The Book thread...

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Re: The Book thread...

Post by Lizkins »

finsished reading Hey you in the Black T-shirt!
by Michael Chugg

thought there would be more rad stories about crazy rock stars doing crazy stuff. there were hardly any! And some of the writing was woeful and looked like an editor had not read the story properly, odd

now reading Mao's last dancer. Really liking it so far. Always find stories about poverty stricken parts of china to be facinating to read about, their hardships are full on. I cannot comprehend how they survived it, just heart-breaking stuff
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

I didn't mind Mao's last dancer but found it a bit woe is me in parts. Definitely an amazing story by an amazing guy, but I felt it a little self congratulatory in parts. Still, a pretty good read. And agree Riz, the poverty is quite astounding. Can recommend a few others that are set in those times if you like. Very compelling.

Bought Poor Economics, More than Good Intentions and Dead Aid today. Exciting! Christ knows when I'll actually get a chance to read them though. Still have the pile I bought in India to get through.
Andrez

Post by Andrez »

quiet roar wrote: even apart from readings, there are independent bookshops in most areas of melbourne: give 'em a go.
Totally agree. These people are essential, so show your support. :clap:
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

witty_pseudonym wrote:I didn't mind Mao's last dancer but found it a bit woe is me in parts. Definitely an amazing story by an amazing guy, but I felt it a little self congratulatory in parts. Still, a pretty good read. And agree Riz, the poverty is quite astounding. Can recommend a few others that are set in those times if you like. Very compelling.

Bought Poor Economics, More than Good Intentions and Dead Aid today. Exciting! Christ knows when I'll actually get a chance to read them though. Still have the pile I bought in India to get through.

yeah cool, will chat once i get through the pile next to my bed at the moment. every time i see a book sale i buy books, so avoid the $30 price tag on most books, sheesh
click here fo fotos
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

hey readers...

the bookshop on corner of elizabeth near workshop has $2 and $3 books - new!

i bought ny next round there, got around 12 books for the price of one regular book - win!

and i got your novel in the mail pon wkend andrez - started it last night!
Brain

Post by Brain »

Am reading The Life of Samuel Johnson by James Boswell. Published in 1791 it's one of the first and greatest biographies ever written. :book:
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

Brain wrote:Am reading The Life of Samuel Johnson by James Boswell. Published in 1791 it's one of the first and greatest biographies ever written. :book:
a great man indeed.

Watch the posted video on YouTube.

DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
Brain

Post by Brain »

system wrote:
Brain wrote:Am reading The Life of Samuel Johnson by James Boswell. Published in 1791 it's one of the first and greatest biographies ever written. :book:
a great man indeed.

Watch the posted video on YouTube.

Once upon a time there was a lovely little sausage called Baldrick, and it lived happily ever after.
mecka

Post by mecka »

Reading Robopocalypse at the moment. Utterly riveting quasi-historical account of a robot uprising written in the same style as World War Z
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

ibooks is awesome.
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

Heads up, fantasy geeks!

The new George RR Martin, Dance of the Dragons is being released this friday.
The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

Info above is wrong: book out July 12th.
The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

witty_pseudonym wrote:I didn't mind Mao's last dancer but found it a bit woe is me in parts. Definitely an amazing story by an amazing guy, but I felt it a little self congratulatory in parts. Still, a pretty good read. And agree Riz, the poverty is quite astounding. Can recommend a few others that are set in those times if you like. Very compelling.

okay the woe is me parts are definitely annoying me. i have almost finished the book, and you do get a sense of poor me attitude as well as - i am awesome attitude too. Sometimes he is pretty level headed on some stuff and other parts not so much. Been a good read though.
click here fo fotos