The Book thread...

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
Polecat

Re: The Book thread...

Post by Polecat »

Nice one gnat! :)
Just because I rock, doesn't mean I'm made of stone.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

where to sell secondhand books?

quiet roar do you guys buy?
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

Not really, 'kitty. There's a second-hand bookshop that's opened up on Sydney rd, just south of Glenlyon. That's the only place around us, I think.
The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

hrmmm, what about carlton/fitzroy?
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Theres a good 2nd place on High St up towards Flinders St, just by Thornbury Station area.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

oh yer, near my house, ill drop in there first!

;)
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Thats what I thought GK. Dunno if pay much cause I've gotten some good scores from them in the past.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

'The Time Traveller's Wife' By Audrey Niffennigger
Fucking awesome. Best book I have read in ages.
About a guy who time travels involuntarily, forward and backward. Cant say anything else or ill give it away, but this really is an awesome book and i cant wait to see the movie that has just been made of it.
It reminded me a little of Benjamin Button but incredibly well written and not such a waste of my life haha
Read it.

"The forest of Hands and Teeth' by Carrie Ryan.
I love books and movies about the undead, vampires, zombies etc, but this book was pretty shit really.
I feel like she watched 'The Village" (which i loved) and then wrote a long, circular story based on it, with a lot of shit religious connotations and not much character development. If the main protagonists are gonig to die, and I dont give a shit, the author has failed imho. Got rave reviews for a debut novel, but i read it over one weekend and it didnt do much for me.

"The Daughters of Moab' by Kim Westwood
Im halfway through this, and I must say, I still have no frikking idea what is going on, but she is such a eloquent, imaginative writer that im still reading. Each page is awesome, beautiful and intriguing, but theres so many characters and plots going on Im a tad lost. Will finish when it rains one day soon.
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

ghetto kitty wrote:'The Time Traveller's Wife' By Audrey Niffennigger
About a guy who time travels involuntarily, forward and backward. Cant say anything else or ill give it away, but this really is an awesome book and i cant wait to see the movie that has just been made of it.
It reminded me a little of Benjamin Button but incredibly well written and not such a waste of my life haha
Read it.
the film is supposed to be awful, such a shame.
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Wow. Forgot about this thread.
Had a sneak look at the new Nick Cave... will probably borrow it.
He has enough money.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

youthful_implants wrote:
Read it.
oh really? well it wouldnt suprise me, book to movie is always shit isnt it.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Forrest Gump wasn't.
Don't hate me for house
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Well its the exception to the rule then, wouldn't you say?
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

I was meaning in terms of interest not invalidating your point.

Such a weird book. Pissed me off no end.

Whoever rewrote for screen did an awesome job.
Don't hate me for house
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

Hey Quiet Roar, looking for a book:

The Biological Evolution of Religious Mind and Behavior

Do you have it/know where I can find it?

:)

Almost finished 'Atlas Shrugged' by Ayn Rand. Objectionism is an odd philosophy, but I'm enjoying some of the concepts. I get the feeling that she wasn't a massive fan of communism lolz.
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

ghetto kitty wrote:
youthful_implants wrote:
Read it.
oh really? well it wouldnt suprise me, book to movie is always shit isnt it.
Outsiders. Requiem For A Dream..... I reckon theres many films that live up to and/ or exceeed the book.
gnat

Post by gnat »

just finished monkey grip. how the hell have i not read this before?

loved it. hippy love, sex and drugs in melbourne

helen garner has written such a diverse range of books!
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

I loved that book so much, did not want it to end, and I only read it last year too gnatty!

and the real life Javo lives in tassie and we went into his store! hahahh
Andrez

Post by Andrez »

gnat wrote:just finished monkey grip. how the hell have i not read this before?
Classic book, Gnat.

Also, I'm going to scale a shaky soapbox here and attempt to blow my own tuneless trumpet...
Big news for me (personally) this week is that my own novel, Tobacco-Stained Mountain Goat, is (finally!) starting to emerge from its 18-month sub-editing purgatory...

The first 2 chapters are now online as a bit of a freebie teaser here:

http://www.anothersky.org/2009/11/07/up ... -w-sample/

What's it about? God, I dunno - my editor Kristopher reckons it's "Sort of... well, indescribable, really — noir-ish, subtly sci-fi, hard boiled, futuristic. Think Blade Runner with a touch of Sam Spade, a smattering of Orson Welles circa Touch of Evil, or better yet, The Third Man. And a shot of some good bourbon."

I think he captures it better than I'd ever hope to. ;)

It's finally going to be published in paperback form in 2010... thank bloody god. The people running with it are this way cool, semi-punk publisher in the U.S. called Another Sky Press and I love 'em to death. They've become mates and almost family over the course of the past 540-odd days of fine-tuning!

Anyway, enough blabbering. If anyone here ever gets time, have a peek, download the PDF, and I hope to hell you dig...

:angel9:
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

that's really cool. have always loved the idea of writing a novel. big ups to you!

Reading Praise at the moment. It's ok, but not really going anywhere and I'm not far from the end. I'm guess something tragic will happen, as 3/4 of the book has pretty much been character development. Still, not a bad read.
Andrez

Post by Andrez »

witty_pseudonym wrote:that's really cool. have always loved the idea of writing a novel. big ups to you!
Thanks, mate!! ;)
Kaiproject

Post by Kaiproject »

3/4 of the way through Haruki Murakami's "Wind Up Bird Chronicles" and absolutely loving it.

Very surreal, quirky characters and dialogue, contemplative and philosophical. Guy's a genius and I can't believe its taken me so long to get around to picking up one of his books. I've been meaning to for a while, and the blurbs don't him justice (just focus on the sex elements to attract smutty readers or something, as usual)

Also bought the Pocket Book Of Boosh (same as the Mighty Book Of Boosh but much smaller/lighter/cheaper)
Funny shit and great photography and artwork by Noel & co. :D
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

BU Andrez, thats awesome!
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Witty - Praise is quite interesting - movie is very raw.

Andrez- how inspiring, well done on getting your book into a published state.
Interestig sales model too, I'm keen to learn more.
FullGain

Post by FullGain »

Andrez wrote: Also, I'm going to scale a shaky soapbox here and attempt to blow my own tuneless trumpet...
Big news for me (personally) this week is that my own novel, Tobacco-Stained Mountain Goat, is (finally!) starting to emerge from its 18-month sub-editing purgatory...

Downloaded and taking a teabreak from reading. excellent dude.
I'll be back.
Andrez

Post by Andrez »

Wow. Appreciated, all (another way of saying "thanks, mates", but I didn't wanna repeat myself :roll: ).
Blaxter, yep, I agree - very interesting concept they have at Another Sky, built on trust in human nature. Quite contrary to 99.9% of other current models!
Gotta hand it to them for that, plus their anti-major publishing stance and their absolute support of the creative people concerned. Brilliant to work with.
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

C.I.A. wrote:Hey Quiet Roar, looking for a book:

The Biological Evolution of Religious Mind and Behavior

Do you have it/know where I can find it?

:)

Almost finished 'Atlas Shrugged' by Ayn Rand. Objectionism is an odd philosophy, but I'm enjoying some of the concepts. I get the feeling that she wasn't a massive fan of communism lolz.
Sorry about the delay C.I.A. (my visits here are less common) but I have tracked down your book. Expensive fucker: $149.95.

Not sure if there would be many shops that would carry it as stock but I'm happy to get it in for you.

And big-ups Andrez!! That's fantastic stuff!
Last edited by quiet roar on Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

Andrez wrote: Also, I'm going to scale a shaky soapbox here and attempt to blow my own tuneless trumpet...

The first 2 chapters are now online as a bit of a freebie teaser here:

http://www.anothersky.org/2009/11/07/up ... -w-sample/
downloaded and read - love it! Will def buy when it comes out
Andrez

Post by Andrez »

apophenian wrote: downloaded and read - love it! Will def buy when it comes out
Fan-bloody-tastic... thank YOU, A. It's really unbelievably cool to get this kind of positive feedback, given that this baby was buried in my own head for around 18 years, and I was a wee bit concerned that it might get dissed as soon as it set foot outside that area...
And cheers to you too, Quiet Roar!

:angel9:
Expert Knob Twiddler

Post by Expert Knob Twiddler »

FullGain wrote:

Downloaded and taking a teabreak from reading. excellent dude.
thats bloody kewl if you ask me !!
gnat

Post by gnat »

BU andrez- that's brilliant

love this thread.. GK just read that time travellers thingimy too. hmmmm... was OK. maybe the hype pre killed it for me..

i hear that book thief is good too but was rec'd by same person who told me about time traveller's wife so... but i love nazi germany history so prob would like.. anyone else read?

re praise- i loved it but it's all about life in my old neck of the brissie woods. very raw and caused quite a ruckus when it came out. legend has it that he wrote it in just 2 months
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
gnat

Post by gnat »

Attn QR: Can you get in A Day at El Bulli and also a book called Terrine by Stephane someone French who cooks terrines?

and also how much they are? thank you muchly. need for xmas

cheers
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Oh!

I am interested in Terrine one too (presuming it is good)!
Don't hate me for house
gnat

Post by gnat »

write up here jameSSSS: A terrine is a traditional dish that takes its name from the earthenware pot in which it is cooked. Originally, terrines were made with chunks of meat, although modern recipes now include lighter alternatives such as fish and vegetables, offering a colourful and intensely flavoured range.

The terrine is once again becoming a popular dish for sharing amongst friends, family and neighbours. Stephane Reynaud, a celebrated chef who co-owns a restaurant in Paris and comes from a family of pig butchers, brings together his passion for rural French cooking and his enthusiasm for modern cuisine. His second cookbook, Terrine, is a compact and charming celebration of how to prepare, serve and enjoy this traditional, rustic food.As well as giving simple recipes for classic terrines, Reynaud also celebrates modern tastes and includes some more adventurous recipes that have been tried, tested, and loved. Each chapter in this book includes a small introduction, a few well-loved favourites as well as some surprising recipes that have evolved with contemporary cuisine.

The broad range on offer includes: Rabbit and Nut Terrine Spring Vegetable Terrine Gorgonzola, Mascarpone and Nut Terrine as well as dessert terrines such as a Chocolate and Raspberry Terrine.

The book is beautifully illustrated with photographs of each recipe, and each chapter includes a selection of sauces to accompany the main dishes. With such a diverse and surprising range of dishes, from classics through to modern adaptations, this book is guaranteed to put terrines back on the menu.
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

Andez: well done on your book!

The latest book I have read is by Melbourne girl, Lisa Dempster. Neon Pilgrim is her account of a pilgrimmage around an island in Japan visiting 88 temples. She finds out when she starts that it isn't as easy as she thought it was going to be. A great travel read, and so true to who she is. I loved it :D

http://www.readings.com.au/product/9780 ... on-pilgrim
Just because I rock, doesn't mean I'm made of stone.
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

gnat wrote:Attn QR: Can you get in A Day at El Bulli and also a book called Terrine by Stephane someone French who cooks terrines?

cheers
Got both, gnat, which you would probably know if you actually popped in occassionally :|

E Bulli: $75
Terrine: $45
Expert Knob Twiddler

Post by Expert Knob Twiddler »

Polecat wrote:Andrez: well done on your book!

The latest book I have read is by Melbourne girl, Lisa Dempster. Neon Pilgrim is her account of a pilgrimmage around an island in Japan visiting 88 temples. She finds out when she starts that it isn't as easy as she thought it was going to be. A great travel read, and so true to who she is. I loved it :D

http://www.readings.com.au/product/9780 ... on-pilgrim

Yeah I enjoyed this book too!
gnat

Post by gnat »

quiet roar wrote:
gnat wrote:Attn QR: Can you get in A Day at El Bulli and also a book called Terrine by Stephane someone French who cooks terrines?

cheers
Got both, gnat, which you would probably know if you actually popped in occassionally :|

E Bulli: $75
Terrine: $45
:hiding:

put em both aside mister and we'll see you this weekend. feel i should bring a peace offering.. choukette coffee?
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

OK finally borrowed Bunny by Nick Cave. gonna take it overseas. should getme through some of theat flight time.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

Andrez - that is fricken cool! Will check it out for sure.

can't wait for some time off to finally do some reading. don't really get enough time anymore to read other than work stuff and the paper
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

Just picked up a new book....

Catching the Wolf of Wall Street - sequel to the Wolf of Wall Street.

first one was good, see how the second holds up.

anyone else read it?
Andrez

Post by Andrez »

Lizkins wrote:Andrez - that is fricken cool! Will check it out for sure.
Thanks, Lizkins!
Can't wait till the bugger is published - prob'ly midway through 2010.
Twiddling fingers till then!! ;)
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

Andrez wrote:
Thanks, Lizkins!

yeah i reckon! must be so damn exciting though aye :D
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

I loved the original, not sure how I feel about a sequel:

Horror author Stephen King announced this week that he's started writing a sequel to The Shining!

King revealed at an appearance in Toronto, Canada, that the new novel, with a working title of Doctor Sleep, will jump ahead 40 years from where the last novel left off and follow the story of Danny Torrance, son of The Shining's lead character, Jack.

The author joked with the crowd, telling them he's a bit nervous to write the novel, but said, "Maybe if I keep talking about it I won't have to write it."
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

gnat wrote:put em both aside mister and we'll see you this weekend. feel i should bring a peace offering.. choukette coffee?
I just sold Terrine on the weekend but we will be getting in some more early next week. I'll put Ebulli away for you and I'll put aside a Terrine when they come in.

I only do choukette coffee on Sundays (when La Paloma is closed ;)).
gnat

Post by gnat »

see ya sat then. what flavour?
Andrez

Post by Andrez »

Lizkins wrote:
Andrez wrote:
Thanks, Lizkins!

yeah i reckon! must be so damn exciting though aye :D
Ha Ha Ha - yep!! But I keep fretting that the publisher will go out of business before then!! :shock:
Inane, pointless paranoia kicks in... heh-heh...
deviant

Post by deviant »

I read this the other day... great book...

Reminded me of CIA though huhuhu

Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Just finished "What Ever You Say I Am" the Eminem biography and also the Public Enemy biography. Both books offer awesome insight to the workings of 2 of the biggets hip-hop acts that haven't been killed yet.
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

Perdido St Station by China Mieville is one of the best books I have read for ages...