetting :(
click here fo fotos
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

thoughts are with everyone who has family & friends there. glad they are safe and not hurt FS.
deviant

Post by deviant »

I've never been there... but (apart from the earthquake damage) Chch looks like a really nice place.
FoundationStepper

lyttleton is (was) kind of like the back streets behind salamanca - little workers cottages/terraces on hills.
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

It really is quite astounding, what's happening across the globe at the moment. I think it's forcing us into a very different space tbh. Hopefully a compassionate world will bring about compassionate change as we all come together in times of significant grief and uprising. It's like we're being brought together to unite in times of crisis. Learning about tyranny and oppression in places a lot of us never knew much about or paid much attention to, reaching out to neighbours and being deeply affected by the suffering of others. It goes to show that we don't need to experience such tragedy first hand to be severely affected by it. I think this is a time where borders are broken down and people become united as people, regardless of the imaginary boundaries we create around ourselves and others. Those that remain ignorant to it will be left out of something bigger than we can really comprehend.

Anyway...
Libia is becoming seriously scary as well...not that it's easy to find anything on it in Australian news today.
Gaddafi has completely lost the plot and the wave of refugees about to flood Europe will be immense.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/fe ... t-showdown
spiral

Post by spiral »

witty_pseudonym wrote:

Anyway...
Libia is becoming seriously scary as well...not that it's easy to find anything on it in Australian news today.
Gaddafi has completely lost the plot and the wave of refugees about to flood Europe will be immense.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/fe ... t-showdown
yeah he is threatening to blow oil wells and turn libya into the next somalia with years of civil war
http://www.time.com/time/world/article/ ... 61,00.html
witty_pseudonym

heard on bbc radio that he decided cut oil supplies to switzerland after his son was charged with beating a servant there. total despot freak. this was some time ago, but i'm really struggling to understand how and why the west propped him up for as long as they did. :x
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

Gaddafi is a complete nutter. has jets bombing tripoli n shit
FoundationStepper

wasn't he public enemy number 1 until saddam fell out of favour? we did cut him off for years until he 'made good' by canning his nuke ambitions etc, at which point we was at least talked to. I'm not sure the 'propping up' of the west argument is a truism here?
deviant

Post by deviant »

sbs has the best network news coverage in aus imo
witty_pseudonym

ok, perhaps not propped up, but certainly tolerated. but it appears that this has been the case across the whole region. accepting regimes in an attempt to maintain the status quo, keeping despots on side so they don't pursue nuclear objectives and give us their oil. total hypocrisy! then we're very quick to condemn what's been simmering for years but perhaps not been made public.
FoundationStepper

im not sure what the alternatives are - its either ignore/put up with, trade barriers, or all out attacking... i guess it stinks when we disapprove of a country but still trade with it (with some conditions), but perhaps its the better option than going to arms, or leaving them alone (north korea) to pursue whatever nefarious aims they have?
witty_pseudonym

there really isn't much of an alternative i suppose. a country's sovereignty has to be respected regardless of its politics. until there is a vested interest then generally nothing will happen...ie. north korea, zimbabwe, the middle east while the oil flowed and a semblance of stability existed.
FoundationStepper

yeah us democratic whiteys aren't really the world police