The Book thread...

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
Feigan

Re: The Book thread...

Post by Feigan »

Lizkins wrote:reading Dead Man Running, tis about the Bandidos. So far there have been these moments like :shock: and others time its been :o

really good read so far, and i tell you this book gives such a good background history to Melbourne, Australia and America re bikie gangs and underworld crime that may not have hit the news.
Is this the one about the guy who never got patched and turned informant?
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

ghetto kitty wrote:My reading habit is ridiculous. There is not enough books in the world.
Recent fiction highlights that you should buy from a local independent bookshop :|

Sunset Park - Paul Auster
How It Feels - Brendan Cowell
Dark Matter - Michelle Paver
Exley - Brock Clarke
Convalescent - Jessica Anthony
The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well
Brain

Post by Brain »

ghetto kitty wrote:recently -
"Water For elephants"- Sara Gruen. awesome. about the carni/circus world in america in the 30's-40's, which was brutal and unforgiving, rough and terrifying. great characters, loved it.

"Burnt Shadows' - Kamila Shamsie. Loved this one, beautifully written and poignant story. one of those ones that weaves through time and places effortlessly, draws you right in. highly reccommend.

bought off ebay and re read all of Jeff Noon's books. Vurt really is a masterpiece but he kind of pushes the envelope of his ideas in Pollen heheh still mega fun though.

Tried to read the first of Neal Stephenson's Baroque trilogy, too heavy for bed, kept knocking me out. Will read upright one day.

finished Steig Larsson trilogy yesterday. Took me two weeks to do the last two books. Have been up till 3am every night reading the last one. Loved it.

and am now reading "the Slap" - great so far, Again, love any books set in melbourne and love stories told from different viewpoints, but its only gonna last the week.

browsing amazon or fishpond seems to get me nowhere, so srsly, i have been through all 15 pages of this thread tonight, realised that I have read most of the fiction mentioned by everyone and ordered 7 reccommedations I haven't read to keep me going through summer.

Under The Skin - Michael Faber
The End of Mr Y - Scarlette Thomas
The Quiet Girl - Peter Hoeg
The Passage - Justin Cronin
Hearts & minds - Amanda Craig
The post birthday world- Lionel Shriver
Kandy-Kolored Tangerine-Flake Streamline Baby - Tom Wolfe

My reading habit is ridiculous. There is not enough books in the world.
Hey Kitty

My next recommendation is the Martin Beck police procedural series. There are ten of them in all, written in the sixties and seventies by the Swedish husband-wife writing team of Maj Sjowall and Per Wahloo. Normally I wouldn't read this stuff but the writing style is great, the characterisation brilliant, the plots awesome and the humor as black as can be. The writers were also Marxists so they have an interesting take on society. And read them in order because the characters develop a lot over time. Anyway, they might keep you busy for a couple of days.

Roseanna
The Man who Went Up in Smoke
The Man on the Balcony
The Laughing Policeman
The Fire Engine That Disappeared
Murder at the Savoy
The Abominable Man
The Locked Room
Cop Killer
The Terrorists

All available from Brunswick Bound of course.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

Feigan wrote:
Lizkins wrote:reading Dead Man Running, tis about the Bandidos. So far there have been these moments like :shock: and others time its been :o

really good read so far, and i tell you this book gives such a good background history to Melbourne, Australia and America re bikie gangs and underworld crime that may not have hit the news.
Is this the one about the guy who never got patched and turned informant?

yep, that be the one, Steven Utah. i keep thinking of Point Break when i read the name
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Thanks for the reccomendations brain and QR, will definately check em out when i get through this next lot. I'm not usually into the crime genre, but good writers are good writers, and i have enjoyed a number of good crime writers recently.
quiet roar wrote:
ghetto kitty wrote:My reading habit is ridiculous. There is not enough books in the world.
Recent fiction highlights that you should buy from a local independent bookshop :|
to this, I got 7 books for $100 from Ebay rob, when books from bookstores are mostly $25- $30 each.

When i go through 1-2 a week, my reading habit is not financially viable from bookstores, just like putting on over 30's events is not financially viable either

;)
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

As long as you don't care that your local bookshop will go the way of your local record shop, go for it.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

could say the same about your local promoter
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

Yes, that's true. And if the local promoter provided for us older punters, I would care (and support!). As it is, I'm not too fussed because we aren't being catered for.

Are you saying your local indie bookshop is not stocking a range you like?
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

quiet roar wrote:Yes, that's true. And if the local promoter provided for us older punters, I would care (and support!). As it is, I'm not too fussed because we aren't being catered for.

oh what a crock of shit dude. not too fussed but want to post n post about it? would care and support but havent been to any of the arvo gigs ive been at lately? meh! grumpy old man syndrome imho.

im saying ALL bookshops in australia are retardedly overpriced.
new bestsellers in indo were $10.

over this convo.
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

ghetto kitty wrote:
quiet roar wrote:Yes, that's true. And if the local promoter provided for us older punters, I would care (and support!). As it is, I'm not too fussed because we aren't being catered for.

oh what a crock of shit dude. not too fussed but want to post n post about it? would care and support but havent been to any of the arvo gigs ive been at lately? meh! grumpy old man syndrome imho.

im saying ALL bookshops in australia are retardedly overpriced.
new bestsellers in indo were $10.

over this convo.
I thought I was supposed to be the grumpy one....

I'll admit book prices are fairly high in australia but that isn't because booksellers are making a killing, it's just the economies of scale so there isn't much we can do about it. So it goes back to my original comment that if you don't care about indie bookshops disappearing, then fair enough, keep on buying your books over the net.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

you guys - "The Slap' is totally awesome.

up there with Monkey Grip as one of the great books set in Melbourne imho.

Read It. I was up till 2am again. :)
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

reading Holy Cow, so far i am staying awake for a more pages of reading cos i like it. Still woke up with book on my face a few hours later, but nonetheless, i read more pages, so it gets a thumbs up

want to get - "Hey you in the black t-shirt" next. Its by Michael Chugg who manages and promotes acts, and he tells some crazy arse stories about what happened behind closed doors when big acts came to town. Like one major singer back in the day who soaked their clothes in coke before walking on stage lol must read
click here fo fotos
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

ghetto kitty wrote:you guys - "The Slap' is totally awesome.
I haven't read it, yet but it definitely splits people: some love it, others either hate it, or don't get what all the hoo-ha is about. The main criticism seems to be that all of the characters are awful so it's hard to read and be interested when you dislike everybody in the book. Did you find them all repulsive?
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

well some of them are awful. Rosie and her breastfeeding/neediness/husband made me feel sick to the stomach...
and Harry was pretty hard to stomach too, but I liked some of the others....

and i like the honesty. the rawness. some of my favorite movies are about the fucked up sides of 'normal' suburban society (happiness, american beauty etc)
so books like this appeal to me i guess.

they make me feel normal hahaha
gnat

Post by gnat »

been on the read too:

finally persevered long enough to get past the odd swedish names in first stieg larsson book. was good. wouldn't get too excited but it was good enough to give the next one a go

on the other hand by chris cleave about a couple plagued by an 'event' on a nigerian beach years prior. The arrival of an African girl who was there throws their lives into new turmoil. gripping. really enjoyed this one. recommend

i see you everywhere by julia glass about the bind susters share. thought this was going to be crappy chick lit but it was really good. fucking massive twist in it. well written. will look for more of her stuff now
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

i loved 'the other hand' gnatty!
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

Currently reading this:

Is :shock: :( :shock:
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
mrj

Post by mrj »

gnat wrote:. fucking massive twist in it.
that must make it difficult to read. maybe iron the pages or something, that should help.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

not sure if i've recommended it previously, but d.b.c. pierre's "lights out in wonderland" is a cracking read.
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Post by great_magnet »

system wrote:not sure if i've recommended it previously, but d.b.c. pierre's "lights out in wonderland" is a cracking read.
Seconded. Big return to form. Dark, poignant, wistful and wise. Best thing I have read since Jonathan Lethem's 'Fortress of Solitude'.
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
This ain't no foolin' around
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

Wow, big call, GM!

I liked it, too, but not that much.
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Post by great_magnet »

quiet roar wrote:Wow, big call, GM!

I liked it, too, but not that much.
Purely based on the fact that I have only been reading textbooks for the last 12 months!

It's a country mile behind Lethem...
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
This ain't no foolin' around
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

this book is a literary masterpiece. damn good book.

Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
CoB

Post by CoB »

mrj wrote:
that must make it difficult to read. maybe iron the pages or something, that should help.
*facepalm*
thinkin of getting some douglas adams books out.
maybe dirk gently?
o/ . . . \o . . . -o . o- . \o/ \o/
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

CoB wrote:
mrj wrote:
*facepalm*
thinkin of getting some douglas adams books out.
maybe dirk gently?
Yes yes.

Do it.

The Long Dark Teatime of The Soul is one of my favorite books of all time. Random and funny and brilliant.
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
CoB

Post by CoB »

haave to wait til next payday, christmas killed my bank account >.<
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

hey re discussion about about costs of local books... i thought the reason it was exxy here was tarrifs / restrictions put in place by the gubbermint to ensure local printing jobs? moreso than economies of scale...

a year ago labor were looking at removing these restrictions, there was lots of argument about them being necessary to 'protect local content' (which I don't buy) but also there is a local printing press to keep in work. they bascially folded on the option due to local protectionism (cars all over again)

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/politic ... 5796727872

thats my understanding anyway
CoB

Post by CoB »

ghey.
internet wins
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

FoundationStepper wrote:there was lots of argument about them being necessary to 'protect local content' (which I don't buy)
Maybe you don't buy it because you aren't a local author looking trying to get your book published?
FoundationStepper

no as it the reasoning seemed specious given the little I understood about the topic. I didn't understand how limitations on what can be imported and when makes it more more likely for local books to be bought. if the product is attractive it should sell regardless (again its like the car thing - american/australian car companies going down becuase people didn't want the product).

thats not to say I don't value government support to local content (e.g. film grants) but I couldn't understand how restrictions around importing achieved that in the book context. I'd like it unpacked a little more explicitly though
FoundationStepper

perhaps the logic is that we all pay more for books / forced local printing etc to enable local publication (i.e. printing press) - which satisfies a labour argument. this in turn provides an avenue for local content publication?

is this is the case, it seems another pretty clear cut case of propping up delicing manufacuring that will inevitably crumble (e.g. clothes) - something I don't agree with when it 'taxes' all consumers to do so (how much does each 'job saved' cost us each year?)

the local publishing thing though - I would like to know why we need a local printing press to produce local material?
FoundationStepper

Here we go:

http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2008/s2625745.htm
The Federal Government's economic advisory body the Productivity Commission has come up with a plan to cut the cost of books.

A key plank of the plan would see the scrapping of copyright provisions which prevent the import of a title if the book is produced here. It says the current restrictions mean Australian consumers are paying up to 35 per cent more for books than readers in other countries.

Under Australia's copyright laws if a locally based publisher owns the copyright on a book other companies are barred from importing copies from overseas. It's known as a parallel import restriction.

SABRA LANE: And the higher price that consumers are paying Australia, does that money find its way into the pockets of Australian authors and publishers?

MIKE WOODS: It does to some extent but in fact we investigated that fairly closely and more of the money flows to foreign authors and publishers in fact than it does to Australian authors, Australian writers. So more of the higher-price effect flows to the benefit offshore than it does to Australian writers.
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

FoundationStepper wrote:is this is the case, it seems another pretty clear cut case of propping up delicing manufacuring that will inevitably crumble (e.g. clothes) - something I don't agree with when it 'taxes' all consumers to do so (how much does each 'job saved' cost us each year?)
Rationalist argument is rational when one only thinks of life in terms of dollars and cents (how has {will} the decline of australian manufacturing affected our lives?).
FoundationStepper

increased cost for consumables that 'improve' our quality of life also has an impact on everyone. if its really +30% this could have a significant impact in some areas too, like uni book costs for students.

the issue is less that we build a rigged system that 'protects' certain areas to a point (every country does this) its that there is no point doing this when the bigger forces of consumer choice, net access etc totally undermine those efforts. if that 'protection money' or efforts can be better/more effectively spent on another area with an actual future in australia then thats where it should go IMO

its not that cold hearted, its just recognising when we are pissing in the wind, and looking realistically at how much each job 'saved' actually costs everyone. sometimes its much more than a person in the field (thinking cars) actually earns which begs the question on whether $ are better put to something offering alternate employment/ cultural value etc
Sociopathic

Post by Sociopathic »

I dunno if I've posted this before.
But a guy call Paul Carter has 3 books out. I love him he's so funny he makes me look like a crazy person buy laighing until I cry on public transport.

He's now a former offshore and land base oil rig worker he's writen 2 books about his life on the rigs and his 3rd book is about him circumnavigating australia on a bio-oil fueled bike basically old cooking oil

1. Don't Tell Mum I Work on the Rigs...She Thinks I'm a Piano Player in a Whorehouse
2. This Is Not a Drill
3. Is That Thing Diesel?

So amazing to read and so funny.
The fridge is angry, the cheese told me so.

Watch out for the penguins, they are comming
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

Sociopathic wrote:I dunno if I've posted this before.
But a guy call Paul Carter has 3 books out. I love him he's so funny he makes me look like a crazy person buy laighing until I cry on public transport.

He's now a former offshore and land base oil rig worker he's writen 2 books about his life on the rigs and his 3rd book is about him circumnavigating australia on a bio-oil fueled bike basically old cooking oil

1. Don't Tell Mum I Work on the Rigs...She Thinks I'm a Piano Player in a Whorehouse
2. This Is Not a Drill
3. Is That Thing Diesel?

Have read the first and enjoyed it - didn't know there was two more.

will investigate.
gnat

Post by gnat »

my mum THREW OUT a massive box we lovingly packed with every enid blyton book ever written and put in her attic

THREW IT OUT

i'm steaming about it. they were for our next gen and sooo many good memories. they had my name inside the cover, then my sis crossed that out and put hers and then the little one did the same. irreplaceable imo

:angry7:
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

omg gnat that is devastating!!!!

was it you who reccomended the post birthday world?

im struggling. i cannot handle irinia's excuses for being a cheat, the poker player is not appealing at all, but the husband sounds like a wet blanket too! i dont like any of them so its hard to care if they are fucking up their lives!
gnat

Post by gnat »

it is. not even the UK has the back catalogue avail anymore wtf? those books were pivotal to my childhood. i just ordered a couple second hand off ebay but the ones i really want are now rare collecter's items. FFS

yeh i rec'd that book. i loved it bo. you don't have to like any of the characters- it's more the idea of people always seeking the greener grass, when it never is you know..
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

Shipped home many a kg of books from Indya. So cheap and such amazing variety. Hard not to go completely overboard really.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

gnat wrote: yeh i rec'd that book. i loved it bo. you don't have to like any of the characters- it's more the idea of people always seeking the greener grass, when it never is you know..
yeah i guess. i just need to like at least one of them for me to care about the turmoil they are going through! like the writing style...
gnat

Post by gnat »

there's a book called addition by toni jordan you should like bo, nervous as i am to rec you another

it's set in melbs about a girl with OCD. loved it
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

hahah dont ever be nervous about recommending me a book, i go through so many its no biggie! ;)

sounds good, i am so into anything set in melbs. :)
Sociopathic

Post by Sociopathic »

Feigan wrote:
Sociopathic wrote:I dunno if I've posted this before.

2. This Is Not a Drill
3. Is That Thing Diesel?

Have read the first and enjoyed it - didn't know there was two more.

will investigate.
Yeah I didn't either til airport and looking for something to read on the flight. I always buy something completely random from airport books stores because it's just fun. But seem him and went OMG and then laughed until I cried on the plane and on the gold coast airport training during the last one.
If you liked the first definately read the other 2 so worth it.

My freaking dog ate the middle one so I have to buy it again. Thinking of posting him somewhere now.
The fridge is angry, the cheese told me so.

Watch out for the penguins, they are comming
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

FoundationStepper wrote:increased cost for consumables that 'improve' our quality of life also has an impact on everyone. if its really +30% this could have a significant impact in some areas too, like uni book costs for students.

the issue is less that we build a rigged system that 'protects' certain areas to a point (every country does this) its that there is no point doing this when the bigger forces of consumer choice, net access etc totally undermine those efforts. if that 'protection money' or efforts can be better/more effectively spent on another area with an actual future in australia then thats where it should go IMO

its not that cold hearted, its just recognising when we are pissing in the wind, and looking realistically at how much each job 'saved' actually costs everyone. sometimes its much more than a person in the field (thinking cars) actually earns which begs the question on whether $ are better put to something offering alternate employment/ cultural value etc
As I said, very rational.

It's much easier to make calls on quantity, rather than quality, innit?
FoundationStepper

I'm not sure what your point or rebuttal is? An clear relationship between having local manufacture and having Australian content ?

I'm interested to understand the reasons people want to maintain the current case, beyond the purely instinctual. I'm a bit confused about the arguments
Last edited by FoundationStepper on Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

I am about to start reading this, the first part in the Void trilogy. I am super excited about it!

Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
mecka

Post by mecka »

I'm almost half way through Super Sad True Love Story, which is a terribly cynical look at the near future set against an awkwardly touching relationship. Heaps to say about consumerism, the global economy and technology.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

finished Holy Cow. Good read and i learnt a far bit.

I reckon i could only handle a few places in India like Kerala sounds really lovely. Chatting with work mates who come from India, they even now find it hard to go back, especially to places like Delhi which sounds mental!

would be amazing to see the clash of religions, poor and rich, beauty and devastation, etc, but think there are other places i would prefer to check out first.
click here fo fotos